PDA

View Full Version : DWR on Down Bags

altut
01-08-2006, 13:57
I got a WM highlite not long ago. would it be wise to spray some DWR, (i think i have some tectron), or should i leave it alone. its my first down bag, and since it was a bit expensive i dont want to mess it up.

Whistler
01-08-2006, 14:47
If it is new [say, less than 30-50 trail nights], I wouldn't worry about it at all. Pertex Quantum already comes with a pretty respectable DWR that should last you a good while. You'll be able to tell when you need more, when light spray is soaking in rather than beading up. I copied this from the WM website:

At some point it may become necessary to re-treat the outer shell fabric to restore water repellency. We have been the most impressed with the performance of ReviveX Spray On Water Repellent. The instructions for applying Revivex call for the product (sleeping bag, garment, etc.) to be placed in a dryer on medium heat after applying the spray. A small amount of heat in the dryer helps set in the treatment without diminishing the fabric's breathability. Please be cautious, however, whenever you use a dryer for lightweight down products with specialized shell materials. Check for small burrs inside the dryer and make sure there are no safety pins or other small pins/items that could damage your valuable gear. Based on the different heat levels, sizes, and settings available on various commercial and residential dryers, its always best to remove your bag or garment periodically to make sure it isn't overheating.

I also like Revivex.
-Mark

Seeker
01-09-2006, 01:29
I got a WM highlite not long ago. would it be wise to spray some DWR, (i think i have some tectron), or should i leave it alone. its my first down bag, and since it was a bit expensive i dont want to mess it up.

nah... leave it alone. if you get bored someday, lay the bag out, make a 'dip' in it (not along a seam) and pour in half a cup of water... it'll sit there for about as long as you need it to without soaking in. not sure if the seams hold water that well, but it works well enough for me not to worry about condensation dripping on the bag...