PDA

View Full Version : WTB SMD Deschutes CF

Cheyou
08-18-2016, 17:03
Only the CF . I have the other

thanks

left52side
08-18-2016, 19:32
I posted looking for the same shelter cheyou lol. I spoke with SMD and they said in there new run they are making A cuben version of the deshutes plus.
I am looking for really any cuben shelter that is shaped like the deshutes .

MuddyWaters
08-18-2016, 20:48
Like this?

Suggest to SMD on any new ones :

1) to use a waterproof zipper, Customers paying $330 will pay $10 more, trust me. The vestibule is 40% of the tent, people would like to use it.
2) tape all the holes they sew in the canopy with their huge ugly logo
3) fix the leak points at the elastic straps used for tieing back the flaps. Inserting into the sewn seam was retarded.
4) use zline for guylines, not the ridiculous slick spectra fishing line they supply.
5) a better internal system for installing inner net, large plastic mitten hooks are too stiff in cold weather

Once past those foibles, its a great shelter with tons of protection and storm worthiness @ 7.7 oz with a 0.74 cuben canopy, and that has a mating inner net that pitches taught and doesnt require extra stakes. The zpacks solo+ is slightly heavier (and taller) with .51 canopy, and requires extra stakes for inner. (But its ligher cuben floor inner wt offsets that )

the shape of the wild oasis, gatewood cape, lunar solo, deschutes, etc is all very similar. Its a pretty good wind shedding single pole design that pitches will with minimum stakes.

Cheyou
08-19-2016, 07:38
I posted looking for the same shelter cheyou lol. I spoke with SMD and they said in there new run they are making A cuben version of the deshutes plus.
I am looking for really any cuben shelter that is shaped like the deshutes .

when did SMD tell u that ?

thanks thom

Cheyou
08-19-2016, 07:42
Muddy do you have a pic of it in a stuff sack ? How muck bigger is it then a water bottle ?

Thanks

MuddyWaters
08-19-2016, 10:00
Muddy do you have a pic of it in a stuff sack ? How muck bigger is it then a water bottle ?

a little Bigger than 1L water bottle

Cheyou
08-19-2016, 13:48
Thanks .

Thom

left52side
08-19-2016, 14:21
when did SMD tell u that ?

thanks thom

I spoke with them about two months ago

Cheyou
08-19-2016, 14:29
I spoke with them about two months ago

I aint holding my breath ! Might just think about zpacks .

Thom

left52side
08-19-2016, 14:50
I aint holding my breath ! Might just think about zpacks .

Thom

I have been considering zpacks or bearpaw wilderness designs,I like that john at bpwd does the bug netting around the bottom like smd did with the deshutes plus and z packs doesnt offer that anymore :/...
either way they both look pretty nice.

MuddyWaters
08-19-2016, 15:02
I have been considering zpacks or bearpaw wilderness designs,I like that john at bpwd does the bug netting around the bottom like smd did with the deshutes plus and z packs doesnt offer that anymore :/...
either way they both look pretty nice.

I think John @ bearpaw will add mesh perimeter to a hexamid for you. He used to do lots of that type work. Unless he's gotten too busy and phased out custom modifications.

Cheyou
08-19-2016, 15:06
Wonder if Zimmerbuilt or Borah gear would make it ?

thom