PDA

View Full Version : Insurance for camping gear?

ncmtns
08-14-2016, 22:01
Im getting nervous hearing about folks losing their backpacks for some reason. Ive got some pretty expensive gear that Id hate to lose on the trail. Has anyone heard of a policy to cover this?

swjohnsey
08-14-2016, 22:07
No. . . . . . . . .

GoldenBear
08-14-2016, 22:35
If you have homeowners, rental, or personal property insurance; your possessions are covered when away from your premises:

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/insurance/homeowners-insurance-can-leave-home-with-you-1.aspx

Note that this kind of insurance comes with limits and deductibles, particularly when you are away from your premises, so talk to your insurance agent.
If your items are truly high value, you might want to have a separate rider.

In addition, some credit card companies automatically cover items, purchased with their cards, if the items are lost or stolen.
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-card-benefits/purchase-protection-credit-cards-cover-belongings/
Again, check the time limitations carefully.

Hikingjim
08-14-2016, 22:36
limit leaving your pack around and you will reduce risk by a lot.
some people leave their packs at side trails, restaurants, etc, etc. I am pretty careful

DuneElliot
08-14-2016, 23:27
I just don't leave my pack unattended unless in a really remote area

Engine
08-15-2016, 05:44
Along the trail, how "pack friendly" are stores and restaurants in general? Occasionally, here in the south, I've seen signs on storefronts stating no backpacks allowed.

Gambit McCrae
08-15-2016, 10:02
A lot of establishments have signs stating leave your pack outside!!! In these locations, if with a buddy, a reusable ziptie can be used to secure multiple packs together, making it much more difficult to pickup a single backpack and walk away with it.

dervari
09-07-2016, 17:29
A lot of establishments have signs stating leave your pack outside!!! In these locations, if with a buddy, a reusable ziptie can be used to secure multiple packs together, making it much more difficult to pickup a single backpack and walk away with it.
If it's reusable, what keeps someone from removing it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Sandy of PA
09-07-2016, 18:52
If really concerned a 1.5 ounce skiboard cable lock will make it very hard to snatch and grab. As a solo hiker I have used one to secure my pack to railings, benches, or trees.

AfterParty
09-07-2016, 19:31
Pad lock the shoulder straps around a tree. Probably get 3-4 packs if done right. Some could easily still steal it but they probably wouldn't think long enough if they saw a padlock.

BillyGr
09-08-2016, 15:03

If it's reusable, what keeps someone from removing it?

Not that they couldn't remove it, but if it's in a fairly visible spot they are likely going to want to grab it and go, so being attached to others makes a quick getaway impossible. And it would be much more obvious if they were to walk off carrying several packs.

