PDA

View Full Version : Getting out of Hot Springs [2017 section hike]

Shoe_String
08-01-2016, 23:13
I'm planning a reunion hike with some friends I met on trail in '15 and we're looking to do a nice easy week from Gatlinburg to Hot Springs. I have found rental cars and flights from Asheville to Gatlinburg no problem, however I don't know how to get out of Hot Springs.

When we were there last year, we just sort of walked along the river for a while and Hot Springs was gone, this isn't an option this time.

Any tips on where to look? This is a good nine months away, but I'm a planner, so I'd like to have some idea (knowing full well that nothing is set in stone this far in advance).

Thanks!

map man
08-02-2016, 08:20
Are you asking how to get from Hot Springs back to a rental car in Gatlinburg? Are you asking how to get from Hot Springs back to the Asheville airport? A shuttle is the answer to both questions. Here is the list of shuttlers the ATC maintains (Bluff Mountain Outfitters, right in Hot Springs, does shuttles):

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/at-shuttles-2016-08-01.pdf?sfvrsn=0

Hikingjim
08-02-2016, 08:25
If you're asking about shuttles, I'm pretty sure the guy at laughing heart hostel does them. Haven't used them so can't comment on service

Gambit McCrae
08-02-2016, 08:25
Hey I can appreciate the planner syndrome, and for section hiking, it will pay off from a logistics standpoint.

If you are dead set on a car rental then I will let that be. We will just focus on the getting back to the car.

In Hot Springs there are at least 2 shuttle serves in Hot Springs:
Laughing heart Hostel (http://www.laughingheartlodge.com/index.php/accommodations/hostel/)
Bluff Mountain outfitters (http://bluffmountain.com/) << These guys speak on their website about traveling to Asheville to pick hikers up at airport

Other options are:
Walk in the woods shuttle service out of the Smokies area Phone (https://www.google.com/search?biw=1280&bih=625&q=a+walk+in+the+woods+phone&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAOPgE-LRT9c3zEg2MTGIN8nS0s9OttJPzs_JSU0uyczP08_Oyy_PSU1J T40vSMxLzSnWz0gsji_IyM9LtQKTABxNSmBBAAAA&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjwvKLN26LOAhVNtJQKHW9yCr8Q6BMIjgEwEA): (865) 436-8283 (javascript:void(0)) << these guys can pick you up in Knoxville, drop you at New Found Gap, pick you up in Hot springs and take you back to airport

Hope this helps! Check out my signature for other shuttle options in the area!

10-k shuttle service :Hiker and Boat shuttles out of Erwin, TN. 423-330-7416
10-k is a little far north but still an option at $220

Shoe_String
08-03-2016, 08:54
Map Man,
Did I meet you on trail last year? I was Turtle (1 of 6 Turtles that I know of). The Map Man I met was hiking with a long time friend who's name escapes me, but they were both very positive awesome older guys.

HikingJim
When I was in Hot Springs last year, Tie and the other guy who's name also escapes me (I'm bad at mornings) were exceedingly accommodating and helpful. I didn't think about a shuttle at that time because I was attempting a through-hike.

Gambit
I'm not dead set on a car rental, I just figured it my be the cheapest way to get a half-dozen of us to Gatlinburg and also allow whomever was the first to arrive (we're coming from all over the US) the opportunity to have some freedom to leave the airport if the delays between flight arrivals are lengthy.

I am very open to a shuttle as I really appreciate what they have done for the trail community, so if there are some shuttle drivers who would be up for Asheville -> Gatlinburg and then Hot Springs -> Asheville, I'm absolutely down.

Thank you guys for the feedback!

map man
08-03-2016, 19:07
Map Man,
Did I meet you on trail last year? I was Turtle (1 of 6 Turtles that I know of). The Map Man I met was hiking with a long time friend who's name escapes me, but they were both very positive awesome older guys.

Last year I section hiked from Winding Stair Gap to Allen Gap in the middle of May. I was frequently seeing 3 or 4 hikers who left Springer on May 1. That Map Man you met was undoubtedly not me. I was hiking by myself, for one thing. And I also don't use Map Man as my trail name when I hike (my trail name is "Orange") -- map man is the moniker I chose when I signed up for Whiteblaze back before I picked up a real trail name.

soumodeler
08-04-2016, 13:21
Solo at Laughing Heart Hostel will shuttle you. Great people there. Buff Mountain also offers shuttles, but they were higher than Laughing Heart.