PDA

View Full Version : How is the heat affecting this year's thru hikers?

rafe
08-14-2016, 09:06
Just kinda curious if anyone knows... Personally, I can deal with temps up to the mid eighties or so, but above that, things get a bit dicey. And when it happens day after day after day, it must be kinda discouraging.

Here in eastern MA we've had temps hovering near 90 for several weeks now. Today's high expected to be about 95F.

rhjanes
08-14-2016, 10:03
It's probably what you are used to "back home". Here in north TX, we just got a summer "cool" front. After 13 straight days of Heat Advisory, over 100 each day, over night lows in the mid-80's........you learn ways to cope and "get used to it". I'm heading out right now for an 8.5 mile hike......

johnnybgood
08-14-2016, 10:08
I met a few thru's in Vermont last month and they seemed to be handling the heat pretty well. One hiker I met in particular started at daybreak to get big miles in before the afternoon heat settled in.
And then there was Zero Push who claimed to be the queen of zeroes. I forgot her start date...mid March I believe.

becfoot
08-14-2016, 10:22
Here in Orange County, NY, we've had temps in the mid 90s that supposedly feel like over a hundred, with ridiculously high humidity for the past few days. Really terrifying lightning storm last night. I was very concerned about thru-hikers on the trail--I'd run into a few this past week, and this storm definitely covered at least Bellvale to the Bear Mtn. Bridge.

FreeGoldRush
08-14-2016, 12:38
Any suggestions for sleeping in warm, humid weather? Above 75 degrees and high humidity at night is difficult for me. I just lay there and sweat.

Engine
08-14-2016, 14:21
Any suggestions for sleeping in warm, humid weather? Above 75 degrees and high humidity at night is difficult for me. I just lay there and sweat.

Camp as close to a flowing cold river as you safely can, even if it means a stealth camp. It's slmost always 10-15* cooler near the water...

SGTJones
08-14-2016, 14:55
Here's a post from shatter's Facebook today, about the heat. Apparently it's pretty bad. Glad I'm in Maine now!

Living outdoors I can't seem to avoid the heat. I'd kill for a night or two off the trail and in the AC, but the likelihood of that is low. Instead I'm taking another approach; I'm not hiking tomorrow. After 3 days of dehydration and puking I'm taking one day off for me. If anyone is in the Warwick NY/Vernon NJ area and wants to hang then gimme a jingle. Otherwise I'm headed into the woods for a little down time.

JC13
08-14-2016, 15:50
Electrolytes are your friend. Sassafras Mtn. in July made me a believer!

PacDaddy
08-14-2016, 16:51

get "natural"

Slo-go'en
08-14-2016, 17:18
I don't do well in the heat either. Slows me way down. This is when the UL "Siesta" hammock to hang out in during the afternoon would be a big help. Anyone still stuck in the "hot zone" must be really suffering.

Even up here in the Whites it's been insufferable for weeks. Concord has recorded 19 days above 90 this summer (the average is 11). We got some much needed rain the last two days, but now the humidity is killer! No break in sight, at least not for a few more days. I hope the snowy winter prediction for up here this year comes true :)

la.lindsey
08-14-2016, 19:09
I'm halfway through a 3 week section in VT/MA/CT right now. It's been pretty brutal. Not a lot of water, really high humidity. I'm from Tennessee/Alabama and the heat has been rough on me. The SOBO I'm hiking with is from Florida and agrees it's as bad as Florida right now. We cut miles back a little just because the heat was so rough. Some thrus are take siestas in the middle of the day. It looks like we're getting a break from the heat in a day or two, though, so hopefully that'll help.

The sleeping has been ok, just mosquitos make it an issue really. I could tent but I'm lazy.

There's your update from the field. Please don't yell at me for having a phone with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suzy Q
08-15-2016, 05:57
Our hiker suffered through Pennsylvania, with high temperatures and dried up water sources. He endured dehydration more than once, even though he carried 3 liters of water with him.
The last few days in New Yirk have been too much for him, and he has taken a break from his thru hike. We hope he finishes, being close to 3/4 of the way done!
Be careful out there everyone! Happy trails!

4shot
08-15-2016, 06:39
The last few days in New Yirk have been too much for him, and he has taken a break from his thru hike. We hope he finishes, being close to 3/4 of the way done!
Be careful out there everyone! Happy trails!

Barring injury, the odds of him finishing are pretty high. I can recall hearing of just one person who quit simply 'because it wasn't fun anymore" in New England (believe it or not, this guy quit in Rangely, Maine). I do know of 2 others that had to get off trail that far north due to injury.

i agree with others - the worst part of hiking in this kind of heat is finding/ managing your water supply.

greenmtnboy
08-15-2016, 10:01
I'd look at the natural options like herbs, hot pepper caps., herbs for heat tolerance.  Light clothing, lots of water.  

The Solemates
08-15-2016, 16:05
I have no idea what anyone is talking about. It hasnt been over 90 here all summer. :)

DuneElliot
08-15-2016, 18:45
Well shoot, here I was battling the cold and rain for the past week and wishing it was hot! However, kidding aside, I hope everyone is staying safe and hydrated out there.