PDA

View Full Version : Unique Trail Names

Scrum
08-01-2016, 09:28
I was just reading a thread about overused trail names. http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/101915-Overused-trail-names Parts of it were about interesting and unique trail names, which I found much more interesting and amusing.

So, let's start a tread about that.

One of my favorites was "Flem", though perhaps he spelled it "Phlegm." A really nice guy who got the name in 2011 because he had a nasty cough in the shelters down south when he started his hike. He seemed surprisingly proud of the name.

The Kisco Kid
08-01-2016, 09:49
Mine is Kisco Kid. I'm from Mount Kisco, NY and started my section hike of the A.T. when I was a wee lad of 11 or so

My favorite trail name is Rad McBadass

Christoph
08-01-2016, 10:22
Mine is Thumper because I'm clumsy. My toes gave me that name after tripping over every root and rock on the trail.

Uncle Joe
08-01-2016, 10:32
My nick has been Javelin for over 20 years due to formerly owning an AMC Javelin. Kinda looking for someone to give me a new one for the trail. Hopefully nothing like, "Can't Take A Hint" or "Gives Me The Creeps" or similar! :|

tiptoe
08-01-2016, 10:37
Many years ago, I met The Breadless Horseman, a guy with celiac disease. And Young-and-Dumb, who, according to his companions, really deserved the name.

Dan Roper
08-01-2016, 12:11
Two of my favorites that I've seen in shelter journals: Phatmandu and Optimus Grime.

(My two favorite shelter graffitis: (1) at Vandeventer last month: "Bob Peoples counted to infinite...twice!," and (2) at at Peck's corner three or four years ago: "This shelter is seriously haunted...something is ripping open sleeping bags and burning bibles."

Hangfire
08-01-2016, 12:12
Walter White...and no I don't cook meth or know anything about chemistry. I guess people thought I had enough resemblance to the character plus the shared last name... I've had fun with it.

Tipi Walter
08-01-2016, 12:12
One reason I hate reading most AT trail journals is their use of endless trail names. Example:

"I started the trail today and left Rat Poop shelter with Detard and Choke Bolus and soon caught up with Finger Idiot and Stoma Bag. We all hiked together to the next shelter where we met Anus and Toad and decided to hitchhike all together into Hot Springs to get Mt Dew sodas, twinkies and pork rinds. While in town we hooked up with Flea Drinker and Snot who wanted us to eat a gallon of ice cream each. Afterwards I was rushed to the emergency room as fellow AT thruhikers Blood Colon and Uncle Flaccid held my head and body down on the gurney." ETC ETC ETC

rocketsocks
08-01-2016, 12:28
Walter White...and no I don't cook meth or know anything about chemistry. I guess people thought I had enough resemblance to the character plus the shared last name... I've had fun with it.
AKA "shake n bake"

Tipi Walter
08-01-2016, 12:37
Reading the trail register at Cable Gap shelter above Fontana. A guy named OB MOAT left a note. Interesting name. He defined it in his message: Only Black Man On the Appalachian Trail.

HDLV
08-01-2016, 13:42
Mine is rooster, not very original but for a while I was hiking with a guy named "Moldy Beans" for his sketchy dehydrating practices.

TKE402
08-01-2016, 13:51
Mine is Bushmeat because I once pondered by the camp fire if someone can do the AT living on bushmeat alone. It has stuck.

Hangfire
08-01-2016, 15:02
Reading the trail register at Cable Gap shelter above Fontana. A guy named OB MOAT left a note. Interesting name. He defined it in his message: Only Black Man On the Appalachian Trail.

Back in 14, there was a tall skinny black guy on the trail with a pretty healthy beard and he went by "Black Beard". I always got a chuckle when he introduced himself, it was hard to keep from grinning!

gsingjane
08-01-2016, 16:07
I met someone this year named ABBOTT - Another Baby Boomer on the Trail. Isn't that cute?

Jane

RockDoc
08-01-2016, 16:12
When I saw that "Nuckin" and "Futz" were hiking together I knew trail names had gotten out of hand.

tiptoe
08-01-2016, 18:32
Nuckin and Futz are brothers. I met Nuckin too, on a very late section hike in southern NH; by that time Futz had gone home to Maine. Nuckin wore a feather in his hair and had some good stories. He said he was actually embarrassed to tell the "nice church ladies" their names at a hiker feast down south.

twilight
08-02-2016, 09:17
One of the best trail names I have ever heard and makes me laugh a little whenever I think about it was, I met a flip flop hiker in NC some years ago and though he wasn't using the name at the time, but considering it, he knew other hikers were referring to him as "This sucks so far". In his defense though he had been on the trail for something like 40 days and for like 32 days it had rained creating his obvious miserable demeanor.

