PDA

View Full Version : Pack Sized of Climashield summer quilt

fastfoxengineering
08-02-2016, 15:07
Anybody have a 2.5 climashield summer quilt laying around? As much googling as I do I can't really get a good representation of how small they are. I wouldn't be compressing my quilt, as a synthetic, I'd store it loosely in the bottom of my pack. However, Enlightened Equipment states the reg/reg 50* prodigy quilt has a packed size of 8.5L. Then in the reviews people say they are double that.

So anybody? I have seen 50* down quilts pack down to almost the size of softball. Very, very small. Is climashield that much bulkier? I figured double, which would still be small packed size. I have a 20* reg length, wide down quilt from hammock gear that can pack pretty small. Comfortable in a 12L dry bag. Is it safe to assume a 2.5 climashield would be larger/smaller/about the same?

better yet... anybody have any pictures? Just trying to see what size i'm dealing with. Starting to get important as my thru-hiking pack keeps getting smaller and smaller.. Down to a 40L pack and I like it.

thanks,
fastfox

Just Bill
08-02-2016, 15:28
Double or triple the volume of down- easy. As yer recently famous Vermont senator might say- they are Yuge.

This is 3.6 apex vs. 3.0 Primaloft Gold- both 45* and the exact same quilt pattern.
(Primaloft is roughly the pack size of 750 down)

I did bring a 2oz Climbashield for a speed hike of the LT in much the manner you suggest- It sucked up a good 1/4 of a homemade pack (roughly 35 liter body). Trimmed it down to 11 ounces or so though and wasn't carrying much so the bulk helped stabilize the load overall.

2.5 oz Apex- It's a 50* brand spanking new, 55* after some hard use, and 60* after a decent season (60-100 nights). Point being- it's about the lightest, easiest, MYOG quilt out there you can make, you can ride it hard for a long hike but by then it's ready to hit the shelf for summer car camping use only.
On the plus side- you don't NEED to quilt it and you can put one together for about 12 ounces and $80 bucks or so. Not that I believe in disposable gear... but this can be a decent case for an ultralight and reasonably cheap quilt- mine ended up getting passed to some younger cousins after each abusive trip before I started using Primaloft Gold and solved that problem.

But Primaloft Gold is on par with making a down bag as far as labor/skill/etc. If you wanted to take one on, let me know. There is a way to thru quilt them that's not horrendously painful but you loose a bit of temp rating that way and need to retain the scrim layer at a minor weight penalty. (3.0 is about 50* vs 45*) That said- it would be warmer than 2.5 APEX even when thru quilted.

Just Bill
08-02-2016, 15:49
Didn't answer your question.
2 yards of Climbashield 2(ish)- 1296 inches x two yards x 1/2" thick= 1296 CU in divided by 61CU is 21.25 L for just the insulation.
Pack it loose- maybe half that (11L)
Pack it tight- maybe a third that (7 ish L) (roughly about the EE number- roughly the size of the quilt in the pic.)

Add a liter for the shell material.

Keep in mind- 2 yards is a pretty tight quilt. (XUL summer style) My typical SUL is closer to 2.25 sqyds.
An EE regular regular is closer to 3 sq yards of material.

Don't recall the stuff sack size in the pick above exactly- I do recall it squeezed into a 2 gallon bag- then promptly pushed a few liters back out.
The Primloft one is packed into an Xlite large stuff sack- 4x12- roughly 2.5 L.

fastfoxengineering
08-02-2016, 22:43
You making primaloft quilts for sale yet justbill

Just Bill
08-03-2016, 12:29
If you want the long story and some of my dramatic yappin.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/113531-Town-s-End-Update-advice-questions/page2

Short story-not yet.
Our closing got delayed a bit- so didn't really move until early July and I am in the process of looking for a rental space where I can set up a small sewing shop there. I'm able to sew a little bit but only a piece or two a week at best. (Like a 10 ounce 45* Primaloft gold 3/4 length UQ that is lighter than any down equivalent on the market that is being tested now.)

