PDA

View Full Version : UL Summer cover option?

Lnj
07-28-2016, 15:57
On a recent hike over Memorial Day weekend, when it was hot as crap in South Georgia, I brought my regular sleeping bag. The first night, I was so hot I slept in pretty much nothing and just laid out on my foam pad, but around the wee hours, I got a chill. I wouldn't call it legitimately "cold" but just enough of a chill to be uncomfortable and wake me up so that I had to find a ladies tree. No good. The next night, I did the same but pulled my PJs out so as soon as the HOT left me I put on some clothes. Same thing happened. Mind you, days were in the 90s and nights in the 70s. I was just thinking I wasted a lot of space and weight bringing my big bag in the summer but... still I needed something on me. The last night I just yanked my bag, still all zipped up, over on top of me and I was comfy.

I said all that to say this... I am looking for a super lightweight something to take on summer hikes when I just need a something over me to knock the chill off. I was look at the SOL Escape Bivy. 8.5oz. Reflects heat. $60. How does that sound for an option? Does anyone have any experience with these? The ones I saw said it was breathable, so less condensation issues. Sounds reasonable unless someone has a horror story to share.

daddytwosticks
07-28-2016, 16:10
Want something cheap and durable? Consider a surplus military poncho liner. :)

Lnj
07-28-2016, 16:12
Want something cheap and durable? Consider a surplus military poncho liner. :)

But how heavy are they? I think my husband has one. He calls it a "Wooby?" Looking to save space and weight.

swisscross
07-28-2016, 16:22
In super warm temps I take a down throw I picked up at costco for 20 dollars. Weighs a lb and packs tiny.

AfterParty
07-28-2016, 16:31
Ya a wooby is a poncho liner. +1 to that they weigh 1.2ish

Lnj
07-28-2016, 16:34
So no one has any opinions or experience with the SOL Escape Bivy? It's only 8.5oz.

egilbe
07-28-2016, 19:31
Never used one, but plenty of reviews on REI

https://www.rei.com/product/832336/sol-escape-bivy

One of them was even an AT hiker!

Odd Man Out
07-28-2016, 20:16
I have a 40 deg quilt for summer camping. Very versitile. You can cover up as much or as little as necessary. When I go to sleep (even on cold nights) I always lay on top of the quilt to cool down. When I get chilled I just pull the quilt over me. On a hot night I may sleep through half the night before waking up with the need to cover up. It's the way I've always slept when camping.

Maydog
07-29-2016, 01:11
A fleece throw is less than $20 and about a lb.

Maydog
07-29-2016, 01:23
A fleece throw is less than $20 and about a lb.

orthofingers
07-29-2016, 07:10
I used one last summer in Connecticut on a three-day weekend where the temps maybe got down into the 60s.

Pros:
very light
rolls up small (about the size of a 1L Nalgene bottle)
"breathes" as advertised, no condensation or moisture issues

Cons:
a bit small for me. I'm 6'2" but skinny.
although mine held up fine, including the zipper, I don't think they would last for days and days on the trail..

i would definitely buy another if they made one in a long size.

daddytwosticks
07-29-2016, 07:10
I use a Montbell Thermal Sheet as a quilt. Very light - about 14 ounces - but pricy. Most good quality quilts are going to cost you.

I think the general opinion about those "emergency" bivys are that they are like oven roaster bags, especially in the summer. I have no first hand experience with these products but I believe they produce lots of condensation. Consider that for an already warm and humid environment. :)

Just Bill
07-29-2016, 08:35
So no one has any opinions or experience with the SOL Escape Bivy? It's only 8.5oz.

The latest one is smaller (I couldn't really fit in it well at 5'10", and a bit clammy for use as a high summer bag IMO.
I do sleep hot, but much past 60* it didn't keep up with me that well. It works in a pinch or for a quick weekend trip.
Joey Camps used one for his PCT record attempt- but didn't have to fight the ambient humidity as badly as you would out east- so he was happy enough with it.

I got it to try for my little guy as a cowboy camping option- but it swallows him up and the skeeters like him to much to cowboy camp.

