PDA

View Full Version : Wide / large toe box hiking shoes / trail runners?

rjstew234
08-10-2016, 11:31
I've been using Asolo Echo 12 wide boots for years and loved them. However, I'd like to move to something lighter and in a sneaker setup, vs. boot. I hiked 35 miles in the Lineville Gorge wearing Salomon Ultra Primes and they were great, but too narrow. I don't have wide feet, I just have a big-big toe and it constantly rubs the inside of the shoe which causes joint pain. So really, I just need something with a huge toe box.

I tried on the Inov-8 Rocklite in size 13 which touts a large toe box, but after wearing them for an hour inside, I still felt the rubbing of my big toe and joint pain. I had about an inch of room in front of my big toe so I definitely can't go any larger.

I've completed a marathon and ran over 5,000 miles in 4 pairs of Brooks Pureflow size 12.5 (shocked they each withstood ~1000 miles). They have a huge toe box for not being a wide shoe and they really let my toes splay, and they're super comfortable. I ordered a pair of their Cascadia trail runners, but they haven't arrived yet.

Any other options for hiking shoes/trail runners with a huge toe box?

ggreaves
08-10-2016, 11:41
Altra Lone Peaks have a huge toe box.

Feral Bill
08-10-2016, 11:44
As do their Superior IIs. They fit my duck feet perfectly.

Ktaadn
08-10-2016, 12:55
when you walk, are your toes pointed forward or out to the side? If they point out to the side, that may be what is causing the rubbing.

gravitino
08-10-2016, 13:24

+1 on the Lone Peak. They also are zero drop, which feels great on my feet.

rjstew234
08-10-2016, 14:36
I walk pigeon toed, toes pointing in, which is probably most of the cause.

My running shoes are only a few mm drop and I love them. I'll definitely look into Lone Peak.

How durable are they compared to Salomon/Merrell/other hiking shoes? They look like they'd tear up pretty easily, especially in the toe. I tend to bang my toes on rocks.

Puddlefish
08-10-2016, 14:42
Hated the Lone Peak, my forefoot spilled over the top on tilted terrain. The Superiors were perfect for me.

saltysack
08-10-2016, 14:46
LaSportiva Wildcats fit my wide feet well....I've had several pair but don't last in the Sierra rock. Work great in south east.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QiWiz
08-10-2016, 14:48
I have 4E feet and use New Balance 4E trailrunners. Can get 2E if 4E is too wide. Keen shoes have a bigger toebox than most.

Maydog
08-10-2016, 16:37
My Merrell Moab Ventilators have a wide toe box, they are comfortable, and they come in a low-top shoe. They seem pretty durable, but I've only had them a couple of months. Have probably hiked a good 150 miles in them though.

rjstew234
08-10-2016, 17:02
I'm going to order a pair of Altra Superior's and Lone Peak. They're exactly what I was looking for. Would you recommend the Lone Peak 2.5 or 3?

Another Kevin
08-10-2016, 17:47
I have 4E feet and use New Balance 4E trailrunners. Can get 2E if 4E is too wide.

This. In some models you can special-order a 6E.

New Balance 610's are wonderfully lightweight and dry fast if they get wet. The factory insoles are worthless, though. Take them out and get whatever color of Superfeet fits your foot shape. (For me it's green, but they have all the different kinds for a reason.)

They last only a few hundred miles in the Catskill Crud, but they're cheap enough that replacing them every few hundred miles doesn't break the bank.

Malto
08-10-2016, 18:38
Of all the trail runners that I have used the Salomons were the narrowest. In the mid range was Wildcats and Cascadias. My current favorites are Lone Peaks and Superiors which almost look like clown shoes, the foot of is so spacious. Can't speak for other brands/models but this was the pecking order of my recent shoes. I will also mention that I went through multiple pair of Salomons and they worked fine at the time. I believe my feet have widened over the last few thousand miles making narrower shoes very uncomfortable.

