PDA

View Full Version : 50 mile backpacking loop trip?

rjstew234
08-10-2016, 11:53
I'm looking to do my first solo backpacking trip. I normally average about 13 miles/day with my fiancee, but we've done up to 18. I like to keep it low mileage for her so I don't make her hate life when a walk in the woods is "supposed" to be calm enjoyable. That being said, I truly love marathon experiences and testing my physical limits. I'd like to find a 50 mile loop where I can do 20 miles the first day, 20 miles the 2nd day and 10 miles the last day. Obviously the mileage doesn't have to be exact. I live in Philadelphia, so within a 7 hour drive would be ideal. Some similar loops we've done are below but I'd like something new. I was thinking about a loop on George Washing national Forest (I believe there's a 70 mile loop, but tough to shorten). I'd love to tie in some time on the AT, but it isn't necessary.

Any other suggestions?

Black Forest Trail in PA - This would have been perfect, but we've already done it.
Presi Traverse - 4 days - We averaged 1 mph while bouldering from Madison to Washington, obviously couldn't accomplish that distance
Shenandoah - Multiple 4 day loops
Smokies - 4 day loop
Long Trail - 4 day point to point
WV to North of Harpers Ferry - 4 day point to point on the AT

Engine
08-10-2016, 12:14
There are a BUNCH of loops in the Smokies which could be perfect. Check out the trail map https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/upload/GSMNP-Map_JUNE14-complete4-2.pdf (https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/upload/GSMNP-Map_JUNE14-complete4-2.pdf)

rjstew234
08-10-2016, 12:22
I would love to do the Smokies again, but it's a bit far for me for a 3 day trip since I have to leave after work on Thursday. I'd also prefer somewhere where there aren't designated campsites, but beggars can't be choosers and that isn't a requirement.

egilbe
08-10-2016, 12:36
http://sectionhiker.com/backpacking-the-desolation-loop-in-the-pemigewasset-wilderness/

combine it with a pemi loop for a longer hike.

perrito
08-10-2016, 12:41
Maybe the Devil's Path in the Catskills. It's only 24 miles long, but with pretty brutal vertical gains. A nice feather in anyone's cap.
The Allegheny Front Trail is a 42 mile long loop. I haven't done it, but it's on my list.
The Old Logger's Path is 28 miles. Supposed to be real nice.
Look into Dolly Sods.

HooKooDooKu
08-10-2016, 12:49
The Smokies seems to be a 10 hour drive for you. Got to admit that's a pretty far distance.

However, if you change your mind and would like to do a 3 or 4 day GSMNP loop, let me know. That's where I do most of my backpacking. I've hiked about 80% of the trails... working towards joining the 900miler club, and I've got some resources for helping me come up with trip plans.

You say you want to do 20 miles per day... but if you do pick GSMNP, you're going to be doing some hills. 20mpd AND hills might be a pretty big challenge.

PAHiker
08-10-2016, 12:53
Allegheny Front Trail
Chuck Keiper Trail
Susquehannock Trail - cross connectors make shorter loops possible
Loyalsock Trail - not a loop but there is a shuttle service available
Quehanna Trail - cross connectors and other trails make several loops possible
Pinchot Trail - not a 50 miler of course
Rothrock State Forest - can make loops using the Mid State Trail, Standing Stone Trail and other trails - see the MST and Purple Lizard maps for this area
Black Forest - Donut Hole - Susquehannock Trails combination - all close to each other with several connector trails so you can make your own loop

russb
08-10-2016, 13:46
Just within your 7 hr drive limit is http://cranberrylake50.org

rjstew234
08-10-2016, 15:28
Elevation gain doesn't bother me. We hiked the loop below in the Smokies. It was 4,143 vertical from Big Creek Campground to the peak of Mt sterling and I pretty much ran up the entire thing. It was very cool to see the changes in the forest over a gain like that. I could handle elevation and distance all day long. Like I said, I have a weird natural endurance.

I forgot to mention, we're hiking a loop near lake placid over Labor day so I'm going to avoid the Adirondacks. The Pemi loop looks amazing, but that's an 8 hour drive without counting traffic (which will be brutal from NJ->Manhattan->CT. We'll definitely do that some day.

