PDA

View Full Version : Need 1 person tent, that also fits dog

r0wdy
08-15-2016, 16:30
Hi, I am looking to buy my first tent for backpacking. I'm 6ft tall, and I currently have a 60lb shepherd lab mix dog that I want to go backpacking with. I scoped out a few tents already and searched threads, but a lot of threads I found were older. I am looking for some recommendations for tents. Here's some I'm considering right now.

SMD Lunar Solo (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/LunarSolo.html) (I heard it's too short for tall people)
Lightheart Solong 6 (http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php/tents/lightheart-solong6-tents/product/view/7/7)
Tarptent Stratospire1 (https://www.tarptent.com/stratospire1.html)
Tarpment Double Rainbow (http://www.tarptent.com/double-rainbow.html)
Tarptent Moment DW (https://www.tarptent.com/momentdw.html)

Right now I am learning towards the Solong 6, but I still want to explore possible options. Weight is a concern, I would prefer something lighter. I also have no trekking poles, so I would be buying any aluminum poles required to set it up. Thoughts? I would also be getting a ground cloth if they provide it, and a seam sealing service. Any recommendations would be great, thanks!

DuneElliot
08-15-2016, 16:47
I don't know about the tall person thing but the SMD Lunar Solo fit me plus two 40lb dogs and my gear. I don't remember how the length was.

I have heard good things about the LHG SoLong for one person and a dog.

Sarcasm the elf
08-15-2016, 17:12
I have the TT Double Rainbow for myself and my 55lb pointer and it fits the bill well and is more than enough space, I'm 5'11' and there is more than enough room for someone who is 6'.
I have heard very good things about the SoLong 6 as well, but I don't personally know anyone who uses it with a dog, so I can't give too much feedback.

capehiker
08-15-2016, 17:55
I have owned or slept in every tent you listed in your opening post. Of the tents you listed, only the Double Rainbow would work. For you and a 60lb dog, the only shelter I could recommend with full confidence is the Zpacks Duplex.

DuneElliot
08-15-2016, 18:17
I have owned or slept in every tent you listed in your opening post. Of the tents you listed, only the Double Rainbow would work. For you and a 60lb dog, the only shelter I could recommend with full confidence is the Zpacks Duplex.

I love my Duplex and it fits me and two dogs pretty well, plus all my gear. I don't let them inside much because of the CF and the cost. If you do go that route I would recommend picking up a cheap and light Thermarest pad that covers the floor area you aren't sleeping on so that claws don't mess with the integrity of the CF floor.

Engine
08-15-2016, 18:24
I love my Duplex and it fits me and two dogs pretty well, plus all my gear. I don't let them inside much because of the CF and the cost. If you do go that route I would recommend picking up a cheap and light Thermarest pad that covers the floor area you aren't sleeping on so that claws don't mess with the integrity of the CF floor.

I have always wondered how the typical tent floor holds up to a dogs claws. It is doubtful I'll ever get to take our two monsters out on the AT, they are Jack Russels and live up to the breeds reputation for being high energy and loud barkers. I wouldn't subject other hikers to these guys, but maybe a few secluded overnights along the FT would be doable.

Franco
08-15-2016, 18:32
The TT Moment can work for a medium size dog if you shift the inner to one side (the floor slides to the position you want) but it would be too tight for a largish dog (I think...)
The SS1 has two very large vestibules (I can sit inside either) and you can also widen the floor to take a second 20" mat so that should be more than enough for a dog.
You should be able to see that in this photo of mine :
The Double Rainbow takes 2x25"x77" mats, no need for a photo with that one.
franco@tarptent

saltysack
08-16-2016, 07:43
I use the Solong6 with my jack russell often. There's plenty of room for me, my 60 lb son,and 20 lb Jack. I use a large xlite, my son and dog use cut down zlite ccf pads.....very versatile shelter @ around 2lbs....vestibule/awning are huge....I've had mine several years now worked great out west but mainly used on southern AT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
08-16-2016, 07:47
I have always wondered how the typical tent floor holds up to a dogs claws. It is doubtful I'll ever get to take our two monsters out on the AT, they are Jack Russels and live up to the breeds reputation for being high energy and loud barkers. I wouldn't subject other hikers to these guys, but maybe a few secluded overnights along the FT would be doable.

