PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else dislike ti shepherd hook tent stakes?

saltysack
08-09-2016, 10:28
After several years using the 6" ti shepherd hook stakes thinking of trying something else....I often have to get out of the tent as the hooks spin around and guy line comes off. Using with a lightheart gear solong 6. Thinking the ground hogs or similar might hold better as will be using in Co late September where snow is possible....need a tight pitch....any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisJackson
08-09-2016, 10:33
Using a combo of the ground hogs and these guys: http://www.dutchwaregear.com/aluminum-y-summit-stakes.html
Pretty happy. Hold great and I feel like they're more durable. Still carry about 3 ti shephers as backups but they may drop off soon..."tests" with the others have been great no complaints. As for which one i prefer (ground hog or the y summit...can't say really- but the ground hogs do clean up easier i guess because they don't have the punch outs...)

tflaris
08-09-2016, 10:36
I like MSR Groundhogs. Shorts if I'm out west in in rocky soil.

ChrisJackson
08-09-2016, 10:38
https://www.dutchwaregear.com/titanium-ultralight-ascent-stakes.html <-- sorry i posted the wrong url above..this is what i'm using in combo with the ground hogs (notice the punch outs) I like 'em. "ti ultralight ascent"

tflaris
08-09-2016, 10:39
Those look nice!

Sarcasm the elf
08-09-2016, 10:50
I'm not a huge fan of shepherd's hook stakes, they are just too narrow and often pull out of loosely packed soil. I admittedly do have a set of TI ones that I tried out recently but their performance we mediocre and did not land them inside my "circle of trust"

I am slowly destroying the aluminum easton tent stakes that came with my tarptent and am replacing them with stronger but slightly heavier EMS stakes as they break.

http://www.ems.com/dac-tent-stakes-6-pack/19757400012.html?emssrcid=PPC%3AgooPLAs%3A14957615 5965custom3normal%26brand&adpos=1o2&creative=79867067325&device=m&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CKWt-u_JtM4CFY5ZhgodqvsOzQ

colorado_rob
08-09-2016, 10:51
https://www.dutchwaregear.com/titanium-ultralight-ascent-stakes.html <-- sorry i posted the wrong url above..this is what i'm using in combo with the ground hogs (notice the punch outs) I like 'em. "ti ultralight ascent"The trouble with these is that they are nearly twice the weight of a 6-gram Ti shepards hook, meaning if you carry 8 of them, like I do, that's 45-48 extra grams. Not earth-shattering, but nearly two ounces here, two ounces there, and it adds up...

What I did soon after I bought my Ti shepherds hook stakes (and noticed that same twist) is to put each into a vice and close up the hook quite a bit tighter, maybe to about 3/8" vs. the original inch or so; this makes the hook bite into the ground and prevents that annoying twist.

saltysack
08-09-2016, 10:53
Thx...I've got some sand/snow stakes to return to REI...think I'll try out the mini groundhogs....

saltysack
08-09-2016, 10:58
The trouble with these is that they are nearly twice the weight of a 6-gram Ti shepards hook, meaning if you carry 8 of them, like I do, that's 45-48 extra grams. Not earth-shattering, but nearly two ounces here, two ounces there, and it adds up...

What I did soon after I bought my Ti shepherds hook stakes (and noticed that same twist) is to put each into a vice and close up the hook quite a bit tighter, maybe to about 3/8" vs. the original inch or so; this makes the hook bite into the ground and prevents that annoying twist.

Sounds like a good idea also...

bigcranky
08-09-2016, 11:01
I like the Easton "nail" stakes. I use 6-inch stakes on the corners and a 9-inch stake on the main guy lines. They are strong and can hold up to pounding in with a rock. The only serious downside is that sometimes the head separates from the stake when pulling them out.

Sarcasm the elf
08-09-2016, 11:08
I like the Easton "nail" stakes. I use 6-inch stakes on the corners and a 9-inch stake on the main guy lines. They are strong and can hold up to pounding in with a rock. The only serious downside is that sometimes the head separates from the stake when pulling them out.

