PDA

View Full Version : Sawyer Squeeze Bags

SkeeterPee
08-03-2016, 19:36
I have bought a few extra saywer bags, both 32 and 64 oz bags larger bags can be useful if filtering for 2 people or carrying extra water to camp.

I have my first bag starting to leak at the neck where the plastic ties into the bag. Any way to repair these? Currently only leaks when being squeezed so I could possibly continue to use for another trip or two since I carry 2 bags. Bag has only been used 14 days.

Also now that I gave my mini to my brother and picked up a squeeze I really don't need to squeeze the bags since water flows so much better. Hopefully they last longer without squeezing and I might just start using gravity which I would think would be easier on bags. Or could the problem be how I store them. I store them wrapped around the filter in a gallon ziplock while backpacking.

Does anyone make a better bag for the Sawyer squeeze?

jbwood5
08-03-2016, 19:52
Evernew bags are supposed to be better and compatible with the Sawyer filter threads. I had the same problem with the leaking Sawyer bag but hiked 2 weeks with it dripping like you describe. Very annoying. I'm getting ready to try an Evernew bag based on some good reports I read on this board.

X-Pat
08-03-2016, 20:07
I used an evernew bag on a 1-week section with my son last year. Compatible with the squeeze threads and no problems whatsoever.

Sarcasm the elf
08-03-2016, 20:33
I bought an evernew bag this summer and it looks like it is going to better than the sawyer bags in the long run.

Also remember that in a pinch you can always use a smartwater bottle or even a coke bottle.

SWODaddy
08-03-2016, 20:56
Evernew bags work great.

Miles 2 Go
08-03-2016, 21:45
Like others have said you can't go wrong with the Evernew bags. I've been using them for awhile now with no problems. Great design with the cap attached to the bag and its own elastic strap for when you roll it up. Save the Sawyer bag with the leak, cut off the to make a roll up filler cup for the Evernew bag.

Lyle
08-03-2016, 22:14
https://www.amazon.com/Evernew-Water-Carry-Hydration-Pack/dp/B001ASISRS

Been using these for several years with both the Squeeze and Mini. Work Great Last.

Hosh
08-03-2016, 22:31
I love Sawyer's filters, they should re-label Evernew's bags, no issues after many, many uses.

Maydog
08-04-2016, 00:39
Amazon "suggests" adding the Sawyer coupler to accompany the Evernew bags. Is the coupler needed, or will the Mini hook straight up to the Evernew bag?

HooKooDooKu
08-04-2016, 01:27
I've been using an Evernew since the Mini first came out. I use it in a gravity feed mode with a 2'-3' hose on the clean side that helps suckers the water through the filter. Still using the same Evernew bag (yet I'm on my third for fourth filter as I just buy a new one every year).

egilbe
08-04-2016, 05:32
Amazon "suggests" adding the Sawyer coupler to accompany the Evernew bags. Is the coupler needed, or will the Mini hook straight up to the Evernew bag?

pretty sure the coupler is omly used to backflush the filter.

Miles 2 Go
08-04-2016, 06:00
Both the mini and the squeeze will thread onto the Evernew bag just fine.

saltysack
08-04-2016, 07:36
I've been using an Evernew since the Mini first came out. I use it in a gravity feed mode with a 2'-3' hose on the clean side that helps suckers the water through the filter. Still using the same Evernew bag (yet I'm on my third for fourth filter as I just buy a new one every year).

Any pics? Just bought evernew 2l for CT trip as have had several sawyer bags fail..I've never tried the gravity set up always squeezed into SW or Gatorade bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
08-04-2016, 08:43
Anyone use there evernew bag as a pillow? Just curious.....

DuneElliot
08-04-2016, 08:58

I use the coupler...it makes for very quick and easy filtering without spillage. I don't know if it will work with the Mini though. I have the Sawyer Squeeze filter which I like a lot.

I did find the Evernew bags leak at the top if you put pressure on them or lay them down as there is no seal in the cap. I believe that can be fixed by using a different cap if I needed to.

egilbe
08-04-2016, 09:22
I never had a problem with Sawyers bags until I commented on here that I never had a problem with Sawyer's bags. Sure enough, that very weekend, my tried and trusted bag sprung a leak right where the OP's did. Lets see how long this current bag lasts. Probably had 100 days on the first one.