If you weren't in a huge hurry let me know... if all goes well I will be ready to sew a few things here and there in a few weeks and plan to get some (more) prototypes out to people to get more feedback. I'd be happy to toss you on that list. If you're still hanging (can't recall if you gave it up) may even have some more prototypes you might be a good fit to try.

fastfoxengineering
08-03-2016, 15:34
I'm still hanging and prefer it over ground camping, however, ground camping has it's time and place on a lot of the trips I've been doing lately. Been playing around in the high peaks of the white mountains and as much as people claim hammock camping is the best up here, it isn't if you plan on staying at the campsites which typically have a shelter and tent platforms. Furthermore, I'm heading out to thru hike the Cohos Trail up here in NH during the last/first week of Septemeber/October. I'm going to bringing a flat tarp for that trip. Going to utilize the shelters along the way, they're new, and I'm gonna try and put out some videography and such about the CT because it's still a mystery to a lot of people. Anyways, I've been hiking light and not so fast this season and being on the ground has suited me better to the trips I've been doing. I've always wanted a summer quilt. I lug around a 22oz 20* down quilt all three seasons right now. It's hot and clammy during those warm nights and my insulating clothes stay in the pack. Because I'm not willing to leave much of my clothing system behind (Baselayer, lightweight fleece, ul down hoodie, rain jacket) any time of the year, I see it as an opportunity to use a lighter, more comfortable quilt for those temp ranges. I feel like a piece of equipment like that could be pretty versatile for an aspiring hiker who's trying to pack a pretty light kit. As someone who knows little about synthetic materials, I am on the side that they would be "easier" to use in hot, damp, humid climates such as what one experiences a lot of on the east coast. So far all I have come up with for negatives of a synthetic quilt is a shorter lifespan, not as compressible as a down quilt, and typically, I said typically, a slight weight penalty. The positives really do seem to outweigh the negatives in favor for a summer weight synthetic quilt.

I am in no rush, as I know need warmer insulation for the rest of the year up here in New New Hampshire. I got to thinkin as a winter diy project. I am however interested in a primaloft quilt. The only reason I didn't consider it as a DIY quilt is because for all that work and learning curve, I would have just made a down quilt.

PM coming your way when I get home from work.

fastfoxengineering
08-03-2016, 15:36
man.. I should proofread my posts.

Just Bill
08-03-2016, 18:09
Actually probably one of the projects I'm most excited about is a bridge Hammock that uses a sleeping pad instead of an under quilt for the exact reasons you mentioned; you can go to ground or a shelter when you went to and hang the rest of the time without having to carry extra gear or compromise on either option.

Out east, in summer, I too am in agreement with your thoughts on synthetics. Especially when the weight and pack size gap can be narrowed. That and there is a decent argument to be made against down in lofts below 1..25", the down doesn't work as well and the shell material offsets the weight savings of the down.

ill look fer yer pm, but seems we're having a private conversation already, lol.

SWODaddy
08-03-2016, 21:05
I have a wide/reg 50deg prodigy quilt and it will compress enough to fit in a 2L dry bag, though I wouldn't recommend it. Weight is just under 14oz too. Highly recommend it.

SWODaddy
08-03-2016, 21:07
Here's a picture with a 1L nalgene for reference:

cmoulder
08-04-2016, 08:55
I have a wide/reg 50deg prodigy quilt and it will compress enough to fit in a 2L dry bag, though I wouldn't recommend it. Weight is just under 14oz too. Highly recommend it.

+1 Never compress it any more than necessary.

I have a Prodigy 40deg and simply put it in the bottom of the pack with no stuff sack of any kind and let the gear above compress it for me. The is the most space-efficient way to pack because the quilt spreads out to utilize every available nook and cranny. My pack (Arc Blast) is highly water resistant (actually rained on quite a bit with no leaks) so — especially with a synthetic quilt — no worries. And I have also packed down quilts this way with nary a problem.

Secondmouse
08-04-2016, 09:46
+1 Never compress it any more than necessary.

I have a Prodigy 40deg and simply put it in the bottom of the pack with no stuff sack of any kind and let the gear above compress it for me. The is the most space-efficient way to pack because the quilt spreads out to utilize every available nook and cranny. My pack (Arc Blast) is highly water resistant (actually rained on quite a bit with no leaks) so — especially with a synthetic quilt — no worries. And I have also packed down quilts this way with nary a problem.

I'll second this. I have a Prodigy 40* that I just put loose into the trash bag liner in the bottom my pack and put other things on top. nonetheless, it has lost a noticeable bit of loft after 10 days on the trail. I can only imagine how much it would have lost if I put it in a compression sack...