That last line is in fact why I am replacing mine with different stakes. The easton stakes worked great for me during three season use, but I lost a few to frozen ground in the winter, the heads of stakes broke off when removing them and there was noting I could do to get the rest of the stake out. I am a bit confused as to why they didn't simply drill the rope hole through the body instead just through the glued on head. If they had done that then I could put a piece of string through to get some leverage when removing them.

garlic08
08-09-2016, 11:12
All in all, the Ti shepherd's crooks have been the ideal design for me. Simple and effective. I've been able to nail them into cracks in rocks at times. Nothing else has taken so much abuse and lasted this long.

HooKooDooKu
08-09-2016, 11:15
Several years ago, before I purchased a Big Agnes tent that came with J Stakes, I started to replace my older tent pegs with the lighter and stronger MSR Ground Hog Mini.

Most of my camping is in GSMNP, where the ground is always moist soil, and that soil always sticks to the tent pegs when you pull them out of the ground.

So I disliked the ground hogs because you've got three different grooves to clean out.
By contrast, the J stakes are V-shaped and therefore only have one groove to clean out.

Of course if most of your camping is done where the ground is dry, then is might be a non-issue for you. In which case, I believe the ground hogs are ever so slightly lighter.
Ground Hog Mini = 0.35oz/each
J Stake = 0.40oz/each

Otherwise, I've found the Ground Hog Mini to perform very well.

saltysack
08-09-2016, 11:24
That last line is in fact why I am replacing mine with different stakes. The easton stakes worked great for me during three season use, but I lost a few to frozen ground in the winter, the heads of stakes broke off when removing them and there was noting I could do to get the rest of the stake out. I am a bit confused as to why they didn't simply drill the rope hole through the body instead just through the glued on head. If they had done that then I could put a piece of string through to get some leverage when removing them.

+1...I used these prior to the ti hooks...I broke a few in frozen ground then read a post from Tipi...simply drive in farther then remove....I'm going to try the mini ground hogs..

Rain Man
08-09-2016, 11:35
All in all, the Ti shepherd's crooks have been the ideal design for me. ...

DITTO for me. I've tried just about every other stake. Then again, I tend to improvise, attaching guy lines to rocks, roots, twigs, logs, and etc. Rarely do I use all my stakes. But it's shepherd's hook Ti's for me.

To each his own. I do wish I could find one of the old 6" MSR snow/sand stakes. Never see them anymore. It would double as my cathole shovel.

swisscross
08-09-2016, 11:57
Since getting my Solong I have been testing different stakes.
I picked up a few Lawson ti and burley hooks from Dutch, both the backpacker and ul Easton nails (gold and blue). I already owned some V stakes that come with my BA and a groundhog that I found.

The burley ti's hold better than the 6" ti stakes but not by much.
The gold Easton's are more versatile than the blue.
Groundhogs are a pain to clean.

I like carrying different stakes as all have their place.

If I had to choose one it would be the Easton gold nail.
They are long enough for duff and tough enough for hard soil.
The burly ti's shine in rocky soil but fail where I typically get to go. That is fail for main lines.

Lately I have using the Easton golds for my vestibules and one corner of the tent body, one blue, a couple of burley hooks and carry one 6" hook just on case. N+1.
Will carry this combo until I lose, break or find something better.

MuddyWaters
08-09-2016, 12:00
There are some poorly designed ones that spin.( I have some gossamer gear that are worthless) And there are better that don't. The convenience of getting them into rocky ground out weighs everything else to me. Logs and rocks added when necessary. Lawson's are good

Bad:

Good:

saltysack
08-09-2016, 12:17
There are some poorly designed ones that spin.( I have some gossamer gear that are worthless) And there are better that don't. The convenience of getting them into rocky ground out weighs everything else to me. Logs and rocks added when necessary. Lawson's are good

Bad:

Good:

Yep...the bad looks like mine I bought from Zpacks but think many companies sell same stake rebranded...I'm going to bend the loop closed more as Rob did...worst case I'll buy the mini ground hogs....

Odd Man Out
08-09-2016, 12:51
I have some Ti stakes but have switched to 7" aluminum gutter spikes. They are one piece so head can't come off like an Easton. Also the have a textured surface so the hold very well. Have used a rock to pound then into rocky soil with zero damage. Less than a buck each at the hardware store.

