PDA

View Full Version : Free standing tent or trekking poles?

FreeGoldRush
07-30-2016, 20:27
A tent like the z-packs duplex appears ideal. It is 20.5 ounces and uses your trekking poles. But I see people with free standing tents. Can you offer opinions on the advantage of a free standing tent? This will be my first backpacking tent purchase. Thanks.

Sarcasm the elf
07-30-2016, 20:51
I switched from freestanding tents to a non-freestanding one about three years ago. For the most part it doesn't make much of a difference and was well worth the weight difference in my case. The two advantages that freestanding tents have over non-freestanding are that 1) they are easier to pick up and move if you decide that you don't like the spot where you set them up, 2) Freestanding tents are easier to set up on the wooden tent platforms that seem to be popping up at established sites all over the A.T.. If you have some extra cord or a couple of nearby rocks it is still easy enough to use the platforms, but it takes a little extra time and thought.

QiWiz
07-30-2016, 21:22
Once poles are in place (but before staking it down), a freestanding tent can be picked up and moved easily to a different location. Debris can be shaken out of it just by picking it up with a door open. A freestanding tent is also much easier to pitch on a tent platform if that's what you have to work with.

That said, I have not owned or used a freestanding tent in a couple decades. I like shaped tarps like the Zpacks models, I set them up with hiking poles. When faced with a tent platform, I get creative and have been able to manage (usually with rocks instead of tent pegs). A tarp is lighter. I like lighter.

MuddyWaters
07-30-2016, 21:50
Freestanding are usually conventional double wall. They are more secure in storms, may have less condensation than sungle wall. Come with taped seams.

Still need all the guylines staked to be weather worthy. They are heavier.

Hosh
07-30-2016, 22:30
I think "secure in storms" is more a function of the tent's design rather than freestanding versus non-freestanding. A great example is the Tarptent Stratospire models. They are very storm worthy with great aerodynamic shape to shed high winds, snow loads and swirling wind shifts. Using trekking poles as vertical supports allows very heavy, high tension on stake outs and guy lines due to the stiffness of the trekking poles. Most freestanding tents, especially UL versions have to sacrifice pole strength for weight considerations. Stake and guy line tension has to be balanced to avoid distorting the pole setup geometry.

My experience for deciding to select a non-freestanding tent is based on whether you already carry 2 trekking poles (weight reduction) and the availability of reasonably level sites that don't require multiple setups orientations to avoid tree roots, boulders or adjust to prevailing winds.

Hangfire
07-31-2016, 01:45
It is possible!

garlic08
07-31-2016, 08:04
Ditto all the above.

I once saw a freestanding tent high in a tree below a shelf lake in the Rockies, sleeping bags spilling out the open door. The campers failed to stake it down well enough. You absolutely need to learn to stake all tents securely. (Titanium stakes are real good for this.) You might as well also learn to pick a good site the first time too so you don't have to move. A non-freestanding tent will save weight and, I think, money.

Of course, there are other reasons to select a freestanding tent, and it's often the right tool for the job.

DuneElliot
07-31-2016, 09:34
ZPacks offers a free-standing pole option with the Duplex, but it adds 10oz to the weight of the tent and costs $150 more for the poles putting it in the same weight category as other less-expensive double-wall tents. I own the Duplex and I don't think you'll be disappointed...I love mine.

Odd Man Out
07-31-2016, 15:04
When I was backpacking last summer my buddy was setting up his freestanding tent with its long, flimsy, complex pole system. My thought was if a tent pole breaks or bends, how do you set it up? With my tent, if I break a trekking pole, I can always whittle a stick as a back up. Fairly good chance I could find a stick.

garlic08
07-31-2016, 18:11
When I was backpacking last summer my buddy was setting up his freestanding tent with its long, flimsy, complex pole system. My thought was if a tent pole breaks or bends, how do you set it up? With my tent, if I break a trekking pole, I can always whittle a stick as a back up. Fairly good chance I could find a stick.

I've noticed the same, several times. My pitch is fast and easy and I'm usually done before others' poles (rhymes with "Bubba") even get assembled. And once my friend's pole bent back out of its socket and poked him, fairly badly, in the eye. And this was a very experienced camper.