PDA

View Full Version : Lightheart Gear Solo vs Tarptent Moment vs Double Rainbow

oreocereus
08-08-2016, 03:59
Been tossing up between the LHG solo and the Tarptent Moment (the older version with single wall) for a while now. The Double Rainbow is a bit left of field compared to the others, but someone offered me theirs for a good price (still pricier than the others) and the room is tempting. Money is an issue for me, so I'm looking at second hand options.

I'm wanting to get get the most versatility - I'm going to travel through Western and Northern Europe next year, from the end of winter until Summer - hiking, but doing a bit of urban camping too. So in short I don't know where I'll end up camping or in what conditions (typically not winter-y, but it's still pretty wintery in parts of Scandanavia even during the summer, apparently). So at the moment I see it as:

LHG Solo
-Nice amount of floor space
-Seems to deal with condensation well

Moment
-Free standing option (I've never needed it before, but I've only hiked New Zealand and I know the conditions better, and was more planned in where I would end up) - could be good in rockier than expected terrain
-Seems particularly bad with condensations

Double rainbow
-Great amount of extra space (would be awesome, since I'll be living in it for 60%-70% of the ~5 months) without a terrible weight penalty
-Freestanding
-A lot more pricey

Anyone had experience with the tents want to pitch in? What way would you go?

SkeeterPee
08-08-2016, 09:02
Consider the solong 6. Still light, but lots of room especially if you are tall. if not tall you will have room for your pack at your head, feet, or besides you. I've only had mine on the trail for 3 nights so far, but it has done well in rain so far.

Franco
08-08-2016, 18:42
The LHG Solo inc 6 stakes is $275.
The Double Rainbow is $289 inc pegs
The Moment is $295 inc pegs

franco@tarptent

oreocereus
08-08-2016, 18:54
The LHG Solo inc 6 stakes is $275.
The Double Rainbow is $289 inc pegs
The Moment is $295 inc pegs

franco@tarptent
Mm - but i'm looking at second-hand options and prices currently. The DR second hand is a lot more pricey than the others (but the cheaper Moment is the 1st gen as well).

Consider the solong 6. Still light, but lots of room especially if you are tall. if not tall you will have room for your pack at your head, feet, or besides you. I've only had mine on the trail for 3 nights so far, but it has done well in rain so far.
Yah, if it came up at the right price I'd go for it - but I'm not too big, so I think I'd be ok with the Solo. Good to know it's held up!

Franco
08-08-2016, 20:02
Sorry, I missed the I'm looking at SH options bit.
Mind you ,generally, the re-sale value is a good indication of the real value of the product.