PDA

View Full Version : Deciding between NOBO and SOBO

KTontheAT
07-31-2016, 23:12
Hey y'all, I have a question that I've been mulling over for a few years now. I've been planning on hiking the AT when I graduate from college in 2017. I was hoping to graduate early so I could NOBO in March 2017 but it looks like I wont be graduating until May. I REALLY want to hike from GA to ME, because any other way just feels wrong and anticlimactic. However, if the only way I will be able to thruhike the entire trail is from hiking SOBO, then I will definitely do that.

SO, my question. Is it possible that if I start May 15th in GA, that I would be able to finish the trail in ME on time? I've read over some Baxter State Park regulations, and it seems they don't let people summit Katahdin past October 15th. Is this true? I would hate to make it all the way to Maine and be past the deadline to summit, if it's strictly enforced. Is it possible to complete the trail in 5 months? Or would I be pushing it too much to be starting so late in GA?

rafe
07-31-2016, 23:32
You can certainly make it with an early May start but you'll need to keep a decent steady pace. Most thru hikes take about five months, give or take a few weeks.

rhjanes
08-01-2016, 00:32
There are new rules in place in Baxter. So check on that. But I believe the park closes for OVER NIGHT camping no later than October 15. Earlier at ranger discretion. The issue becomes, you have to be at the gate when they open it, drive in, register, and it is roughly an 8 hour hike up and back....then you have to exit the park (no over night). Hence the issues with "climbing after October 15th".
As noted, if you go fairly light weight on pack, don't party in every town and keep going. Should be doable for you.
I'd still say, start on May 15. Do a 10 or 12 mile day's that first week. Then, shoot for 10 to 14 the second week. Then 12 to 16 the third week. After that, you should be able to hike longer days. Remember the addage about "too much(weight), too fast (starting out) and too far".

AfterParty
08-01-2016, 00:38
You could go north from Harper's then flip to springer and go n again.

map man
08-01-2016, 08:29
I believe hardly any SOBOs fortunate enough to make it the whole way feel they had an anticlimactic experience. As for whether you can complete a NOBO thru-hike in less than five months, being fit helps, having previous backpacking experience helps, being disciplined helps, but some people without any of those things do complete a thru-hike every year -- and some who have all those things going for them don't make it.

Around 20-25% of attempting thru-hikers end up completing and of those who do complete around 25% do it in under 5 months.

Sarcasm the elf
08-01-2016, 08:48
Doesn't seem anticlimactic to me:

https://youtu.be/BplLojDwp0c

(Okay, so that SOBO was finish was a successful speed record attempt, but it still seems cool to me.)

swisscross
08-01-2016, 10:28
I have little desire to attempt a thru but I change my mind my attempt would be SOBO.
I like the idea of walking home.
Could extend the hike to the BMT then to Pinhoti and finish about 45 minutes from home.

Hikingjim
08-01-2016, 10:54
if you go at all earlier in May, you'd have more room for error. But you could make it if you go at a good pace
If you go and you find you're behind schedule for whatever reason, you could flip up to katahdin and head south to finish.

sadlowskiadam
08-01-2016, 11:38
If you have concerns about starting on time, why not start in Damascus, VA and head north. You can finish in Maine with all the other NOBO's, and then flip-flop back Damascus and hike south and finish with some of the SOBO's at Springer Mountain. This way you are guaranteed the best of both finishes.

KTontheAT
08-02-2016, 01:03
I remember seeing this video! So great. Even though that was for a record, it is not anticlimactic. I used the wrong word. Personally for me I just envisioned myself finishing at Katahdin for the past 3 years, so it just seems wrong doing it another way. But who knows, finishing this way would definitely be one heck of a feat! thanks for sharing!

