PDA

View Full Version : Paul C Wolfe Shelter

misprof
08-05-2016, 20:48
Anybody have any recent experience around this shelter? It is the one right after Humpback Rocks. Bringing Grandchildren hiking in the area and did not want to hit a bunch of locals partying through the night.
Thanks

Hikingjim
08-05-2016, 22:54
nice condition, beautiful stream, was quiet when I passed through. Didn't see any evidence of partying

It's less busy with hikers than some shelters because it's only a 2 hour hike to rockfish gap/waynesboro (very easy trail from rockfish gap)

Slo-go'en
08-06-2016, 00:13
I know it's popular with boy scout troops as it's an easy hike in and out.

carouselambra
08-06-2016, 09:22
I camped there last Labor Day. Great water source. One nice flat tent spot between the shelter and the stream. Some additional tent sites near the stream, but not as flat. Saw a large rattlesnake at night when walking to the privy.

misprof
08-11-2016, 17:14
Sad day. Paul C Wolfe was closed this week as from Rock Fish Gap to Dripping Rock was closed to camping due to bear activity. AKA visiting peoples camp, breaking into cars, So we hiked to Maupin Shelter instead. Good time with Grand kids.

Hikingjim
08-11-2016, 19:19
Sad day. Paul C Wolfe was closed this week as from Rock Fish Gap to Dripping Rock was closed to camping due to bear activity. AKA visiting peoples camp, breaking into cars, So we hiked to Maupin Shelter instead. Good time with Grand kids.

Glad you had a good time. when I passed that area in May I passed two bears on the way up humpback mountain, and they weren't the least bit afraid of me. They just sat there when I yelled and made noise. So not too surprising to hear they were causing problems!