PDA

View Full Version : Thru-Hike deadlines that didn't really work out...

SamBrooks_01
08-13-2016, 11:46
Earlier this year I was planning to Thru-Hike in 2017. I've got some experience but I've never been on a "real" long-distance backpacking trip, so I wanted to go do the Foothills Trail in September (mostly because of how I could've worked it out with the day job). Unfortunately, due to both work and family situations out of my control, I can't make it to the Foothills, at least when I wanted to.

I MAY have a new plan, so I'm looking for any advice yall could give:

New Plan 1: I wait until 2017 when I actually have a couple weeks of vacation time built up, do the Foothills, and the AT will probably be pushed off for another year. I don't want to push it off because I've got other career deals that will be coming up at about the time I'd be hiking, big things I've been waiting years for and if they come up when I'm out I probably won't ever get them again.

New Plan 2: I just save every penny (pretty much doing it anyway) and wait for tax time. Take my check and dip out for the AT, even if I didn't get to do another trail before. The biggest thing holding me back for the time being is money anyway. I'd love to be able to just run on to the trail and not worry about cash, just live and hike one day and mile at a time. But I've got certain things, I'll have to deal with at home and on the trail, that will cost me. Definitely possible, but it'll take money.

Anyway, earlier on I posted on here a few times and got some cool advice from some of yall. Like I said, I still don't know what I'll do, but any advice is good advice.

Sam

Slo-go'en
08-13-2016, 15:32
Or plan "C", do half a thru hike, like GA to WV.

Lots of advantages to that. It costs less money, takes less time and doesn't beat up your body as much. Plus you can wait until later to start, like late April so the trail will be less crowded and you'll finish before it gets crazy hot. The majority of people who plan to do a thru hike end up only doing a 1/3 or 1/2 of the trail anyway, so you might was well plan it that way to start.

CarlZ993
08-13-2016, 22:56
There are numerous hikers who have thru-hiked quite frugally (I wasn't one of them). A 'quicker' hike costs less money. Spend less time in towns (big money drag; tough to do, however, when the weather is cold & nasty). Resupply, take care of chores, and hike out of town. Hooking up w/ a hiking buddy can save you some money when you do decide to do a town stay (splitting a room when there is no hostel option).

You can check out my hiking itinerary in the signature below. I did my hike in just under 5 months & I took it purposely easy in the beginning. Being much younger, you should be able to go faster if you are motivated.

Good luck on your decision. If you decide to hike it next year or the year after, I wish you the best on the trail.

The Cleaner
08-13-2016, 23:09
Too much baggage at home kills many thru hikes.

glenlawson
08-13-2016, 23:11
find today's post by jj don't play. Last February he asked about the possibility of a thru with only 8 weeks to plan. He had an opportunity and wanted to take advantage. March 3 he posted that he turned in his notice. Today, he posted a picture of himself atop Katahdin, dated yesterday, August 12th. Proud of him for tackling that and taking the opportunity.

the trail will teach you. you just have to be its student. if you think next spring is a possibility, start collecting your equipment now, get used to it. Can you start the 3rd week of April, or a little later? this could save you some cold weather and the possibility (or temptation) to hole up in town until the weather clears. Pick up a good data guide and go through it. The spreadsheet on the above post is great to.

take the chance and go for it. have fun.

ldsailor
08-14-2016, 14:10
I got on the AT this year. It was never my plan to thru hike, but I did 325 miles from Springer. With that disclosure, the hike happened real fast. I had never hiked before – didn’t even have a small day-pack. I started thinking about it in February and by March decided to pull the trigger. I bought all my gear in March and left for Springer April 1st. I tagged along with an experienced hiker for several days until we parted ways, and then I just kept walking. I could have gone all the way but had other commitments throughout the summer, which made it impossible.

The point being, don’t overthink it. Read as much about the trail as you can, ask questions, map out a strategy for getting supplies, and have enough money to do the hike.