Malto
08-10-2016, 18:40
One more point. If you are hiking in the east I would reco lone peaks over superiors. The superiors are very minimalistic. I will only wear on really good trail. Also, they are zero drop and may take some getting used to. I switched out between wildcats and lone peak as my feet got used to the difference of the zero drop.

FreeGoldRush
08-10-2016, 18:47
My Merrell Moab Ventilators have a wide toe box, they are comfortable, and they come in a low-top shoe. They seem pretty durable, but I've only had them a couple of months. Have probably hiked a good 150 miles in them though.

On my third or fourth pair of Merrel Moab and love them for my wide feet. But I get those stabbing pains in my heels and my feet ache after a 10 mile hike even though the rest of my body can keep going. These shoes seem to be known for not having a lot of arch support but I am having trouble finding an insert that works. The most recent one I tried began rubbing a hot spot (blister) on the bottom edge of the inside of my heel after just three miles.

What insert do I need that provides only extra arch support without raising my heels?

saltysack
08-10-2016, 22:35
One more point. If you are hiking in the east I would reco lone peaks over superiors. The superiors are very minimalistic. I will only wear on really good trail. Also, they are zero drop and may take some getting used to. I switched out between wildcats and lone peak as my feet got used to the difference of the zero drop.

Lone peak more durable than the wildcats? If so I'll try them next...thx

Maydog
08-11-2016, 06:05
On my third or fourth pair of Merrel Moab and love them for my wide feet. But I get those stabbing pains in my heels and my feet ache after a 10 mile hike even though the rest of my body can keep going. These shoes seem to be known for not having a lot of arch support but I am having trouble finding an insert that works. The most recent one I tried began rubbing a hot spot (blister) on the bottom edge of the inside of my heel after just three miles.

What insert do I need that provides only extra arch support without raising my heels?

Man, I wish I knew. I have some 3/4 length rigid insoles but that won't work for everyone. A lot of people on this forum recommend the Superfeet, but Superfeet makes many different types of insoles. If I were you, I'd go to Dick's Sporting Goods or maybe Abbadabbas and try different ones.

saltysack
08-11-2016, 09:09
Anyone else switch from Wildcats to lone peak 3.0? I've never tried 0 drop? Durability??

Secondmouse
08-11-2016, 12:29

go down to REI and try the Oboz Sawtooth...

Odd Man Out
08-11-2016, 13:02
I've used moabs, then keens, then oboz. All nice. Really like the oboz. All were ventillated, low to, not waterproof light hiking shoes. Not really trail runners.

Knees
08-11-2016, 14:03
The Moabs are trail tested and a good shoe. I use the green superfeet in them and they're a solid choice.

The mid height is good too if you need the extra support, and my hiking partner had good luck with those from PA->ME.

Sarcasm the elf
08-11-2016, 17:51

+1 on the Lone Peak. They also are zero drop, which feels great on my feet.

Are you referring to the new Loan Peak 3.0 model? I ask because I just bought a pair which are my first Altras and while the toe box is more than adequate, I wouldn't describe it as huge. Some of the recent reviews on the Altra website from people who had also owned the 2.5 model state that they feel the toe boxes in the new version are smaller than the one on the 2.5's. I'd be interested to hear feedback from anyone who has used both.

wannahike
08-11-2016, 17:58
Some of the recent reviews on the Altra website from people who had also owned the 2.5 model state that they feel the toe boxes in the new version are smaller than the one on the 2.5's. I'd be interested to hear feedback from anyone who has used both.

I feel that the women's have lost volume. I loved the 2.5 not so much the 3.
That goes for the women's Intuitution too. Just looking at the versions I have next to each other there is a noticeable difference.

Sarcasm the elf
08-11-2016, 18:03
Anyone else switch from Wildcats to lone peak 3.0? I've never tried 0 drop? Durability??