My crazy jack has been my hiking buddy since he was about 6 months old..now 4....he's flying out to Co to do the collegiate loop and Elbert with me next month......

r0wdy
08-16-2016, 08:19
how tall are you?

r0wdy
08-16-2016, 08:31
I don't know about the tall person thing but the SMD Lunar Solo fit me plus two 40lb dogs and my gear. I don't remember how the length was.

I have heard good things about the LHG SoLong for one person and a dog.

how tall are you? I heard people say the Lunar Solo can be short for taller people since the sides are angled.

Slo-go'en
08-16-2016, 08:51
how tall are you? I heard people say the Lunar Solo can be short for taller people since the sides are angled.

The length is fine, but when you sit up you'll rub your head against the wall. Not a problem unless there is condensation, which of course is often the case. The foot of my bag would often touch the wall because of the acute angle and sag when the fabric gets wet. There is a tie out to lift/pull out the sides a little, but there is often nothing to tie it off too.

There might be enough room for both you and the dog, but little else and the dog will end up on top of you. You really want a two person tent if you want any elbow room.

DuneElliot
08-16-2016, 09:15

Short...5'5"

r0wdy
08-16-2016, 09:23
Short...5'5"

The length is fine, but when you sit up you'll rub your head against the wall. Not a problem unless there is condensation, which of course is often the case. The foot of my bag would often touch the wall because of the acute angle and sag when the fabric gets wet. There is a tie out to lift/pull out the sides a little, but there is often nothing to tie it off too.

There might be enough room for both you and the dog, but little else and the dog will end up on top of you. You really want a two person tent if you want any elbow room.

I think I'll avoid the lunar solo then. It looks great and I like it a lot but I don't think it will work for my height. Solong 6 looks pretty good right now

saltysack
08-16-2016, 10:38
how tall are you?

I'm 5'11" @ 210...

cmoulder
08-16-2016, 10:48
+1 Duplex

My 65lb dog in the Duplex, and still plenty of space for gear and moving around.35895

Grunt
08-16-2016, 11:01
For what it's worth... I've been humpin the AT for the past 10 years have used two tents... a coleman exponent and a Golite ( out of business) Emogene two person. I wouldn't want to sleep with a dog in neither and they are probably the same if not larger that those listed above. Now... I say all this because there is another option....there is a company MY TRAIL COMPANY that is run by some(?) of the people from Golite... they offer similar (really the same) equipment that Golite had. That being said.... check out their 3 Person teepee tent... I just bought their Pyramid 4 which is really big for backpacking but when broken down and divided by two people.... we have a hotel room. After many years I don't know why more hikers are not using Teepee style tents... the room, especially the head room is just wonderful. Happy Trails.... grunt

r0wdy
08-16-2016, 11:20
+1 Duplex

My 65lb dog in the Duplex, and still plenty of space for gear and moving around.35895

Duplex looks great but it's a but pricey, I think it's out of my budget unfortunately

swisscross
08-16-2016, 12:35
My daughter and I also use the Solong 6 as a two person tent.
I am 5'-11"/220, she is 4'-4"/55 lbs.
I use a large pad, she uses a woman's specific pad.
Tight width wise but the extra length allows us to bring packs inside with us.

cmoulder
08-16-2016, 13:05
Duplex looks great but it's a but pricey, I think it's out of my budget unfortunately

True, they're not cheap... I winced when I bought mine and spent the next 8 weeks wondering if I did the right thing, lol. :)

Fortunately, after a fair amount of use, zero regrets.

