PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast ideas that only require boiling?

SoCal Mike
08-21-2016, 16:34
Anyone have some favorite breakfast recipes (or store bought packages) they like for breakfast that only require adding boiling water? I prefer ideas I can prep and dry at home, but if someone loves a particular item I can buy already made, I'd be interested in hearing about those, too.

I'm trying to expand my breakfast options for trips where I only boil water. My options typically include: oatmeal or polenta + nuts, PB, fruit. Or, I just have a cold breakfast and wash it down with hot coffee. So, I'm looking for a few more ideas to avoid burn out.

Michael

punchcard
08-21-2016, 19:42
-Skurka's cheesy mashed potatoes is amazing. Sounds gross but it's not. I add peas to mine.

-Bobs Red Mill Muesli is easy and good cold.

-Here's another that's ok:

Almond Date Couscous Breakfast Porridge Recipe
Ingredients:

1/2 cup plain instant couscous
1/2 cup powdered milk
1/4 cup finely slivered almonds
1/4 cup dried date bits
3 tablespoons light brown sugar or date sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 Cups of water

punchcard
08-21-2016, 19:43
Another website to try:
thrueat.com

The Thai coconut curry was incredible

Odd Man Out
08-21-2016, 19:58
No cook oatmeal is good. Quick oats, salt, brown sugar (or maple syrup), dried fruit, cinnamon can be pre mixed. Just add boiling water to whatever consistency you like. The texture is different than cooked oatmeal, but I like it. It doesn't set up like glue when it cools and is easy to clean up.

Venchka
08-21-2016, 20:10
Precooked bacon and sausage.
Breakfast is too easy to prepare with just boiling water. Or cold. Browse the hot cereal section of any supermarket. Or the bewildering array of breakfast bars and cookies.
Here's something I concocted for an upcoming trip with help here at WhiteBlaze:
1 serving portions of:
Carnation Breakfast Essentials
Nestle Whole milk NIDO
1 scoop Natures Plus Pea Protein
Instant coffee of choice
8 oz. cold or hot water
Dry weight per serving: 3 ounces
Calories: 365 Protein: 27 grams
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

OCDave
08-21-2016, 20:17
My favorite is Sunrise potatoes or Sunrise Spuds
Potato flakes, packaged crumbled bacon, instant whole milk powder, Cheese powder, butter buds and a few parsley flakes. Add hot water and you've got a hearty AM meal. Sorry I don't have proportions of ingredients readily available but, you can likely find a suitable formula with your Google-fu.

saltysack
08-21-2016, 22:18
I used to cook oatmeal in the morning and have hot coffee...now days I just premix the 2-instant breakfast packets with nido and 2-Mt Hagen or bustello instant coffee packs in my Gatorade bottle. Tastes great cold and packs well over 300 calories. Easy to pack up drink as I walk then an hour or two later eat a couple pop tarts and I'll good till lunch...yea it's empty cals but keeps me going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venchka
08-21-2016, 22:50
I used to cook oatmeal in the morning and have hot coffee...now days I just premix the 2-instant breakfast packets with nido and 2-Mt Hagen or bustello instant coffee packs in my Gatorade bottle. Tastes great cold and packs well over 300 calories. Easy to pack up drink as I walk then an hour or two later eat a couple pop tarts and I'll good till lunch...yea it's empty cals but keeps me going.

I couldn't find instant breakfast individual serving packages. I bought the bulk package and measure out each serving in a snack bag.
Wayne

Trailweaver
08-22-2016, 00:34
Unless you just have to have a "hot" breakfast, you might also enjoy a breakfast drink. Check out PackitGourmet's website. They have a large breakfast assortment - drinks & hot meals.

jjozgrunt
08-22-2016, 03:40
Unless you just have to have a "hot" breakfast, you might also enjoy a breakfast drink. Check out PackitGourmet's website. They have a large breakfast assortment - drinks & hot meals.
Love their Dinner Deluxe Scrambled eggs and Tex Mex taco filling. Both can be cooked in a bag or with a fry pan.

saltysack
08-22-2016, 05:53
I couldn't find instant breakfast individual serving packages. I bought the bulk package and measure out each serving in a snack bag.
Wayne

Wally World has them...

daddytwosticks
08-22-2016, 07:14
How about a no cook alternative? Don't even break out the stove in the morning. It makes for a quicker start. In my opinion, the early morning is the best time to be on the trail. :)

Venchka
08-22-2016, 09:39
Wally World has them...

