PDA

View Full Version : why would you ever...

Rstar
08-08-2016, 19:30
Why would you EVER get eaten by a bear!?!? Why would you EVER do that?!!!?

Rstar
08-08-2016, 19:31
A typical whiteblaze response to everything

egilbe
08-08-2016, 19:33
I don't know. Maybe the bear was hungry or you smelled good.

illabelle
08-08-2016, 19:34
Not sure what this is about. Is this a rant of some kind? What's the issue?
:-?

Sarcasm the elf
08-08-2016, 19:43

Possibly for the free T-shirt?

kayak karl
08-08-2016, 20:03
i'd rather be eaten by a bear then a rabbit or squirrel, if just for the obituary.

Malto
08-08-2016, 21:05
i'd rather be eaten by a bear then a rabbit or squirrel, if just for the obituary.

Agree. Can you imagine going back home and telling everyone that you were eaten by a squirrel. At least a bear makes a great story.

Sarcasm the elf
08-08-2016, 21:09
Agree. Can you imagine going back home and telling everyone that you were eaten by a squirrel. At least a bear makes a great story.

My backpack had that very problem on my hike last month . When we got back all the other packs in my gear closet laughed at him.

Christoph
08-08-2016, 21:21
Do you want to get eaten by a bear? Because that's how you get eaten by a bear.

rocketsocks
08-08-2016, 21:42
I et barh once...once!

Teacher & Snacktime
08-08-2016, 21:46
It seemed like a good idea at the time?

MuddyWaters
08-08-2016, 21:46

Ive said many times, Id rather be eaten by a bear, than die of a heart attack sitting at a desk at work.
As long as bear gets away with it that is.
Nothing wrong with becoming part of food chain ...once your dead.
Better than spreading ashes, you become part of the wildlife...

cneill13
08-08-2016, 22:17
Wow. White blaze is jumping the shark.

Dan Roper
08-08-2016, 22:29
True story. At Double Springs Gap about six years ago, we learned that a party of teenaged backpackers from Poland were on their way to the shelter from Clingmans Dome. One of my party was learning to speak Polish, so the prospect of spending time with those who spoke that tongue was exciting to him. After awhile, we could hear the boisterous talk of the teenagers as they neared the shelter. I thought it would be nice to welcome them to the shelter in their native tongue, so I turned to my companion and said, "What should I say?"

He replied, "Say 'vye-vyorka.'"

So I stood up, walked towards the Polish teenagers, raised my hand in greeting, and said with enthusiasm, "Vye-vyorka!"

They all came to a dead stop with looks of surprise and alarm. Realizing that something was amiss, I turned to my friend. He was seated on a log, rocking back and forth with tears in his eyes. I'd been had. I asked him, "What did I say?"

He replied, "You said, 'Squirrel!'"

That explained it. Imagine being in an unfamiliar wilderness in a foreign land when a speaker of your tongue announced, "Squirrel!" You'd wonder: Where? What might it do to me?

I'd rather not be eaten by a bear, but I definitely don't want to meet up with a squirrel ferocious enough to set its eyes on me for supper.

egilbe
08-09-2016, 08:41
No worries. Squirrels eat nuts. Wear underwear.

HooKooDooKu
08-09-2016, 10:56
I don't understand the point of the post (especially in the "Strait Forward" forum)...
...and given that in GSMNP, the one death attributed to a bear included the victim being partially consumed... I don't find it funny in the least either.

Offshore
08-09-2016, 11:19
I don't understand the point of the post (especially in the "Strait Forward" forum)...
...and given that in GSMNP, the one death attributed to a bear included the victim being partially consumed... I don't find it funny in the least either.

I can see your point, but its really being joked about in the abstract. If you really want to be offended, look at how the disappearance and death of the hiker Inchworm in Maine kept this board entertained with lots of speculative and later on, "I told you so" posts. This site is largely a forum of strong opinions with an increasingly rare bit of useful information among the noise. Bear jokes come with the territory.

Another Kevin
08-09-2016, 11:23
True story. At Double Springs Gap about six years ago, we learned that a party of teenaged backpackers from Poland were on their way to the shelter from Clingmans Dome. One of my party was learning to speak Polish, so the prospect of spending time with those who spoke that tongue was exciting to him. After awhile, we could hear the boisterous talk of the teenagers as they neared the shelter. I thought it would be nice to welcome them to the shelter in their native tongue, so I turned to my companion and said, "What should I say?"

