PDA

View Full Version : Dealing w/ periods on the trail?

andsoshewalks
08-02-2016, 15:48
It just so happens the past three times I've gone backpacking, I've been on my period every single time :/ It is extremely frustrating to deal with and in the past I've just carried out my feminine products as I go, but I'm just wondering what my other options are and what seems to work for all of my fellow lady backpackers!

Water Rat
08-02-2016, 16:22
Welcome to White Blaze! :welcome

There are a few popular options for the trail...

The first is to just keep on using and carrying out your feminine products - Thank you for that! There are too many who think nobody will notice if they just leave their products. :confused:

The second is the Diva Cup - http://divacup.com/ Based on a loose poll of friends, this is becoming more widely used on the trail. Saves money and only involves a little fuss.

The third option is Luna Pads - http://lunapads.com/?geoip_country=US I was unaware of this option until someone mentioned it on White Blaze a while back. Sounds like it would save money, save space in the landfill, and I hear the pads dry pretty fast. This sounds like a great solution for anyone who wears lots of pads.

There are most likely other options out there, but those are pretty much the basics for dealing with having your period on the trail. I hope this information helps!

illabelle
08-02-2016, 16:50
I'm too old to care anymore, but I understand that some women choose to block their periods with hormones for the duration of their hike. So that's another possibility.

becfoot
08-15-2016, 11:22
If you are also looking for birth control, the Mirena iud works in terms of not having a period. Usually takes about 2-4 cycles but it gets lighter and lighter til you don't have to worry about it at all. I would only do that if you wanted the no-period and birth control option. Not so sure I would use it just to avoid a period, though.

virginia jen
08-19-2016, 12:45
Diva cup is the way to go. I also use an liner pad made by newmoonpads.com. I carried 2 pads and the diva cup, totaling 3oz for all, and used it exclusively on my sobo hike.

newtgirl
08-19-2016, 17:55
I also use a cup; mine is Lunette. It's a lot easier to keep clean than clean cloth pads, which are what I prefer when I'm not outdoors. If you went with pads, I would get a Scrubba or devise one yourself. You'd have to get them REALLY clean.

CallMeetHike
08-25-2016, 00:41
What is the correct way to empty the diva cup on the trail? Would you follow the same set of rules for using the bathroom (away from camp & water, dig a hole, etc)?

BlueFeather
09-02-2016, 12:04
My personal experience of the Mirena (hormonal IUD): I bled every day for 3 months after insertion (it was light bleeding, but I'm not exaggerating when I say every single day). After that stopped, I still had my periods every month, but they were slightly shorter and slightly lighter than previously. I still used regular and super tampons, though. I still had cramps but they were MUCH milder on the Mirena. Every woman is different, and despite still having periods, I absolutely loved it. I wouldn't rely on it to stop your periods completely, though. It may for someone who has light periods already, but my baseline periods are very, very heavy, so maybe that's why it just toned them down for me.

JessNicole3608
10-27-2016, 14:15
What is the correct way to empty the diva cup on the trail? Would you follow the same set of rules for using the bathroom (away from camp & water, dig a hole, etc)?

Assuming so, I wouldn't want someone's blood mess close to where we eat or sleep and somewhere less likely to be stepped in and dragged into the shelter.

I've heard the cups are great, but I'm wondering how/if it's a big mess trying to empty. :\

JessNicole3608
10-27-2016, 14:16

Assuming so, I wouldn't want someone's blood mess close to where we eat or sleep and somewhere less likely to be stepped in and dragged into the shelter.

I've heard the cups are great, but I'm wondering how/if it's a big mess trying to empty. :\

I've never thru-hiked but skipping periods with the pill/patch/ring sounds appealing.

slbirdnerd
10-28-2016, 08:35
Mirena did not work for me, the results are very individual, and I eventually had a DaVinci robotic assisted hysterectomy due to my age/station in life and my menstrual issues. Best thing I ever did.

Having said that, if I were younger I'd consider trying a Diva cup or something like that, although dealing with the tampons, packing them out, wasn't so bad as long as my flow wasn't too heavy.

DuneElliot
10-28-2016, 09:17
I've never thru-hiked but skipping periods with the pill/patch/ring sounds appealing.

This is what I would plan on for a long hike. I'm not sure if I want to bother for the month I'll be doing the CT next year year though.

