PDA

View Full Version : Essential Oils???

lilroo
07-30-2016, 10:07
I'm planning a 500 mile trip in Sept/Oct and use essential oils all the time. I've done some research on smells attracting wildlife, but I'm curious if there is anyone else who has successfully used them on the trail. I would be taking Frankincense, Lavender, and a mint blend for sore muscles/bruises. Let me know if you have knowledge on these specific scents/oils.

Tipi Walter
07-30-2016, 11:00
I used to bring patchouli oil on my trips cuz I liked the smell and was never eaten by an animal. Plus, for the last 40 years I've carry stick incense on all my trips and burn it in my tent vestibule and it's something I continue to do to this day. It dispels bugs and brightens the mood. Hain't been eaten by a bear yet. Beyond all this, our typical human stank, our trail stank, will attract whatever animal who wants to investigate.

But I don't spend alot of time in the Smokies (too many stupid rules) so caution might be needed with the big protected bear population there.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2013-1/19-Days-of-Solitude/i-Rfncncx/0/XL/TRIP%20151%20005-XL.jpg

lilroo
07-30-2016, 13:46
I used to bring patchouli oil on my trips cuz I liked the smell and was never eaten by an animal. Plus, for the last 40 years I've carry stick incense on all my trips and burn it in my tent vestibule and it's something I continue to do to this day. It dispels bugs and brightens the mood. Hain't been eaten by a bear yet. Beyond all this, our typical human stank, our trail stank, will attract whatever animal who wants to investigate.

But I don't spend alot of time in the Smokies (too many stupid rules) so caution might be needed with the big protected bear population there.

Fantastic! I was thinking the same thing. the smell of essential oils don't last too long on the skin anyway...nothing like perfumes or scented lotions. Lavender is my swiss army knife of oils! I can't imagine leaving home without it. I won't be near the smokies.

Traffic Jam
07-30-2016, 18:21
I've been wondering the same thing. I'm making a natural, anti-chafe cream/moisturizer that will have peppermint oil, coconut oil, shea butter, vitamin E and a few other ingredients.

lilroo, where do you buy your oils? I've been looking at Mountain Rose Herbs. They are pricier but appear to be good quality.

Traffic Jam
07-30-2016, 18:43

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2013-1/19-Days-of-Solitude/i-Rfncncx/0/XL/TRIP%20151%20005-XL.jpg

Do you stick it in the ground?

Tipi Walter
07-30-2016, 19:38
Do you stick it in the ground?

Not serious, right? Of course it goes into the ground. But great caution is needed as I've burned holes in my gear and one time a stick burned completely thru an old orange Thermarest in the Shining Rock wilderness back in 1982.

Water Rat
07-30-2016, 20:22
I'm planning a 500 mile trip in Sept/Oct and use essential oils all the time. I've done some research on smells attracting wildlife, but I'm curious if there is anyone else who has successfully used them on the trail. I would be taking Frankincense, Lavender, and a mint blend for sore muscles/bruises. Let me know if you have knowledge on these specific scents/oils.

Mint and peppermint are loved by bears. This is why they tell us to store toothpaste with food when bear-bagging. Mint will also attract raccoons and muskrats that is why trappers will use that as a lure.

With that, black bears are normally timid creatures. Unfortunately, there are parts of the trail where they are definitely way too comfortable around people. In these areas it might be best to forgo the mint. Personally, I would be a bit more concerned about attracting raccoons. Those little rascals love to steal stuff out of camp and cause mayhem.

Tipi Walter
07-30-2016, 20:40
I've been brewing up peppermint tea every morning for decades and only once had a black bear walk into my camp but it was at dinner time with no mint in the air. It was a hot day and I think he was trying to follow the camp trail to the creek behind my tent.

Raccoons have never been a serious problem although I've seen several. One time in 1999 I was setting up camp in the dark in Pisgah NF and my backpacking buddy George asked me, "Hey Walt, I saw your food bag moving down to the creek." And yes a raccoon nabbed it and strewn all my food in a straight line to water. Even ate half a block of cheese.

One time recently I was set up on Bald River in TN and two raccoons decided to climb a tree right above my tent and spend the night. See below.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2010/18-Days-in-the-Bald-River/i-LzntRTL/0/L/TRIP%20113%20071-L.jpg

rocketsocks
07-30-2016, 22:43
I've been brewing up peppermint tea every morning for decades and only once had a black bear walk into my camp but it was at dinner time with no mint in the air. It was a hot day and I think he was trying to follow the camp trail to the creek behind my tent.

Raccoons have never been a serious problem although I've seen several. One time in 1999 I was setting up camp in the dark in Pisgah NF and my backpacking buddy George asked me, "Hey Walt, I saw your food bag moving down to the creek." And yes a raccoon nabbed it and strewn all my food in a straight line to water. Even ate half a block of cheese.

One time recently I was set up on Bald River in TN and two raccoons decided to climb a tree right above my tent and spend the night. See below.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2010/18-Days-in-the-Bald-River/i-LzntRTL/0/L/TRIP%20113%20071-L.jpg
Now that's an award winning photo right there. I can't help but wonder what racoon scat looks like after a whole block of cheese, gotta be pretty scary lookin' and barely identifiable as such.

lilroo
07-30-2016, 23:01
I've been wondering the same thing. I'm making a natural, anti-chafe cream/moisturizer that will have peppermint oil, coconut oil, shea butter, vitamin E and a few other ingredients.

lilroo, where do you buy your oils? I've been looking at Mountain Rose Herbs. They are pricier but appear to be good quality.

