PDA

View Full Version : E.Mombasha/W.Mombasha NY Overnight parking? (also a Mass parking ? while we're at it)

linus72
08-16-2016, 13:18
Doing some sections through this area of southern NY. May need to overnight park at one of these spots but I have conflicting information in every source about where its allowed. The AWOL guide, AGG profile guide and the Official A.T map and guide. Some say its allowed at one Mombasha but not the other, and vice versa. These are all reputable sources so I'm kinda confounded. Anyone know the real deal? I have day parked at E.Mombasha and it seems to be a roomy area and no signs were posted about no overnight parking. But of course it would suck to get towed and find out there's no car when you finish your hike!

Along these same lines, similar situation at Homes Road in Sheffield Mass. Anyone know if they would allow overnight parking?

becfoot
08-17-2016, 00:05
I've only hiked over there for day hikes but it might make sense to call the NY-NJ Trail Conference or the local police or fire department. I believe that section is part of Tuxedo Park. This website might have someone you can contact. http://www.tpfyi.com/index.html

Berserker
08-17-2016, 12:33
I always check the parking situation using 2 resources. The AT parking website (http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/at_menu.aspx), and the official trail maps. Per the website overnight parking is not allowed at either road, you can check other sources to see if that is accurate.

linus72
08-19-2016, 09:44
yeah i check that site too but the date on one of the no overnight parking allowed at one of the spots i was asking about was last updated 2011 so wasn't sure it was still current. and the official at guide map has P (arking) symbols at e mombasha, w mombasha, lakes rd that are the same as 17a where i know you can overnight park. its confusing at best. that map is prob 10 years outdated too... i think the book says no overnight parking but the map makes it confusing cause it makes it look like you can at all of them. to be honest theres ample parking at those locations and they seem perfectly safe. being such an A.T. type community its hard to imagine in peak hiker season they'd come through and tow cars out of trail lots.

linus72
08-19-2016, 09:45
... i mean maybe if they were there several days or more.. but an overnight seems like overkill for them to do that.

Cosmo
08-19-2016, 19:19
Homes Rd probably OK for an overnight. No reported issues, but it's just a wide spot at the side of the road. Alternatively, you might want to use Rt 23, or Lake Buel Rd , both just a few miles north on the other side of East Mtn.

Cosmo

linus72
08-22-2016, 11:31
yeah Homes rd seemed like it would be a non-issue, at least for 1 night. Plenty of room and no signs posted stating otherwise. For this past weekend we just parked at 17a and got a cab back from E. Mombasha. Pricey, but not as much as a ticket or a tow! They should really put signage up at these crossings so people know what the latest rules are cause the AT parking site is great but some of the updates are years or more old.