PDA

View Full Version : Harpers Ferry Help

mmais68569
08-18-2016, 19:49
My wife & I are planning on going to Harpers Ferry for a 4 Labor Day vacation. I would like to take her up to Loudoun Heights overlook, but I know she will not be able to do that steep climb up from WV 32 Chestnut Hill Rd. Is there a way to get to the overlook coming in on the AT from the north side? She would have no problem with a 4-6 mi. round trip hike as long as it has no steep ups.
Thanks Mike (Mr. Mean)

Gambit McCrae
08-19-2016, 08:06
I do not remember anything scenic south of HF for a bit. Is there any particular reasoning for that spot? a nice walk on the C and O towpath and the quick jump up to Weaverton cliffs might be a better objective?

mmais68569
08-19-2016, 10:29
Not looking south looking for an easy way to get to the cliff overlook north of town.
Mike

johnnybgood
08-19-2016, 10:57
Not looking south looking for an easy way to get to the cliff overlook north of town.
Mike
I'm not aware of any easier way to getting there. Maybe the ATC can help you.

chknfngrs
08-19-2016, 11:04
Hiking south on the AT from Gapland Road/Gathland State Park is 5ish miles one way with no steep ups or downs brings you to Weverton Cliffs?!?!

JLorenzo77
08-20-2016, 09:40
Yeah, you could park around key's gap and head south. See attached. You could hike south until you see the orange blaze. From what I recall of that section, it's rolling and nothing too tough (coming south).

http://www.backpacker.com/trips/west-virginia/appalachian-trail-keys-gap-to-harpers-ferry/

JLorenzo77
08-20-2016, 09:41
I meant 'you could park around key's gap and head north.' And, 'You could hike north until you see the orange blaze...' Pardon my lack of coffee this morning. :)