PDA

View Full Version : Common flip options

gwb
08-16-2016, 07:47
I have searched around for information but have not found much about thru/flip hike options of the PCT. I've read about people skipping the Sierras due to snow and then going back to finish but that is not what I have in mind..

My biggest thing is not wanting to hike in a "bubble". I prefer solitude vs. groups and I like the idea of less impact by spreading out the usage of campsites/trail.

I have considered a Southbound hike but I'm not certain I could maintain the required pace.

Malto
08-16-2016, 13:15
Given your goals I would suggest starting late, behind 90% of the hikers then flipping north to the border when the snow clears out enough up north. (That would vary year to year.) in most years I would expect that you could flip from Tahoe to Canada and that allows you a more leisurely pace going south without getting shut out of the Sierra due to snow. there are other points to flip, but the key is the late start, that will allow you to avoid most of the people. By the time you catch up to them the pack will have thinned. Also keep in mind that you will see many more people hiking SoBo than north because you move through the entire pack vs. just a portion due to differential speed.

colorado_rob
08-16-2016, 13:32
Except for the JMT portion of the PCT, I'm a PCT rookie (but have done the entire AT), so take all this with a huge grain of NaCl....

Our plan is to actually start early, in late March, hike from Campo to Kennedy Meadows, then come home for a month (May), then depending on the snow, hit the trail north of Yosemite but as far south as possible, snow conditions alloying, heading north through the rest of No California then OR and WA to the northern terminus. We realize snow in June in northern California might be problematic, in which case, we'll just start north of wherever the snow ends, even nearly in Oregon if necessary.

Then after another 3-4 week break, we'll flip back to Kennedy and finish to where we started in northern California. Something like that.

Sounds convoluted, but the key is we need to be home in May, and again in late summer, plus we want to avoid the "crowds" (however modest said crowds would be) as much as possible.

gwb
08-18-2016, 07:09
Thank you. I will look at the mileage and logistics of Northbound to Tahoe and then getting to Canada and walking Southbound. Malto, when you say later than 90% what time frame would you think that is? And then what would I expect as a completion time frame, assuming an average pace and days off? Just starting to think about this and trying to sell myself and then my family on a somewhat specific plan.

Venchka
08-18-2016, 07:29
Thank you. I will look at the mileage and logistics of Northbound to Tahoe and then getting to Canada and walking Southbound. Malto, when you say later than 90% what time frame would you think that is? And then what would I expect as a completion time frame, assuming an average pace and days off? Just starting to think about this and trying to sell myself and then my family on a somewhat specific plan.
With the every year is different qualifier,
This year late May or early June is when the starter numbers dropped off.
https://www.pcta.org/discover-the-trail/permits/long-distance-permit-request/
Good luck.
Wayne