PDA

View Full Version : Paranormal weirdness at David Lesser Memorial Shelter three nights ago

SGTJones
08-09-2016, 15:09
I'll just copy/paste here from my blog since I don't feel like rewriting the story. First time in 1,000 miles I've felt truly creeped out at night. Anyone else experience weirdness out here? David Lesser Memorial Shelter is about 7-8 miles south of Harper's Ferry.

Paranormal Shelter (http://www.thejourney.co)

For Stumpy’s last night on the AT we stayed at the David Lesser Memorial Shelter. It’s a really nice shelter maintained by the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club. The shelter has a deck, adirondack chairs, a swing, and a large sleeping space.

There was nothing to indicate that this shelter had any special properties. We felt comfortable and at ease. Ate a massive spaghetti dinner and bedded down in the shelter that we had to ourselves. No one else had arrived, either to stay in the shelter or to camp.

The weirdness started when Stumpy saw a light underneath me and thought I had accidentally turned on my headlamp. Not an uncommon occurrence. Except that tonight my headlamp was already stowed in the tent pouch and off. We never located the source of the brief flash of light.

I was awoken multiple times through the night by what sounded like rocks banging together. I also felt like something big was prowling around the shelter. More of a gut feeling than anything specific.

Stumpy also had trouble sleeping and was plagued by nightmares all night. We compared notes in the morning. She didn’t hear any of the rock banging noises but also felt a sense of unease.

The woods can be eeiry at night but what we felt seemed to be different from the normal “dark woods are creepy” feeling.

In the morning I walked down to get water from the spring. This spring is really far from the shelter, about a quarter of a mile. While I was gone Stumpy heard a howling from the direction of the spring. A sustained series of high pitched howls. She thought I was messing with her. It wasn’t me. I never heard anything during my trip to fetch water.

That was the end of the weirdness. We packed up and hiked to Harper’s Ferry without incident.

I wonder if that shelter resided in a “thin place.” Maybe a place where different dimensions meet. Or maybe there was a Sasquatch prowling around. Rock banging and howls are two classic signs that Sasquatch is in the area. Whatever it was it made for a memorable last night with Stumpy.

Ktaadn
08-09-2016, 15:24
Why is this not in the Humor section?

BobTheBuilder
08-09-2016, 15:29
You might be on to something here. I hammocked there in May and several thrus stayed in the shelter. One of them, Lucky Duck, emptied his pack, collected money, and then ran the 3.5 miles to the nearest store and back, returning with two cases of Coors Light. Where he got the energy, I'll never know. Freaky!

MuddyWaters
08-09-2016, 16:43
I sleep good at night

Because you never hear of paranormal spooks ever harming anyone.

Bigfoot either

rickb
08-09-2016, 16:44
There has never been a confirmed Sasquatch event on the AT.

On the other hand, there have been some real bad seeds on the trail over the years (six or seven murdered thru hikers are more than enough proof of that).

If you are sure the howls and rockbanging were real and not a figment of your imaginations, I think it far more likely that someone was ****ing with you.

T.Bates
08-09-2016, 17:01
I camped there near the spring and can attest to the eerie feeling there. My hiking partner and I got to camp just at dusk and there was a light fog but nothing out of the norm. There was one part during the night the we both swore that we heard people talking but never saw anyone or any lights being that it was at night. I also could never shake the feeling that we were being watched and I very rarely get that feeling. I'm not really one that believes in that stuff but that place does have a creepy feeling. On the other hand that is a beautiful shelter and a really nice tenting area. I would recommend people to check it out if you are in the area!!!

Traveler
08-10-2016, 05:54
There has never been a confirmed Sasquatch event on the AT.

On the other hand, there have been some real bad seeds on the trail over the years (six or seven murdered thru hikers are more than enough proof of that).

If you are sure the howls and rockbanging were real and not a figment of your imaginations, I think it far more likely that someone was ****ing with you.

To have a confirmed Sasquatch event on the AT, doesn't Sasquatch existence need to be confirmed first?

Sarcasm the elf
08-10-2016, 06:47
To have a confirmed Sasquatch event on the AT, doesn't Sasquatch existence need to be confirmed first?

It can be done simultaneously. ;)

Traveler
08-10-2016, 06:57
It can be done simultaneously. ;)

Involuntary deification would be simultaneous for me as well. Not a refined defense mechanism but at least one I wouldn't have to think much about.

imscotty
08-10-2016, 09:57
Another reason why I avoid shelters.