I did last week, so far here is what I think of the Lone Peak:

Pros:
Heel cup and fit was great (for me) and was a huge selling point.
Cushy and very comfortable
Zero drop takes some getting used to but I think I will like it.
Tread grip is much, much better, especially compared to a new pair of wildcats that still has those awful green nubs on the sole. (Once I those nubs wore down on my wildcats the grip greatly improved)
The toe box is a bit larger (see my above comment in the thread)
Lone leaks are setup for dirtygirl type gaitors with both velcro attached to the back and an inconspicuous clip on the front of the tongue. If you wear gaiters this is probably a great feature.

Cons:
Cushy and very comfortable means they are also sloppy and the extra give has caused me feet and ankles to slide and roll a little more than in the wildcats. I'm hoping this will decrease once the soles get broken in.
Rock plate is removable and not as good as the wildcats. Since the plate is removable it sits higher, I wish they had included it as part of the midsole. I may swap the plate and insole out for superfeet to see if that is an improvement.
The Loan Peaks have a tighter mesh than the wildcats and are a little less breathable.

All in all I think I like them but will need a couple of months before I form any strong opinion either way.

saltysack
08-11-2016, 18:06
Are you referring to the new Loan Peak 3.0 model? I ask because I just bought a pair which are my first Altras and while the toe box is more than adequate, I wouldn't describe it as huge. Some of the recent reviews on the Altra website from people who had also owned the 2.5 model state that they feel the toe boxes in the new version are smaller than the one on the 2.5's. I'd be interested to hear feedback from anyone who has used both.

I just returned a new pair of wildcats and ordered lone peak 3.0....I'll try out if not back to wildcats....good old REI return policy....

saltysack
08-11-2016, 18:19

Pros:
Tread grip is much, much better, especially compared to a new pair of wildcats that still has those awful green nubs on the sole. (Once I those nubs wore down on my wildcats the grip greatly improved)
Lone leaks are setup for dirtygirl type gaitors with both velcro attached to the back and an inconspicuous clip on the front of the tongue. If you wear gaiters this is probably a great feature.

Cons:
Cushy and very comfortable means they are also sloppy and the extra give has caused me feet and ankles to slide and roll a little more than in the wildcats. I'm hoping this will decrease once the soles get broken in.
Rock plate is removable and not as good as the wildcats. Since the plate is removable it sits higher, I wish they had included it as part of the midsole. I may swap the plate and insole out for superfeet to see if that is an improvement.
The Loan Peaks have a tighter mesh than the wildcats and are a little less breathable.

All in all I think I like them but will need a couple of months before I form any strong opinion either way.

Perfect...I plan to put my green SF back into them...I've got lil over a month before my Co trip so I'll try them out...

Malto
08-11-2016, 19:08
Lone peak more durable than the wildcats? If so I'll try them next...thx

I only have a couple hundred miles on the Lone Peaks but I would expect the wildcats to be more durable. BUt the Lone Peaks feel SOOOOOOOOOOOOO good.

as to your other question on switching from Wildcats. I switch to the 2.5 s from wildcats and I switched them up for a while during a transition. On my recent 61 mile day I wore the Lone peaks for about 42 before switching out to the wildcats for the rockier portion. That gave me the confidence to wear the lone peaks for all but the rockiest trail. I will be doing a several hundred mile hike in late September and it will be 100 percent lone peaks. I also wear Superiors around my neighbor on walks to ease the transition.

saltysack
08-11-2016, 21:23
I only have a couple hundred miles on the Lone Peaks but I would expect the wildcats to be more durable. BUt the Lone Peaks feel SOOOOOOOOOOOOO good.

as to your other question on switching from Wildcats. I switch to the 2.5 s from wildcats and I switched them up for a while during a transition. On my recent 61 mile day I wore the Lone peaks for about 42 before switching out to the wildcats for the rockier portion. That gave me the confidence to wear the lone peaks for all but the rockiest trail. I will be doing a several hundred mile hike in late September and it will be 100 percent lone peaks. I also wear Superiors around my neighbor on walks to ease the transition.