MamaBear
10-29-2016, 12:14

Yes. Follow the same LNT rules for bathroom use, digging a cat hole and being conscious of distance between the cat hole, water source and general human activity. You can also empty the cup into the privy, but be careful to hang on to it!!!! I do remember one poor girl who accidentally dropped hers in a privy. There is no recovering that, and she had a new one sent in her next mail drop.

sketcher709
10-31-2016, 08:31
For those of you considering Diva cups, make sure to try at home through a few cycles. For some reason I could never get mine not to leak. It would work for an hour or two then leak. I also tried a different version of cup, same issue. It did not matter how I positioned it. I was bummer to not be able to make it work.

Also, it was messy to empty. And I do mean messy! I am not grossed out by bodily functions at all but I can see where some women would not like the cups, especially on a hike when having to clean the (sometimes copious) blood off your fingers.

theinfamousj
10-31-2016, 09:15
I am a Diva user/lover. I got it because I seemed to always weekend warrior while Aunt Flo was visiting and wanted something less stuff-y to solve it. Digging a cat hole and dumping seemed right up my alley.

If you want the *best* source for menstrual cup information and advice, the most comprehensive, and, well, the best, you need to go to the LiveJournal Menstrual Cups community.

http://menstrual-cups.livejournal.com/

Did I mention they are the best?

And one of the things they have are sizing charts and sizing guides. Much like people have different feet size, so too do they have different sized vaginas with differently depthed cervixes. It makes sense to get what fits ya!

Nearly six years ago, when I lucked in to my fitting Diva, there were only two choices: Diva vs Keeper. Since then, the market has exploded. One of the first steps I recommend that a lady visit her Gyno and get her depth-to-cervix and diameter measurements so she can buy a menstrual cup that actually fits.

And even then, there is one hell of a learning curve; usually lasting three cycles. But once you get past that learning curve it is so worth it.

I have used my menstrual cup for six years and wouldn't go back. No way. No how.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

bhklappe
04-08-2017, 11:47
LNT practice indicates that menstrual waste should be handled the same way as bathroom (like you said; 200ft from water, away from camp, 6x6 hole the whole deal.)

naysjp
04-16-2017, 04:53
I love this sub forum!!! I never had faith in the menstrual cups. I someone mention hormones so I had to chime in. I had a heavy flow when I did. My period stopped 6 yrs ago, I'm guessing because of the weight I gained because I was only 44 and women are having periods still at that age. I think taking injections like depo lupron would benefit women who don't want to be bothered w/ periods while on the PCT or AT trail. I had heavy periods and my Dr prescribed depo lupron injections every 3 months which stopped my period. WORD OF CAUTION. Your body gets immune to the shots and depending on how long your on the injections, you start having to get your injection sooner. I was able to go 3 1/2 months between injections and then I started having to watch the calendar after the 2nd month or my period would start. These shots put you in early menopause FYI. I had hot flashes at 39. LOL

FrabjousDay
04-16-2017, 10:38
I love my Diva, but it's not bombproof. Certain body motions/positions can cause mine to leak. Pairing the Diva with period panties takes care of that worry. I've only tried Thinx, but other brands are out there. Thinx has a variety of styles with varying absorbencies. The Sport cut Thinx are my favorite while being active/outdoors. I was hesitant to try period undies since I hated cloth pads (bulky, hot, uncomfortable) so much, but they're a completely different beast. The Diva is worth the learning curve. I haven't used disposables in over ten years.

shelb
04-19-2017, 00:37
My friend loves the Diva Cup - so much that she swears she will introduce it to your daughter (currently age 6) when she begins her cycle.

My friend tried it out for a cycle before we hit the trail, and then she used it on the trail. She was very happy with it, and she now uses it for every cycle - on trail or off.

Thankfully, I had a hysterectomy! However, if I hadn't, my husband insists he would purchase me a Diva Cup based on what he has over-heard from others!

Traffic Jam
04-19-2017, 08:16
My cycles have become irregular which makes me love the diva cup even more...just throw it in my hygiene kit and no worries.

My daughter has an IUD w/hormones that does nothing to suppress her periods so she's also a devoted diva cup user and had her first experience hiking with it a few weeks ago. She found that a small, squirt bottle works great for rinsing (just like mom told her).

My other daughter had depo shots and her cycles were also unaffected but so far, she's not interested in trying a cup. She had to bail on a hike once when she unexpectedly started and didn't have supplies.

JennyLynn
04-25-2017, 12:00
Ok. I broke down and bought a cup (Blossom). I get a good seal but the stem is a bit long. Is it ok to trim the stem down a bit?