Secondmouse
08-04-2016, 09:28
I have bought a few extra saywer bags, both 32 and 64 oz bags larger bags can be useful if filtering for 2 people or carrying extra water to camp.

I have my first bag starting to leak at the neck where the plastic ties into the bag. Any way to repair these? Currently only leaks when being squeezed so I could possibly continue to use for another trip or two since I carry 2 bags. Bag has only been used 14 days.

Also now that I gave my mini to my brother and picked up a squeeze I really don't need to squeeze the bags since water flows so much better. Hopefully they last longer without squeezing and I might just start using gravity which I would think would be easier on bags. Or could the problem be how I store them. I store them wrapped around the filter in a gallon ziplock while backpacking.

Does anyone make a better bag for the Sawyer squeeze?

if it's dripping I wouldn't use it because it can drip contaminated water on/into your clean water supply.

I still have a couple 64oz that I use but most everyone I saw was using Platypus 2L bags. the Sawyer filter just screws directly to that and it has a place on the bottom to put a cord to hang for gravity feed...

HooKooDooKu
08-04-2016, 09:38
Any pics? Just bought evernew 2l for CT trip as have had several sawyer bags fail..I've never tried the gravity set up always squeezed into SW or Gatorade bottle.

Not a great picture, but here's a test setup in the kitchen when I tried to time how long it took to filter 2L.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=60632&catid=member&imageuser=11871
The clean water bag is a Platypus Hoser, where I cut off the thick vinyl tubing that came with it and replaced it with the surgical type tubing that came with my old SweetWater pump filter. I simply push the hose over the nipple of the Mini. The nipple is so large that I can't push much on to it, but the tubing is stretchy and strong enough to hold on if you don't pull on it.

Ktaadn
08-04-2016, 10:46
I just ordered 2 bags. Says they will be at my house sometime between Sept 6 and Sept 27. Good thing I'm not in a hurry.

saltysack
08-04-2016, 10:49
if it's dripping I wouldn't use it because it can drip contaminated water on/into your clean water supply.

I still have a couple 64oz that I use but most everyone I saw was using Platypus 2L bags. the Sawyer filter just screws directly to that and it has a place on the bottom to put a cord to hang for gravity feed...

My platy 2l threads don't deal with mini...

saltysack
08-04-2016, 10:50
I just ordered 2 bags. Says they will be at my house sometime between Sept 6 and Sept 27. Good thing I'm not in a hurry.

Yup from Japan....mine arrived way sooner than what Amazon said...

saltysack
08-04-2016, 10:51
Not a great picture, but here's a test setup in the kitchen when I tried to time how long it took to filter 2L.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=60632&catid=member&imageuser=11871
The clean water bag is a Platypus Hoser, where I cut off the thick vinyl tubing that came with it and replaced it with the surgical type tubing that came with my old SweetWater pump filter. I simply push the hose over the nipple of the Mini. The nipple is so large that I can't push much on to it, but the tubing is stretchy and strong enough to hold on if you don't pull on it.

Pic not showing up?

colorado_rob
08-04-2016, 11:01

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkPlatypus changed their threads a few years ago. My old platy bags fit the sawyer, and are still going strong as my sawyer "backup" bags.

FWIW, and most know this, but the old original Sawyer bags were crap and failed early, but the new sawyer bags are much better, but even those do fail quicker than they should. Thanks for that great info on Evernew bags... when my sawyer bags run out, I'll get a couple of those.

When I have a leaky sawyer bag, I still use it, I just tip it all when squeezing and this prevents "dirty" drips from getting into my clean bottle. Mostly. And I think "mostly" is good enough.

HooKooDooKu
08-04-2016, 12:18
if it's dripping I wouldn't use it because it can drip contaminated water on/into your clean water supply...
That's one of the things I like about my gravity feed system... the clean water side is a closed system (tubing goes over the nipple and via a connector is screwed onto the clean water bag). So even IF the dirty water side leaks, all it can do is leak onto the OUTSIDE of the tubing and clean water bag.

Odd Man Out
08-04-2016, 12:30
I don't have a picture but my gravity system is easy.

