PDA

View Full Version : Amacalola to Neels Gap

Zman
08-20-2016, 08:08
I Used to hike the trails in New Hampshire when I was younger. I noticed in the fall, when the leaves are off the trees, it was very hard to find the trails. With the trails at Amacalola Springs to Springer Mountain not being marked, with the trails be hard to find in October?

soumodeler
08-20-2016, 08:28
No. You can generally see the trail even when covered by leaves. If you have a doubt, look for a shallow depression in the leaves and that should be the trail.

MuddyWaters
08-20-2016, 09:03
It unnerves some for sure.
A lot of crisp leaves can obscure trail, and also make walking a bit trippy.
If you cant see the trail depression, you will likely see a corridor thru trees.
Most trail is sidehill as well. Few areas are flat on side of steep mountains , and clear of fallen logs, except the trail.

MtDoraDave
08-20-2016, 15:59
I took a picture of the trail during the end of leaf season. In the photo, you can't see the trail at all.
In person, it was only difficult at first - but then it was like Muddy said, you just sort of sense it without seeing it.
It's also hard to see under 6+ inches of snow ...

Elder
08-20-2016, 22:33
The approach trail from Amicalola Falls to Springer Mountain is blue blazed, and well travelled.

FatMan
08-21-2016, 06:52
The approach trail from Amicalola Falls to Springer Mountain is blue blazed, and well travelled.This is correct. Following the approach trail is as easy as the AT.

FreeGoldRush
08-21-2016, 10:34
This is correct. Following the approach trail is as easy as the AT.

Any guesses on what percentage of thru hikers or long section hikers also do the approach trail when starting? I have driven the FS road that gets you within .8 miles of the start. It just feels like cheating.

Just curious.

soumodeler
08-21-2016, 10:50
I would guess that 75% skip the approach trail. This is just from personal experience meeting people on the trail in GA.

Zman
08-24-2016, 12:02
I was looking at starting at Springer Mountain and going to Neels gap Labor Day weekend. I heard the water sources have dried up from Amacalola to Springer mountain. Is there a way to get into Springer Mountain with a vehicle? Also, can you leave your vehicle there for a few days? Or possibly, parking at Neels gap and getting a shuttle down to the Springer Mountain Trail?

FreeGoldRush
08-24-2016, 12:21
How crowded is this area between the end of sept and end of October? I'm looking at doing my first backpacking trip with my son around this time between springer and Neal's gap. How are the water sources currently?

JC13
08-24-2016, 14:35
I was looking at starting at Springer Mountain and going to Neels gap Labor Day weekend. I heard the water sources have dried up from Amacalola to Springer mountain. Is there a way to get into Springer Mountain with a vehicle? Also, can you leave your vehicle there for a few days? Or possibly, parking at Neels gap and getting a shuttle down to the Springer Mountain Trail?
All of the above work. We drove a mini-van up to Springer parking lot and left it for 10 days with no issue. Neels, I think you have to park down the road a bit from the actual crossing if you plan to leave it there.

I believe FatMan updated the other day that Stover Creek not shelter has water. Hawk Mountain and Gooch Mountain Shelters both have water. Lance Creek was still flowing, Slaughter was dry.

Uncle Joe
08-24-2016, 14:56
Yes you can't park at Neel Gap but the Byron Reese parking lot is about 1/4 mi down the road. On weekends it fills up quick, though.

Yes, you can drive to within .9mi of Springer Mnt to the Springer Mountain Trailhead. It's easier, and shorter, to do this from the West. From Ellijay, take 52 East towards Amicalola Falls and turn Left on Big Creek Rd. The road veers Left right at a Dollar General store. Make no turns and the road changes names to Doublehead Gap Road. Maybe 5-6mi in you'll see a church on the Left and a brown FS sign for Springer on the right. Turn right and make your way to the trailhead on your Left.

As for "cheating," considering the Approach Trail is a blue-blazed trail I don't consider it cheating. You cover every white blaze starting at Springer Mountain.

As for water, we've had afternoon storms all over the N.Ga mountains for a couple of weeks, albeit scattered. It's been consistent enough that most creeks should be fine.

