PDA

View Full Version : At or PCT

NewGuyOne
08-05-2016, 14:20
Hi I was hoping for some input. I finally got my visa approved and am ready to start my thru hike next year but am having a hard time deciding between the PCT or At.

I've always dreamt of hiking the AT but would love to triple crown one day. The thing is the more I read/see/watch about the At these days has started to sour my view of it. It seems to have become more of an alcohol/ drug infused hippy trail (over generalisation) with none stop partying and that's not what I'm looking for (though have nothing against it) This may have been the view I've just gained from some individuals but it's put me off. Can anyone give me there viewpoints or how trail culture compares between the At and PCT?

Any input would be great thanks.

Hikingjim
08-05-2016, 14:29
I have done a good amount of SOBO hiking past masses of hikers on the AT, so I get a pretty good idea what type of hikers are on the AT.
I find it is a great mix of excellent people, young and old, and definitely a fair share of people that say "dude" at least once a sentence and smoke a lot of weed. I have never had issues avoiding those people though, and they are generally nice people to chat with (I just don't want to bunk with them!).

If you hike SOBO or get out of the NOBO bubble, then it's ok

PCT I only done small parts, so can't really comment. But my impression is that there's far less crowds in most areas, far less convenient towns, and so it would be more in line with what you're looking for culture-wise

But you can make a great hike on either.

nsherry61
08-05-2016, 15:43
Regardless of the culture, the scenery on the PCT is way more spectacular. If I had to choose between them, I'd take the PCT for better scenery, more remoteness, and fewer people, if logistically a bit more challenging.

Malto
08-05-2016, 15:59
I thru hiked the PCT five years ago. I believe that the trail is quickly evolving into more of an AT style environment. the numbers alone, 50 a day starting are in stark contrast with the numbers from just five years back. However, I am an optimist. First, if you have experience AND can do higher than average miles AND snow doesn't freak you out then a SoBo could be an option that is very unAT like

HooKooDooKu
08-05-2016, 15:59
I would agree with nsherry61 regarding the differences between the AT and PCT.

But my 1st thought is that rather than starting with the PCT (since you want a triple crown anyway), start with the logistically simpler AT and save the more difficult challenge of the PCT once you've got more experience. Especially since as a foreigner, you will face certain challenges that we in the U.S. would not (for example, I do not believe that you can ship resupply food from the UK to the US).

Bobby
08-05-2016, 17:57
Hi I was hoping for some input. I finally got my visa approved and am ready to start my thru hike next year but am having a hard time deciding between the PCT or At.

I've always dreamt of hiking the AT but would love to triple crown one day. The thing is the more I read/see/watch about the At these days has started to sour my view of it. It seems to have become more of an alcohol/ drug infused hippy trail (over generalisation) with none stop partying and that's not what I'm looking for (though have nothing against it) This may have been the view I've just gained from some individuals but it's put me off. Can anyone give me there viewpoints or how trail culture compares between the At and PCT?

No hesitation here -
I've thru hiked both. If I had to pick just one of them to do - I'd pick the PCT hands down. Only down side to the PCT is the chance of fires messing up your hike.

People are great - there are great people on both trails, and the opportunity to run in to dick heads on both trails too.

garlic08
08-05-2016, 18:03
The PCT was my first of the TC hikes, the AT was my last. I would not have hiked the AT at all if not for the TC, but once on it I fell in love with it for its own sake. You can still have the trip of a lifetime on the AT.

That said, you'll have the trip of a lifetime plus some on the PCT. The PCT remains my favorite of the trails, though (or because) it was more difficult.

One of my "trail family" on the PCT was a Brit, on his first long US hike. He did quite well with logistics, had fun with our culture, etc.

Choosing a trail could be like, "Who's your favorite Beatle," or "Ginger or MaryAnn?" Much depends on your personality, and hiking strengths (or known weaknesses).

