PDA

View Full Version : Continued hike from Bly Gap

Limey
08-02-2016, 12:01
Please need to know how to get back to Bly Gap ( just passed G/NC border of the AT) we hiked there from the approach trail in June and want to continue the AT for 6 weeks in September. Is there a place we can get a shuttle to from Top Of Georgia hostel and then hike up close to Bly ?

Gambit McCrae
08-02-2016, 12:28
Call Ron Brown with your question/ request and he will be able to best help you out
his number is in my signature :)

Limey
08-02-2016, 15:40
Thank you will do

JC13
08-02-2016, 16:31
TOG will shuttle you close to there as well, I think the rate is $90.

Traffic Jam
08-02-2016, 20:29
You can get a shuttle on a forest service rd to within 1/2 mile of Blue Ridge Gap on the AT in GA, which is about 3 miles S of Bly Gap. You will have to walk that last 1/2 mile as the road is impassable at that point unless the shuttler happens to be driving a 4wd jeep.

Its 6 miles from Top of Georgia to Blue Ridge Gap so no way they're gonna charge that kind of fee. Maybe $90 from Top of Georgia to Deep Gap; not many trail miles but its a long way via the road.

JC13
08-02-2016, 23:19
You can get a shuttle on a forest service rd to within 1/2 mile of Blue Ridge Gap on the AT in GA, which is about 3 miles S of Bly Gap. You will have to walk that last 1/2 mile as the road is impassable at that point unless the shuttler happens to be driving a 4wd jeep.

Its 6 miles from Top of Georgia to Blue Ridge Gap so no way they're gonna charge that kind of fee. Maybe $90 from Top of Georgia to Deep Gap; not many trail miles but its a long way via the road.Its based off the quote I got when I stayed there in July. Like it or not, that's what I got quoted.

Slo-go'en
08-03-2016, 08:26
You might as well just start at Dicks creek gap on RT76 (which I believe is where the top of Georgia hostel is located). It only adds 10 miles and a day to the trip and is much easier to get to then anywhere closer to Bly gap.

soumodeler
08-04-2016, 13:19
Dicks Creek Gap will be much easier, with safer long term parking if that is needed.

Limey
08-04-2016, 18:53
We stayed at that hostel in June, left and did the AT up to Bly and camped. Returned to Top of Georgia the next day approx. 18 miles. Don't really want to hike it again.

Limey
08-04-2016, 18:57
But probably will in retrospect

fghester
08-04-2016, 19:43
You might check with The Hiker Hostel near Dahlonega (run by Josh and Leigh Saint). I know they shuttle hikers close to Blue Ridge Gap (for their overnight guests.).

JC13
08-04-2016, 20:48
We stayed at that hostel in June, left and did the AT up to Bly and camped. Returned to Top of Georgia the next day approx. 18 miles. Don't really want to hike it again.I fully understand. That's why we ended up zeroing at TOG, it wasn't worth it to go past in the time we had remaining. We also knew it wouldbe a good starting point for next year.

Slo-go'en
08-04-2016, 21:06
We stayed at that hostel in June, left and did the AT up to Bly and camped. Returned to Top of Georgia the next day approx. 18 miles. Don't really want to hike it again.

In retrospect, if you had continued north another 7 miles, you could have come out at Deep Gap, which is a possible shuttle drop off/pick up location.

Bummer about having to rehike in from Dicks Creek Gap, but it really is the best option. On the plus side, since you just did a long drive from TX, doing those 9 miles will stretch your legs before you do the "welcome to NC" climb out of Bly. (It's nick named "the stairway to heaven")

But if your pressed for time, starting at Deep Gap and skipping the little 7 mile piece between Bly and Deep Gap would an option. From Deep Gap it's a fairly short hike up to the shelter, so it would also be possible to start later in the day then a Dicks Creek start.