PDA

View Full Version : tn/nc october

bstiffler
07-30-2016, 10:41
thinking about taking 6 or 7 days and hikine davenport to devils fork and was wondering the best place to fly into to shuttle to the trail. I was thinking Asheville but I don't know tn airports very well to know it there's one closer there

MuddyWaters
07-30-2016, 11:09
I think it would be simpler just to drive , park car at end, and take one shuttle. If your in tampa area, flying and shuttling wont be much quicker by time go thru atlanta with layover, etc.

If it were me, Id park at Standing Bear hostel. spend night, get shuttle north to starting point. When get back to standing bear, go tag daveport gap and either hike back or arrange for pickup there. Or get a ride from standing bear to davenport and then hike back.

Really much easier to hike town to town, or such as opposed to hiking remote road crossing to remote road crossing. But lots of people do insist on this due to lack of time, etc.

moldy
07-30-2016, 11:37
You will have an easier time flying into Knoxville TN. Call Standing Bear hostel for shuttle info.

saltysack
07-30-2016, 13:51
Way easier to drive...although we just got cheap air service to Asheville on Allegiant....$39.00 one way out of Jax direct flight. Still much easier to drive...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rmcpeak
07-30-2016, 17:50
Check out Mountain Harbour B&B/Hostel on 19E. Standing Bear to Mountain Harbour would be an awesome hike.

map man
07-30-2016, 18:30
Check out Mountain Harbour B&B/Hostel on 19E. Standing Bear to Mountain Harbour would be an awesome hike.

This suggestion would involve hiking 152 miles in 6 or 7 days -- not awesome for most hikers.

Bstiffler, if you do fly into Knoxville Ron McGaha of Highlands Shuttle Service would be a good option. He's based out of Newport TN which is situated between Knoxville and Standing Bear Farm. I had a good experience when he shuttled me in that area in 2015. He is on page 5 of the ATC's shuttlers list at the following link:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/at-shuttles9eccde6668ce6efcb07bff000057c13a.pdf?sfvrs n=0

For what it's worth, it looks like it's a 55 mile drive for a shuttle driver to get you from the Asheville Airport to Standing Bear Farm, while it's 80 to 85 miles from the Knoxville Airport to Standing Bear. It looks to be about 50 miles from Devil Fork Gap to Asheville Airport, and around 120 miles from Devil Fork to the Knoxville Airport. It's about 50 miles from Devil Fork to the Tri-Cities Airport in TN (100 miles from Tri-Cities to Standing Bear).