T.S.Kobzol
08-09-2016, 13:34
I also use and like Easton Ti Nails but I also like the TI shepherd hooks. Mainly help when staking on a ground that is rocky. The think footprint of the hook helps to squeeze between rocks that are under ground.

Just Bill
08-09-2016, 13:48
With a fairly extreme angle (45* or so) and sinking them until the tip of the hook digs in as mentioned they work fairly well fer what they are.

Making sure your line is on the shank (not the hook) is a big help too.

Although for once- I can claim a distinct advantage over you eastern and western folks for being in the Midwest :dance

knew there had to be one...:datz:datz

Just Bill
08-09-2016, 13:54

Tap them IN first- helps break the bit of frost/ice that is pinning them in.
Course Ol' Man Willy would tell you the proper way is to pee on them.

You used to (like when I was in Scouts) be able to pound the head down so the rope hole overlapped the shaft- then re-drill it. Though been a long bit since I used one of these and had the chance to try it.

If not- you could probably drill a fresh hole a bit lower on the cap I'd imagine, or worst case through the shaft just below the head.

I've always like the Y or V profile if I needed a bit more oomph over the Easton pegs.

Miles 2 Go
08-09-2016, 13:54
I've been using Tent Tools tent stakes. They are similar to MSR groundhog but use 7075 aluminum. Eight stakes are around $17.00 on Amazon and have a life time warenty, which I've used to replace two bent/damaged stakes with no hassle at all.

Miles 2 Go
08-09-2016, 13:59
Oh and also to clean them I just use what ever tree leaves that are laying around to wipe them down. That or rinse in a stream if I'm camped by one. I did the same when I used the Easton nail stakes.

Another Kevin
08-09-2016, 14:36
I haven't had one of the Easton stakes that came with my TarpTent fail yet. I figure that the replacements are 10 for about five bucks at the hardware store - alumin(i)um gutter spikes. They're an inch or so longer than the Easton stakes and weigh a couple of grams more. I can drill them just below the head and thread a piece of Spectra or Dyneema through, or maybe just tie a Prusik in a tiny loop of Spectra or Dyneema cord. Thanks to Mags for the tip.

saltysack
08-09-2016, 15:31
With a fairly extreme angle (45* or so) and sinking them until the tip of the hook digs in as mentioned they work fairly well fer what they are.

Making sure your line is on the shank (not the hook) is a big help too.

Although for once- I can claim a distinct advantage over you eastern and western folks for being in the Midwest :dance

knew there had to be one...:datz:datz

The way the solong6 has 2 lines per corner(top and bottom) makes it almost impossible to achieve shank holding because it needs to be driven all the way it to hold......

AfterParty
08-09-2016, 16:07
I am gonna try this gutter nail thing I don't like the hooks that came with my tent.

Hosh
08-09-2016, 16:41
Gram for dollar the Easton gold nails are hard to beat. They fit lots of different conditions, albeit I have had some caps come off. The DAC aluminum "v" shape stakes that accompany BA tents are good in many conditions, just heavier. I have some of the titanium "v" shaped slotted stakes, from Zpacks, and you have to be very careful not to bend them. Zpacks demonstates putting them in with modest foot pressure.

Ground hogs are warriors, heavier and more difficult to clean, but dependable and long lasting.

Just Bill
08-09-2016, 17:07
I am gonna try this gutter nail thing I don't like the hooks that came with my tent.

One of the best deals going- Our scout troop just bought 50LB boxes since scouts ain't always so great at keeping track of stakes.