Wildmtnchild
04-28-2017, 14:19
Yes! Trim the stem. But not too short. Sometimes it can help to pull on it to get it off.

JennyLynn
04-29-2017, 12:04
Yes! Trim the stem. But not too short. Sometimes it can help to pull on it to get it off.

Awesome! Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RaslDasl
09-05-2017, 06:56
Has anyone had a chance to try the Thinx panties on the trail for periods? They look life changing! Lol.

theinfamousj
09-05-2017, 12:42
They hold as much as a panty liner. You'll need a lot of them. That is why most of us go with something immediately reusable (cup, sea sponges) because we only need the one. Reusable pads and reusable pads which look like undies (Thinx) require bringing a lot in and packing a lot out.

I like them as at home period panties as a backup to my cup on the heaviest day of my period. I would never trust them as my sole protection since their capacity is so little. But they are comfortable when wet.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

kestral
09-05-2017, 18:33
Keep in mind that taking lots of NSAIDs like Motrin or taking aspirin can "thin" the blood, making periods much heavier, and unusual excercise can alter period times and duration. Taking a diva cup or whatever even if you're not expecting to menstruate is a very good idea. They are lightweight and not very big.

Luna Anderson
10-12-2017, 03:10
I think that everyone has a regular cycle and you should pay attention to it before a hike. It becomes tricky when you keep going on the trail while periods. The diva cup and other feminine products are just for the worst case.

Erinswan
07-16-2019, 09:10
My first hike I took Birthcontrol through out to stop periods, however the next time I used a Lunnet menstral cup. It worked great. I will say the birth control gave me more even homones and better ability to to miles daily. I have serious cramps without though.

littlefoot33
06-07-2020, 20:22
I like the DivaCup in real life, but I just can't get it to work for me in the woods (anything longer than a day hike). My hands always have a layer of ground-in grime on them when I thruhike, which makes me reluctant to stick them in any orifices; the blood from the cup gets under my nails and in my cuticles; and water is often a hard-earned and precious commodity. Short of bringing disposable gloves, which defeats the purpose of the 'greenness' of the cup, I haven't been able to find a solution. Does anyone else have this problem? Cuz it seems like y'all love it, and I struggle.
Usually I just go with packing out tampons and pads and bear-hanging them with my food at night. But then, what if I start leaking in the middle of the night? I try not to wear the tampons more than 8 hrs for fear of TSS, but again, things get tricky when it gets dark early and you have to get all your food and smellies up.
I've been thruhiking on and off for about 15 years, thousands of miles accumulated, been menstruating like an adult for about half of those and I still don't have a great system down. I'm reluctant to change birth controls for health reasons. Any ideas? I did recently buy 1 pair of Thinx for home/work, but washing them in the woods doesn't seem doable.

KnightErrant
06-07-2020, 21:09
^I started using a Diva cup before moving to North Africa where tampons could be hard to find, and I still like it for "normal life" now that I'm back in the US, but I feel exactly the same as you about cleanliness in the woods-- it's just not a device I'm comfortable using without access to soap and running water. Instead, I found it easiest to just use tampons and pack them out. In fb groups I see so many women talking about cups in the backcountry, and I don't get it. That means a lot of extra time and water for handwashing multiple times throughout the day, plus digging catholes to empty it, whereas with a tampon I can just use hand sanitizer because my hands never get messy in the process, and you can do it during any pee break without worrying about privies or catholes.

Tampons aren't a perfect solution, but it's the best system I've found. I've also heard women who've had good results skipping their periods altogether while backpacking through depo shots or IUDs or skipping the placebo week on the pill, but I'm also wary of trying something new just a few months before a thru hike because the side effects are so unpredictable.

littlefoot33
06-09-2020, 20:04
Thanks for your input, KnightErrant! Good to know I'm not the only one questioning the cup in the backcountry. Definitely sticking with tampons for this summer at least. Double-bag 'em and we're good to go.

^I started using a Diva cup before moving to North Africa where tampons could be hard to find, and I still like it for "normal life" now that I'm back in the US, but I feel exactly the same as you about cleanliness in the woods-- it's just not a device I'm comfortable using without access to soap and running water. Instead, I found it easiest to just use tampons and pack them out. In fb groups I see so many women talking about cups in the backcountry, and I don't get it. That means a lot of extra time and water for handwashing multiple times throughout the day, plus digging catholes to empty it, whereas with a tampon I can just use hand sanitizer because my hands never get messy in the process, and you can do it during any pee break without worrying about privies or catholes.