I looked there. In more than 1 location. I'll try again. Thanks.

Wayne

Another Kevin
08-22-2016, 14:52
If I have a short-mileage day, so that I can take my time packing up while breakfast is cooking, I'll drop the simmer ring on my stove and make a few muffins. Use any just-add-water mix, and portion it out at home. Steam baking for 25 minutes is about right for most of the mixes. It doesn't take all that much fuel once the simmer ring is in place.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ke9tv/sets/72157644331682423/ shows how.

The last of the boiling water in the steamer can get dashed into freeze-dried berries and stirred up to make a fruit compote to spread on the muffins. As trail cooking goes, this is decadent. It certainly beats worshipping the patron saint of thru-hikers. (Little Debbie, of course.)

Otherwise, I do pretty much the same as everyone else - porridge, or muesli, or maybe a pastry bought in town the day before. I don't bring grits because I'm a damnYankee. Or maybe I'll go for "gross but effective" and have a peanut-butter-and-gorp burrito. (I better make a second cup of coffee with that one, or I'll feel gluey the rest of the day.)

I always at least boil water in the morning. If I can't have coffee, I'm not going.

SoCal Mike
08-22-2016, 15:21
-Skurka's cheesy mashed potatoes is amazing. Sounds gross but it's not. I add peas to mine.

-Bobs Red Mill Muesli is easy and good cold.

-Here's another that's ok:

Almond Date Couscous Breakfast Porridge Recipe
Ingredients:

1/2 cup plain instant couscous
1/2 cup powdered milk
1/4 cup finely slivered almonds
1/4 cup dried date bits
3 tablespoons light brown sugar or date sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 Cups of water

These both sound good. Thank you for the tips. When you say the Date Couscous Breakfast Porridge is "ok" do you mean you're not wild about it, that it's only ok? Or would you recommend this one?

SoCal Mike
08-22-2016, 15:22
Another website to try:
thrueat.com

The Thai coconut curry was incredible

I hadn't thought of Thai food for first thing in the morning. I'll check this out.

Michael

SoCal Mike
08-22-2016, 15:24
Love their Dinner Deluxe Scrambled eggs and Tex Mex taco filling. Both can be cooked in a bag or with a fry pan.

Thank you! I have heard a lot of good things about PackitGourmet. I might give them a try. I just usually make my own, but it would be nice to supplement some of my homemade stuff with some purchased items. Sometimes prepping takes too long and I just want to hit the trail without much thought into my meals.

Michael

SoCal Mike
08-22-2016, 15:29
If I have a short-mileage day, so that I can take my time packing up while breakfast is cooking, I'll drop the simmer ring on my stove and make a few muffins. Use any just-add-water mix, and portion it out at home. Steam baking for 25 minutes is about right for most of the mixes. It doesn't take all that much fuel once the simmer ring is in place.

The last of the boiling water in the steamer can get dashed into freeze-dried berries and stirred up to make a fruit compote to spread on the muffins. As trail cooking goes, this is decadent. It certainly beats worshipping the patron saint of thru-hikers. (Little Debbie, of course.)

Otherwise, I do pretty much the same as everyone else - porridge, or muesli, or maybe a pastry bought in town the day before. I don't bring grits because I'm a damnYankee. Or maybe I'll go for "gross but effective" and have a peanut-butter-and-gorp burrito. (I better make a second cup of coffee with that one, or I'll feel gluey the rest of the day.)

I always at least boil water in the morning. If I can't have coffee, I'm not going.