Dogwood
09-08-2016, 16:41
Avoid leaving your pack unattended. Don't check it on flights, buses, or train trips or leave in a front storage area on town buses. Keep your pack at your side, on your lap, etc as often as you can. I do it regularly despite sometimes being admonished "you'll have to check that." I consider myself happily married to my pack. This is easier if you pack small and light.…UL. Even with larger backpacks on something like an Alaska or Europe trip I'll mail ahead some stuff that I know I can replace or I can't fly with anyhow i.e.; pocket knives, fuel, bug juice, bunch of batteries, some other liquids, trail food, etc. making my backpack smaller being of carry on/overhead bin size. If you must check your pack know how to keep it from being damaged and get to the pick up carousel BEFORE baggage starts coming out for your flight. Thieves target this area. All my packs have at least two straps that close the main body making it harder for a thief to do a rummage and run. Careful what you leave in easy to access hip belt pockets and outside shovel and side pockets. Although not common in my experience shady arse other hikers might grab a $700 CF ZP shelter carelessly stored and easily removed from an outside backpack's pocket. Should go without saying don't store valuables such as more expensive hand held devices, cameras, etc outside the main body of your pack either, another reason why all my on trail electronic options are, well, cheap. Don't advertise especially around non hikers what you have. Should you be in a state backpacking that legally allows personal consumption of cannabis/having cannabis legally in your possession or you have prescription drugs don't advertise. Advertising you have these on you brings all sorts of addicts and possibly sketchy arses out of the woodwork. I don't normally carry but if you do legally have the right to carry don't advertise you have a firearm. Don't advertise you are carrying cash which is really largely avoidable on trails such as the AT. Consider small cheapy locks that lock your pack. I've used/seen small deterrent pad locks that weigh less than 1/2 an ounce. This not only prevents thieves but CAN offer certain legal protections from search and seizure. In sketchy areas like around homeless communities(you'll get around these sooner or later if you backpack/travel enough). I'll not totally unload my pack or advertise my gear and I'll sleep with at least one of my pack's shoulder straps around my shoulder or at least tied to something. A tree is good. Going into a store that requires one to leave their backpack outside strap it to something…a street sign, friend's backpacks, etc. Stores that have this requirement don't just drop your pack near the front door which is invitation to a quick handed thief leaving the store. Ask the courtesy desk people to hold your pack behind the courtesy desk or at least behind a register. Make eye contact when doing this. Ask how long that employee is going to be there. At this time I discreetly(quietly) offer, "this is not a Walmart backpack bought at a thrift store or given to me by a homeless shelter. This is my backpacking gear worth $2000. I'm the owner of it(make sure they look at you)." I've been met with greater respect and cooperation and security when I've done this! If at a diner take a seat where you can see it or or keep tabs on it. Be aware of the rep where you are at. If I'm anywhere in Cali, Oregon, Ariz, Tenn, or a big city where I know there's meth use(IT'S GROWING AND EVER INCREASING LARGER AMOUNTS ARE ORIGINATING FROM SOUTH OF THE MEX BoRdER) I especially tighten up security of my gear even not leaving it at a public libraries' computer station unattended to go for a quick bathroom break.

kayak karl
09-08-2016, 16:44
Who has lost their pack that wasn't their own fault???

Dogwood
09-08-2016, 16:51
I'm increasingly aware that supposed hiding of a backpack someone could be watching. :cool:

Greenlight
09-08-2016, 17:15
That is a fantastic idea.

rocketsocks
09-08-2016, 17:36
I took a rider out on my western mountaineering bag...but it doesn't cover, muddy dog tracks, mouse holes, falling limbs, burning, floods, or haboob...but I can spill my pee bottle in the thing and that's covered.

Sarcasm the elf
09-08-2016, 19:04
I took a rider out on my western mountaineering bag...but it doesn't cover, muddy dog tracks, mouse holes, falling limbs, burning, floods, or haboob...but I can spill my pee bottle in the thing and that's covered.

So you have a WM bag now? Well then, I expect to see you at next years MLK trip, no excuses. :D

Venchka
09-08-2016, 20:16
So you have a WM bag now? Well then, I expect to see you at next years MLK trip, no excuses. :D

I own 2 WM bags. Don't look for me at the MLK trip. [emoji2][emoji41]
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

rocketsocks
09-08-2016, 20:35
So you have a WM bag now? Well then, I expect to see you at next years MLK trip, no excuses. :Dits a summer bag only. :D

Sarcasm the elf
09-08-2016, 21:07
its a summer bag only. :D

Blasphemy!

Sarcasm the elf
09-08-2016, 21:08
I own 2 WM bags. Don't look for me at the MLK trip. [emoji2][emoji41]
Wayne

That's okay, you're not the one who bailed on me back in January. :cool:

Venchka
09-08-2016, 23:40
In that case, I'll be there. You can count on me.
Right. Sure. Grinning.
Wayne, camped by the Chama River.

garlic08
09-09-2016, 08:44
After a few months of hiking, dirt, mice, and sweating, seeing cooler stuff that other people are using, and then a cat pees on it at a trail angel's house, you'll be ready to chuck it all over a cliff anyway.

Use common sense and basic situational awareness and don't worry.

JumpMaster Blaster
09-09-2016, 09:06
To answer OP's question, my renters insurance policy covers all of my belongings when I'm away from home, expensive pack/tent/sleeping bag, what have you. Best to check your policy and insurer.

Bronk
09-09-2016, 14:59
If you purchased your gear with your credit card fairly recently it may be covered under their policy. But really, just don't leave your pack lying around. Pretend its your wallet or your purse and treat it accordingly.