Tampons aren't a perfect solution, but it's the best system I've found. I've also heard women who've had good results skipping their periods altogether while backpacking through depo shots or IUDs or skipping the placebo week on the pill, but I'm also wary of trying something new just a few months before a thru hike because the side effects are so unpredictable.

Traffic Jam
06-10-2020, 08:32
The Diva cup is awesome and life changing. The problem with tampons is estimating how many you need and/or irregular periods which catch you unprepared. I have been stopped by ladies asking for sanitary supplies. If nothing else, I recommend carrying one for backup.

The Diva cup requires no more hand washing than using tampons, in fact it is less as you only have to empty it once per day (and you only use two fingers). Removing, inserting, and placing tampons in bags multiple times per day still requires hand washing and more often.

JNI64
06-10-2020, 09:51
Man y'all are tuff as nails. Alot guys think they're tuff the stuff you'll have to deal with is on a different level. Much respect no disrespect but I'm so glad I'm a man.

littlefoot33
06-14-2020, 21:44
Thinking like an OR nurse doing sterile/clean technique, etc. etc. I am super aware of what I touch, and what has touched what. When I use tampons, my fingers stay completely external, they never touch the part of the applicator that is internal, no issue. For the cup, I have to pry, prod, twist, poke, and pull. To get the thing in, you have to fold the rim next to itself, meaning your fingers touch the part that will be internal. In fact, I believe the instructions tell you to twist it 180 degrees to get a good seal. Granted, a healthy vagina is actually really resilient, and despite what culture tells us, clean (as in not a bacterial breeding ground). Still, if I'm going to be days away from a shower and medical care, I'd rather keep my dirty fingers on the outside, jusssst to be safe.

But to each her own! Everybody's anatomy is a little different. Tampons are pretty lightweight, so I don't mind carrying them. If you need one, just holla, I got ya, girl! Good for nosebleeds, too ;-)

The Diva cup is awesome and life changing. The problem with tampons is estimating how many you need and/or irregular periods which catch you unprepared. I have been stopped by ladies asking for sanitary supplies. If nothing else, I recommend carrying one for backup.

The Diva cup requires no more hand washing than using tampons, in fact it is less as you only have to empty it once per day (and you only use two fingers). Removing, inserting, and placing tampons in bags multiple times per day still requires hand washing and more often.

Traffic Jam
06-15-2020, 08:19
Thinking like an OR nurse doing sterile/clean technique, etc. etc. I am super aware of what I touch, and what has touched what. When I use tampons, my fingers stay completely external, they never touch the part of the applicator that is internal, no issue. For the cup, I have to pry, prod, twist, poke, and pull. To get the thing in, you have to fold the rim next to itself, meaning your fingers touch the part that will be internal. In fact, I believe the instructions tell you to twist it 180 degrees to get a good seal. Granted, a healthy vagina is actually really resilient, and despite what culture tells us, clean (as in not a bacterial breeding ground). Still, if I'm going to be days away from a shower and medical care, I'd rather keep my dirty fingers on the outside, jusssst to be safe.

But to each her own! Everybody's anatomy is a little different. Tampons are pretty lightweight, so I don't mind carrying them. If you need one, just holla, I got ya, girl! Good for nosebleeds, too ;-)
Funny! You’re an OR nurse so you’re all about sterility, I’m an OB nurse so I’m all about vaginas! :D

You’re exactly right, to each her own. I feel like women don’t try it because they don’t like the idea of it and I want them to know that it’s an excellent, and even life-changing, option.

Happy trails.

sparkygeek
07-19-2020, 05:50
You know, I was thinking the same as Traffic Jam- my hands need to be washed the same whether I use a tampon or a cup, but it's been probably a decade since I used a tampon that had an applicator and I forgot those even exist!

I just wash my hands with soap before dumping it, and clean under my nails with the nail on the other hand while soapy. I've not worried too much about having water on most of the AT, but I'd probably reconsider my method in a desert hike.

One Half
07-19-2020, 09:30
I'm almost 50 and still have regular periods. I have tried the cups while at home and I will point out something that I eventually figured out so if you have the same problem I will just warn you that a cup may not work for you.

I suffer from constipation and have for years. I generally do not poop anywhere except my own home on a regular basis. So if I visit someone for a few days or am backpacking, I won't poop until I ABSOLUTELY have to or until I return home. This is NOT a voluntary decision. So, what does that have to do with menstrual cups? When constipated I have found the cups leak quite a bit. It's just, shall we say, a space/logistical issue.