Is there any way to extend Devil's Path?

HooKooDooKu, I'll reach out to you when my fiancee and I get married in Asheville next April!

http://i.imgur.com/xi2axqj.jpg

Ktaadn
08-10-2016, 15:36
Iron Mountain Trail and AT north of Damascus, VA. I think the full loop is about 63 miles, but lots of trails connect the two that would allow you to pick the right size loop for your needs.

Hikingjim
08-10-2016, 15:43
Some very nice AT/LT sections that are that distance and easy to get back to car:
1. Vermont - Manchester to Inn at Long trail. Pretty well exactly 50 miles. Moderate terrain. Not easy, but nothing killer
nice and scenic and there are extremely cheap and pretty direct buses that will get you back to manchester
2. Waynesborough, VA south to highway 60. Just over 50 miles (or about 48 if you end at the three springs hostel)
A nice route. A bit harder than route #1. There are numerous shuttles that will get you back to waynesborough for $85-$100

Can give more detail if you ever look at doing either of those

Hikingjim
08-10-2016, 15:46
I missed that the ones you listed were ones you've already done, so you may or may not have done that LT section
the VA section I noted is a pretty good challenge

1azarus
08-10-2016, 15:47
i'm getting ready to hike devil's path in the Catskills this weekend, and want to make it into a loop hike -- around 50 miles, kind of what you are looking for. part of the trail needs to be hiked twice, but there are built in loops -- around hunter, sugarloaf and indian head mountains, as well as a loop at High Peak Kaaterskill. I made that trail map available on the Maprika app -- search for Devil's Path hiking trail map.

nsherry61
08-10-2016, 16:37
I'm looking to do my first solo backpacking trip . . . I can do 20 miles the first day . . . Obviously the mileage doesn't have to be exact. . . Presi Traverse - 4 days - We averaged 1 mph while bouldering from Madison to Washington, obviously couldn't accomplish that distance . . .
The Pemi Loop in the Whites of NH (http://www.northeasthikes.com/the-pemi-loop-hike/) is a fantastic hike. Three days is probably about right for a 20 mile per day hiker, as it is about 35 miles of trail that is not quite is rocky, although just as steep and rocky in places, as the Presi Traverse. Probably the most iconic and scenic and considered by many the gem of New Hampshire hiking. If you're really good, you do it in one 18 hr day. Not me. If you are fast and fit, you can also nock off 12 of the NH 4000 footers during the loop, 8 just by hiking the loop, 4 more if you're willing to hike an extra 1/2 mile to mile off the loop trail in a few places.

rjstew234
08-10-2016, 17:11
i'm getting ready to hike devil's path in the Catskills this weekend, and want to make it into a loop hike -- around 50 miles, kind of what you are looking for. part of the trail needs to be hiked twice, but there are built in loops -- around hunter, sugarloaf and indian head mountains, as well as a loop at High Peak Kaaterskill. I made that trail map available on the Maprika app -- search for Devil's Path hiking trail map.

Funny you mentioned Indian Head. I just received an email newsletter from The Outbound Collective and it had a link to the article below. Is that the same Indian Head you're referring to? If so, I would love to hike that. Checking this out on Maprika now...

https://www.theoutbound.com/new-york/hiking/hike-indian-head-and-fish-hawk-cliffs?utm_campaign=update&utm_content=9c141ca20ee8e5ca4d5e03eb494a5cef&utm_medium=email&utm_source=field_guide_mailer&utm_term=FieldGuideMailer-08-10-2016

Engine
08-10-2016, 19:07
The Smokies seems to be a 10 hour drive for you. Got to admit that's a pretty far distance.

However, if you change your mind and would like to do a 3 or 4 day GSMNP loop, let me know. That's where I do most of my backpacking. I've hiked about 80% of the trails... working towards joining the 900miler club, and I've got some resources for helping me come up with trip plans.

You say you want to do 20 miles per day... but if you do pick GSMNP, you're going to be doing some hills. 20mpd AND hills might be a pretty big challenge.