Venchka
08-05-2016, 18:08
Do you have a start date, or week, or month in mind? Are you familiar with the PCT thru-hike permit system?
That said, PCT for sure. Or CDT for fewer hassles with permits, etc. Actually, the CDT has Zero hassles with permits. You need permits from Yellowstone & Glacier National Parks, but you get them by showing up.
Disclaimer: I have yet to hike any of the Big 3, but I've been over, under, around and through the general vicinity of both the PCT and CDT since 1951. I am a confirmed fan of the western U.S.A.
Good luck!

Wayne

colorado_rob
08-05-2016, 18:43
I was told years ago (by a AT/PCT double-crowner) that if you're planning on a triple (or double) crown, hike the AT first, because once you've hiked the PCT or CDT, you won't want to hike the less spectacular AT. I think this advice is wrong; having hiked the AT I was totally enthralled by it, even given its less-than-spectacular scenery, and even though I'm a westerner and love the trails out here. So if you've heard this same advice, I'd ignore it!

That being said, the AT is probably excellent "training" for long hikes, given the fantastic support services. bottom line: I'd stick to the AT first, unless you really think you'll only do one, in which case, I'd go with the PCT.

Feral Bill
08-05-2016, 19:11
Do not discount the subtle beauty of the eastern forests. Spectacular is not necessarily better.

fiddlehead
08-05-2016, 20:01
All 3 are great in their own way.
If you want scenery: PCT
If you want easy to follow (lots of blazes) but steep, rocky hills with limited views, AT
Both have lots of people anymore I believe.

Personally I'd go for something different than the big 3, but I understand you want a triple crown, so, somewhere along the line you're going to have to do the AT.
Go SOBO for a more relaxed, non-partying, more alone-time hike.

HooKooDooKu
08-05-2016, 21:46
Do not discount the subtle beauty of the eastern forests. Spectacular is not necessarily better.
Having just experienced the beauty of the JMT (PCT and JMT are the same trail for about 100 miles in Sierra Nevada Mountains)...
as beautiful as the scenery was, I must admit to getting a little bored with it after about 10 days or so. After a while, I sort of felt like "same view, different mountain".

Additionally, before my trip, I had people ask me "won't the beauty of the JMT spoil the views you get in the Great Smoky Mountains?". But now that I've seen the beautiful vistas of the Sierra Nevada Mountains, I'm still just as eager to get back to by beloved Smoky Mountains.

The one thing I must say that I did LOVE about the JMT over the Smokies... the weather. I've had many trips postponed or spoiled by rain when trying to hike in the Smokies... but on the JMT, I only got rained on once... and that was the day I was exiting the trail.

MuddyWaters
08-06-2016, 09:20
If you could only choose one, it would have to be PCT.

PCT is a much wilder more varied trail.

Apples and oranges though really.

colorado_rob
08-06-2016, 10:02
Do not discount the subtle beauty of the eastern forests. Spectacular is not necessarily better.That was my poorly-worded point... the AT had surprisingly great appeal for me, even being used to spectacular-view trails out west.

BrianLe
08-06-2016, 10:21
Pretty sure I've responded to this before --- so if you want even MORE feedback, you could search for older threads. But if I had to pick just one, it would be the PCT, definitely.

Slo-go'en
08-06-2016, 14:32
There are advantages and disadvantages to each trail. The AT is logistically easy, but physically difficult yet still be overwhelmed by shear numbers. The PCT is logistically difficult but physically easier (for the most part). The CDT is only for the hard core, well experienced long distance hiker.

The whole party thing is blown way out of proportion. It's really not an issue, so don't let that be a major factor in your decision. The real issue is just too many people starting in March/April. Doing a flip-flop (starting at the 1/2 way point in Harpers Ferry in mid April) can help with the crowding (and partying) issue, but that has it's own complications. (like having to do the south when it full on summer and water is scarce).

Greenlight
08-06-2016, 15:29
NG1: Congrats on getting your visa! Don't let the reports about activities around the AT sour you. As long as you avoid the bubble, your trail interactions are going to be more limited. You will more than likely find people you are compatible with to hike together, or at least meet up at the same spots at the end of the day. Those who want to party and do drugs hang around the same sort of people. You will only have as much exposure to them as you want.