FreeGoldRush
08-30-2016, 19:04
I Used to hike the trails in New Hampshire when I was younger. I noticed in the fall, when the leaves are off the trees, it was very hard to find the trails. With the trails at Amacalola Springs to Springer Mountain not being marked, with the trails be hard to find in October?

My 11 year old son and I want to do a single night in a few weeks somewhere between Amacalola and Neel's Gap. We will be tenting and not staying in a shelter. My wife will drop us off and pick us up. We comfortable hiking 8 miles or so each day. What would you recommend as the best start, camp, end locations?

Thanks!

Uncle Joe
08-30-2016, 23:38
There are paved roads for drop off and retrieval at Woody Gap, Neel Gap, Tesnatee /Hogpen (these are close together), Unicoi Gap, and Dick's Creek Gap. Woody to Neel would be only 10mi but woody to Hogpen would give you 17.5mi but has some serious climbing.

Hogpen to Unicoi is a nice hike. Maybe 14mi. You could camp at Chattahoochee Gap. Jacks Gap Trail comes in there. There's a spring and camping down a double track trail to the right.

soumodeler
08-31-2016, 14:50
Might look at Three Forks to Gooch or Woody Gap. Not too hard, and you get to see Long Creek Falls.

zachzz12
08-31-2016, 14:54
^^^ i did three forks to woody with my gf ( first time hiker) this weekend.

beautiful view from gooch - woody gap .

i second this recommendation

FreeGoldRush
08-31-2016, 15:02
^^^ i did three forks to woody with my gf ( first time hiker) this weekend.

beautiful view from gooch - woody gap .

i second this recommendation

Can you recommend the best tenting spot between Three Forks and Woody Gap? heading north from Three Forks it looks like the options are Hawk Mountain campsites and Devil's kitchen. The first is quite short. The second is exactly 10 miles of Three Forks, which is doable for us but will stress my 11 year old a bit based on past experience.

zachzz12
08-31-2016, 15:28
three forks would have been great to camp at and enjoy the creek....hawks mountain shelter was great ( we stayed here , water isn't great but exists)

gooch shelter had a pipe water source but we hiked on and camped at woody's ( no water )

best tenting spot : three forks> hawk mountain shelter > gooches shelter > woodys gap ....

all fine tenting spots... woodys doesn't have water

soumodeler
08-31-2016, 16:11
Can you recommend the best tenting spot between Three Forks and Woody Gap? heading north from Three Forks it looks like the options are Hawk Mountain campsites and Devil's kitchen. The first is quite short. The second is exactly 10 miles of Three Forks, which is doable for us but will stress my 11 year old a bit based on past experience.

There are great tent sites on top of both Justus and Sassafras mountains. That should be doable for day 1.

JC13
08-31-2016, 16:19
When we went through, Three Forks had a good number of car campers. Just something to be aware of. Great tent site at the top of Sassafras Mountain as well. Would be about a 7.2 mi hike from Three Forks. Justus Creek sites at 14.4 mi.

FreeGoldRush
08-31-2016, 18:20
When we went through, Three Forks had a good number of car campers. Just something to be aware of. Great tent site at the top of Sassafras Mountain as well. Would be about a 7.2 mi hike from Three Forks. Justus Creek sites at 14.4 mi.

Is it reasonable to expect to tent on the top of Sassafras on a Saturday night? How much space is there? If it is not available it looks like an additional 4 mile walk to Gooch Mountain Shelter. I guess that's kinda hard to answer. Sounds like we just have to plan for a longer walk if required.

JC13
08-31-2016, 19:13
When we went through, no one I was aware of tented there. Everyone pushed to Gooch Mountain Shelter. But it was a pretty decent sized area 3-4 tents could probably fit near the fire ring. Semi-bad picture of the area.

soumodeler
08-31-2016, 20:27
I think you will be able to find a spot on sassafras. As jc said, there are 3 or 4 tent sites and I doubt they would all be used. Most people stop at hawk shelter and then go to Gooch the next night.

Longboysfan
09-09-2016, 12:08
The approach trail from Amicalola Falls to Springer Mountain is blue blazed, and well travelled.

Just void the steps near the falls.