Include the Lakeshore trail in the loop and you can bust out some miles while enjoy amazing fall views accross the lake.

jbwood5
08-11-2016, 08:18
In GA, you can do the Duncan Ridge, Benton McCaye, and Appalachian Trail loop. Park at the Reese Memorial parking lot down from Mountain Crossings. That may be close to your 50 mile goal. I have a report on that I hike I did several years ago, although I extended it up the AT to Dick's Creek Gap to get more miles in.

1azarus
08-11-2016, 12:25
...there's another indian head in the ADK park...The Catskills are just the little sister.

rjstew234
08-11-2016, 16:03
First off, thank you to everyone who provided feedback. I’m going to save the info in this thread for future reference. That being said, since the fiancée and I are heading to the Adirondacks over Labor Day for a leisurely 45 miles/4 days, I decided I’m going to go the opposite direction (literally) and completely push my limits. I came across the link below where a father and son hiked the entire 71 mile Massanutten trail in three days. It’s exactly what I want, seclusion, within a 7 hour drive, lots of miles over somewhat consistent trail. A bonus are the vistas and camping near creeks. I also love planning and this will require a ton of planning to ensure I hit the campsites and figure out timing to make sure I arrive before dark. If I average 23 minutes/mile, it’ll be 10 hour days. 25 miles first day, 25 miles second, 21 miles final. Planning on doing it over the 9/24-25 weekend, where there will be 12 hours of daylight, so I’ll have 2 hours to spare! Should be interesting!

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/1529/

Another Kevin
08-11-2016, 18:43

1azarus: If you're looping the DP, don't forget that there's a second route up Plateau as well. Walk south from Devil's Tombstone to Notch Inn Road following either the highway or the old rail grade. Take Notch Inn Road to the Warner Creek Trail and climb Plateau that way. There are good views on both routes.

If you loop Hunter, maybe take the Becker Hollow trail as well as the Spruceton bridle path. Becker Hollow is the most challenging of the trailed approaches to Hunter's summit. (Devil's Path doesn't quite hit the summit, it crosses in Devil's Acre, the col between Hunter and Leavitt.)

I don't know exactly what you're planning to do to "loop" Kaaterskill High Peak. If you're just planning to circle it on the snowmobile trail, don't bother. It's muddy, all torn up from illegal ATV use, and just pretty wretched in general..

If you're planning to traverse the summit on the Twilight Park Trail, be aware that Hurricane Ledges are very, very steep, and the trail is officially unmarked and unmaintained. (There may be unofficial blazing; the stealth maintainers seem to mark the trail faster than the DEC can remove the markings.) If you want to go this way, I recommend approaching from the south. Follow the instructions at http://catskillmountaineer.com/KM-KHPsouth.html.

It's a lot safer as an in-and-out approach from the north, and still has enough scrambling to be interesting, http://catskillmountaineer.com/KM-KHPnorth.html has the instructions. If you use the north approach, once you've checked out Hurricane Ledge, the east overlook and the upper plane crash, I recommend strongly going back the way you came. I would not want to scramble down Hurricane Ledge without having scrambled up it.. It really is challenging, definitely at least a class 4 and certainly beyond my personal risk tolerance for a solo trip. If you do decide to scramble down Hurricane Ledges, the trail goes off the overlook to the LEFT.

When the trail was officially marked, it was easier, so don't just say, "they were tougher back then." Part of the trail was wiped out in a rock slide associated with the hurricane of 1950, leaving the chute that it now scrambles up.

I've bushwhacked with you. Unless things have improved in the last couple or three years, your orienteering skills are not up to following the old High Peak Trail down to Cortina, so forget about the trail that some maps show heading NW from the KHP summit and circling Round Top at about 3250' elevation. The north side of Round Top is a maze of ledges and most of them peter out, and the trail on the spur of KHP is pretty grown in. The nettles and blackberries there will be hell this time of year. It's the route that I used to get up KHP, but I did it in early spring. If I recall correctly, it was early enough in the year that I had to put on microspikes for the trip down the Twilight Park Trail to the north.