Just Bill
08-04-2016, 13:40
The main advantage of synthetics- is that they still perform when wet. I have used Apex and Primaloft soaking wet and can confirm they do work. Primaloft is better (92% warmth retention when wet), and I have even done some tests with it where I went to bed with a soaked through bag in low 40* temps and woke up with a dry bag. (25* rated bag) It was not pleasant to go to bed that way... but it's nice to know.

So keeping them bone dry is not a real concern. Depending on the shell material- there could be some water absorbsion there- otherwise other than moisture trapped inside in the air pockets (like a sponge) the insulation itself will not absorb water like down or wool does.

Apex (continuous filament insulations) can loose as much as 25% of their loft the first time you compress it. To be fair though, Apex is "the best of the bunch" and will not fare quite as badly- so don't freak out.
My personal experience- a few degrees of loss in the first 30 days, and a good 5-10* total after 100-200 nights depending on how hard you use it.

Continuous filament synthetics (Apex)- is like taking 1000 yards of fishing line and bunching it up into a mat. (quilted 2' or further on center for stability)
Short staple synthetics (like Primaloft)- is like taking 1000 ONE yard pieces of fishing line and tangling them up into a batt of insulation. (quilted 6" or less for stability)

The best way I know to explain it-
If you have ever used a steel wool pad...you understand the structure and the problem.
They hold up just fine in your hand, even to a bit of light use. But as you start using them you will note that they break down. In heavy use, they almost dissolve.
Continuous filament synthetics will "break" in much the same way with compression and wear down, they won't loft/spring back as the fibers break down.

The exact time this takes- depends on how rough you are.

On the flipside- Short staple fills require extensive quilting (on par with Down in terms of design and labor) or else they will degrade and more or less form a product like down. (North face Puffball is simply degraded and fluffed Primaloft Gold). The good news- it still works just fine at roughly 650 fill. The bad news- without baffles to hold it all where it needs to be... it's basically a big sack of loose fill if it fails.

Apex quilts are typically not quilted at all (they are simply sewn to the shell at the perimeter of the bag) so there is a bit less stability than the 24" OC that is recommended.
To an extent- this choice means you may have to baby them a bit more than lab results might indicate.

Just Bill
08-04-2016, 13:43
I'll second this. I have a Prodigy 40* that I just put loose into the trash bag liner in the bottom my pack and put other things on top. nonetheless, it has lost a noticeable bit of loft after 10 days on the trail. I can only imagine how much it would have lost if I put it in a compression sack...

For what it's worth- I had the best luck with APEX (what EE uses) when I placed it on the outside of my load in the main pack body.
I put spare clothes, socks, etc into the bottom of the bag- used a tall narrow food bag and water bladder against my back- and then loose stuffed the quilt around my other items to fill in the rest.

I think this helps quite a bit to avoid excessive weight bouncing on your quilt as you move- generally speaking- the load will compress the bag as it is sitting directly on top of it.

Secondmouse
08-05-2016, 11:39
For what it's worth- I had the best luck with APEX (what EE uses) when I placed it on the outside of my load in the main pack body.
I put spare clothes, socks, etc into the bottom of the bag- used a tall narrow food bag and water bladder against my back- and then loose stuffed the quilt around my other items to fill in the rest.

I think this helps quite a bit to avoid excessive weight bouncing on your quilt as you move- generally speaking- the load will compress the bag as it is sitting directly on top of it.

good to know. but your comments above, that long staple, or single filament insulation is more susceptible to compression than short staple, is exactly opposite of what I have been led to believe previously. exactly opposite...

are you sure you're not mixing them up?..

Just Bill
08-05-2016, 14:23
good to know. but your comments above, that long staple, or single filament insulation is more susceptible to compression than short staple, is exactly opposite of what I have been led to believe previously. exactly opposite...

are you sure you're not mixing them up?..

Yar- tricky tricky. :D You are right on paper, wrong in real life... or we could both say the same depending on our experiences.

"Believe previously" does help qualify the statement- and it's not an incorrect one based upon previous experience depending on when you started learning. It also does back up the general literature and lab results.

If I were to add a better qualifier to my opinion- "Climbashield Apex products versus Primaloft Gold products" is probably in order. As is "When construction techniques and real world conditions are applied."

http://blog.rei.com/camp/down-vs-synthetic-which-insulation-is-right-for-you/
REI can be handy for their relatively simple and concise articles... from this one-

"There are many competing brand names for synthetic insulations, which can make shopping confusing. A more relevant distinction is knowing whether a synthetic insulator is short-staple or continuous filament.

