PDA

View Full Version : Neels Gap to Springer-Labor day

box
08-15-2016, 00:28
My buddy and i want to finish hiking the last thirty one or so miles from neels to springer around labor day and would like to know about the water situation and the bear activity. Any news and updates would be greatly appreciated...thanks.

Adriana
08-15-2016, 03:20
Water should be good, it has been raining regularly. Bears are very active 20 miles south of Springer.

daddytwosticks
08-15-2016, 07:17
I thought North Georgia, like here in WNC, was in some sort of drought? Moderate, severe, extreme? PM FatMan here on Whiteblaze. He has all the info on this section of trail. PS - Don't pass up a water source this time of year without tanking up. :)

Uncle Joe
08-15-2016, 08:35
I thought North Georgia, like here in WNC, was in some sort of drought? Moderate, severe, extreme? PM FatMan here on Whiteblaze. He has all the info on this section of trail. PS - Don't pass up a water source this time of year without tanking up. :)

It's an air-quote drought. It's been raining daily here for about 2 weeks or more.

cneill13
08-15-2016, 08:44
Regardless of rain, you are going to need to carry water between Justus Creek and Hawk Mountain. It is about 7 miles with two of the toughest back to back mountains on the Georgia AT, Justus and Sassafras.

Very little if any water on this stretch.

Bears are all over the Georgia AT but you will be lucky to see one. Hang your food and cook away from your camping area and you will have no problems.

Carl

soumodeler
08-15-2016, 10:51
Do not underestimate the humidity. You will need more water than you think you will as you will be sweating a ton.

Gambit McCrae
08-15-2016, 11:58
Do not underestimate the humidity. You will need more water than you think you will as you will be sweating a ton.
Very true. These summer months I have been consuming about 3 liters of water per 1000 ft of elevation change. That is really the only observation I have kept due to how much I drink on big climbs. I used to be a 1 maybe 2 liters per 20 miles kind of guy, guess I got tired of getting dehydrated. During these "dry" times of the year, I try and use the rule of never pass up a water source, drink as much as my body will comfortably hold at each stop, and I carry 2.5-3 liters with me. I hate running out of water, and I usually have zero problems using these rules for myself.

Uncle Joe
08-15-2016, 13:15
Regardless of rain, you are going to need to carry water between Justus Creek and Hawk Mountain. It is about 7 miles with two of the toughest back to back mountains on the Georgia AT, Justus and Sassafras.

Very little if any water on this stretch.

Bears are all over the Georgia AT but you will be lucky to see one. Hang your food and cook away from your camping area and you will have no problems.

Carl

Agreed. That stretch has no creek crossings. You might luck out and find some water jugs at Cooper as I think someone does a fairly regular drop there. But plan on not.

WMR
08-16-2016, 09:03
My son and I did Gooch Gap to Amicalola this past weekend, 8/13-14. There was a water drop at Cooper Gap, maybe 6-8 gallons. We got water at Hawk Mtn. Shelter. Water source at Stover Creek Shelter was dry but plenty of water at stream crossing approx. 200 yards south of the shelter. We did not check for water at Springer or Black Gap.

glenlawson
08-16-2016, 17:58
Most of the bears just south of Neels gap (Blood Mtn area) will be hanging around Vogel State Park for Labor Day Weekend. There will be a large number of unsecured coolers filled with bacon and hot dogs. They'll be so full it will take them a week to wander back up into the gaps.

We've been camping in Vogel the last few Labor Days and I am a little amazed at the number of people who don't lock their coolers up in their car.

daddytwosticks
08-17-2016, 07:15
Most of the bears just south of Neels gap (Blood Mtn area) will be hanging around Vogel State Park for Labor Day Weekend. There will be a large number of unsecured coolers filled with bacon and hot dogs. They'll be so full it will take them a week to wander back up into the gaps.

We've been camping in Vogel the last few Labor Days and I am a little amazed at the number of people who don't lock their coolers up in their car.

Yoggi and BooBoo no doubt! :)

FatMan
08-17-2016, 07:54
Forget about bears. You will be lucky to see one. Be more concerned with little critters when it comes to your food bag.

Water does deserve some attention now. Even though we have had some rain, current rains have little effect on springs. The dry Winter and Spring pretty much assured that we would have water issues now. Be aware that the following are dry, or just a puddle at best...Woods Hole Shelter, Woody Gap, Stover Creek Shelter, and Black Gap Shelter (approach trail). I have heard conflicting reports on the springs at Slaughter Creek (base of Blood Mtn) and Springer Shelter. Currently reliable are the creeks...Lance, Blackwell, Justus, and Three Forks. Both Hawk Mtn Shelter and Gooch Mtn Shelter are running fine. Water is available at both Gooch Gap and Grassy Gap but both are several hundred yards off the trail. And you can always yogi a ride down to Suches at Woody Gap. There will be plenty of cars being a holiday.

Water Jugs are being left at Cooper Gap but with higher hiker counts during the holiday weekend it might be a dicey proposition to depend on them being full when you arrive.

And yes, humidity is what will get to you. Temps are likely to top out no higher than 80 but the humidity will be in the upper 70s and 80s. Expect to remain soddened throughout the weekend.

Enjoy your hike and check in closer to labor day for updates.