I suspect that you won't get that far. Even for a speed demon like you, a yo-yo of the Devil's Path is already ambitious for a long weekend. At least you're not talking this time about doing it in winter! (It's doable, but definitely means ice axe and crampons, and in bad ice conditions you need to rope up for the west side of Sugarloaf. But I think you learnt that lesson on your Escarpment Trail attempt a couple or three winters ago.)

rjstew234 - A yo-yo of the Devil's Path is 51 miles and 18,000 feet of elevation gain. Are you sure that you're asking to extend it? :) Another possibility for a sort-of-loop of about the length you're looking for is a "dog bone" hike of the Escarpment Trail. Start at the southern terminus on Schutt Road and hike it as far as Elm Ridge. Rather than going down to Route 23, turn left and come out in Maplecrest. Road walk the three miles to the Barnum Road trailhead and take the Black Dome Range and Blackhead Mountain trails as far as the summit of Blackhead. Take the Escarpment Trail back as far as the junction below North Point, and walk out on the Mary's Glen and Rock Shelter trails back to your car. (I've hiked through the Escarpment Trail, and I've done both the loops, but I've never put all three together in one hike.) If you don't like the idea of a 3-mile road walk, do it from the north end and stash a bicycle at one or the other trailhead.

rjstew234
08-11-2016, 20:15
Another Kevin (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php/33207-Another-Kevin), you just set a light bulb off for me....I've always struggled with solo hiking because everything has to be a loop since you can't shuttle with two cars. I don't own a car (live in Philly, no need), so my fiancee and I have rented a car, driven to a city near where the trailhead is, rent from Enterprise for an hour, drop the first rental off at the destination, drive back to Enterprise, drop off the 2nd rental and then have them drive us to the trailhead (they'll do it if it's within 15 miles or so). I'm an avid bicyclist so I could easily stash my bike at the end of my point to point, drive back to the trailhead, hike 50 miles, grab my bike and be back at my car in 4 hours.

Why have I never thought of this before?

1azarus
08-11-2016, 22:21
A. Kevin, you're the man!

Another Kevin
08-12-2016, 00:37
Another Kevin (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php/33207-Another-Kevin), you just set a light bulb off for me....I've always struggled with solo hiking because everything has to be a loop since you can't shuttle with two cars. I don't own a car (live in Philly, no need), so my fiancee and I have rented a car, driven to a city near where the trailhead is, rent from Enterprise for an hour, drop the first rental off at the destination, drive back to Enterprise, drop off the 2nd rental and then have them drive us to the trailhead (they'll do it if it's within 15 miles or so). I'm an avid bicyclist so I could easily stash my bike at the end of my point to point, drive back to the trailhead, hike 50 miles, grab my bike and be back at my car in 4 hours.

Why have I never thought of this before?

Oh, you want a longer bike ride along with a terrific Catskill hike? Choose any section along the Escarpment between Meads Mountain Road in Woodstock and Huntersfield Mountain. Or choose any section at all of the NY Long Path anywhere in the Catskills - from Peekamoose Road to Conesville, it's all terrific. Those two trails literally do not have any sections that I wouldn't recommend. Views to die for. Rock scrambles that make you think you just might die for the views. Phoenicia is a terrific trail town right midway where you need it. (Eat at Brio's while you're there, highly recommended.) Varied ecology - beaver swamp, temperate deciduous forest, grassy bald, pine barrens, pygmy hardwood, boreal balsam-and-spruce forest, with correspondingly diverse wildlife, and transitions so abrupt that it's like stepping from one world into another. The legacy of Thomas Cole, Asher Durand, Frederic Church, and John Burroughs. The tales of Washington Irving. Ruins to explore. Fire towers. Trout streams. Plane crashes. Abandoned quarries, with rock sculpture gardens. A hundred miles of hiker heaven.

(The Shawangunk Ridge on the NYLP is also terrific, and the section that they plan to open this year to connect the two is also nice, I've whacked the route. Orange County is a bit of a disaster. I'm not as familiar with Schoharie County on north, but I know that it has more roadwalk sections, albeit over very pleasant country roads. Bergen and Rockland counties, the wonder is that there's a trail at all - and they manage to route it mostly through parkland! Starting a hiking trail right in Manhattan is a cool idea!)

rjstew234
08-12-2016, 08:46
A.Kevin, You really know how to sell a guy.

Since you're so knowledgeable regarding NY trails, are you familiar with the Western High Peaks of the Adirondacks? As I mentioned earlier in the post, the fiancee and I are going to do a 45 mile loop over Labor day weekend+1 day. I've got the Nat Geo Map. Thinking about Corey's Loop/Seward Range. Would like to have a mix of river/valley hiking while also doing a peak or two. Any suggestions?

