PDA

View Full Version : Weather conditions and clothing for flipping to MA in Aug

SGTJones
08-02-2016, 10:32
I'm a few days out from Harper's Ferry. Plan to flip up to MA and go south to finish my thru.

Currently only have a midlayer Patagonia nano air jacket, and 2 pairs of shorts and t-shirts. Also just a 40degree topwuilt with big Agnes tent and thermarest pad.

Think I'll need to get a heavier outer shell? Bigger sleeping bag? I guess I could just go and see... probably won't be in danger of dying right, just cold for a few nights? Was thinking maybe a bivy cover and sleeping bag liner with a topwuilt to avoid buying a new bag, thoughts?

Slo-go'en
08-02-2016, 12:33
It's starting to cool down some, and by late August it will be getting down right chilly in the morning. I'd get long pants, long sleeve base layer top and bottom and a light jacket.

egilbe
08-02-2016, 14:23
I'm a few days out from Harper's Ferry. Plan to flip up to MA and go south to finish my thru.

Currently only have a midlayer Patagonia nano air jacket, and 2 pairs of shorts and t-shirts. Also just a 40degree topwuilt with big Agnes tent and thermarest pad.

Think I'll need to get a heavier outer shell? Bigger sleeping bag? I guess I could just go and see... probably won't be in danger of dying right, just cold for a few nights? Was thinking maybe a bivy cover and sleeping bag liner with a topwuilt to avoid buying a new bag, thoughts?

Not doing ME, NH and VT?

Hikingjim
08-02-2016, 15:51
I assume you mean you're flipping to maine, not mass.

might as well get some warmer stuff soon. with over half to go, you'll definitely hit a lot of cold in the whites, vermont, wherever you're at in the last month, etc.
You could check some of the long range forecasts in maine to see if you can delay getting warmer stuff. But I would probably want at least a 20 quilt or equivalent. Your quilt + a liner or something might be ok, then when it's getting colder you can add a bit more clothes such as base layer/beanie, possibly light puffy jacket

SGTJones
08-02-2016, 19:06
Wow I feel dumb, I've been writing GA to MA for three months ��. Good advice thanks I'll get my fleece and some long base layers shipped from home.

Slo-go'en
08-02-2016, 21:00
If your heading to Maine, you definitely need to gear up with some warmer stuff! By the time you get into NH and VT, you'll need much warmer stuff.