PDA

View Full Version : Connecticut Water Situation Rt 4 to Rt 7

pyroman53
08-20-2016, 11:47
Buddy of mine doing this section in a few days. He asked me to post this to see if we can update him on water sources. Any feedback?

la.lindsey
08-20-2016, 12:21
I'm not sure where RT 4 is, but I just did all of CT this week and thought water was pretty decent. I only carried a liter at a time after the first few miles (going SOBO) and didn't have any problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tiptoe
08-20-2016, 12:36
My granddaughter and I just hiked from Jug End to Sages Ravine. There is some water at Glen Brook shelter (just east of the trail crossing). Trail angels have put out maybe two dozen gallon jugs of drinking water at the picnic tables just south of there. No water at all at Race Brook Falls camping area. There is plenty of water at the stream just north of Laurel ? camping area and also at Sages Ravine, where we got off the trail via the Paradise Lane/Undermountain trails, but people told us that the streams are all dry between Sages and Salisbury on the AT.

pyroman53
08-20-2016, 13:59
I'm not sure where RT 4 is,

Bunker Hill area

BillyGr
08-21-2016, 14:46
I'm not sure where RT 4 is, but I just did all of CT this week and thought water was pretty decent. I only carried a liter at a time after the first few miles (going SOBO) and didn't have any problems.

Or perhaps easier, the crossing about 2 miles before you hit the very flat stretch along the river.

la.lindsey
08-21-2016, 14:58
Yeah, I still don't see a RT 4 on Guthooks, and there were a few flat stretches along the river, so I'm probably not going to remember exactly which road crossing you mean. Regardless, as long as you're (or your buddy is) doing more than 7 miles a day, I think you'll be fine. If you're only doing 7 miles a day, maybe carry a little more water, because the chance of running into more water is slimmer for you. Connecticut seemed to have more water than Massachusetts though, fwiw.

tiptoe
08-21-2016, 15:06
I think the Route 4 crossing is north of Silver Hill Campsite. The trail more or less parallels Route 7; I think you cross it just south of Falls Village, and again in Massachusetts between Great Barrington and Sheffield.

la.lindsey
08-21-2016, 15:41
Ah, I'm with you now. I know that there was water just north of Stewart hollow brook shelter, and there were at least two more good streams in the next 11 miles.

The remaining 8 ... I think there's water just at the Schaghticoke campsite, (I think I heard water, at least) and probably you cross more but I don't recall specifically. Guthooks seems to disagree with me about the campsite, but it was night and early when I went through there. I must have gotten water just north and that lasted me.

spektrum
08-22-2016, 10:43
I hiked from Falls Village up to Bear Mountain and didn't have too much trouble with water. Riga was dry but there was some at Ball Brook and Brassie Brook even thought it was a trickle. It was still moving though.