Hey there Traffic Jam! I am actually a distributer of Young Living Essential Oils. I chose them because of their "Seed to Seal" promise. They own and co-op all of their farms and do extensive testing with no additives. Feel free to message me if you have questions. I want to heal emotionally and want to use Frankincense every day as it is high in sesquiterpenes. Also Lavender is good for burns, allergies, calm, sleep, colds, etc. Good for you making your own products. It's really great to learn how to do that. shea butter is magical!!!!

lilroo
07-30-2016, 23:03

Oh my gosh, I am laughing so hard!!!!!!!! your post cracked me up!!!!! Thanks for the info!

lilroo
07-30-2016, 23:06
Mint and peppermint are loved by bears. This is why they tell us to store toothpaste with food when bear-bagging. Mint will also attract raccoons and muskrats that is why trappers will use that as a lure.

With that, black bears are normally timid creatures. Unfortunately, there are parts of the trail where they are definitely way too comfortable around people. In these areas it might be best to forgo the mint. Personally, I would be a bit more concerned about attracting raccoons. Those little rascals love to steal stuff out of camp and cause mayhem.

Thanks for the tip Water Rat... I'll be in New England and not near Shanendoah or Smokies. Hopefully I won't need the mint too much and I'll be sure to put it on way before bed time, in order to let the smell evaporate. I plan on putting my oils in my bear bag with food and toiletries as well. One time I sprained my knee hiking and my mint blend "Deep Relief" quickened the recovery!

Traffic Jam
07-31-2016, 07:44
Hey there Traffic Jam! I am actually a distributer of Young Living Essential Oils. I chose them because of their "Seed to Seal" promise. They own and co-op all of their farms and do extensive testing with no additives. Feel free to message me if you have questions. I want to heal emotionally and want to use Frankincense every day as it is high in sesquiterpenes. Also Lavender is good for burns, allergies, calm, sleep, colds, etc. Good for you making your own products. It's really great to learn how to do that. shea butter is magical!!!!

Thank you, I'll keep you in mind.

Traffic Jam
07-31-2016, 07:51
Not serious, right? Of course it goes into the ground. But great caution is needed as I've burned holes in my gear and one time a stick burned completely thru an old orange Thermarest in the Shining Rock wilderness back in 1982.

Uh, yeah...it was a serious question. Thought you had some creative way to burn something in your vestibule without torching your tent.

Tipi Walter
07-31-2016, 09:08
Uh, yeah...it was a serious question. Thought you had some creative way to burn something in your vestibule without torching your tent.

A lit stick of incense won't torch a tent---at worst it'll create a burn hole in the fly if they happen to meet.

Water Rat
07-31-2016, 11:17
Thanks for the tip Water Rat... I'll be in New England and not near Shanendoah or Smokies. Hopefully I won't need the mint too much and I'll be sure to put it on way before bed time, in order to let the smell evaporate. I plan on putting my oils in my bear bag with food and toiletries as well. One time I sprained my knee hiking and my mint blend "Deep Relief" quickened the recovery!

No worries - Up north you are probably less likely to have issues with bears and the bigger critters. If you do have any curious bears (not likely during hunting season) just pull out a camera and the bear will flee the scene. :)

It's more the smaller critters who will be pesky. I tend to camp away from shelters and have never had issues with mice, but have had a few encounters with raccoons who thought it would be fun to play a game of hide and seek with small items. I still want to know why one raccoon thought my gross and stinky sock made a wonderful prize... I managed to get the sock back, but was a bit concerned about the raccoon's well-being.

Dogwood
07-31-2016, 18:17
I do various incense in camp to dispel insects and brighten the mood too. Never an issue.

I also do essential oils(lavender, lemongrass, tea tree, peppermint, geranium, etc) in an almond oil base as an insect repellent applied to exposed skin at times. I have some with me now. Never a problem with wildlife.

The essential oils can irritate eyes and damage some clothing like membrane lined rain jackets though so care is in order. The essential oil insect repellent WORKS BUT IT WORKS FOR LESS DURATION meaning it simply has to be applied more often on occasion.

In addition to these items I regularly support Bert's Bees products that contain moisturizers(shea/coconut butter, olive oil, etc) and have essential oils that overall add to another layer of insect defense and dryness. Plus, they are a a masking scent to my funkiness trail grime A ROME A. :D

Tipi Walter
07-31-2016, 20:38
Little Mitten turned me onto Avon's skin so soft as insect juice and it's been part of my standard load for the last two trips. Perfumey but keeps the dreaded noseeums away . . . most of the time.

lilroo
07-31-2016, 20:46
I do various incense in camp to dispel insects and brighten the mood too. Never an issue.

I also do essential oils(lavender, lemongrass, tea tree, peppermint, geranium, etc) in an almond oil base as an insect repellent applied to exposed skin at times. I have some with me now. Never a problem with wildlife.

The essential oils can irritate eyes and damage some clothing like membrane lined rain jackets though so care is in order. The essential oil insect repellent WORKS BUT IT WORKS FOR LESS DURATION meaning it simply has to be applied more often on occasion.

In addition to these items I regularly support Bert's Bees products that contain moisturizers(shea/coconut butter, olive oil, etc) and have essential oils that overall add to another layer of insect defense and dryness. Plus, they are a a masking scent to my funkiness trail grime A ROME A. :D

Awesome! Yeah, I love making my own bug spray, but you're right, it doesn't last as long. So glad to hear you haven't had a problem!