PDA

View Full Version : MSR Guardian Purifier

CoolBobby
08-02-2016, 09:54
Quick search did not reveal a lot...

So for those of you that dropped the $350 into a Guardian Purifier, have you used it and whats your take? I own one, and love it. Its not for the UL crowd, but that is OK with me. I am UL with some things, and "things I like" with others.

I like that it takes care of just about everything that can make you sick (minus radiation and chemicals). Having been infected with Giardia before, (from what appeared to be clear glacial water) I will always treat my water. I can fill a 10 Ltr Dromedary bag in under 5 minutes, which is great when the wife and kids come, and it weighs close enough to my Sweetwater filter that I don't notice a difference in my pack.

First time out, I tested it in a gator hole (Florida) that had clogged my sweet water on the the second pump. It worked wonderfully, even though there was a slight tint to the water due to the tannin's left in from decaying plant matter.

An amazing device. I wish I had it when I was deployed.

Any other opinions? Any negatives (I know its heavier then the Sawyer mini... ;-) ) ?

tflaris
08-02-2016, 13:21
I hike the Florida Trail and water can be questionable sometimes. I used mine on the FT consistently. Worth the wait IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tflaris
08-02-2016, 13:22
Weight not wait. Damn autocorrect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

peakbagger
08-02-2016, 15:43
That looks like an upgrade of the original MSR filter that had a Millipore filter downstream of a carbon block filter. It worked great but went through Millipore filters frequently. Most folks just ditched the Millipore as the carbon filter was entirely adequate for other than viruses. Good to see they think they have the bugs out of it. The auto backflush is also an issue.

CoolBobby
08-02-2016, 18:31
Tflaris- that is what I am section hiking now. I'm in the ONF just north of Juniper Springs. Technically not right now, just did my least section in July.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

CoolBobby
08-02-2016, 18:33
Peakbagger- the auto back flush works insanely good on this. I'm not familiar with the system you referenced but that carbon filter is pretty cool.

tflaris
08-02-2016, 19:15
Tflaris- that is what I am section hiking now. I'm in the ONF just north of Juniper Springs. Technically not right now, just did my least section in July.

Great Section. Filter works on the FT and the auto back flush is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk