PDA

View Full Version : Grayson Highlands

Heather1027
08-03-2016, 08:55
We want to take a day trip from Boone to Grayson Highlands, mostly to just see the ponies. How far (miles) from the start of the trail is it to see the ponies? Trying to see if we can even pull this off in a day. It's about an hour & a half drive from Boone.
Any tips, etc would also be greatly appreciated!

*I have no intentions of feeding the ponies, I heard they can be jerks. ;)

MuddyWaters
08-03-2016, 09:00
Start of what trail? Theres many trails.

Theres a parking lot close to wilburn ridge where day visitors park and walk up to see ponies. Massey gap?

Many websites about this. Something like two miles. But ponies can be much closer sometimes.

You will need map

Tipi Walter
08-03-2016, 09:09
I've done the Boone to Grayson Highlands trip many times---up thru West Jefferson and Independence etc. Even did it once as a hitchhike. You just park at Massie Gap and heck you can see the ponies from there. They are scattered on Wilburn Ridge from the Thomas Knob shelter down to Wise shelter, along Stone Mt and down into Scales. Have fun. But please try and turn your apparent dayhike into an overnighter!!

Heather1027
08-03-2016, 10:09
Oh wow, I'm glad I asked! I thought there was only one trail, Pine Loop (silly me). I really, really, really want to turn this into an overnighter! But, we are dropping the kid off at college in Boone so we can't really bring our packs. We could, but she would have to go without a few things. And trying to explain to her about sacrifices, etc, yeah, well....she won. ;) I didn't realize they were so close to the trail so that's great to know! Now we can just try to squeeze in a day pack.

But for future, Pine Loop is a good trail, right? We took off a few months from hiking sadly due to injuries so I'm not sure if this loop would be too steep? (Bad knee/bad foot and my friend has bad ankles). I heard there was a fire route path or something that wasn't as steep?

Tipi Walter
08-03-2016, 10:21
But for future, Pine Loop is a good trail, right? We took off a few months from hiking sadly due to injuries so I'm not sure if this loop would be too steep? (Bad knee/bad foot and my friend has bad ankles). I heard there was a fire route path or something that wasn't as steep?

There aren't many tough trails in the Mt Rogers backcountry except possibly for Cliffside which can be rough. The Pine Loop you mention is probably the Pine Mountain loop with the AT and over Wilburn Ridge etc. When you get to Massie Gap you have two choices---go left to reach the AT and stay left to a fence gate and up Wilburn Ridge to Rhododendron Gap and turn right on Pine Mt etc to jct the AT above Scales.

Or turn right from Massie Gap onto the AT Spur trail and down to Wise Shelter and up Stone Mt and down to Scales and up to Pine Mt etc. Find the Nat G map which has a great Mt Rogers insert.

Heather1027
08-03-2016, 13:15
Thanks so much for the info! I will definitely pick up a map. I found one online but its not as informative. Thanks again!

Lone Wolf
08-03-2016, 14:35
a little over half a mile to see ponies from massie gap parking

Tennessee Viking
08-03-2016, 16:14
There are ponies inside and outside the park.

Usually I have seen them from Thomas Knob to the AT NOBO boundary of the park. As well as along the Mt Rogers Horse Trail.

I have driven from Boone and saw the ponies at the Blue Blaze trailhead.

Tipi Walter
08-03-2016, 16:45
I have driven from Boone and saw the ponies at the Blue Blaze trailhead.

You are probably talking about the AT Spur trail---

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2011/Tipi-Walter-In-Mt-Rogers/i-FVrKSXb/0/L/TRIP%20123%20144-L.jpg

But there are other blue blazed trails in the area---like Pine Mountain---

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2011/Tipi-Walter-In-Mt-Rogers/i-9XrWmGS/0/L/TRIP%20123%20086-L.jpg

martinb
08-04-2016, 11:22

Pete the pony wandered right into the horse campground (spent an evening visiting the family there) and took some carrot handouts. He will be hanging out in Massie Gap for the foreseeable future.

Heather1027
08-04-2016, 14:37

Pete the pony wandered right into the horse campground (spent an evening visiting the family there) and took some carrot handouts. He will be hanging out in Massie Gap for the foreseeable future.

Awww! He's so cute!

Heather1027
08-04-2016, 14:37
You are probably talking about the AT Spur trail---

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2011/Tipi-Walter-In-Mt-Rogers/i-FVrKSXb/0/L/TRIP%20123%20144-L.jpg

But there are other blue blazed trails in the area---like Pine Mountain---

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2011/Tipi-Walter-In-Mt-Rogers/i-9XrWmGS/0/L/TRIP%20123%20086-L.jpg

I seriously want to put my pack on, grab my poles and jump into that picture! I'm currently trapped in a cubicle at work wishing I was on the AT...thanks again for the info! :)

UL_Packer
08-08-2016, 22:31
They are normally within a half mile of the parking lot. As far as camping goes me and a friend did a short overnighter out to mount rogers. As long as your outside of the state park you can camp anywhere within reason. There are some great spots just on the other side of the dividing fence within about 1-1.5 miles of the parking lot. Just make sure you plan on some wind. Last summer when i was there we had 60mph gusts and were glad we had taken the extra stakes.

johnnybgood
08-09-2016, 09:18
Just walk up the hill from the parking lot, maybe a half mile in the meadow. Like mentioned, there are abundant places to stake down a tent. The Ponies are so accustomed to seeing humans they don't react to your presence.

Have fun !

martinb
08-10-2016, 20:37
You cannot, legally, camp until you reach the AT trail area. There is a fire ring/camp just past the uppermost gates of the spur tail (on the AT) but, be warned, when I was there is was ponypoop city.