Short-staple insulations feature short strands of fine-denier filaments that are densely packed to minimize heat loss. This makes sleeping bags and jackets feel soft and flexible, much like down-filled products, and allows for great compressibility. They are, however, a bit less durable than continuous filament and the insulation can move around to create cold spots.

Continuous-filament insulations use a thicker continuous filament that is lofty, strong and durable. They tend to have a stiffer feel and are less compressible than short-staple insulations, but they stay in place so are less likely to create cold spots."

I would agree with that general definition. Even in the real world. If I take a sq yard each of a generic version (even if they both came from the same company) and handled them- the continuous filament would seem more durable. In simple handling of each, I would note pieces of the short staple coming off and tearing at the edges. If I tossed them as is into the washing machine- the short staple fill would degrade fairly quickly.

If I put them on a work bench and smashed them with my hand, eventually I could pulverize the short staple fill and/or reduce it's warmth. However, if I took a fresh piece and balled it up into the tightest ball I could, I might see a different result depending on the exact flavor or each used. If I repeated this, I might even find that while the continuous filament does do a good job of holding it's general shape, it didn't rebound and loft under this more extreme compression test as well as the short staple.

As to what REI and general wisdom/lab results have to say...
Yes- short staple fills will separate if left on their own, which would cause a shifting and cold spots- similar to an underfilled or damp down fill.

However- this assumes that you apply the same bag construction to each product. Both products are sold in a batt, similar to fabric.
Generally speaking a 100gsm (3 oz/yard) of each is roughly 5/8" thick and the size of a roll of fabric (60" wide or so by roll size).
So initially; synthetic products were made the same. Put a batt of insulation in between a shell and a liner and go.
In this scenario, short staple fills are inferior to continuous filament and damaged easily by compression, stress, or laundering (which is basically both).
I believe this is the basic (and correct) source of conventional wisdom on the topic.

Climbashield Apex vs. Primaloft Gold-

Apex is technically required to be quilted 24" OC- which it rarely if ever is in the cottage or MYOG gear world. Commercial bags using synthetics typically do follow this guideline. https://www.rei.com/product/894999/rei-trail-pod-29-sleeping-bag

So in real life, when looking at a larger piece of gear, there is more damage and potential for breakage of the filaments than you might find in the lab. Even though your quilt may be "loose stuffed" you still have to grab a hunk of it and shove it in. You still have to pull a corner out when you unpack it, and it still gets bounced around with your other gear. Parts of your bag are loose stuffed, likely a different part each day. You still tug on the top of the bag with your toes buried in the foot end, or pinch it hard and tug it around your shoulders. This type of spot compression is much like the ball it up into a tight wad kind of damage I describe above.
Technically, the only way you could guarantee that you were not over compressing the bag in general; would be to pack it in it's own stuff sack and strap it to the outside of your pack. Which is not very practical for most of us so not a very helpful suggestion.

With Primaloft (who does also make continuous filament insulations) you must start with the simple premise that there is an inherent limitation- extensive quilting requirements to stabilize the material.
The best example is the Patagonia Nano Puff- with it's signature "brick" quilt pattern. http://www.patagonia.com/nano-puff.html
This is very well known, highly respected, durable jacket. This jacket has a 3" x 6" quilting pattern and follows the guidelines of Primaloft. It has a lifetime warranty and can be laundered, abused, and still works.

Personally, I made quilts out of Apex for years before I bought one of these. After beating the crap out of the jacket for a few years; I wondered why I couldn't use this insulation in a quilt, and why others were not using it more often. The answer is pretty simple- quilting. The biggest advantage of Apex (and continuous filament) is that it is easy to work with, you can cut a piece and carry it to another part of your sewing shop just like any other material. And overall construction is pretty easy. In a piece of sleeping gear where you need larger amounts of insulation than clothing- using a short staple fill is more akin to down construction.

I had one very qualified outdoor gear oriented sewing contractor fail miserably to use it. I had another do well with it, they were a clothing producer, but they had to turn down the product to sew for my favorite outdoor brand and because of the labor time would not be able to handle my project. The labor cost per piece was at least double to sew a short staple versus a continuous filament- so overall it's cost prohibitive for most.

Assuming that you have applied the correct construction techniques to stabilize the Primaloft insulation- you then gain the packability and softer feel. Those are subjective- but the reason that Primaloft is used heavily in the best synthetic outdoor clothing.