So if you suffer from constipation, I would suggest you won't have much luck with a cup.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

tracysibole
07-25-2020, 11:10
Some of you have mentioned various types of birth control, and several have been dubious. If you are totally against hormones, then more power to you. I will say that I take BC pills daily and my doctor prescribed them so that I get 4 packs every 3 months so that I can skip the placebo week. I know that some people don't have a period often with IUDs or depo, but that isn't the case for everyone. With the continuous pill, you have more assurance, so if you are doing it more for the no periods thing, the pill might be better. I takes a couple of months to get the hormones fixed, so I wouldn't expect it to work immediately, but if you are planning a thru hike or a long hike and already take BCP, then it might be something to think about. Personally, my husband and I both got fixed after our 3rd kid, so the BCP pills for me are strictly period control pills, which means that I am not the best at remembering to take them. I often miss a pill (or 2) and take them at random times of the day, and they still work to stop my period, as long as I don't miss 3 or 4 pills in a row. When that happens, I just late nature take its course. Anyway, to each their own, but if you are already on pills or you are looking at just not having to really deal with a period but aren't so invested as to wanting a 5 year IUD, then I can attest to the skipping the placebo week method. And like I said, my OB prescribed them that way so it isn't even an issue with insurance (for me).

That being said, my 10 year old started and so we are going to have to deal with something on our month+ long hike next summer. I can't imagine having her try to use a diva cup or a reusable pad! She won't even wash dirty dishes because "they're too gross!". Do any mom's out there have experience with the period issue with their younger daughters? Are pads practical? I don't want to push her into tampons until she's ready, but I also think that pads might just be too messy on trail.

Traffic Jam
07-25-2020, 18:50
Some of you have mentioned various types of birth control, and several have been dubious. If you are totally against hormones, then more power to you. I will say that I take BC pills daily and my doctor prescribed them so that I get 4 packs every 3 months so that I can skip the placebo week. I know that some people don't have a period often with IUDs or depo, but that isn't the case for everyone. With the continuous pill, you have more assurance, so if you are doing it more for the no periods thing, the pill might be better. I takes a couple of months to get the hormones fixed, so I wouldn't expect it to work immediately, but if you are planning a thru hike or a long hike and already take BCP, then it might be something to think about. Personally, my husband and I both got fixed after our 3rd kid, so the BCP pills for me are strictly period control pills, which means that I am not the best at remembering to take them. I often miss a pill (or 2) and take them at random times of the day, and they still work to stop my period, as long as I don't miss 3 or 4 pills in a row. When that happens, I just late nature take its course. Anyway, to each their own, but if you are already on pills or you are looking at just not having to really deal with a period but aren't so invested as to wanting a 5 year IUD, then I can attest to the skipping the placebo week method. And like I said, my OB prescribed them that way so it isn't even an issue with insurance (for me).

That being said, my 10 year old started and so we are going to have to deal with something on our month+ long hike next summer. I can't imagine having her try to use a diva cup or a reusable pad! She won't even wash dirty dishes because "they're too gross!". Do any mom's out there have experience with the period issue with their younger daughters? Are pads practical? I don't want to push her into tampons until she's ready, but I also think that pads might just be too messy on trail.

I recommend you encourage her to get in the habit of recording her cycle on a calendar, it makes trip planning much easier (if she is regular). Both my girls were irregular the first few months.

My girls also very quickly transitioned to tampons as they hated pads but I think that even when using a tampon, a light pad is necessary protection for a young girl. Neither tampons or pads are hard to carry or dispose of when hiking, just wrap duct tape around some plastic ziploc bags so she feels more secure/private about carrying it around.

If you approach the situation with the attitude that it’s not a big deal to take care of yourself when out hiking and give her the information that she needs, she will be just fine.

:)

Birthright
08-10-2022, 00:48
I carry compostable wet wipes. I just clean myself every hour or two and burry the wipes. It works really well. I don't wear any other protection from leakage. After using this method for a long time, I was able to start feeling when I started to drip and I would just wipe it up immediately. It is kind of the same method that a dog on a period uses. Animals are so smart. This method can inconvenience you but it sure beats cleaning that nasty diva cup and packing out stinking tampons and pads. At night of course, you would still need to wear a pad but let's face it - more freedom the better. I don't like unnatural methods like pills and rings.