Another Kevin
08-12-2016, 11:37
Western High Peaks... hmmm. I don't know the Adirondacks nearly as personally as I do the Catskills. (My brother lives in the western Catskills, so I've been down there a lot more often.) I've thru-hiked the Northville-Placid and done a few of the 4000-footers, but that's about it.

Asking a friend who knows a lot more:

The Sewards are certainly nice - if you're confident in your orienteering skills. The number of would-be 46ers that go in there have kind of beaten a herd path up from Calkins Creek, but you will lose the path at times. The drainage that you climb up to Donaldson from the col is always wet, and very slippery. Be careful on the descent! The approach from Ward Brook is pretty overgrown, so it's more like a bushwhack with occasional signs of a herd path. Ward Brook is the best approach if you're planning to do Seymour on the same trip. It's actually easier to go out to Ward Brook and come back in than it is to get down to Ouluska Pass and back up to the other mountain.

If you take the Ward Brook route, and you have an altimeter (highly recommended for navigation in these dense woods!), you can follow the 3800 foot contour east of the herd path and come to a plane crash site not too far off the trail.

Most hikers going the Ward Brook route will do a two-night trip. Hike in on the first day and make a base camp at Blueberry, Ward Brook or Number Four. If time permits (3-4 hours for a fit and experienced bushwhacko, and nobody else has any business in there) climb Seymour. On the next day, plan to spend a long day (at least 8-10 hours for an experienced bushwhacko, more if you want to linger on the ledges for photography and what-not) doing Seward, Donaldson and Emmons, and come back to base camp. Day 3, climb Seymour if you didn't do that on the first day, and hike out again.

Another interesting outing, in Saranac Lake Wild Forest rather than Western High Peaks, would be: Register at Berkeley Green in Saranac Lake village. Climb McKenzie (10.6 mile round trip starting from Ray Brook village), Haystack (6.6 mile round trip on a side trail off the trail to McKenzie), and Scarface (6.8 mile round trip, trailhead 0.1 mile from the McKenzie one). Then on the other side of Saranac Lake village, Ampersand (5.4 mile round trip), and St. Regis (6.6 mile round trip). Then, finally, back in town, climb Baker right from Saranac Lake village (1.8 mile round trip, go up the right hand trail, which is steep, and save your tired knees by coming down the left hand one). March out to the village green, sign the register, and ring the bell! (One stroke for each peak - it's supposed to be good luck.) The trailheads are far enough apart that you need a car (or a bicycle?) to go between them, but it would be a fun trip with only one car.

There's a patch for doing the 6 peaks, and a separate "Ultra 6'er" patch if you can manage all 6 in 24 hours. You sound like the sort of guy who would relish that challenge.

Most of the summits are bald with 360 degree views, unlike the Sewards, which have spectacular but more limited viewpoints from ledges near the summits.

The interesting thing about this one is that you don't need to camp if you don't want to. If you like, you could sleep every night in a motel in Saranac Lake village. (Of course, if you want to sleep in the woods, there's no shortage of places. And anywhere 150 feet from trail or water is fair game.)

Also, the whole Saranac Lake/St. Regis/Raquette River area has awesome canoeing, if that's your thing. I've never done a really long route there, but I thoroughly enjoyed the trip from Fish Creek to Ampersand Bay and I'd like to do more one of these years. You need to pay for a campsite on Middle or Lower Saranac Lake. It's $22/night for up to six campers, goes up to $27 if you're all from out of state. They'd be likely to be booked solid for a holiday weekend, though. There are lots of outfitters that rent boats.

Sparkeh
08-12-2016, 12:43
Monadnock sunnapee greenway 50 mile point to point. http://www.msgtc.org/

Mags
08-12-2016, 13:26
Along the same lines of a shuttle, the AMC has a hiker shuttle for the whites.

http://www.outdoors.org/lodging-camping/lodging-shuttle.cfm

IF you want to see the Whites and not have to worry about a loop.

Another Kevin
08-15-2016, 17:25
A. Kevin, you're the man!

You owe me a trip report!