Keep in mind- Loft is irrelevant in higher performance modern synthetics. I learned the Ray Way; 2" of stuff is 2" of stuff- but that is not the case with very high end fills. CLO is the measure of thermal efficiency used, not loft. 1 CLO= .88R for those familiar with R-values. So the one apples to apples spec that does stand out is the thermal efficiency.

Apex has .82 CLO per ounce per SY. Primaloft Gold is .92.
So to keep it simple- A
40* rated bag on the EE scale (everyone's is a hair different- but Tim's is good enough) requires 3.28 CLO or 4 oz/yd Apex.
If you could get it, you would only need 3.5 oz/yd PLG to do the same job.
On a three yard reg/reg EE quilt, that would be a 1.5 ounce difference- which is relatively large.

In the field-
http://www.trailspace.com/forums/gear-selection/topics/112908.html

This is perhaps one of my favorite threads on the topic. It actually involves the COO of Climbashield and several knowledgeable folks debating Apex vs Primaloft.
Similar discussions took place on BPL and other places that were interesting as well.

What is interesting is that Climbashield makes continuous filament synthetics. Primaloft produces both types of insulation. So they don't need to promote one over the other, they simply need to produce or recommend the correct product for the correct use. If you want a decent budget bag, then go with continuous filament. If you want a high end garment, then they push Primaloft Gold.

Again- a simple real world test many could relate to-
I own both a Nano-Puff and a Montbell UL down jacket. I baby the crap out of the MB, it still sheds down here and there and has more or less been relegated to my "dress jacket". I can't work in it because I sweat and due to the see thru shell, can actually see the down shriveling up or shifting within the baffles as a I move. So I get cold spots and fear damaging the jacket. Likely the MB will last me several years. I absolutely punish the Nano-puff. As a batting type of insulation it can't shift as I move. It won't wilt in humidity, rain, or sweat. I wash it once a month when active with it, wear it daily, put cigarette and campfire burns into it. Cut it, get it full of grease and dirt and... nothing. Still works. If it lasts a good few years under those conditions... what do you want. I don't have to think about it, baby it, or worry I'll trash it. I don't have to worry if it gets wet. If it gets dirty, the insulation won't absorb body oils and start to fail.

In real life;
Pack size is important for many backpackers.
Weight is important for many backpackers.
Cost is relevant (Apex is less than Primaloft, but Primaloft is cheaper than down)
Durability is a concern, but often a factor mitigated by many backpackers as a tradeoff for the above items.
Although most experienced folks generally agree- performance in the field regardless of cost eventually trumps all.

Primaloft Gold clothing has a very long standing and proven track record- it just needs to be built properly to maintain an adequate level of durability. I could extend that to other items that are simply used wrong.
Cuben is fairly durable, provided you avoid excessive abrasion.
Titanium is great for cookware, provided you don't cook in it.
A Gore-Tex membrane will last a decade or more and performs flawlessly in the lab; unfortunately the shell DWR coating will fail the first year and the liner or membrane can clog with body oil when you actually wear it.

Synthetic still is not down, it will break down eventually. However, as we've all noted before, using a piece of gear for 14 days a year for 10 years or a piece of gear 140 days in one year is the same thing. It still lasted 140 nights of use... so a good down bag lasting "for at least 10 years" is also a statement you should be a bit skeptical about, and take synthetics "durability" overall with a grain of salt for LD hiking.
If a sleeping bag made it 300 nights, I would expect the damn shell to rot out long before I then tried to say it would last you 10 nights a year for 30 years, even if the down could be recycled.

Modern synthetics simply haven't been around long enough to have established a good solid benchmark overall; most of what is known is from forum discussions like this from folks who actually use the stuff.
Apex has become the primary insulation as generally speaking; if you're going to the trouble just use down.

However; there is a "hole" in there. In summer type quilts, I personally believe that Primaloft Gold performs better than down; especially when in low loft situations like 40-60* the down is even more vulnerable to cold spots and other issues at lofts below 1.5". In addition, the shell to fill ratios are not very good when talking SUL pieces of gear.

The nice thing with PLG, is that if properly quilted, as it does break down it has less chance to migrate or shift as it does; it can rely on the shell materials to support it or even take on a role similar to down.
An Apex type product only relies on itself for stability(more so the farther you push the quilting spec); so as you pack/unpack and use and abuse your gear in real life- it behaves more like the steel wool I mentioned above.