Thx I just returned my new pair of wildcats and ordered the lone peak 3.0....ill try them out for few weeks before heading out to go the collegiate loop. Worse case I'll buy another set of wildcats as they have been great...guess I'm rough on shoes as I tear up the wildcat uppers in a 200-300 trail miles....I shredded an almost new pair on Jmt. Thank god for duct tape!

Malto
08-12-2016, 04:17
Thx I just returned my new pair of wildcats and ordered the lone peak 3.0....ill try them out for few weeks before heading out to go the collegiate loop. Worse case I'll buy another set of wildcats as they have been great...guess I'm rough on shoes as I tear up the wildcat uppers in a 200-300 trail miles....I shredded an almost new pair on Jmt. Thank god for duct tape!

Wow, you are hard on shoes. Of the dozen pairs of wildcats, my only issues were a couple a small holes on the outside just behind the toes. And that happened after 400-500 miles. The CT is the perfect trail for Starting out with Lone peaks.

Just Bill
08-12-2016, 12:41

Pros:

Cons:

Redoing the lacing, and lace locking the upper improves this quite a bit. I appreciate being able to keep the mid and forefoot relatively loose while locking in the fit around the ankle with the lace lock. On some models of the Ultras and merrell access shoes- I skip the first pair of holes at the toe area as well to give a bit more room up front.

The other thing- My wife has always called them moonboots. They are a bit clown-shoe-esque in general, especially coming from a more traditional pointy toed shoe. Some of the "slop" factor in my opinion also comes from getting used to having a bigger bulkier footprint and takes some getting used to.

http://vitals.lifehacker.com/prevent-running-shoe-blisters-with-a-lace-lock-1685672535

Just Bill
08-12-2016, 12:49
As Malto mentioned- the Superior is a great compliment to the Lone Peak in general.
Dayhiking, training, transitioning, or just plain light trips they are perfect... For backpacking and bigger trips the step up in cush on the Lone Peak is worth it though.

Congrats on coming to the Altra side Malto!

BTW- winter only- but the Neoshell model really is ideal. I didn't have to upgrade my socks from the regular darn tuff nor did I ever bread bag it. Admittedly didn't use them much more than 75-100 miles on dayhikes or neighbor hood walks- but we had a decent bit of snow and slush to use them in and they held up well enough to be encouraged by them. Can't tromp through puddles- but I'm not sure why you'd need to or expect them to do that job. For deflecting basic snow/slush and acting almost as a second sock in terms of warmth they were a winner in my book and much less clammy than any other WPB shoe I've used.

I'd think you use them enough to justify a pair- and they are on clearance now in several places if Altra is out.
https://www.rei.com/product/879059/altra-lone-peak-2-polartec-neoshell-trail-running-shoes-mens

Deacon
08-13-2016, 08:41

I have a very wide forefoot (across the ball to the back of the little toe). Over the years I've tried many shoes, and finally settled on the Moab Ventilators because of their width. I also judge them as one of the least slippery on wet rock.

I don't really expect them to last though. I just walked through Maryland, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey, and really tore them to pieces on the rocks. I had to glue the front of the toes twice.

All that said, the key is to make sure shoes fit.

Snowleopard
08-13-2016, 14:56
I've been using mostly Altra Lone Peak 2.5 because I need a wide toe box for toe spacers (for bunions). The Altra Olympus had more cushion. SOM (http://www.somfootwear.com/ ) are nice with wide toe box, but very minimalistic (not much cushioning). Lems shoes also have a wide toe box, perhaps not so suited to hiking.

I have some size 12s in these (Altra Olympus and Lems) that don't fit me if anyone wants them.

saltysack
08-13-2016, 16:19
Wow, you are hard on shoes. Of the dozen pairs of wildcats, my only issues were a couple a small holes on the outside just behind the toes. And that happened after 400-500 miles. The CT is the perfect trail for Starting out with Lone peaks.

Did you find the Altra sizes run about the same as the wildcats? I ordered a 13 i.e. 47 in wildcats Eu sizing.

