PDA

View Full Version : Trail Weather in November - Virginia and Beyond NOBO

ldsailor
08-14-2016, 14:27
In early October I'm picking up a section hike I stopped this year in May at mile 325 (NOBO). My goal is to hit the 500 mile mark, but I may want to go on further than that. My outside goal is Harper's Ferry although that is probably a real stretch and a dream.

Is there anybody familiar with the area who can tell me what to expect weather-wise especially in November?

Pastor Bryon
08-14-2016, 16:22
Virginia could be all over the map that time of year. Could hit 80 during the day, could bottom at 20 overnight. You'll need to be ready to adjust quickly, in my opinion. Lots of leaves down, watch your step, it gets slippery. Keep an eye out for the blazes; trail is covered by leaves pretty deep in some areas.

Also, remember hunting season is full on. Keep blaze orange on you at all times on the trail

johnnybgood
08-14-2016, 17:01
From the James River Footbridge you'll hike to elevation atop the BRP where temperatures will be cooler by 3-6 degrees. The 500 mile mark will have you ending at Rt.522 near Front Royal .

There are shuttles out of Front Royal that can pick you up at 522 ; http://whiteblaze.net/forum/shuttles-2016.php

November temperatures at elevation-- BRP through SNP-- can vary immensely so bring a 20 degree bag and be prepared for cold nights in the 30's and even 20's. Daytime highs in the 50's & 60's. Also any falling precip can chill you to the bone within minutes so bring a water-proof polartec lined shell rain jacket. Fleece pull over tops for the evening in camp.

ldsailor
08-16-2016, 20:39
Thanks, guys. That's really helpful!