Venchka
08-05-2016, 15:11
The preceding will be on the final exam.
Thanks Just Bill!
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

Secondmouse
08-05-2016, 16:53
Yar- tricky tricky. :D You are right on paper, wrong in real life... or we could both say the same depending on our experiences...

thank you for that explanation and not seeing what I wrote as some kind of challenge. I have a few friends who will be very interested in your explanation...

Just Bill
08-05-2016, 17:35
thank you for that explanation and not seeing what I wrote as some kind of challenge. I have a few friends who will be very interested in your explanation...
I 'd be interested in yer friend's opinions or anyone's really. I may be a liar, but I always appreciate the truth; even if it turns out I thought I had it and didn't. :D

This is really only something that has evolved from the MYOG end as there really is no commercial incentive to pursue it versus more conventional stuff for a larger vendor.
Market perception is still "Down is premium, synthetic is not" and by nearly any spec sheet you'd look at I'd have a hard time debating that perception on any thing but money.
It's really only very recent intersection of MYOG, online forums, the relatively small SUL community, recent advances in materials, material availability and the rise of the cottage vendor making any of this a possibility to even discuss.

Conventional wisdom is still pretty correct, but in a few non-conventional applications things are tricky at best. In a very narrow and specific application- we may have reached the mythical place where synthetic is equal to down.

However, once design is done, put the lab results on the shelf with the patterns and trust what folks are finding out in the field.
I think that's the next step.

saltysack
08-05-2016, 19:00
Yar- tricky tricky. :D You are right on paper, wrong in real life... or we could both say the same depending on our experiences.

"Believe previously" does help qualify the statement- and it's not an incorrect one based upon previous experience depending on when you started learning. It also does back up the general literature and lab results.

If I were to add a better qualifier to my opinion- "Climbashield Apex products versus Primaloft Gold products" is probably in order. As is "When construction techniques and real world conditions are applied."

REI can be handy for their relatively simple and concise articles... from this one-

"There are many competing brand names for synthetic insulations, which can make shopping confusing. A more relevant distinction is knowing whether a synthetic insulator is short-staple or continuous filament.

Short-staple insulations feature short strands of fine-denier filaments that are densely packed to minimize heat loss. This makes sleeping bags and jackets feel soft and flexible, much like down-filled products, and allows for great compressibility. They are, however, a bit less durable than continuous filament and the insulation can move around to create cold spots.

Continuous-filament insulations use a thicker continuous filament that is lofty, strong and durable. They tend to have a stiffer feel and are less compressible than short-staple insulations, but they stay in place so are less likely to create cold spots."

I would agree with that general definition. Even in the real world. If I take a sq yard each of a generic version (even if they both came from the same company) and handled them- the continuous filament would seem more durable. In simple handling of each, I would note pieces of the short staple coming off and tearing at the edges. If I tossed them as is into the washing machine- the short staple fill would degrade fairly quickly.

If I put them on a work bench and smashed them with my hand, eventually I could pulverize the short staple fill and/or reduce it's warmth. However, if I took a fresh piece and balled it up into the tightest ball I could, I might see a different result depending on the exact flavor or each used. If I repeated this, I might even find that while the continuous filament does do a good job of holding it's general shape, it didn't rebound and loft under this more extreme compression test as well as the short staple.

Yes- short staple fills will separate if left on their own, which would cause a shifting and cold spots- similar to an underfilled or damp down fill.

However- this assumes that you apply the same bag construction to each product. Both products are sold in a batt, similar to fabric.
Generally speaking a 100gsm (3 oz/yard) of each is roughly 5/8" thick and the size of a roll of fabric (60" wide or so by roll size).
So initially; synthetic products were made the same. Put a batt of insulation in between a shell and a liner and go.
In this scenario, short staple fills are inferior to continuous filament and damaged easily by compression, stress, or laundering (which is basically both).
I believe this is the basic (and correct) source of conventional wisdom on the topic.

Apex is technically required to be quilted 24" OC- which it rarely if ever is in the cottage or MYOG gear world. Commercial bags using synthetics typically do follow this guideline. https://www.rei.com/product/894999/rei-trail-pod-29-sleeping-bag

So in real life, when looking at a larger piece of gear, there is more damage and potential for breakage of the filaments than you might find in the lab. Even though your quilt may be "loose stuffed" you still have to grab a hunk of it and shove it in. You still have to pull a corner out when you unpack it, and it still gets bounced around with your other gear. Parts of your bag are loose stuffed, likely a different part each day. You still tug on the top of the bag with your toes buried in the foot end, or pinch it hard and tug it around your shoulders. This type of spot compression is much like the ball it up into a tight wad kind of damage I describe above.
Technically, the only way you could guarantee that you were not over compressing the bag in general; would be to pack it in it's own stuff sack and strap it to the outside of your pack. Which is not very practical for most of us so not a very helpful suggestion.