I’m going back on the trail in October with the hope I can hit the 500 mile mark. If everything goes okay, next year I’ll keep clear of commitments and try to complete the trail.

jj dont play
08-14-2016, 14:17
I had never back packed before, or really hiked and learned to use my equipment on trail. Didn't have time for a shakedown hike, etc. And had not done any real physical activity for 2 years and managed to complete my thru hike in 117 days.
I did however have a lot of experience in the outdoors and remote areas alone and a running background.
My point is if you can't do a shakedown don't sweat it, if 2017 is the best time for you go for it! But if life is already getting in the way of a shakedown I would work to try to keep any situations like that from happening while on trail, of course for the most part it will be out of your control but take care of what you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shrewd
08-18-2016, 18:33
Go for it, brother

think about this way, if for whatever reason I decide to quit, you've still got a longer hike than your original shakedown, and you could come back later for an epic 2 part section hike.

if you don't know out the whole thing, that is

saltysack
08-18-2016, 20:08
I really liked the FHT....did it this year...fun 3.5 days but would plan on few more days if your a newbie....plenty of bail out spots if needed

Berserker
08-19-2016, 12:03
Earlier this year I was planning to Thru-Hike in 2017. I've got some experience but I've never been on a "real" long-distance backpacking trip, so I wanted to go do the Foothills Trail in September (mostly because of how I could've worked it out with the day job). Unfortunately, due to both work and family situations out of my control, I can't make it to the Foothills, at least when I wanted to.
Go do a couple of hikes that are 3 - 4 days long and you'll pretty much have most of the experience you need. Most of the AT is just a series of 3 - 4 day hikes between re-supplies, and by the time you get to the few areas where you might need to carry more food you'll already know what to do.

New Plan 1: I wait until 2017 when I actually have a couple weeks of vacation time built up, do the Foothills, and the AT will probably be pushed off for another year. I don't want to push it off because I've got other career deals that will be coming up at about the time I'd be hiking, big things I've been waiting years for and if they come up when I'm out I probably won't ever get them again.
Not to get philosophical or preachy or anything like that, but I've learned over the years that life has a way of making things work out in a manner that is not what you planned for nor could you ever plan for. So that career opportunity isn't going to be your only shot...you'll either have more chances at it at some point or you'll just move on to something else.

New Plan 2: I just save every penny (pretty much doing it anyway) and wait for tax time. Take my check and dip out for the AT, even if I didn't get to do another trail before. The biggest thing holding me back for the time being is money anyway. I'd love to be able to just run on to the trail and not worry about cash, just live and hike one day and mile at a time. But I've got certain things, I'll have to deal with at home and on the trail, that will cost me. Definitely possible, but it'll take money.
So based on my response above, if your home situation can tolerate it and you can save the money you need then you outta just go do it next year. There's many things at the age of 43 I wish I had just done when I was your age, and attempting a thru hike of the AT is one of them.

dig4dirt
08-20-2016, 15:00
I plan on hiking the AT in 2017.

I have been planning a bit, getting gear etc. And reading as much as I can.
So many options, so many things that could end up different scenerios, that I have decided
to just do weekend and overnights until 2017.
Then just hit the AT trail when I am ready and see how far I get.

Just make sure to have things set up and in play for when you have to change plans or something comes up.
I might end up just doing half or a large section and finish when I can.

Bronk
08-21-2016, 10:01
Plan a training hike from Springer to Fontana Dam...when you get done with that, continue north. I've never understood why people think they can train for a 2200 mile hike. You'll get in shape when you get out there. If you hike 100, 300, 500 or 1000 miles and decide you're not having fun anymore you can always quit. The rest you'll figure out on the way.

saltysack
08-21-2016, 10:48
Plan a training hike from Springer to Fontana Dam...when you get done with that, continue north. I've never understood why people think they can train for a 2200 mile hike. You'll get in shape when you get out there. If you hike 100, 300, 500 or 1000 miles and decide you're not having fun anymore you can always quit. The rest you'll figure out on the way.

Agree...but being in general good shape will make those first few weeks allot easier!

dig4dirt
08-21-2016, 22:06
Agree...but being in general good shape will make those first few weeks allot easier!

And could possibly prevent some injuries