PDA

View Full Version : Northern VA/MD weekend

Patrick
01-08-2006, 01:50
Hey guys,

I'm going to be hiking next weekend (late Friday to Monday afternoon) with a friend. I usually hike in Shenandoah, but am looking for something new, so thought I'd be lazy and see if anyone had any recommendations.

I hike a lot, my friend not as much. With the short days and our combined rustiness, we'll probably be looking for something like a loop or point-to-point in the neighborhood of 30 miles.

I'm figuring just hiking in a few miles Friday night, then ten on Saturday and Sunday, then finishing up in the afternoon Monday.

Thanks, everyone.

teachergal
01-08-2006, 11:10
I too usually go to SNP but here are some other places that I like or have heard about...

Prince William Forest Park - it's near Quantico, down I-95 south till you see the sign for it....it's right after the HOV lanes end. Shocking that this park is just seconds from I-95...it's quiet rolling terrian with a several forks of Quantico creek running through it. The hiking isn't hard at all you can put together hikes that combine several trails and are various lengths, there are lots of resident beavers (I have never seen one but have seen evidence of them), they have cabins you can rent and there is a campground which I beileve is open year round - no backpacking though - except in a special area. Check nps.gov

Bull Run-Occoquan Trail - this trail runs right along the edge of Fairfax County and Prince William County along the Occoquan Resevior. It's 17 miles long I believe. It's starts at Bull Run Regional Park in Manassass and runs to Fountainhead Regional Park in Lorton. It's hard to believe that this trail is in the middle of Fairfax County - it's beautiful! There's not much info out there on the web about it - google Bull Run Regional Park... There is also some info on PATC's web site under places to hike. No backpacking along the trail, however I believe Bull Run Campground is open year round.

Sugarloaf MT - it's in MD but I'm not sure where - google it.

Catocin Mt NP - it's also in MD go to the NPS website to learn more

Another great resource if the PATC trails forum - there are lots of folks on there who know of some great places to go around here...here's the link for that:
http://www.hypernews.org/HyperNews/get/trails/PATC.html

Spirit Walker
01-08-2006, 11:49
You can't backpack on those trails - they're for dayhikes. There are public campgrounds - but they may not work well for a backpacking trip. They are all good dayhikes though. Other good ones for dayhikes in the area include Little Bennett SP and the Seneca Creek Trail.

Backpacking in this area is pretty limited - the AT is always good. South from Ashby Gap is pretty easy. North is the infamous roller coaster - not so easy. The Tuscarora Trail is easily accessible. Since it's lower than the Shenandoahs it works well for winter hiking - once hunting season is over. You can do loops out of the Elizabeth Furnace area. You can backpack on the Greenridge trail, but you need a permit, I think, from the Park office. That is a nice little used trail, not maintained much, but in winter the many stream crossings could be a problem. Western Maryland has a couple of good trails for backpacking - the New Germany Backpackers Loop and Big Savage. PATC sells guidebooks to western Maryland Trails and the Massanutten/ North Mountain area, as well as the Tuscarora.

LostInSpace
01-08-2006, 16:46
I'm not sure you can come up with enough of a loop for a backpack, but you might look at the topos for this area. In any case, a good day hike in northern VA is in the G. Richard Thompson State Wildlife Management Area. You can do a loop that encompasses a portion of the AT in that area and pick up some trails swing east and south. You will likely not see anyone on the trail there.

Going west on I-66 from DC, you exit a mile or so west of Manassas Gap and then double back on VA 55 parallel to I-66. Go north on VA 638 for 3.5 miles. There is a parking area and sign board with a trail map on the left. If you pass the radio towers at the top of the hill, you just missed the parking area.

WRT Catoctin Mountain Park, if Chaney or Bush is at Camp David, then the NPS closes down half of the trails in the park, so you might want to call the park before going these.

Smooth
01-08-2006, 22:50
Go to PATC.net , your local hiking club. I maintain part of the Tuscarora Trail (250+ mi) which goes from the AT near Carlise, Penn. south past the C&O Canal in Hancock, MD on to the AT in Shen. Park. From there you can go north past the C&O canal in Harpers Ferry and on north to finish the loop. P.S. right now there is a very short closed spot near the southern end, see PATC web site. Lots of backpacking in this area!

Patrick
01-08-2006, 23:01
Thanks everyone; that's great feedback. Smooth, I'll definitely check that out on PATC. That loops sounds awesome. I did the PA/MD line to Shenandoah a few years back and really enjoyed it. It sounds like maybe a little long for a couple of out of shape hikers, though :)