Depending on where you live- they are called gutter spikes too.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/7-in-Aluminum-Spikes-and-5-in-Plastic-Ferrules-10-Pack-25043/100080771

Pole Barn nails are a bit of a different thing, but you can occasionally find them in aluminum (lighter)
Kinda like this- http://www.homedepot.com/p/Grip-Rite-2-x-6-in-60-Penny-Hot-Galvanized-Steel-Common-Nails-50-lb-Pack-60HGC/100178333

Big old #14 deck and post screws work decent too- http://www.homedepot.com/p/FastenMaster-14-8-in-External-Hex-Flange-Hex-Head-Wood-Screws-12-Pack-FMTLOK08-12/202284482

Franco
08-09-2016, 18:42
"So I disliked the ground hogs because you've got three different grooves to clean out.
By contrast, the J stakes are V-shaped and therefore only have one groove to clean out."
Well it takes me exactly the same time to clean a V stake than it does a Y stake and that is done with one pass (fingers or cloth)
Not sure how it is different for you...

To overcome the problem with twisting hook stakes a mate of mine had some made that had a different head.
He sold them on E Bay for a while but no more.
They do work..

MuddyWaters
08-09-2016, 21:02
Both lawson and ruta locura have good ti stakes . the rutas bend a little easy.

Ercoupe
08-10-2016, 07:42
I have used z packs T- hooks for 4 years on a hexamid. Learning curve to not lose them. Must handle them one at a time, or they slip thru my arthritic hands, never to be seen again.

I push (step on) them fully into the ground so they can't spin, and will place a stick, rock on top of it, if the soil is loose. They have even worked in sand, stick on top and cover with sand. Removal is one at a time grabbing the line and pulling straight out. Immediately place the stake in the bag. and move to the next one.

Good choice for the z-pack tents as there is no tensioner. Easy to reposition.

I have used them on frozen ground, they would be worthless on deep snow.

saltysack
08-10-2016, 10:51
Both lawson and ruta locura have good ti stakes . the rutas bend a little easy.

I'm going to bend the head more to see if it helps as CR did...these look identical to the crappy ones you posted.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160810/5e186205727441f977196196c55b3202.jpg

MuddyWaters
08-10-2016, 12:04
I'm going to bend the head more to see if it helps as CR did...these look identical to the crappy ones you posted.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160810/5e186205727441f977196196c55b3202.jpg

I got bunch that look like that. SMD gives them free with shelters. Along with tyvek. I don't use them. Good ones have apex inline with shaft to not bend when press in. And hook positioned behind shaft not to induce turning

saltysack
08-10-2016, 15:05
I bent them....will give it a test if not I'll replace.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160810/7aa79478997228fba0d9fc8d177cd22a.jpg

colorado_rob
08-10-2016, 15:20
I bent them....will give it a test if not I'll replace.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI'd bend them more. Might even consider taking the kink out below the curved head. then close up the head to about a 3/8" or so gap, to bring the head-tip down, so that it bites into the ground better.

Here is my complete suite of Ti stakes, a dozen total; 6-7" and 6-6" stakes. All but one of these are what we are calling the "good" Ti shepards hook stakes, I believe. The four on the top are original. The next 7 down are bent to close the heads a bit.

The one on the bottom is one that was originally like you have, the "bad" kind with shallow hooks on top (I must have found it at a camp spot somewhere). I bent that one to the shape shown (at the bottom), and that's what I recommend. This one bites and holds fine, as do the other 7. I wanted to keep 4 original in case this little mod didn't work well. It does, so now I'll bend those four as well.

saltysack
08-10-2016, 16:12
I'd bend them more. Might even consider taking the kink out below the curved head. then close up the head to about a 3/8" or so gap, to bring the head-tip down, so that it bites into the ground better.

Here is my complete suite of Ti stakes, a dozen total; 6-7" and 6-6" stakes. All but one of these are what we are calling the "good" Ti shepards hook stakes, I believe. The four on the top are original. The next 7 down are bent to close the heads a bit.

The one on the bottom is one that was originally like you have, the "bad" kind with shallow hooks on top (I must have found it at a camp spot somewhere). I bent that one to the shape shown (at the bottom), and that's what I recommend. This one bites and holds fine, as do the other 7. I wanted to keep 4 original in case this little mod didn't work well. It does, so now I'll bend those four as well.

Perfect...thx...

fastfoxengineering
08-13-2016, 02:13
I have a mix of stakes.

2 Full sized msr ground hogs for the the ridgeline tieouts of my ground tarp (rectangular set up in an A-frame)

dealing with anything else just isn't worth the weight savings.

also, I use ti shepherd hooks and a few gutter nails on the other tie outs.