Take a 900 mL Evernew bag (will work with any size), and use a paper hole punch to punch a holes in the bottom corners along the perimeter where the plastic is thick and you will not put a hole in the bag. Cut a foot-long piece of spectra cord off your bear bag cord (or any piece of string will work). Tie one end of the cord to one of the holes in the bag. Thread the loose end of the string through the other hole and tie that end to a mini carabiner. Fill this bag with dirty water and screw it onto your Sawyer filter (I use the Mini). Hang the dirty bag from a tree branch using the string and carabiner. I can help to suck a little on the clean outlet side of the filter to get it started. Let it drip into your bottle (I use a wide mouth Gatorade bottle for drinking from on the trail).

You can use the grey drinking straw that came with your filter to extend the outlet and direct the flow into your bottle.

Also you can do a bag to bag gravity system (closed system so you don't have to watch it) by attaching to the outlet tube the blue female adapter from the Sawyer adapter kit.

https://sawyer.com/products/sawyer-inline-hydration-pack-adapters/

Screw this to another 900 mL Evernew bag. You must squeeze the air out of the receiving bag or it will build up pressure and stop the flow. Let this go while you set up camp. When you come back, the receiving bag will be full of clean water. You can use larger bags if you want. I cut a one inch piece of the hose off to use as a connector. This makes the system more compact. It's a little slower but has been fast enough for me.

To back flush, after you are done filtering, disconnect the dirty water bag and squeeze the clean water bag to to force some clean water backwards through the filter.

By having two Evernew bags (one for clean and one for dirty water), you have a backup in case one breaks. You can fill both to carry in your pack if you have a long dry stretch of trail or need to dry camp. You can always tell which is dirty because it is the one with the string and carabiner for hanging from the tree.

saltysack
08-04-2016, 12:46
I don't have a picture but my gravity system is easy.

Take a 900 mL Evernew bag (will work with any size), and use a paper hole punch to punch a holes in the bottom corners along the perimeter where the plastic is thick and you will not put a hole in the bag. Cut a foot-long piece of spectra cord off your bear bag cord (or any piece of string will work). Tie one end of the cord to one of the holes in the bag. Thread the loose end of the string through the other hole and tie that end to a mini carabiner. Fill this bag with dirty water and screw it onto your Sawyer filter (I use the Mini). Hang the dirty bag from a tree branch using the string and carabiner. I can help to suck a little on the clean outlet side of the filter to get it started. Let it drip into your bottle (I use a wide mouth Gatorade bottle for drinking from on the trail).

You can use the grey drinking straw that came with your filter to extend the outlet and direct the flow into your bottle.

Also you can do a bag to bag gravity system (closed system so you don't have to watch it) by attaching to the outlet tube the blue female adapter from the Sawyer adapter kit.

https://sawyer.com/products/sawyer-inline-hydration-pack-adapters/

Screw this to another 900 mL Evernew bag. You must squeeze the air out of the receiving bag or it will build up pressure and stop the flow. Let this go while you set up camp. When you come back, the receiving bag will be full of clean water. You can use larger bags if you want. I cut a one inch piece of the hose off to use as a connector. This makes the system more compact. It's a little slower but has been fast enough for me.

To back flush, after you are done filtering, disconnect the dirty water bag and squeeze the clean water bag to to force some clean water backwards through the filter.

By having two Evernew bags (one for clean and one for dirty water), you have a backup in case one breaks. You can fill both to carry in your pack if you have a long dry stretch of trail or need to dry camp. You can always tell which is dirty because it is the one with the string and carabiner for hanging from the tree.

Thx

Secondmouse
08-04-2016, 12:51

really? I saw no less than 10 people were using this system. did something change?..

saltysack
08-04-2016, 17:34
really? I saw no less than 10 people were using this system. did something change?..

Yep...my bag is probably 4 years old...evernew seals perfect...

Lyle
08-04-2016, 19:45
Old PLatty bags work, I have some that are just fine with the Sawyer filters, but the newer ones (last 5 or 6 years) do not match up. Platty changed the thread style for some reason.

HooKooDooKu
08-05-2016, 08:32
Pic not showing up?

Interesting, it works for me and the image shows over 1,000 views (I've had it out here for a while)
Perhaps this one will work
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/1/8/7/1/sawyer.jpg