PDA

View Full Version : south from Harpers ferry

cknight
08-17-2016, 15:08
I am hoping to do a southbound hike from Harpers Ferry through Shenandoah National Park. Will probably catch a ride to DC, take the train to Harpers Ferry and head south.
I have two questions, 1st, what issues will I have with the train ride with my cooking equipment, I use alcohol. 2nd, what is the process for entering the national park?

Gambit McCrae
08-17-2016, 15:25
1st, what issues will I have with the train ride with my cooking equipment, I use alcohol.
I am speaking off of an assumption as I have not caught the trail, BUT I would think it wouldn't be an issue as they for one see your a backpacker, and 2 I don't think that they search your luggage like they do in a n airport.

I would think that from a time, money and effort standpoint that you would be better off getting a shuttle from Rockfish gap up to HF. Stanimal in Waynesboro does a lot of shuttles.

a second shuttle option is mark "strings" he can be found along with others in my signiture

2nd, what is the process for entering the national park?
entering the park consists of filling out a permit, attaching it to your pack and possible putting "the pink layer" or whatever color it is in a box. No payment required. I t is a lot more laid back then GSMNP

Tuckahoe
08-17-2016, 19:52
This is Amtrak's page covering prohibited items -- https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1251621565025

It is clear what is permitted and what is not.

However, I have used Amtrak to get to Harpers Ferry and have never had an issue with my pack or gear.