I think that sounds pretty unique,

Twilight

Mr. Bumpy
08-02-2016, 13:20
Sock-in-hole for the guy about 15 years ago who ran out of toilet paper.

RockDoc
08-02-2016, 16:33
And then there was the girl named "P&S".... use your (gross) imagination.

tiptoe
08-02-2016, 17:28
And then there was the girl named ThunderF***. I am not making this up, and she was very proud of the name. Yikes.

egilbe
08-02-2016, 17:56
And then there was the girl named ThunderF***. I am not making this up, and she was very proud of the name. Yikes.

Wouldn't you be?

Sarcasm the elf
08-02-2016, 18:25
I heard if a kid last year named Harry Potter. It didn't sound unique until I learned that he got the name after he found himself in a bad situation at a full shelter in the pouring rain and was forced to sleep under the stairs.

A couple of you should be chucking right now...

Night Train
08-03-2016, 08:42
#mcitchykrotch

Seatbelt
08-03-2016, 12:52
There was a young lady hiking last year in the Smokies headed to Maine and her trail name was "effin baby wipes".

tiptoe
08-03-2016, 13:15
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/miscgreen/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by tiptoe http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/buttonsgreen/viewpost-right.png (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=2084318#post2084318)

Wouldn't you be?http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/miscgreen/quote_icon.png

haha, yes, I would be proud of my prowess, but I wouldn't want every idiot on the trail to share my joy. I've never been accused of over-sharing; millennial I am certainly not.

Heather1027
08-03-2016, 13:18
I laughed way too hard at this!!!

(I have no trail name yet, looking forward to getting one as original as this one!)

RockDoc
08-03-2016, 18:21
OK, imagine if Nuckin' and Futz, and P&S (think pee and poop), and ThunderF*** all stayed at the same shelter, and each introduced themselves in a dry manner.

How many of us would get off the trail, saying "never again"...

RockDoc
08-03-2016, 18:25
Oh BTW I met "Slugwench", on Katahdin. I think she was a triple crowner.

Real nice name, huh?

tiptoe
08-03-2016, 18:55
I once met a light-skinned black guy named Half-Caf. And then there was Mulligan, a guy who twice had his thru attempts ended by injury and was starting over for the third time. And Zero-Zero (losing his eyesight to a rare disease).

MtDoraDave
08-03-2016, 21:09
A couple sisters go by Wine and Cheese. I only met one of them, because that trip she was solo. She told us her real name was Janine (sp?), so I don't remember if she was Wine or Cheese.

MuddyWaters
08-03-2016, 21:37
Pup Tent

how his sleeping bag looked in the morning.

Heather1027
08-04-2016, 14:40
I heard if a kid last year named Harry Potter. It didn't sound unique until I learned that he got the name after he found himself in a bad situation at a full shelter in the pouring rain and was forced to sleep under the stairs.

A couple of you should be chucking right now...

I laughed way too hard at this! I just shared it with my HP fanatic co-workers and we all agreed, that's one of the best trail names yet!! LOL

Kerosene
08-04-2016, 17:11
I haven't seen another Kerosene out there, although a few that use Kerosene in their trail names. I got mine in college as a take-off on my surname when I was "burned" by a lovely lady who was only interested in talking all night. People remember it a lot better than Michael.

Diamondlil
08-11-2016, 14:12
I'm 411.
No I'm not the one to go to for information. I really don't know anything useful. But I am a plethora of superfluous bul****.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

egilbe
08-11-2016, 14:58
I'm 411.
No I'm not the one to go to for information. I really don't know anything useful. But I am a plethora of superfluous bul****.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surprised no one named you Cliff Claven.

dudeijuststarted
08-11-2016, 15:04
did anyone meet LaserPussy in '14?

Greenlight
08-11-2016, 21:02
He's in The Mayor's book.

did anyone meet LaserPussy in '14?

Berserker
08-12-2016, 12:02
Based on the number of weird and/or quizzical looks I have gotten when asked my trail name (Berserker), I can only deduce that it must be fairly unique.

chiefduffy
08-12-2016, 15:16
Last years favorite: Whistletits. Nice young lady. Best so far this year: Rootbeard.

Sarcasm the elf
08-12-2016, 15:24
Based on the number of weird and/or quizzical looks I have gotten when asked my trail name (Berserker), I can only deduce that it must be fairly unique.

Maybe they were all familiar with the movie Clerks :cool:

Berserker
08-12-2016, 16:45
Maybe they were all familiar with the movie Clerks :cool:
Ha ha...nice semi obscure reference, you get a gold star for that one. The scene with the "Berserker" song in that movie is funny. For the record, that has nothing to do with my trail name.

Kerosene
08-14-2016, 15:01
One of the most memorable trail names I ran across was Too Obtuse in central Virginia in late May 2005. Neat guy.