PDA

View Full Version : If you hate camping, perhaps glamping is your thing

John B
08-15-2016, 13:33
"Glamping" is, for lack of a better definition, luxury camping.

http://nyti.ms/2axl1jI

Sarcasm the elf
08-15-2016, 13:38
I thought Glamping was a word to describe those sparkly vampires from twight...

egilbe
08-15-2016, 13:44
Glamping is for those who want to say they are going camping, without actually being outdoors.

Ktaadn
08-15-2016, 13:47
I do pretty much a mix of everything from lightweight backpacking, to guy's weekend backpacking, to midweight winter backpacking, to car/family camping, to renting a cabin/lodge at a park, to renting a place in town and driving somewhere for a day hike. They all have their own purpose and I enjoy them all for what they are.

gsingjane
08-15-2016, 15:30
What I don't like about glamping is that the Girl Scouts have decided that (to the extent they get outside at all), this is the appropriate way to market outdoors activities to girls. We are seeing camp properties put on the block by the dozens, if not the hundreds, so that the few remaining camps can be "upgraded" to offer wi-fi, lux-y shower facilities, yurts and more...

Hosh
08-15-2016, 15:31
I do pretty much a mix of everything from lightweight backpacking, to guy's weekend backpacking, to midweight winter backpacking, to car/family camping, to renting a cabin/lodge at a park, to renting a place in town and driving somewhere for a day hike. They all have their own purpose and I enjoy them all for what they are.

+1

My youngest daughter is not a big fan of backpacking, but will do our yearly family trip. She prefers condos or hotels but will go car camping or backpacking. Even thought she is not a "purist", she still loves the outdoors.

A couple of months ago, she said something that I found pretty enlightening.

"It doesn't matter where you are or what you are doing. What matters is who you're with."

If my family wanted to go "glamping" then so be it, I would go. Although I would shoot for a 2 nighter in Indian Peaks wilderness.

DuneElliot
08-15-2016, 16:01
I didn't even have to go the "glamping" route to convince my older parents to stay out for the first time in the mountains for a few days. We did take cots, but only because it's harder for them to get off the ground.

becfoot
08-15-2016, 16:46
I don't think my car could hold enough gear for glamping. Car camping with the kids, two small 2 tents, a cooler, mats, and a tub of cooking stuff, and day hiking gear leaves little for luxury items. Where do glamping-types put all their stuff?

becfoot
08-15-2016, 16:48
I don't think my car could hold enough gear for glamping. Car camping with the kids, two small tents, a cooler, mats, and a tub of cooking stuff, and day hiking gear leaves little for luxury items. Where do glamping-types put all their stuff?

MisterQ
08-15-2016, 17:17
I think it's all provided for you. No gear required.

-Rush-
08-15-2016, 20:41
My idea of glamping is retiring to my RV after a nice day or overnight hike. Having my mountain bike with me is always a plus.

MtDoraDave
08-15-2016, 21:54
Glamping, to me, is when the only part that could be construed as camping is the location being at a campgrounds or park : travel trailer, generator, satellite, air conditioning.
Some people do this. I have to believe it is the only way the true camper of the family could get the rest of the family out for the weekend.

Sarcasm the elf
08-15-2016, 21:59
I've gotta say this really does fall under the "whatever floats your boat." category as far as I'm concerned, if they want to pay someone to set up a fancy tent for them and guide them on a day hike then good for them. The more people there are who learn to love the outdoors, the more people there are who might be inclined to help preserve them.

MuddyWaters
08-15-2016, 22:28
Glamping, to me, is when the only part that could be construed as camping is the location being at a campgrounds or park : travel trailer, generator, satellite, air conditioning.
Some people do this. I have to believe it is the only way the true camper of the family could get the rest of the family out for the weekend.

I've known a few families that went thru travel trailer phases. Some with kids, almost every weekend go off to a state park or campground and spend it there. They leave TT packed with everything, clothes, bicycles, etc. all they add is perishable food on Friday afternoon and go after work. Also some older folks with kids out of house do same. It's not "camping", it's not supposed to be. It's rv'ing. The trick to bring able to go often....is it HAS to be easy. Thats what RVs do. They make it easy to go, so you can.

DuneElliot
08-16-2016, 09:18
I'll be living in my RV next year...and even when I'll be boondocking, I won't ever class it as any kind of camping.

colorado_rob
08-16-2016, 10:04
My wife and I are mostly climbers and backpackers.... However, we do like our Glamping! Or should I call it "tramping"? Truck camper-shell sleep setup, as comfy as in our home bed.

Bed, table, chairs, stove, cooler, transportation. Who needs anything else?

"He who spends the most time out of doors, wins"

mostly in Utah....

Hosh
08-16-2016, 21:12
On of the great things about Colorado is the diversity of environments in a 8 hour drive. Moab is a very special place, as is all of SW Utah.