With Primaloft (who does also make continuous filament insulations) you must start with the simple premise that there is an inherent limitation- extensive quilting requirements to stabilize the material.
The best example is the Patagonia Nano Puff- with it's signature "brick" quilt pattern. http://www.patagonia.com/nano-puff.html
This is very well known, highly respected, durable jacket. This jacket has a 3" x 6" quilting pattern and follows the guidelines of Primaloft. It has a lifetime warranty and can be laundered, abused, and still works.

Personally, I made quilts out of Apex for years before I bought one of these. After beating the crap out of the jacket for a few years; I wondered why I couldn't use this insulation in a quilt, and why others were not using it more often. The answer is pretty simple- quilting. The biggest advantage of Apex (and continuous filament) is that it is easy to work with, you can cut a piece and carry it to another part of your sewing shop just like any other material. And overall construction is pretty easy. In a piece of sleeping gear where you need larger amounts of insulation than clothing- using a short staple fill is more akin to down construction.

I had one very qualified outdoor gear oriented sewing contractor fail miserably to use it. I had another do well with it, they were a clothing producer, but they had to turn down the product to sew for my favorite outdoor brand and because of the labor time would not be able to handle my project. The labor cost per piece was at least double to sew a short staple versus a continuous filament- so overall it's cost prohibitive for most.

Assuming that you have applied the correct construction techniques to stabilize the Primaloft insulation- you then gain the packability and softer feel. Those are subjective- but the reason that Primaloft is used heavily in the best synthetic outdoor clothing.

Keep in mind- Loft is irrelevant in higher performance modern synthetics. I learned the Ray Way; 2" of stuff is 2" of stuff- but that is not the case with very high end fills. CLO is the measure of thermal efficiency used, not loft. 1 CLO= .88R for those familiar with R-values. So the one apples to apples spec that does stand out is the thermal efficiency.

So to keep it simple- A
40* rated bag on the EE scale (everyone's is a hair different- but Tim's is good enough) requires 3.28 CLO or 4 oz/yd Apex.
On a three yard reg/reg EE quilt, that would be a 1.5 ounce difference- which is relatively large.

In the field-

This is perhaps one of my favorite threads on the topic. It actually involves the COO of Climbashield and several knowledgeable folks debating Apex vs Primaloft.
Similar discussions took place on BPL and other places that were interesting as well.

What is interesting is that Climbashield makes continuous filament synthetics. Primaloft produces both types of insulation. So they don't need to promote one over the other, they simply need to produce or recommend the correct product for the correct use. If you want a decent budget bag, then go with continuous filament. If you want a high end garment, then they push Primaloft Gold.

Again- a simple real world test many could relate to-
I own both a Nano-Puff and a Montbell UL down jacket. I baby the crap out of the MB, it still sheds down here and there and has more or less been relegated to my "dress jacket". I can't work in it because I sweat and due to the see thru shell, can actually see the down shriveling up or shifting within the baffles as a I move. So I get cold spots and fear damaging the jacket. Likely the MB will last me several years. I absolutely punish the Nano-puff. As a batting type of insulation it can't shift as I move. It won't wilt in humidity, rain, or sweat. I wash it once a month when active with it, wear it daily, put cigarette and campfire burns into it. Cut it, get it full of grease and dirt and... nothing. Still works. If it lasts a good few years under those conditions... what do you want. I don't have to think about it, baby it, or worry I'll trash it. I don't have to worry if it gets wet. If it gets dirty, the insulation won't absorb body oils and start to fail.

In real life;
Pack size is important for many backpackers.
Weight is important for many backpackers.
Cost is relevant (Apex is less than Primaloft, but Primaloft is cheaper than down)
Durability is a concern, but often a factor mitigated by many backpackers as a tradeoff for the above items.
Although most experienced folks generally agree- performance in the field regardless of cost eventually trumps all.