He replied, "Say 'vye-vyorka.'"

So I stood up, walked towards the Polish teenagers, raised my hand in greeting, and said with enthusiasm, "Vye-vyorka!"

They all came to a dead stop with looks of surprise and alarm. Realizing that something was amiss, I turned to my friend. He was seated on a log, rocking back and forth with tears in his eyes. I'd been had. I asked him, "What did I say?"

He replied, "You said, 'Squirrel!'"

That explained it. Imagine being in an unfamiliar wilderness in a foreign land when a speaker of your tongue announced, "Squirrel!" You'd wonder: Where? What might it do to me?

I'd rather not be eaten by a bear, but I definitely don't want to meet up with a squirrel ferocious enough to set its eyes on me for supper.

And then when you're parting, you can say, 'Dobre utka', which is 'have a nice duck!' Knowing a handful of Polish words put me permanently in the good graces of a motel keeper in Long Lake, New York; when I greeted her with "Dzien dobry, Pani!" and thanked her for the use of her phone with "Dziekuje!" I think I made a friend for life.My daugter did even better with her, addressing her politely as "Babcia." (In many languages, "Grandmother" is a polite term of address from a young person to an old lady.) Considering that I was muddy from head to foot, stank of beaver swamp, and was coughing my head off, the lady was very solicitous indeed!

And back to the topic, I don't have a good answer for why you'd ever be eaten by a bear. The bad answer involves multiple obscene puns, so I won't post it.

HooKooDooKu
08-09-2016, 18:31
I can see your point, but its really being joked about in the abstract. If you really want to be offended, look at how the disappearance and death of the hiker Inchworm in Maine kept this board entertained with lots of speculative and later on, "I told you so" posts. This site is largely a forum of strong opinions with an increasingly rare bit of useful information among the noise. Bear jokes come with the territory.
Still doesn't explain why it's in the "Strait Forward" forum... "Humor" I can see, but not the "Strait Forward".
And yea, I think the Inchworm thread is perhaps the largest thread (in reply count) in all of White Blazes.

imscotty
08-09-2016, 23:06
And yea, I think the Inchworm thread is perhaps the largest thread (in reply count) in all of White Blazes.

Not even close. I do believe that honor belongs right here...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/86369-hikerboys-cyber-cafe

Happy reading

rocketsocks
08-10-2016, 09:16
Not even close. I do believe that honor belongs right here...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/86369-hikerboys-cyber-cafe

Happy readingits a thread about nothin' :sun

Odd Man Out
08-10-2016, 11:51
its a thread about nothin' :sun

Or a thread about everything? :-?

MuddyWaters
08-10-2016, 17:48
Still doesn't explain why it's in the "Strait Forward" forum... "Humor" I can see, but not the "Strait Forward".

Not close. And one of the best real threads ever.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?13082-MinnesotaSmith-Update&p=173995&viewfull=1#post173995

gpburdelljr
08-10-2016, 18:06
Why would you EVER get suckered by a troll!?!? Why would you EVER do that?!!!?

Sarcasm the elf
08-10-2016, 21:57

https://youtu.be/B48D60wH8gA

Personally I was kind of hoping it would get moved over to the humor forum.

MuddyWaters
08-11-2016, 06:54

There's such a dearth of real posts on this site nowadays, that responding to stupid crap and the same newbie questions is about all there's a choice of. and it beats working.:)

Traveler
08-11-2016, 07:01
We could really use a discourse on lichens and if they more value in being used to confirm north or as a food source.

rickb
08-11-2016, 07:27

Because you were the guy portrayed in this move?

https://www.amazon.com/Backcountry-Jeff-Roop/dp/B00WIUW2AG/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1470914307&sr=1-1&keywords=backcountry+movie

Fair warning: Some scenes in this one make The Revenent look like a Disney flick.

egilbe
08-11-2016, 09:09
There's such a dearth of real posts on this site nowadays, that responding to stupid crap and the same newbie questions is about all there's a choice of. and it beats working.:)

You sound jaded. Go for a hike :-)