Not trying to encourage people to move and reside here, certainly no more Texans or Californians. :banana

Berserker
08-17-2016, 12:53
My wife and I are mostly climbers and backpackers.... However, we do like our Glamping! Or should I call it "tramping"? Truck camper-shell sleep setup, as comfy as in our home bed.

Bed, table, chairs, stove, cooler, transportation. Who needs anything else?

"He who spends the most time out of doors, wins"

mostly in Utah....
Those pictures look like an advertisement for the Ford 150...what the heck is going on here...subliminal messaging? :-?

All jokes aside, those are some really cool pics.

Berserker
08-17-2016, 12:55
You know when I was younger I would have been one of the first ones on this thread talking about how stupid this glamping thing looks. Now that I'm older and have been beaten into submission on many hard hikes over the years, glamping actually looks like it would be pretty enjoyable...there's a place for everything.

MuddyWaters
08-17-2016, 13:11
Older leader in my son's scout troop did that. Permanent bed in truck camper. Few items stashed there, stove,etc. Rack on roof with fishing rods. He was set to go anywhere at drop of hat. He would just drive up to weekend campouts arriving at 10 pm. Nothing to set up, load up, etc.

Mags
08-17-2016, 14:09
I do something similar with my Kia Sorento (http://www.pmags.com/kia-sorento-cargo-shelf). The 2005 model is a built on a truck frame and has 4WD with 8.2" ground clearence. (Same as a Nissan Xterra. A Jeep cherokee has 8.7 inches. ) Not bad for a vehicle associated more with suburban soccer moms...

http://i0.wp.com/www.pmags.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/small-kia2.jpg?zoom=2&resize=488%2C278

I keep the pads, table and camp chairs underneath. The propane and water just fits just so towards the front. The smaller shelf portion fits into the larger shelf portion for easy stowing if I should need the traditional storage for whatever reason or if I fold the seats up.

http://i1.wp.com/www.pmags.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/small-kia3.jpg?zoom=2&resize=473%2C266

The camp tote, sleeping bag, totes and similar goes above.

http://i1.wp.com/www.pmags.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/small-kia4.jpg?zoom=2&resize=473%2C266

Th wife and I prefer sleeping in a tent, but the late night truck bivys (http://www.pmags.com/the-fine-art-of-the-truck-bivy) can be nice and very useful.

Mags
08-17-2016, 15:25
What I like about the older Kia is that many people, myself included until I did research, do not realize it's 4WD capability. So it was less expensivery vs other vehicles.. I am not an offroader by any means. Like you, some basic /4wd is handy for places like Utah.

Mags
08-17-2016, 15:44
Sorry..I was butter fingers on my tablet..didn't think mean to delete two posts (mine and robs)...doh!!!

DuneElliot
08-17-2016, 15:54

The permanent bed in the back of my truck...I'm short enough to fit just about perfectly in the back seat of my F250. The camping box, clothes, stove and cooler, plus the dogs, go in the bed of the truck. Dog food stays in the cab. This is my version of "glamping" when I'm on a multi-week roadtrip.

tflaris
08-17-2016, 18:43
I'm pretty sure that glamouring someone is what vampires do. So glamping definitely sounds right out of Twilight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MtDoraDave
08-17-2016, 21:14
Glamorous Camping, to me, isn't sleeping in my truck.
Dont get me wrong, I do it sometimes - like the night before or after a week on the trail - but imo that's not "Glamping".
(Again, to me) Sleeping in my truck is more of a convenience so I don't have to set up camp, while Glamping is refusal to camp without all the creature comforts of home.

DuneElliot
08-17-2016, 21:20
Glamorous Camping, to me, isn't sleeping in my truck.
Dont get me wrong, I do it sometimes - like the night before or after a week on the trail - but imo that's not "Glamping".
(Again, to me) Sleeping in my truck is more of a convenience so I don't have to set up camp, while Glamping is refusal to camp without all the creature comforts of home.

My backseat has a mattress and a comforter and sheets...that's why it is as close to "glamping" as I get. Plus, I have a solar shower with me since I am on the road for so long

Lnj
08-18-2016, 15:58
I've known a few families that went thru travel trailer phases. Some with kids, almost every weekend go off to a state park or campground and spend it there. They leave TT packed with everything, clothes, bicycles, etc. all they add is perishable food on Friday afternoon and go after work. Also some older folks with kids out of house do same. It's not "camping", it's not supposed to be. It's rv'ing. The trick to bring able to go often....is it HAS to be easy. Thats what RVs do. They make it easy to go, so you can.

+1 This is exactly what we do as a family. Its as close to camping as my teenage children will entertain. To them, its camping if there's a campfire outside and weenies and/or marshmallows. That's the "family camping" trip. Hubby and I go hiking/backpacking, which is another animal all together that the kiddos will not even consider... though I have begged!!! Actually, both kids will do day hikes, but neither will entertain the prospect of carrying a tent on their back and sleeping in it overnight.