Ktaadn
08-10-2016, 09:58
I've slept in or near this shelter on 3 separate occasions and never felt anything. I couldn't even get my wife to fool around a bit in our tent on an anniversary hike.

colorado_rob
08-10-2016, 10:09
Why is this not in the Humor section?Yeah, seriously! Although, I detect perhaps not all on this thread are actually joking......

jeffmeh
08-10-2016, 12:20
The authorities keep denying that Sasquatch exists in the Appalachians, and after sightings always claim it is a released pet or a lone one that made its way from the west.

Ktaadn
08-10-2016, 12:49
The authorities keep denying that Sasquatch exists in the Appalachians, and after sightings always claim it is a released pet or a lone one that made its way from the west.

I see what you did there, and I like it.

canoe
08-10-2016, 12:55
bad mushrooms in the the spaghetti sauce... or maybe good mushrooms

gpburdelljr
08-10-2016, 17:37
Sasquatch has never been confirmed because it is an expert at LNT.:)

chrisj1567
08-10-2016, 17:39
I've slept in or near this shelter on 3 separate occasions and never felt anything. I couldn't even get my wife to fool around a bit in our tent on an anniversary hike.

Sadly I can relate to the second part :(

NY HIKER 50
08-10-2016, 19:03
Maybe you were dreaming. Or maybe the light was foxfire (look it up) you never know. Maybe someone WAS playing a joke.

Or maybe the ghosts come and go and they were trying to say something. Not all of them are bad. Remember, some try to get your attention to let you know they're there. I still wonder about this though.

As for bigfoot, let's put that to rest. You would need a large crowd of both male and female and one cannot sustain itself for hundreds of years. You never know, the sightings could have been a bear. No one can confirm it anyway. As far as I'm concerned, they do not exist. Maybe at one time but today EXTINCT.

CELTIC BUCK
08-10-2016, 21:32
Things go Bump in the Night does not mean a critter maybe a Good ole fashion Spirit and/or merlot and spicy food.

Kaptainkriz
08-10-2016, 21:37
Do Snarley Yow make it that far south?

FreeGoldRush
08-10-2016, 21:51
Thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to hike hard on that part of the trail so that I sleep hard and don't have to get creeped out by any of it. :)

3_dogs
08-11-2016, 12:39
Sasquatch has never been confirmed because it is an expert at LNT.:)

Always figured if Sasquatch's were real someone has one in the freezer somewhere.

jayleigh75
01-18-2017, 23:32
I am currently working on a collection of paranormal stories from along the AT, any chance I can use your's?

I'll just copy/paste here from my blog since I don't feel like rewriting the story. First time in 1,000 miles I've felt truly creeped out at night. Anyone else experience weirdness out here? David Lesser Memorial Shelter is about 7-8 miles south of Harper's Ferry.

Paranormal Shelter (http://www.thejourney.co)

For Stumpy’s last night on the AT we stayed at the David Lesser Memorial Shelter. It’s a really nice shelter maintained by the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club. The shelter has a deck, adirondack chairs, a swing, and a large sleeping space.

There was nothing to indicate that this shelter had any special properties. We felt comfortable and at ease. Ate a massive spaghetti dinner and bedded down in the shelter that we had to ourselves. No one else had arrived, either to stay in the shelter or to camp.

The weirdness started when Stumpy saw a light underneath me and thought I had accidentally turned on my headlamp. Not an uncommon occurrence. Except that tonight my headlamp was already stowed in the tent pouch and off. We never located the source of the brief flash of light.

I was awoken multiple times through the night by what sounded like rocks banging together. I also felt like something big was prowling around the shelter. More of a gut feeling than anything specific.

Stumpy also had trouble sleeping and was plagued by nightmares all night. We compared notes in the morning. She didn’t hear any of the rock banging noises but also felt a sense of unease.

The woods can be eeiry at night but what we felt seemed to be different from the normal “dark woods are creepy” feeling.

In the morning I walked down to get water from the spring. This spring is really far from the shelter, about a quarter of a mile. While I was gone Stumpy heard a howling from the direction of the spring. A sustained series of high pitched howls. She thought I was messing with her. It wasn’t me. I never heard anything during my trip to fetch water.

That was the end of the weirdness. We packed up and hiked to Harper’s Ferry without incident.

I wonder if that shelter resided in a “thin place.” Maybe a place where different dimensions meet. Or maybe there was a Sasquatch prowling around. Rock banging and howls are two classic signs that Sasquatch is in the area. Whatever it was it made for a memorable last night with Stumpy.