I was going to list it for sale soon if you are interested send me a PM and I'll see if I can dig it up.

In high summer (60-70+ nights and humidity)- Nothing beats a cotton/poly bedsheet sewn up into a quilt IMO.

ChuckT
07-29-2016, 09:22
If you need fancier - Coleman has a fleece sleeping bag liner with a zipper. At 6+ it fits me well enough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Lnj
07-29-2016, 12:45
I think I have gotten several better options than the one I originally asked about on here. THANKS so much everyone! I have few throws to look at and try. I am also thinking of just taking a king size sheet and folding it in half and sewing it together to make my own sheet bag. I just want the warmest, lightest options that takes up the least amount of space. My current bag is a MH Torch Synthetic at 4.7 lbs. so I am looking to take some serious weight off by just replacing that for summer hikes.

saltysack
07-29-2016, 23:19
JRB has seconds on sale often...I have the 50* Sierra stealth...light and can be worn as jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmoulder
07-30-2016, 09:21
On a recent hike over Memorial Day weekend, when it was hot as crap in South Georgia, I brought my regular sleeping bag. The first night, I was so hot I slept in pretty much nothing and just laid out on my foam pad, but around the wee hours, I got a chill. I wouldn't call it legitimately "cold" but just enough of a chill to be uncomfortable and wake me up so that I had to find a ladies tree. No good. The next night, I did the same but pulled my PJs out so as soon as the HOT left me I put on some clothes. Same thing happened. Mind you, days were in the 90s and nights in the 70s. I was just thinking I wasted a lot of space and weight bringing my big bag in the summer but... still I needed something on me. The last night I just yanked my bag, still all zipped up, over on top of me and I was comfy.

I said all that to say this... I am looking for a super lightweight something to take on summer hikes when I just need a something over me to knock the chill off. I was look at the SOL Escape Bivy. 8.5oz. Reflects heat. $60. How does that sound for an option? Does anyone have any experience with these? The ones I saw said it was breathable, so less condensation issues. Sounds reasonable unless someone has a horror story to share.

My summer quilt is an EE Revelation 50F. 11.3 oz and squashes down to the size of a softball.

Rmcpeak
07-30-2016, 17:52
My summer quilt is an EE Revelation 50F. 11.3 oz and squashes down to the size of a softball.

What type down and nylon you got in that thing? I have 40 deg Prodigy (climashield). It's too hot and clammy in mid summer. Want something breathier and lighter...

cmoulder
07-30-2016, 19:19
The down in that quilt is 850fp goose (happens to be DownTek treated stuff), with 10D shell inside and out.

I have two 40°F Prodigy quilts, one with 10D all around and one with 20D. The 10D weighs 17.7 oz and the 20D weighs 23 oz. The Prodigy is superb for cool, rainy weather.

Dogwood
07-31-2016, 18:26
A summer temp rated quilt(40-50*) sounds like it could work for you. Or, how about a silk bag liner with stretchy side panels? The liner or quilt can be used in conjunction with other gear ton extend your gear options stretching your do re mi.

MtDoraDave
07-31-2016, 21:14
I use a $40, 40 degree synthetic bag from wally world for my summer bag. It stuffs to about 5 x10" and weighs 2 lbs. I keep it unzipped and open, and when I get cool in the middle of the night I just pull it over me.
Sounds like there are lighter options, though.

alnitak
08-03-2016, 10:22
Get a silk liner from JagBag. Works great on those hot summer nights. Only drawback is having to climb inside it. Wish it would open up to just lay on, then pull over one edge in the middle of the night if you need it. I used to use a fleece liner that worked that way, or could even zipper up for colder nights. However, that was 2# vs. 6 oz for the silk liner.

UL_Packer
08-08-2016, 22:27
If i were you i would just buy a silk sleeping bag liner or pick up a used quilt. I had a friend that bought one of these and though he was really cool until he got it hung on a twig and tore it open. IMO there are much better options for equal or less money.

Uncle Joe
08-08-2016, 23:31
I use an REI Travel Down travel bag.