Ditto on the coffee and since I'm making coffee, I like having a hot breakfast instead of just an instant drink, but I wouldn't rule 'em out. I do enjoy steam and dry baking. When I go very light, though, I can't really bake items as my cooking pot is pretty small. I recently made a huge blueberry scone with my larger/heavier cook kit on my last trip and enjoyed that with peanut butter and honey. Now that was a good breakfast!

Michael

SoCal Mike
08-22-2016, 15:30
Thank you all for chiming in. If there are more ideas, please keep 'em coming!

Michael

RockDoc
08-22-2016, 15:34
Precooked bacon, hard boiled eggs, an avocado = real unprocessed food.

Save the boiling water for the coffee.

Generally we start hiking fasted and stop after a few hours to make coffee and eat a few things.

swisscross
08-22-2016, 16:06
If it cool enough to carry raw eggs. Beat eggs in ziploc, drop into water, cook, use water for coffee.

SoCal Mike
08-22-2016, 16:09
Precooked bacon, hard boiled eggs, an avocado = real unprocessed food.

Save the boiling water for the coffee.

Generally we start hiking fasted and stop after a few hours to make coffee and eat a few things.

I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere, but how long will the hardboiled eggs last, especially if temps were fairly high (high 70s and warmer)? A lot of my trips are in warm weather/desert areas that are cold at night but can be quite toasty during the days.

QiWiz
08-22-2016, 16:12
Just start with some kind of granola-type cereal that you like, add some nuts, add some dried fruit, and add powdered Nido whole milk to your breakfast baggie. Will make either a hot or cold cereal. With different fruits, nuts, and starting cereals you can get quite a few different flavors. Like almond cranberry; walnut blueberry, peanut banana, etc.

punchcard
08-22-2016, 16:50
I hadn't thought of Thai food for first thing in the morning. I'll check this out.

Michael

Sorry. Just a great website. They have some breakfasts. I'm not sure I'd go for Thai in the morning either :)

punchcard
08-22-2016, 16:54
These both sound good. Thank you for the tips. When you say the Date Couscous Breakfast Porridge is "ok" do you mean you're not wild about it, that it's only ok? Or would you recommend this one?

It tastes good. I probably just picked it too much and got tired of it.

As with anything. Try em at home first. The nice thing with this one is that it's so easy and simple. Switch out the fruit and nuts for variety.

OldGringo
08-22-2016, 23:05

The last of the boiling water in the steamer can get dashed into freeze-dried berries and stirred up to make a fruit compote to spread on the muffins. As trail cooking goes, this is decadent.

I'm gonna have to try "steam baking"... Have you ever tried replacing the water and plate with a piece of carbon felt? And actually dry bake the scones?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

daddytwosticks
08-23-2016, 07:13
I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere, but how long will the hardboiled eggs last, especially if temps were fairly high (high 70s and warmer)? A lot of my trips are in warm weather/desert areas that are cold at night but can be quite toasty during the days.

I've had hard boiled eggs last for a three day hike down here in the warm humid southeast. It was during a June hike. I wouldn't chance it much longer. Just my experience. :)

Venchka
08-23-2016, 10:10
Fresh, raw eggs last weeks on small sailboats in the tropics. Hard boiled in a pack for a few days? No brainier.
Wayne

eabyrd1506
08-23-2016, 13:15
Reposting - According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, you should discard any perishable foods, including hard-boiled eggs, that have been left at room temperature for longer than two hours. The two-hour guideline applies to eggs you have just cooked as well as chilled hard-boiled eggs taken out of your refrigerator. During the hot summer months, or any time the temperature exceeds 90 degrees Fahrenheit, throw out any perishable food left outside of refrigeration for more than one hour, FoodSafety.gov recommends.

eabyrd1506
08-23-2016, 13:16
Not that I believe everything the Govt tells me but I've fought the Big S before and it ain't fun - According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, you should discard any perishable foods, including hard-boiled eggs, that have been left at room temperature for longer than two hours. The two-hour guideline applies to eggs you have just cooked as well as chilled hard-boiled eggs taken out of your refrigerator. During the hot summer months, or any time the temperature exceeds 90 degrees Fahrenheit, throw out any perishable food left outside of refrigeration for more than one hour, FoodSafety.gov recommends.

