PDA

View Full Version : RIBZ + Lumbar pack?

Just Tom
08-03-2016, 09:03
Has anyone here tried out combining a RIBZ pack with a technical lumbar pack instead of a pack for hot summer trips? Seems like it would be a cooler carry and would load balance really well. Perhaps a Mountainsmith Day lumbar pack at 13/14 liter capacity, and then a medium sized RIBZ pack for another 7 liters. Smallest I've tried to get my summer gear into was a 25 liter pack, but I'm tempted to try this out and see if I can make it work. Just looking for feedback if anyone has tried this or not.

Venchka
08-03-2016, 15:39
My Mountainsmith Day lumbar pack is a model or 2 older than the current version. However, little has changed. Volume is 1,200 cu in, 19+ liters. I added the shoulder straps and carry 12-15 pounds total weight without noticing that weight. I could strap more stuff on using the compression straps. I carry 2 X 1 liter water bottles in the side pockets AND I can get the water bottles out and back in the pockets while hiking. I would suggest trying the Day lumbar pack first. You might not need the RIBZ pack.
Good luck.
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

Just Tom
08-03-2016, 15:47
It comes with a single shoulder strap, but you are suggesting the add-on "strapettes"?

Just Tom
08-03-2016, 15:50
Also...current model and a few older ones available at other retailers are in the 800 to 850 cu in range?

Venchka
08-03-2016, 18:09
Yes, I have the strapettes.
Ok, maybe the Day has shrunk. Verify the current capacity with Mountainsmith. The Tour was the similar but smaller version when I bought the larger Day.
If the Day is smaller now, I'm glad I got mine when I did. I've used it to hold a 4x5 field camera, 3 lenses, film holders and other smaller items needed to make a photo or two.
Wayne

Venchka
08-03-2016, 18:33
Shucks. It does look like they gutted the Day. Too bad. I'll take good care of mine. Maybe you can find a low mileage old one at eBay.

Hosh
08-03-2016, 22:29
Has anyone here tried out combining a RIBZ pack with a technical lumbar pack instead of a pack for hot summer trips? Seems like it would be a cooler carry and would load balance really well. Perhaps a Mountainsmith Day lumbar pack at 13/14 liter capacity, and then a medium sized RIBZ pack for another 7 liters. Smallest I've tried to get my summer gear into was a 25 liter pack, but I'm tempted to try this out and see if I can make it work. Just looking for feedback if anyone has tried this or not.

My SIL has a RIBZ and loves it. He uses it for a variety of activities, fly fishing, hiking and as an augmentation to his 45 liter pack. He likes thebalance of weight it provides and also carries his concealed g** in it.

I haven't bought one yet, but should, it's very functional.

Just Tom
08-09-2016, 16:27
So I'm focusing on the lumbar-pack side of this first, so a question on the strapettes. Every picture I have seen of them is poor or looks old (and Mountainsmith seems to rev their gear fairly often). Venchka, can you tell me if there is any easy attachment point location to put water bottle pockets or gear pockets?

Venchka
08-09-2016, 22:01
First, given the two 1 liter-quart water bottle pockets as standard, do you expect to need extra water bottles?
The Day is in the garage. I'll be back.
Wayne

Just Tom
08-09-2016, 22:14
I usually carry water on my strap. I was planning on trying the cook kit in one Day pocket, and the other my toiletries, trowel and other miscellaneous thing. The inside of the Day will be sleeping pad, sleeping bag, and bug bivy. Plus a spare pair of socks, lightweight packaway jacket and frogg toggs. Front pouch is food. Straps on the bottom is my shelter, and bungee on front is my z rest sit pad. That's the plan anyway. Not sure I can make it fit yet.

Venchka
08-09-2016, 22:40
Ok, I can't answer about water bottle pockets on the strapettes as I don't have one to try. Suffice to say, they are rather ordinary but light weight shoulder straps.
Dimensions: 12" x 12" x 4", Pocket - 12" x 12" x 3"
Mesh bottle pockets will hold 1/2 gallon Evamor or 1.5 liter Essentia water bottles.
There are 4 sturdy nylon webbing loops on the outer edges of the front pocket perfect for lashing anything you might think of.
The bad news: The Day with strapettes weighs 2 pounds +. I can think of 3 companies that make several models of real, multi-day backpacks that weigh 2 pounds or less.
The Day is a nice pack, but it is heavy for its capacity.
Good luck with your experiment.
Wayne

Just Tom
08-10-2016, 09:50
Thanks for taking a look. You put it correctly when you said it was an experiment. I know it won't be lighter than some alternatives, just something I am toying with. Gotta have fun, right :)

To be able to attach a bottle pocket or other strap pocket there would need to be *something* to attach it to. All of my other backpacks have a place where the load-lifters attach or a horizontal attachment point to hold a bladder tube. Let's put it this way, if you had a 1/2 liter nalgene with a small carabiner one the cap loop, is there and place you could get it to attach on the shoulder strap? (Not that that is exactly what I am attaching, but if a caribiner could attach then so can my stuff).

Venchka
08-10-2016, 15:45
On my Day, several years old, there are transverse elastic straps at the top of the curve over your shoulders. Approximately over your collar bone. There is also a sternum strap adjustable vertically.
The Mountainsmith web page for the strapettes has a photo. Zoom in. You can just barely make out the elastic strap below the logo - black on black, but it's there. The other strap has the same thing.
The sternum strap slides up and down.
I hope that helps.
Wayne

Venchka
08-10-2016, 15:51
On my Day, several years old, there are transverse elastic straps at the top of the curve over your shoulders. Approximately over your collar bone. There is also a sternum strap adjustable vertically.
The Mountainsmith web page for the strapettes has a photo. Zoom in. You can just barely make out the elastic strap below the logo - black on black, but it's there. The other strap has the same thing.
I hope that helps.
Wayne

Look at the Classic Hemp. It has the extra lash points. It might be the best solution for what you want to do.
http://mountainsmith.com/day-classic-hemp.html

Wayne

Just Tom
08-10-2016, 16:17
I hope that helps.
Wayne

That does help. My concern was I saw another version that lacked those. For example here:

http://www.ebags.com/product/mountainsmith/strapettes/3835?productid=11205&lastsearchterm=strapettes

I think I'll contact Mountainsmith on this one...

Venchka
08-10-2016, 17:04
Unless you can find the pack and straps in a shop. I found my straps at the Mast Store in Boone. They had the Day pack as well, but I already had my pack.
Wayne

Spogatz
08-12-2016, 14:32
I have one like this with the shoulder straps which do help:
http://mountainsmith.com/products/all-lumbar-packs/day.html
I use it all the time.