PDA

View Full Version : New tent & sleep system in one

Hummy585
08-10-2016, 21:43
Interesting system via KickStatrter...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thermotents/the-best-tent-hammock-inspired-by-travel-crua-hybr?ref=city

jbwood5
08-10-2016, 21:50
Interesting concept.

colorado_rob
08-10-2016, 22:30
Interesting concept.but really heavy. 7 pounds, yikes?

Franco
08-11-2016, 00:06
7lbs for a tent/hammock/mat and sleeping bag for $250 is not bad for a casual user or someone testing the waters.
However for anyone that has already had experience and some gear, what is the chance that all 3 main bits will work for them ?
Anyway, the target was achieved so it should go ahead.

Greenlight
08-11-2016, 06:58
I can't believe how many design flaws I saw. Let's start with this question: How do you seam seal a zipper?

MtDoraDave
08-11-2016, 07:14
7lbs for a tent/hammock/mat and sleeping bag for $250 is not bad for a casual user or someone testing the waters.
However for anyone that has already had experience and some gear, what is the chance that all 3 main bits will work for them ?
Anyway, the target was achieved so it should go ahead.

My first impression was that 7 lbs was super heavy for a backpacking tent, but when I saw that it was for the tent, mattress, AND sleeping bag, I tried to come up with another reason why it's not good enough. Hmm. Perhaps they have found a niche in the market to fill.

cmoulder
08-11-2016, 08:03
My summer shelter/sleep system weighs 2.9 lbs total and I'm not a hammocker, so this isn't my niche. However, there probably is a market 'out there' for this and kudos to them for going for it.

Hikingjim
08-11-2016, 08:36
yeah, the market is for people that just want something that looks cool and different.
7 lbs is way too heavy unless you're getting winter gear.

I liked this one better. 2.6 lbs and some extra functionality
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/255929858/flying-tent-7-seconds-to-the-stars/description

colorado_rob
08-11-2016, 08:49
My first impression was that 7 lbs was super heavy for a backpacking tent, but when I saw that it was for the tent, mattress, AND sleeping bag, I tried to come up with another reason why it's not good enough. Hmm. Perhaps they have found a niche in the market to fill.Even a modest, inexpensive system can be had that's about 5 pounds (tarp tent at 2.5, mattress at a pound, 32 deg bag at 1.5, total = 5 pounds). As cmoulder says, a UL system can be less than 3, but of course pricier (mine is 3# 5oz, and pretty expensive).

I don't hammock, perhaps 7lb ain't that bad for that system? Still seems high.

MuddyWaters
08-11-2016, 09:53
Bulky too.
Gimmick for people that like gimmicks, but don't use them
Which is most of American public
If it looks cool, they buy it

greensleep
08-11-2016, 09:57
My first impression was that 7 lbs was super heavy for a backpacking tent, but when I saw that it was for the tent, mattress, AND sleeping bag, I tried to come up with another reason why it's not good enough. Hmm. Perhaps they have found a niche in the market to fill.

you can check out Clark hammocks too.

MtDoraDave
08-11-2016, 22:19
While the weight or bulk of it is important, the function of it is what I'd be more concerned with.
I wouldn't buy something like that without plenty of testimonials of how well it kept dry inside. Call me cynical.

Just Bill
08-12-2016, 12:32
I can't believe how many design flaws I saw. Let's start with this question: How do you seam seal a zipper?

http://www.zpacks.com/materials.shtml

Zpacks sells waterproof zippers- not unrealistic to assume they used them- but perhaps not likely at that pricepoint.

But otherwise- only glaring flaw-
Using a pad in a hammock always leads to a bit of pad condensation- using a pad in what I assume to be a WP non-breathable shell- would be a bedwetting experience.

Yar- a one man pole bivy at about 2lbs, a thermarest at 1lb, and a summer bag at a 1lb would put you under 7lbs, but not for that price. Each of those run $150-300.

Probably better than what you'd pick up at wally world or a sporting goods store though.
Definetly comparable to the clark system mentioned- http://www.junglehammock.com/product/mark_2_bivy_ground_tent_camping_hammock/ and again- that would still require one buy a pad and sleeping bag.

It's selling to it's intended audience... and if folks get out- who am I to judge?

Though the razor point robin's egg blue nails, designer skinny jeans and converse all stars are a nice Euro-hipster look :D

egilbe
08-12-2016, 14:25
Jeez, you know those models were cringing at being in contact with nature. All that dirt and bugs...

how would that system work in a snowstorm?

Franco
08-12-2016, 18:57
"how would that system work in a snowstorm?"
As I alluded to in my first comment, I see something like this as an appealing gimmick not a product that the sort of folk that frequent forums and or have any experience with the outdoors would buy.
A bit like many of the kitchen do it all cookers, you never see a chef using one of them but they do sound great to the bored person at home.
look :you can roast/steam/broil/defrost/slow cook a moose inside one of this and all for $29.95 (per month for the next decade...) !!! bonus :kitchen knives valued at $299.95 but wait : for the first 3 million callers...

Singto
08-12-2016, 23:06
Not interested in a shelter that I can't comfortably sit upright inside....especially at that weight. Plus, I don't hike solo with shelters that use proprietary poles or two hiking poles.

rdljr
08-13-2016, 06:20
Company s have been sealing zippers on dry suits for years. that will be an easy hurdle for them, price and weight not so easy.

Malto
08-13-2016, 07:23
7 lbs is not out the ordinary with the weight that many have here for a total sleep system. But this is a very Spartan shelter more akin to a bivy. This weight more than twice as much as my sleep system even when using an xtherm. I seriously doubt there r value of the mat comes close to the xtherm, you can sit in the shelter and without any technical specs there are probably other compromises.

back to the weight. I have about $500 in my total system which is about $100 more than retail or $250 more than the funding. I would gladly pay $100 to shed each of the three extra pounds of weight so now the "low" price doesn't seem so low. Finally, I suspect to true retail will be higher than the $400 target listed on the site. There is a lot of material and labor in that system.

my signature line is very relevant.

Casey & Gina
08-14-2016, 18:50
The long freshly-painted nails on the girl in the "backcountry" in the video told me everything I need to know.