PDA

View Full Version : Clingman's Dome and Fontana Dam

jcollier1971
08-08-2016, 17:44
Looking to hike from CD to FD or vice versa. I like to park, catch a shuttle to other end, and hike back to my car. Which is the better place to park my car for a few days - Clingman's Dome or Fontana Dam? I assume finding a shuttle in either direction won't be too hard. Thanks. Jeff.

TNhiker
08-08-2016, 18:00
I've parked in both spots and have had no problems.....

personally---I always park my car where I'm going to finish and just walk back to it on my own schedule...

call hike inn and they should be abLE to shuttle ya...

they are about a mile from the marina.....

elmotoots
08-08-2016, 18:15
If given a choice I would always park at the Dam, and hike back to my truck.

It is what I have done in the past and like the hike better that way.

And the Dam has security patrols. I even left a 30 foot class a motorhome there for over a week once.

Engine
08-08-2016, 18:18
I've used the Hike Inn shuttle service a few times as well as staying at the motel. I would park at the Dam and catch a shuttle to Clingman's or Newfound Gap, that way you can grab a quick shower at the dam when you're done with the hike.

-Rush-
08-08-2016, 21:21
I've used the Hike Inn shuttle service a few times as well as staying at the motel. I would park at the Dam and catch a shuttle to Clingman's or Newfound Gap, that way you can grab a quick shower at the dam when you're done with the hike.

Agreed. Fontana Dam Visitor's Center is the best place to park IMO. Nancy at the Hike Inn is super cool and can take care of your shuttle needs.

HooKooDooKu
08-09-2016, 12:09
Agreed that parking shouldn't be an issue at either end. The only concern I would have is that if you don't show up at Clingman's Dome early enough in the day, it might be difficult finding a parking spot (keeping in mind that tourists seldom get to Clingman's Dome before about 10:00).

So with that in mind, I think deciding if you want a hike that is mostly up hill or mostly down hill should be your deciding factor rather that issues of parking.

Of course a shuttle isn't going to be cheap... it's an hour and a half to two hours one way (depending upon traffic). Since you're not hung up on one particular direction, would you be interested in extending your trip and making a loop? The hike from one end to the other only takes about three days anyway, and if you don't bother with the shuttle, you would gain most of a day. If you were not hung up on going all the way to the dam, for example, you could hike the AT out as far as say Campsite #113 (close to Shuckstack tower), then return by hiking down Lost Cove to Lakeshore, and back up Hazel Creek. Where as one way from Clingman's Dome to the Dam would be about 30 miles, the loop would be less than 55 (including a side trip to Shuckstack tower). Just a thought.

-Rush-
08-09-2016, 15:13
Nancy at the Hike Inn mentioned just the other day that her charge for a shuttle from Davenport Gap to Fontana was $150. I'd call and confirm since things do change.

TNhiker
08-09-2016, 15:32
Nancy at the Hike Inn mentioned just the other day that her charge for a shuttle from Davenport Gap to Fontana was $150.

thats not as bad as i was thinking...

when i did it a few years ago-----and just for me----it was 100...........

MtDoraDave
08-14-2016, 21:16
Nancy at the Hike Inn mentioned just the other day that her charge for a shuttle from Davenport Gap to Fontana was $150. I'd call and confirm since things do change.

...and that is why I parked at Big Creek Ranger station, hiked to Double Spring Gap, then turned around and went back. It looks different nobo / sobo - especially when there was snow for a few days :D
but yeah, I think we paid $125 to go from clingmans dome to big creek the year before when my hiking partner hurt his knee and had to bail, so $150 sounds about right.