PDA

View Full Version : Wearing shorts and tights

English Stu
08-13-2016, 10:30
I have seen this combo on the AT. If it warms up is it not a hassle to take the tights off to continue just in shorts: or do you just keep them on.

Rain Man
08-13-2016, 10:33
I only do that combination in cold weather, so rarely do I face that dilemma of getting so warm that I need to take off the long-john bottoms. But that's what I'd do if I did get too warm, yes. Not a big deal.

A lot of body warmth issues can be dealt with by pacing.

saltysack
08-13-2016, 10:59
I assume your talking about compression tights? I've found unless its projected to stay below mid 30's I'm fine in shorts alone....as long as I'm on the go. Worst case I can wear my baselayer(sleep wear) in the morning then shed it mid day. I realize it's frowned upon to hike in your dry sleep cloths but only do so if no chance of rain. After I remove them simply safety pin them to my pack to dry out while I hike.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

English Stu
08-13-2016, 13:40
Just wondered- I really meant long john bottoms. It can be cool early in the morning and any evening miles. I walk in zip offs myself; I have long johns in various thicknesses if it is cold I mainly ski in them under Salopettes .

RockDoc
08-13-2016, 17:15
If you have any issues with chaffing, compression shorts or tights are a Godsend.

saltysack
08-13-2016, 18:46
If you have any issues with chaffing, compression shorts or tights are a Godsend.

+1...UA compressions been going strong for years and dry fairly fast. Just don't put in dryer

MtDoraDave
08-13-2016, 19:56
I met a guy a year or so back who wore shorts and camouflage pattern tights underneath - and a long sleeve top (also skin tight, camouflage ).
In the summer.
He said it breathes fine, so it wasn't hot, and he swore it kept ticks off him.

saltysack
08-13-2016, 21:01
I met a guy a year or so back who wore shorts and camouflage pattern tights underneath - and a long sleeve top (also skin tight, camouflage ).
In the summer.
He said it breathes fine, so it wasn't hot, and he swore it kept ticks off him.

Yea the tick couldn't see him....[emoji23]

English Stu
08-14-2016, 07:22
Good point about tick prevention.I had one escapade with one on the AT. I spotted it late at night on my ankle and automatically swiped it off and then had to dig the head out with a penknife. I was determined not to leave anything in, not a good experience

Lynnette
08-14-2016, 11:59
Hi there, this are my combos: shorts/tights and yes it can be a "gotto stop and take them off moment. " So - I altered my combo by acquiring a skirt. Thus a skirt/tights. If the tights are ankler vs flared - yep you gotto take your shoes off, but is not a complete undress-redress in the woods. I also have tried and love the arm and leg warmer approach. My leg warmers come off without removing my boots.

English Stu
08-15-2016, 09:14
I thought a skirt/kilt might be the answer.

Just Bill
08-15-2016, 10:13
Yar- be man and put on a skirt. :D

Easier to get the tights off when it warms up with a skirt- but other than modesty- not sure why you'd put the shorts on over the tights in warmer months.

Though I have learnt that some folks really love their pockets and store quite a bit of kit in their "leg pack"- so likely they can't simply stow the shorts until needed.

Gambit McCrae
08-15-2016, 12:00
For me it is a late fall to early spring ordeal of wearing the leggings. I usually end up kicking myself in the butt 2 trips a year on this, the first trip of hot weather, and the first trip of cold weather.

MtDoraDave
08-15-2016, 22:08
Rynoskin. Black or camo.
I finally remembered to google those insect protection tights that guy was wearing, and found it... apparently the camo pattern is more manly - so the other outdoorsmen don't pick on you for wearing tights. Lol
Anyway, possibly a better alternative to deet that washes away with sweat.

English Stu
08-19-2016, 05:18
I was thinking the combo could save weight. I look a bit like Mrs Doubtfire as it is so would be a bit concerned to add further to the androgynous look. The Camo tights might be the answer.

saltysack
08-19-2016, 06:34
I was thinking the combo could save weight. I look a bit like Mrs Doubtfire as it is so would be a bit concerned to add further to the androgynous look. The Camo tights might be the answer.

These have been great for the $....not to hot/cold...http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160819/d11a8f4767b5a85366a1f30a505d8410.jpg