-Rush-
08-07-2016, 06:22
Regardless of the culture, the scenery on the PCT is way more spectacular. If I had to choose between them, I'd take the PCT for better scenery, more remoteness, and fewer people, if logistically a bit more challenging.

I agree completely. The PCT is a far more rewarding hike in terms of scenery and from what I've heard he culture is great. The AT is called the "long green tunnel" for a reason. The scenery just doesn't change that much until you get past SNP, and even then there's a lot of the same. There are some awesome places on the AT, but I've decided to just section those as time permits. The best view on the AT is below the worst view on the PCT IMO. If I ever committed to a thru hike it would be on the PCT hands down.

4shot
08-07-2016, 09:26
NG1: Congrats on getting your visa! Don't let the reports about activities around the AT sour you. As long as you avoid the bubble, your trail interactions are going to be more limited. You will more than likely find people you are compatible with to hike together, or at least meet up at the same spots at the end of the day. Those who want to party and do drugs hang around the same sort of people. You will only have as much exposure to them as you want.

this is good advice. The vibe about the AT is only negative here on the internet for some odd reason. I don't deny that there can be crowds, noise, parties, etc. but those can easily be avoided. I have thru hiked it and done several section hike.

I backpacked quite a bit over in the UK last summer. It was great but I had a few people tell me that they didn't want to travel to the US because they were afraid of getting shot. :eek:I am not making this up. Can you get shot in the US? Obviously so but it's a tiny risk and one can mange the odds fairly easily.

The analogy here is the same, the point being that things in the media (and the interwebs) blows things way out of proportion. I think you would enjoy 99.9% of the people you meet while on the trail (any trail). the internet is a different story.

Berserker
08-09-2016, 14:53
I've hiked almost 3/4 of the AT and my only experience out West is in the Sierras (JMT and some stuff off the JMT). So with said a couple of things to consider that weren't talked about much in the posts above is the difference in weather and forest fires. I've read a lot of AT and PCT journals over the years, and in general in a typical year the PCT appears to be dry for most of it's length while rain is pretty common on the AT. I don't know if that's a deciding factor or not, but I'm not a huge fan of hiking and camping in the rain. I do it, but as my hiking "career" matures I'm finding that I like it less and less. So for me the PCT would probably be more enjoyable from a weather standpoint. Fires is the other thing to consider. Fires are typically a non-issue on the AT, but I think in most years on the PCT you can pretty much expect to have to skip some portion and have to come back and finish it at the end (if you choose to do so) due to a fire.

As for the "partying" thing on the AT (which seems to be a popular topic on WB these days), I'm in the camp that it's blown way out of proportion. In what's been about 4 months of staying out on the AT (over my years of section hikes), I have only run into a handful of people partying, and I typically tent near shelters.

One other thing I'll mention is that having done the JMT (which is usually considered some of the best scenery on the PCT), and most of the AT both trails have their own appeal. It's really not fair to compare the two trails from a "scenery" standpoint as they traverse totally different types of landscapes and geography. Before I did the JMT I thought that I would go out to the Sierras, be blown away and that would be it. But then I did some more AT sections and realized that the Appalachians are just as beautiful in their own way. So from a scenery standpoint it's not really fair to compare the two, and if you had to choose one then you'd probably want to do the one that has your preferred scenery.

SGTJones
08-12-2016, 11:05
I started May 8 and saw practically zero partying with the exception of the 4th of July. Maybe it's different in the bubble but my experience has been respectful and awesome people, with any partying contained to cheap hostels and that only in the first 250 miles really. After that most of the hard partying types have gone home. Haven't encountered any "parties" at shelters/campsites on the AT.

Mags
08-12-2016, 11:31
A later than traditional start certainly helped.

If you do a 4 month pace, an early May start would work well.