Sarcasm the elf
08-16-2016, 13:37

It depends on the dog. I have never had a tent floor damaged by a dog walking, sleeping or bedding down on it, however I keep a close eye on my dogs and never leave them unattended in tent. If a dog were to "dig" inside a tent, I don't think that any nylon tent floor could stand a chance against it, likewise I have seen dogs damage bug netting on tents by either pawing at them or trying to push through them. One important thing I have learned by watching other people's mistakes is is that if you leave the tent, either take the dog with or leave the door open, tents are no match for a dog that wants to get out of them.

Engine
08-16-2016, 14:46
It depends on the dog. I have never had a tent floor damaged by a dog walking, sleeping or bedding down on it, however I keep a close eye on my dogs and never leave them unattended in tent. If a dog were to "dig" inside a tent, I don't think that any nylon tent floor could stand a chance against it, likewise I have seen dogs damage bug netting on tents by either pawing at them or trying to push through them. One important thing I have learned by watching other people's mistakes is is that if you leave the tent, either take the dog with or leave the door open, tents are no match for a dog that wants to get out of them.

Thanks for the advice, these guys are diggers and that may be a deal breaker. In regard to your last statement, even my laundry room door was no match for a dog who wanted out of there. :(

saltysack
08-16-2016, 16:22
Thanks for the advice, these guys are diggers and that may be a deal breaker. In regard to your last statement, even my laundry room door was no match for a dog who wanted out of there. :(

I never leave mine unattended in the tent and never had a problem. He is also a digger...I'm a hiker not a camper so by the time I'm setting up the tent he's inside ready for bed...he's usually asleep before my neoair is inflated. All zipped up in his bag till morning.

left52side
08-16-2016, 17:08
I will say as mentioned above I have the lightheart solo tent and it is plenty of room for me and my 50+ pound pooch.
I also have used A SMD scout tent that is only 125.00 and it is roughly the same as my lightheart tent but A bit heavier.
I have also used the lunar model tents from SMD and them have alot of room as well for me and my pooch.
My latest set up is the deshutes plus shelter and I love it for the room for me and the pooch, maybe \something to look at if it might be your thing.
I like this floorless shelter because A piece of polycryo or tyvek is easily and cheaply replaced if my said pooch desires to scratch or paw in the middle of the night and accidently punctures a hole in the sil nylon floor of the other models.
I honestly found that with the polycryo down it forms A bathtub floor and is similar to A regular tent floor.
Just another option to consider.
But the lunar solo as well as the SMD scout and the lightheart solo all have ample room for me gear and pooch comfortable.
Hope this helps.

cmoulder
08-16-2016, 18:16
I think I'll avoid the lunar solo then. It looks great and I like it a lot but I don't think it will work for my height. Solong 6 looks pretty good right now

Somebody just listed a very lightly used Solong6 for sale (https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/fs-lightheart-gear-solong-6/) over at BPL.

prodrigues
08-16-2016, 18:20
That was me, cmoulder. I slept in with my 5 year old (child, but probably the size of a big dog ;) )

Send me a PM if you have questions, r0wdy.
Pete

r0wdy
08-16-2016, 19:17
That was me, cmoulder. I slept in with my 5 year old (child, but probably the size of a big dog ;) )

Pete

PMs sent on both sites :)

r0wdy
08-16-2016, 19:28

Pete

do I need a BPL membership to buy it off you?

cmoulder
08-16-2016, 19:46

Pete

Ah, super!

AfterParty
08-16-2016, 23:08
I got a marmot starlight 2p and it fits me gear and a German shorthair well. 3.6 # with drop cloth footprint. I'm very pleased with it.

Blaze12
08-22-2016, 19:12
Light heart gear Solong, highly recommend it. Plenty of room for tall fellows, and wide eughnogh for a dog too.

Sent from mobile

JumpMaster Blaster
08-22-2016, 20:03
I have the TT Double Rainbow. Although I haven't overnighted with my 58# American Bulldog in it, I did have her lay down while I was in it and its enough room for both of us. I'm 5'10" by the way.

I think most one person tents big enough for a human and 50+ pounds of fur is going to end up being a two person tent.