PDA

View Full Version : Ride up to Monarch Pass from Salida

bamboo bob
08-18-2016, 06:28
My wife and I are going NOBO from Salida 9/3/16. Is there an angel or paid ride to get up to Monarch Pass or should I expect to use my old thumb which is how I got down from there last year ?

Like (https://www.facebook.com/groups/665306573602519/#)

Love

Haha

Wow

Sad

Angry

Comment (https://www.facebook.com/groups/665306573602519/#)I've posted this elsewher

MuddyWaters
08-18-2016, 09:25
The hostel used to take you back to trail in morning if stayed with them.

The monarch lodge is open again, and runs shuttles to/from town for their guests I think. It would be possible to be picked up by them, spend night, and hike out in morning.

Malto
08-18-2016, 18:06
I just recently did this hitch as well as picked up some hikers and took them to Monarch. I would consider that a very easy hitch especially if you can get to Poncha Springs.

saltysack
08-19-2016, 19:12
I plan to be hitching in on September 23 and out 24......hope it's easy as said....Rocky Mountain taxi will do but it's nearly $40 each way as last result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
08-19-2016, 19:14
Resort

saltysack
08-21-2016, 09:51
I just recently did this hitch as well as picked up some hikers and took them to Monarch. I would consider that a very easy hitch especially if you can get to Poncha Springs.

Didn't you do the loop? How was it? Headed there in few weeks....

LuckyMan
08-21-2016, 22:35
When I hiked the CT two years ago I checked at the visitor center and found out there was a Gunnison-bound bus from Denver that arrived in Salida in late afternoon and picked up passengers near the McDonald's. The fare to gunnison was I think $20 so I was charged $10 to go to monarch pass which is about halfway.

Malto
08-22-2016, 09:44
Didn't you do the loop? How was it? Headed there in few weeks....

We did the eastern part of the loop from Moanarch to Twin Lakes then my son decided three days was enough. We hitched back from Twin Lakes to Monarch and meandered around Colorado doing all kinds of cool hiking and rafting.

saltysack
08-22-2016, 10:53
We did the eastern part of the loop from Moanarch to Twin Lakes then my son decided three days was enough. We hitched back from Twin Lakes to Monarch and meandered around Colorado doing all kinds of cool hiking and rafting.

3 days around 84 miles...I bet he had enough! Glad it worked out...gotta love Co.