Primaloft Gold clothing has a very long standing and proven track record- it just needs to be built properly to maintain an adequate level of durability. I could extend that to other items that are simply used wrong.
Cuben is fairly durable, provided you avoid excessive abrasion.
Titanium is great for cookware, provided you don't cook in it.
A Gore-Tex membrane will last a decade or more and performs flawlessly in the lab; unfortunately the shell DWR coating will fail the first year and the liner or membrane can clog with body oil when you actually wear it.

Synthetic still is not down, it will break down eventually. However, as we've all noted before, using a piece of gear for 14 days a year for 10 years or a piece of gear 140 days in one year is the same thing. It still lasted 140 nights of use... so a good down bag lasting "for at least 10 years" is also a statement you should be a bit skeptical about, and take synthetics "durability" overall with a grain of salt for LD hiking.
If a sleeping bag made it 300 nights, I would expect the damn shell to rot out long before I then tried to say it would last you 10 nights a year for 30 years, even if the down could be recycled.

Modern synthetics simply haven't been around long enough to have established a good solid benchmark overall; most of what is known is from forum discussions like this from folks who actually use the stuff.
Apex has become the primary insulation as generally speaking; if you're going to the trouble just use down.

However; there is a "hole" in there. In summer type quilts, I personally believe that Primaloft Gold performs better than down; especially when in low loft situations like 40-60* the down is even more vulnerable to cold spots and other issues at lofts below 1.5". In addition, the shell to fill ratios are not very good when talking SUL pieces of gear.

The nice thing with PLG, is that if properly quilted, as it does break down it has less chance to migrate or shift as it does; it can rely on the shell materials to support it or even take on a role similar to down.
An Apex type product only relies on itself for stability(more so the farther you push the quilting spec); so as you pack/unpack and use and abuse your gear in real life- it behaves more like the steel wool I mentioned above.

WOW!!!! My brain is smoking.....JB you're in need of a new trail/forum name.........I'm at a loss for words.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Secondmouse
08-06-2016, 22:55
I 'd be interested in yer friend's opinions or anyone's really. I may be a liar, but I always appreciate the truth; even if it turns out I thought I had it and didn't. :D

This is really only something that has evolved from the MYOG end as there really is no commercial incentive to pursue it versus more conventional stuff for a larger vendor.
Market perception is still "Down is premium, synthetic is not" and by nearly any spec sheet you'd look at I'd have a hard time debating that perception on any thing but money.
It's really only very recent intersection of MYOG, online forums, the relatively small SUL community, recent advances in materials, material availability and the rise of the cottage vendor making any of this a possibility to even discuss.

Conventional wisdom is still pretty correct, but in a few non-conventional applications things are tricky at best. In a very narrow and specific application- we may have reached the mythical place where synthetic is equal to down.

However, once design is done, put the lab results on the shelf with the patterns and trust what folks are finding out in the field.
I think that's the next step.

well by "my friend" I don't mean anyone other than a friend of mine who shares my interest in these type of gear discussions. I didn't mean to imply any type of authority.

but I do know of a discussion among some other well experienced fellows on another site that I'd like to put your comments in front of. would you give me your permission to quote you and I will give you a link to the resulting comments?..

Secondmouse
08-07-2016, 01:41

OK, so if I read this right, you are saying it's not necessarily if Climashield is better/worse that Primaloft, it is, does the construction technique used with the individual product make the best use of that particular insulator, correct?

I read several discussions over the years and they run together in my mind but somewhere I remember where TNF uses(ed) "shingling" of synthetic batts where one end of a short section is attached to the shell and the other end to the liner. this is repeated in a shingle fashion with these batts overlapping. is this an effective example of what you're hinting at above?..

I have a fairly new 40* Climashield quilt from a respected maker. it is not quilted or stitched in any location except the edges and at first I felt lack of sewn-through was beneficial but honestly it is kind of annoying as it has no structure and is difficult to get ahold of, if you know what I mean. to move it around you can't just pinch the shell in your fingers as the insulation and liner won't move. you have to grab a handful of shell, insulator and liner to tuck in or adjust the quilt around your shoulders, etc.. it's a pain...

and funny enough, the "handling" of this quilt got better near the end of my trip after being used and then stuffed into the bottom of my bag each day. it is obvious that it does not still have the initial loft and this makes it easier to grab.

So to keep it simple- A

So, PG is more efficient per weight than CS. Two questions - does the extra quilt stitching and construction of PG make for a heavier overall garment than an unquilted CS?

and, does the sewn-through nature of PG quilting reduce the overall warmth of the garment compared to unquilted CS Apex quilt?

In the field-