Casey & Gina
08-13-2016, 17:04
I have tried LOTS of types of stakes, and have at several varieties of titanium stakes in my possession now.

Don't like anything aluminum, because it bends in an unfortunate manner, with the bend happening in one place, and is difficult to get back to straight. And anything aluminum WILL bend, in time.

Not a fan of the Y style stakes like Groundhogs besides, because they are too difficult to get into hard ground. For soft ground, they don't really hold any better than a V style stake. For really soft ground, the best hold is achieved by large V-style stakes, such as these: http://toaksoutdoor.com/titaniumvshapedpeg-10.aspx I sometimes carry along 4 of them for the main points on my tunnel tent, just in case the ground is very soft. However, I rarely use them and thus usually don't bother carrying the extra weight.

The main problem with the shepherd hook stakes is their thin diameter. It's amazing how much better hold you get from the slightly thicker diameter aluminum shepherd hook stakes, but those are more difficult to get into the ground and bend easily if you, say, try to press them in using your foot. The first titanium stakes I got were smaller V-style ones (http://toaksoutdoor.com/titaniumvshapedpeg-6.aspx), and I was generally content with those, however that contentedness fails as soon as you're on really hard ground, because the smaller V-style stakes can bend near the top when hammered and are difficult to straighten back to original form. Bends in the thin sheet metal are more catastrophic in nature than in round stakes, and since they always bend in the same place, I worry that repeated bending and straightening will weaken the titanium at that point. However, I think it's less catastrophic to bend one of these than a Y-style stake.

THE best stakes in all the ones I've tried, and the ones I carry religiously, are titanium nail stakes with a thicker diameter than the ultralight ones. These are a bit heavier (about 3 grams each) than the thin diameter guys, but the nail design makes them easy to hammer into hard ground, and they don't bend easily. I bent one ONCE ever so far, hammering them into frozen ground in the winter and not realizing I was hammering into a rock. The bend was gradual along the entire length of the stake, and it was not hard to hammer back to straight. I've used them many dozens of times and other than that haven't managed to bend any. I regularly press them in using my shoe, pressing on them with a rock, or outright hammering them. I don't ever worry about damaging or bending the stakes, and the hold is great in most ground. In all honesty, if you're on really soft ground where these don't hold well, even the larger V-style stakes won't hold all that great either, though they do offer more surface area and will be marginally better as a result. The ones I use are from Vargo: http://www.vargooutdoors.com/titanium-nail-peg.html Hilleberg makes a similar stake sold separately from their tents as an upgrade option (Stinger Titanium, http://us.hilleberg.com/EN/tent/tent-accessories/), but the price is substantially more at over twice the cost of the Vargo stakes of identical length, diameter, and weight. The design of the head on the Hillebergs is slightly better as there is more of a lip to ensure a guyline doesn't come loose, but with the stakes driven it at a proper angle this is not a concern anyways. The loop of pull cord on each stake helps hold a guyline in place anyways...I've never had to get out and re-attach a guyline, though I *have* had to do that with shepherd hook stakes.

For a while, I carried a mix of stakes using lighter shepherd hook stakes just for guylines, but the nail stakes perform so much better that that's now all I carry.

Blaze12
08-23-2016, 23:01
I switched from ti shepherds back to Y stakes, I had my guide lines came of many times too. Having said that I always take 2 ti stakes for back up.

