PDA

View Full Version : September 19-29 collegiate loop/Mt Elbert hike clothing.....warm enough???

saltysack
08-08-2016, 09:48
Sleep
solong6
EE enigma 20
Xtherm large
Cap4 hoody
Cap3 bottoms
Mid weight SW socks
Montbell UL down parka
Microdome beanie
Buff
Fleece glove liners
Helium 2 rain shell**layer over dogs down bag**
Houdini wind shell***
ULA rain skirt***

Worn
DT socks x2 alternate
Long sleeve REI Sahara button up shirt
Running shorts or mountain hardware convertible pants???
Compression underwear or leggings???
Sun runner hat
Wildcat trail runners

Originally planned to go earlier in season but due to several factors I'm booked to start sept 19 clockwise out of twin lakes, co...10.5 days Inc Elbert if time permits. I prefer to wear shorts as the nylon hiking pants aren't as comfortable but if it's windy/cold at elevation I'm not sure it's smart not to have some sort of leg protection as I don't have rain pants. On the move I'm usually good to mid 30's in shorts....may just add long compression leggings instead of reg short version and keep the shorts. Thoughts???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colorado_rob
08-08-2016, 10:01
I don't understand some of your abbreviations, like "SW socks" or "solong6" (is that a tent?), but overall, looks pretty darn good (I do understand "DT socks"!)

I personally would go with the convertible pants vs. shorts and leggings, but that's a personal preference.

I also would lose the rain skirt and take some UL rain pants, mostly for warmth, not really rain protection. Dri-ducks over long pants is a really warm combo. I rarely hike in the "rain pants", but in the mornings and evenings they sure are comfy. I just don't see a need for a rain skirt, and you probably won't have much rain and a skirt provides zero warmth. If you have precipitation, likely it will be snow that time of year.

Probably not applicable, but my wife would carry slightly warmer hand protection, as her fingers get cold easily. Mine do not, so I'd be carrying only liners. I like the double-layer wind/rain jacket thing, I do the same these days, especially that time of year, though mine is a Helium and dri-duck jacket combo.

I just bought that Sahara shirt, looking forward to trying it out. Sweet hiking shirt for late-summer and fall, I think, at least.

I swear to doG, I'd ask to join along for a bit, but I'll be on the Long Trail right then. good luck! Have fun and be safe.

saltysack
08-08-2016, 11:07
Thx CR...SW is my half arse abbreviation for smart wool....yea solong6 is a lightheart gear single walled tent.....ill probably bring the convertibles to be safe....my legs never seem to get cold though...if rain is highly unlikely I might ditch the skirt as well...foolish not to bring any leg protection for rain? The LT is on my list but takes lil more time than I currently can get off....so many trails so lil time!!!

colorado_rob
08-08-2016, 11:39
I might ditch the skirt as well...foolish not to bring any leg protection for rain? I'd bring either UL rain pants or your skirt, not neither. I just prefer the pants for warmth. I use a rain skirt myself in rainy climates, like the AT and LT.

aha, SW = smartwool..... sure.

colorado_rob
08-08-2016, 11:59
You asked about the CO hunting season, I thought I'd reply publicly. Here's the webpage with the schedules:

http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/BigGameDatesandFees.aspx

Basically, no rifles until October 1st. Bows are throughout September, muzzle-loaders are a 9 day period.

My wife and I do not bother with any blaze orange in September, but we do wear it in October. since your dates don't go into October, your call on whether you need it for bows/black powder hunters. The CW side does get right up against the popular (for hunting) Gunnison areas... maybe I'd consider it even in September.

When we do "wear" blaze, we don't really wear it, I just sling a plastic blaze orange vest (couple bucks at Walmart) over the top of my pack; I figure it's more visible there than on my body, mostly covered by my pack. If I'm ever separated more than a few feet from my pack, I'd go ahead an put it on my body.

saltysack
08-08-2016, 12:42
Perfect...thx again Rob....

Studlintsean
08-08-2016, 13:45
Salty- I am making a trip out west next week (Wind River Range) and also bought the Sahara Convertibles and Long Sleeve Button up to wear. I tested both out on a February hike in Central VA. I noticed the zipper on the pants rubbed the back of my knees raw after 10 miles so I switched to non-convertibles and will also be bringing a light pair of Nike Dry-fits if the pants get too hot. Definitely do a local hike even in the FL heat to make sure they don't rub you wrong. The shirt worked well but the sleeves on the XL were way too long for me. My wife is picking it up from the alterations place this afternoon. Enjoy your hike. I am hoping to get out to CO next year.

saltysack
08-08-2016, 15:52
Salty- I am making a trip out west next week (Wind River Range) and also bought the Sahara Convertibles and Long Sleeve Button up to wear. I tested both out on a February hike in Central VA. I noticed the zipper on the pants rubbed the back of my knees raw after 10 miles so I switched to non-convertibles and will also be bringing a light pair of Nike Dry-fits if the pants get too hot. Definitely do a local hike even in the FL heat to make sure they don't rub you wrong. The shirt worked well but the sleeves on the XL were way too long for me. My wife is picking it up from the alterations place this afternoon. Enjoy your hike. I am hoping to get out to CO next year.

Good point on the convertibles....I've had mine for several years but mainly use on winter long distance paddling trips not hikes.....I really prefer light running shorts so I'm still up in the air. If I opt for shorts I could always wear my cap 3 bottoms hiking if I have too....the Winds are on my list....damn list keeps growing!

saltysack
08-11-2016, 07:50
Forgot to ask about gaiters are helpful/needed in Co. I used DG gaiters on the Jmt but never had a need on the AT....they worth bringing? My DG are shredded from Jmt so if probably order a new pair...thoughts?

colorado_rob
08-11-2016, 08:51
Forgot to ask about gaiters are helpful/needed in Co. I used DG gaiters on the Jmt but never had a need on the AT....they worth bringing? My DG are shredded from Jmt so if probably order a new pair...thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalktotal personal preference... my wife always wears DG's, I only wear gaiters in snow. I don't seem to have the problem of getting rocks in my shoes, she does.

saltysack
08-11-2016, 09:19
Ill save the $20.....a rock in the shoe is just an excuse to take a break and take in the scenery!