One Half
08-13-2016, 21:53
Merrill has a wide toe box light hiker. Not sure if the name. Mine are black with orange accents

Malto
08-14-2016, 12:34
Did you find the Altra sizes run about the same as the wildcats? I ordered a 13 i.e. 47 in wildcats Eu sizing.

Yes, very similar.

saltysack
08-14-2016, 13:41
Yes, very similar.

Thx

Engine
08-14-2016, 14:28
I have a pair of Suacony Grid Excursions that have so far exceeded my expectations. They are available in wide sizes and I bought a pair of 11.5 2E at a local discount shoe source for about $60. Tough to beat a deal like that as long as they fit your feet.

Secondmouse
08-15-2016, 11:38

Pros:

Cons:

how long did/do your Superfeet Green insoles last? do they break down noticeably at a certain point?..

saltysack
08-15-2016, 14:41
how long did/do your Superfeet Green insoles last? do they break down noticeably at a certain point?..

Ive heard after every 2 pair of shoes you should replace the SF...that's what I've been doing but physically can't se much breakdown....

rjstew234
08-17-2016, 12:48
So I received the Altra Superior 2.0 and Lone Peak 3.0, both size 13. I absolutely love the toe box of the Superior. It's the first shoe where I can't feel any pressure on my big toes. My concerns with the superior are 1) I've read horrendous reviews about durability. Seeing the shoe in person, I can understand why. with the amount of rough rock scrambles I do in PA/New England, these will not lat long. 2) The heel on the right shoe feels fine. The heel on the left shoe feels completely different and lifts. How is that possible in the same shoe and same size? I've never experienced that before, but read reports about how the heel doesn't hold in others Superiors's 3) I can feel the Superior has less padding than the Lone Peak. I added the Stoneguard and it feels a bit better, but still thin. I'm curious how sore my feet will be after walking on rocks for 15 miles with a 20lb pack.

Unfortunately I can definitely feel pressure when wearing the Lone Peak's. I was actually surprised how "small" the toe box was. Was it bigger in the 2.0 & 2.5? This is pretty much a deal breaker unless it somehow stretches after a few hikes, which I doubt.

I really wish I found a shoe I'd fall in love with, but both seem to have pretty major drawbacks.

What should I do?!

madgoat
08-17-2016, 15:03
The New Balance Leadville 1210v3 is another option for those who prefer breathable trail runners and have fit issues. It is targeted at ultra runners whose feet swell during 100 mile runs. It has good of cushioning and a very generous fit. It is neutral to low stability. The toe box is very roomy and is much more of a squared off fit as compared to their other NB pointy toe models. It has a durable vibram sole, a rock plate, good cushioning, and a rubber toe protector. The tongue is gusseted, so it helps seal out dirt and debris. It is available in sizes 7-15 (half sizes up to 12) and is available in D, 2E, and 4E widths. These run a bit large, so don't be surprised if your best fit is a half size smaller than usual, but keep in mind that it is targeted at individuals whose feet swell during use, so you may want to keep to your normal size.

I wear 14 4E and am amazed at how much room I have in these. NB 14 4E's typically squeeze me a bit and cause some blister issues with my little toes and the pointy toe boxes tend to cause me to get blisters on the tip of my index toe, but these are so generous in room that I don't think I am going to have the same issues.

seoulstice
08-17-2016, 17:35
I've been wearing the Altra Superior 2.0s all summer for day hiking. Very comfortable from the get go, never had a blister issue. I have wide feet so the extra room in the toebox is wonderful. I hike in PA/NJ/NY, mixed between trail hiking and rock scrambling. They are a little light on cushioning so I'm excited to switch to the Altra Lone Peak 2.5s I bought. Not durable at all at least for the rocky terrain I hike. I can still wear them but they won't last the rest of my hiking season this year. I've probably only put

saltysack
08-19-2016, 19:17
Really liked the wildcats but after a week of wearing the lone peak 3.0 I'm sold.....I did add my green SF....no trail miles though... Only around town and gym.