PDA

View Full Version : Traditions along the AT

Bmatson
08-08-2016, 08:28
Has anyone ever cataloged the various great traditions along the AT such as the Half-Gallon Challenge, jumping off the James River footbridge, etc. It could add to the experience for new thru-hikers. If such an article or listing does not exist, I suggest we create it now by replying. Thanks

Grampie
08-08-2016, 11:02
A list like that is not needed. There are plenty of signs along the trail describing all the things that a hiker can do. Places where you can get free food and drink, sleep for free, get your cloths washed, get free rides to stuff off the trail, where the best swimming holes and plenty of other stuff.

nsherry61
08-08-2016, 15:22
A list like that is not needed. . .
Yeah, well white blazes aren't really needed either, but the experience is apparently much better for more people with them.
I think a list of traditions would be fun even if just to share more of the flavor of the trail experience with people that haven't yet been there.

peakbagger
08-08-2016, 15:44
Wingfoot used to catalog traditions in his yearly trail guide, unfortunately in he inadvertently on occasion turned what was a random act of kindness or trail magic into an expected service along the trail. As the years went along and plenty of folks gave him feedback, he backed of on this somewhat. Unless they are schedule events by organizations or businesses I would suggest not publicizing individual actions and let them be discovery rather than an expectation.

Of course then there are the traditions that are outright illegal and deserve to die like "mooning the cog"