KTontheAT
08-02-2016, 01:05
That's actually something that I've considered too. I would be walking past home, but only by one state. I feel like walking home may even give me more motivation. who knows

TJ aka Teej
08-02-2016, 13:00
they don't let people summit Katahdin past October 15th. Is this true?
Nope. Last season dayhikers were going up well into November.
However, I've been fortunate enough to be in Baxter almost every October for the last three decades, and I strongly advise all ATers to plan their summit for no later than Oct. 1st.

wookinpanub
08-02-2016, 13:43
That's actually something that I've considered too. I would be walking past home, but only by one state. I feel like walking home may even give me more motivation. who knows

I chose to do a southbound thru because I lived in Florida and I thought the idea of hiking in the direction of home would be motivational. It was the right decision. Some days, it was the only thing that kept me going. Make no mistake about it, the mental challenge is the monster you're up against. As far as being anti-climactic......my family was able to hike the last mile with me and be there for the finish. That provided a pretty good ending. Also, as the trip wore on and my mental challenge grew, I started hiking through areas I had been before....the Shenandoahs, the Smokies, NOC, north GA, etc. It was an extreme mental boost to realize I had walked to those places after starting in Maine.

SGTJones
08-02-2016, 13:58
I started May 8, made it to Waynesboro at day 70 after really taking my time for the first 500 miles. Then slowed to a crawl to hike with GF to HF so my pace now isn't representative of what you'd be doing.

I'll flip at Harper's and head south. The problem with a start in May isn't so much time, as it is water in PA, NY. The springs are super dry in Aug and it becomes dangerous to be out in those temps with scarce water. People do it, trail angels help a lot, but still dangerous. I'd rather not risk running out of water on a super hot Aug day.

So you could just start in Springer in May and play it by ear. It you're going fast just thru, if not flip at Harper's or somewhere along the way.

Some benefits of starting "late":
No fighting for space in shelters, plenty of campsites, hostels always have room.
No dealing with freezing rain and ice/snow.
Everything is in bloom and gorgeous. I went through Roam Mtn while all the rhododendrons and azaleas were in full bloom, so beautiful.

And if you flip you miss all the black flies and snow/cold up north. So imo starting late and flipping has many advantages.

Lone Wolf
08-02-2016, 14:52
so it's about the destination not the trip?

RockDoc
08-02-2016, 16:31
The October cutoff is there for a reason. The weather can be deadly.

There's no reason to plan on such a late finish, unless you have really blown it planning. Do a flip flop and it's not a problem.

fiddlehead
08-02-2016, 19:41
I started NOBO May 9 in '95.
Finished at Katahdin Oct 9 that year.
Took a week off in July.
But it wasn't my first hike and I was doing 20's most of the whole trail (plus)

That said, I would MUCH prefer to do a SOBO hike, given the choice.

The end isn't the only thing people hike for.

fiddlehead
08-02-2016, 22:17
I started NOBO May 9 in '95.
Finished at Katahdin Oct 9 that year.
Took a week off in July.
But it wasn't my first hike and I was doing 20's most of the whole trail (plus)

That said, I would MUCH prefer to do a SOBO hike, given the choice.

The end isn't the only thing people hike for.

rafe
08-02-2016, 23:45
Sobo is a more solitary hike, at least the last 1/2 or 2/3 of it. You deal with the hard stuff early in the trip. You get a month or two of cold weather, maybe some snow, at the end. More so if you tarry. Biggest drawback of Sobo is having to wait till June or July to get started.

On the other hand you could start a flip flop from Harpers Ferry on May 1 and be done, say, early or mid-October. Miss winter completely, and miss the crowds as well.

Night Train
08-03-2016, 08:33
Flip a coin, surprise yourself, and embrace the uncertainty.

Grampie
08-03-2016, 09:38
During my thru I flip, flopped. I started at Springer on April 13th and flipped to Katahdin summited on July 21. My whole trip SOBO I couldn't get out of my mind how much more difficult it would be to do a SOBO thru. First of all the hiking is more difficult. Much more water to contend with. The trail is much more rugged do to the lack of trail maintainers in Maine. I have never seen the difference of hiker completions between NOBO and SOBO hikers.

egilbe
08-03-2016, 13:20
During my thru I flip, flopped. I started at Springer on April 13th and flipped to Katahdin summited on July 21. My whole trip SOBO I couldn't get out of my mind how much more difficult it would be to do a SOBO thru. First of all the hiking is more difficult. Much more water to contend with. The trail is much more rugged do to the lack of trail maintainers in Maine. I have never seen the difference of hiker completions between NOBO and SOBO hikers.

All the hikers I talked to this year say the trails in Maine are a lot better than they expected. I've run into several Maine Conservation Corps crews working on the trails the last couple years, and thats not counting the MATC volunteers who clear blowdowns and waterbars all year long. I'm surprised you feel that way.