Sent from mobile

Casey & Gina
08-24-2016, 16:50
I just recently picked up some of the ultralight version of the Vargo nail pegs (http://www.vargooutdoors.com/titanium-nail-peg.html#.V74FO2U3RCI) (8 grams each) at an outfitter recently, and I'm actually pretty impressed with them. Make no mistake - they are not the beefy awesome bigger version that I love best (http://www.vargooutdoors.com/titanium-nail-peg.html) (14 grams each), but they are almost as light as a shepherd hook stake, and work much better, since the guyline is held down against the ground rather than up on the hook. The diameter is a little thicker on these than the shepherd hook pegs too - 4mm versus 3.2mm, which is a small difference but makes them significantly stronger and helps them hold the ground better. Different brands/products of titanium shepherd hook pegs have various diameters generally between 3.0mm and 3.5mm - the Toaks ones I have are 3.2mm. For comparison, the heavier 14g nail pegs have a 5mm diameter. The eyelet on these seems to be the weak point, so I use more caution with hammering/pressing them into the ground than the bigger/heavier ones, and don't don't hammer them in too far to the stress from the tent/guyline is on a point below the eyelet, but so far so good. I also found that when the ground is really hard, using a single heavier nail peg and hammering it in maybe 2/3 of the way, then pulling it out and using that as a starter hole for a lighter weight nail peg, works great and does not subject the lighter weight peg to as much stress. I only bought a 6-pack but am pleased enough with them that I plan to purchase more of them, and then switch to them as my primary peg to reduce my weight, carrying only a couple of the heavier nail pegs along for starting holes in hard ground and for the two most essential pegs on my tent. For winter use, I'll still fall back on using all heavier nail pegs.

The shepherd hook pegs will be sold soon, along with most of the V-pegs I have.

Rex Clifton
08-25-2016, 17:45
Don't know if it's still going but Lawson is selling ti stakes for $1.50 each with free shipping. They are a new design and I am very impressed.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

saltysack
08-25-2016, 17:57
Don't know if it's still going but Lawson is selling ti stakes for $1.50 each with free shipping. They are a new design and I am very impressed.

Thx...do these hold good? Good price

saltysack
08-26-2016, 13:53

Bad:

Good:

Lawson is sold out but he said trail designs sells his....which ones do you have best luck with....6.5" or 8"...I'm mainly in south eastern trails with a trip or two years out west....

Rex Clifton
08-27-2016, 19:24
Thx...do these hold good? Good price

Here is the Lawson design. Kind of a hybrid. I've used on two trips and have had no issues.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160827/b50416ea5762024342ec605d70b67056.jpg

saltysack
08-28-2016, 07:41
Here is the Lawson design. Kind of a hybrid. I've used on two trips and have had no issues.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160827/b50416ea5762024342ec605d70b67056.jpg

Thx...he's out of material for another month....trail designs sells his stakes but freight costs as much as stakes...those the 6.5" or 8.5"?

swisscross
08-28-2016, 09:21
Give Dutch a shout, he might have some left. Bought mine from him.

saltysack
08-28-2016, 20:51
Give Dutch a shout, he might have some left. Bought mine from him.

Thx will do

MuddyWaters
08-28-2016, 21:42
Thx will do

Dutchware had them but is out. Funny, lawson sent out email just a few weeks back that was carrying again, but first round went fast.

Ruta locuras are good . maybe bend easier if press in with foot into rocks, etc, but good stakes. I dont pay much attention to which I have, I just add rocks if doesnt seem reliable enough.

Connie
08-29-2016, 06:02
I like the Dutchware mentioned here.

Next time I purchase, it will be Dutchware.

I just purchaded Lawson Equipment, in both lengths: I like two long stakes and the rest shorter stakes.

Connie
08-29-2016, 06:15
I made this list awhile ago, so it is not a comprehensive list.
https://www.geargrams.com/list?id=22878

I like the Dutchware v-stakes in titanium, so next time I get a chance I will purchase.

I have Facebook. I saw Lawson Equipment, availability, announced there.

I think it was Andrew Skurka on my news-feed.

I ordered immediately.

I like two long stakes and the rest short stakes, that is what I ordered.

I have both v-stakes and the Lawson's because I may hike where the ground is just right or somewhat rocky.

Having extra 1.5 cord helps. I use 1.5 cord.

If I have to go around a big rock, using the rock instead of a stake, I can.

saltysack
08-29-2016, 18:39
Dutchware had them but is out. Funny, lawson sent out email just a few weeks back that was carrying again, but first round went fast.

Ruta locuras are good . maybe bend easier if press in with foot into rocks, etc, but good stakes. I dont pay much attention to which I have, I just add rocks if doesnt seem reliable enough.

Trail design has Lawson's in stock but must buy 6 pack either 6.5 or 8.5"...shipping as much as staked

Rex Clifton
08-30-2016, 20:00
Thx...he's out of material for another month....trail designs sells his stakes but freight costs as much as stakes...those the 6.5" or 8.5"?

6.5 inch. Anything longer is useless due to the rocky soil.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Dogwood
08-30-2016, 21:51
Not hating on the Ti Sheperd hook stakes. Ti Sheperd hook stakes are another option that I will leave open to possible use. I have 5 or 6 different type stakes including another three variations of Ti Sheperd hook stakes(bend, thickness of wire, and length) depending on what I expect to be staking into, staking down, how much wind, my shelter choice, etc. The bend(I like Lawsons Outdoor Equipment Ti 6.5" stake for the tight bend which helps not to have the stake twist when staking to a tarp in appropriate for their use ground, http://lawsonequipment.com/titanium-tent-stake-6-5-p883.html), length, and diameter wire definitely play a role in holdability!

MSR Groundhogs are the closest to the best all around stake under anything but winter snow or soft deep beach sand conditions but again they come in at least two different lengths(reg and Mini) and two different versions that I know of. One version being a three sided high grade 7000 Al stake and another, I think, in the same grade Al but a corkscrew version.

saltysack
09-07-2016, 12:07
Ordered 6 @ 6.25" of the new style ti stakes from Dutch...I assume they will be a vast improvement from the other crappy ones with the orange head. Thx all

HeartFire
09-07-2016, 12:42
After several years using the 6" ti shepherd hook stakes thinking of trying something else....I often have to get out of the tent as the hooks spin around and guy line comes off. Using with a lightheart gear solong 6. Thinking the ground hogs or similar might hold better as will be using in Co late September where snow is possible....need a tight pitch....any recommendations?

Salty, I often use 2 separate stakes on the SoLong 6 (ti shepherd hooks) the bottom loop stakes can go straight down into the ground, and the one on the line lock the stake goes in at an angle. Never had a problem this way.
Judy - LightHeart Gear

Tipi Walter
09-07-2016, 14:03

I agree. My go-to four season stake is the Easton nail stake. It used to be standard issue with every Hilleberg tent and then they went with the Y or V stakes which suck in my opinion as such stakes are hell on the hands both pushing in and pulling out. And they snap just as easily as shepherd crook stakes in frozen ground.

Last winter I lost a total of 2 tent pegs on one trip due to all the deep snow I encountered.

Tap them IN first- helps break the bit of frost/ice that is pinning them in.

I learned this technique about 3 years ago and it's one good way to unseat frozen-in pegs.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2006/The-Hilleberg-Staika-in-the/i-QQxQTvD/0/XL/55-15%20%20Trash%20I%20Found%20at%20Naked%20Ground%20 %20d4-XL.jpg
On one trip several years ago I found all this trash in a campsite in the mountains of NC. I took the spoon and a couple stakes and cached them under a rock for future trips when and if I lose a spoon or pegs.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2013-1/Tipi-Walter-Upper-Slickrock/i-hM53jjh/0/XL/TRIP%20145%20132-XL.jpg
I don't take alot of pics of my tent pegs but here's my standard set on a recent trip. Shepherd crooks do not work in high windstorms as they spin and release, as mentioned. The nail pegs are all from old Hilleberg tents. They work great but will bend on occasion and snap in half rarely.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2011/Tipi-Walter-In-Mt-Rogers/i-qdnMWTm/0/L/TRIP%20123%20600-L.jpg
Several years ago I took a trip to Mt Rogers and camped on Wilburn Ridge in a crazy windstorm and had an MSR Fury tent with me which had spots for 21 pegs and I only brought about 15 so I had to whittle these to keep the tent on the ground.

saltysack
09-07-2016, 15:37
Salty, I often use 2 separate stakes on the SoLong 6 (ti shepherd hooks) the bottom loop stakes can go straight down into the ground, and the one on the line lock the stake goes in at an angle. Never had a problem this way.
Judy - LightHeart Gear

Ahhhh....so 10 stakes...interesting....I can see where that would hold better