KidA24
08-23-2016, 14:41
Just start with some kind of granola-type cereal that you like, add some nuts, add some dried fruit, and add powdered Nido whole milk to your breakfast baggie. Will make either a hot or cold cereal. With different fruits, nuts, and starting cereals you can get quite a few different flavors. Like almond cranberry; walnut blueberry, peanut banana, etc.

I concur. I even get the "protein" granola stuff (with chocolate flavor) because I enjoy it more :)

punchcard
08-23-2016, 15:02
I'm gonna have to try "steam baking"... Have you ever tried replacing the water and plate with a piece of carbon felt? And actually dry bake the scones?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've dry baked scones on carbon felt in a silicon mini baking pan. Works very well near a campfire. 'sticky fingers' scone mix on Amazon works great just add water.

Venchka
08-23-2016, 16:57
Ok, I retract the claim for hard boiled eggs as I can't prove it.
The claim for raw fresh eggs stands. There is sufficient proof from sailors over the decades to support the safe consumption of eggs at sea.
Wayne

Venchka
08-23-2016, 16:59
Ps: After cooking the eggs of course.
Wayne

Another Kevin
08-23-2016, 17:05

I used to dry bake all the time when I was into car camping - because a Dutch oven makes it a no-brainer.

I'm unreasonably nervous about heating my cookpot up to dry-baking temperatures. It might work, but I don't have experience with doing it.

I don't ordinarily carry an inner pan - just the metal spiral and disc. The foil muffin cups are disposable - I just put them in the freezer bag that held the batter. There's essentially no cleanup.

Also, a subtle advantage of steam-baking is that you never burn the baked goods.

swisscross
08-23-2016, 19:22
Reposting - According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, you should discard any perishable foods, including hard-boiled eggs, that have been left at room temperature for longer than two hours. The two-hour guideline applies to eggs you have just cooked as well as chilled hard-boiled eggs taken out of your refrigerator. During the hot summer months, or any time the temperature exceeds 90 degrees Fahrenheit, throw out any perishable food left outside of refrigeration for more than one hour, FoodSafety.gov recommends.

And yet during my construction days I use to take a turkey sandwitch with MAYO for lunch, left it in my car for hours in blazing hot summer Alabama days and never got sick.
Also took meat sandwiches or EGG salad sandwiches for lunch in middle and high school, left in locker with no ill effects.
One can be a slave to goverment over reach or die.

Sandy of PA
08-23-2016, 21:52
I have personally carried hard boiled eggs for 3 days in June in VA. I have had no problems with spoilage or illness. I can fit 6 eggs in my pot and get them hard boiled with 1 oz. of alcohol in a Starlyte burner. I stop carrying eggs if the temperature is sustained over 80 degrees. Best trail breakfast ever with a spam single on the side!

SoCal Mike
08-23-2016, 22:46
With all of this egg talk, I feel the need to re-watch Cool Hand Luke. I have done raw eggs but alway ate them the first morning out. Just didn't want to take a risk.

I am pretty interested in the hot muesli ideas and maybe some egg ideas on short and/or cooler trips.

Thanks, everyone.

I will throw out another one I have done but forgot about: Sweet Potatoes. Rehydrate with hot water, mix it up really good and then add some olive oil to thicken it up and add some more calories. You can add various items to that. Goes great with hot coffee in the morning.

Michael

Wise Old Owl
08-23-2016, 23:11

Ouch. perhaps you are quoting "restaurant quality standards" I don't know. Seriously the govt standard sucks eggs! why? there are NO fresh eggs to be had at a supermarket. why? REAL fresh eggs "laid yesterday" do not hard boil and separate very well. There is a trick to improve seperation. You can hard boil any egg from a supermarket.... not from a farm, As I have raised Chickens and Ducks as a teen I guess I know a little about putting food on the table... I have no problem stuffing 6 hard boiled eggs and sea salt with bagels and cream cheese, Jerky and string cheese in my pack and running down the AT.

Nevermind let's move on.

daddytwosticks
08-24-2016, 07:16

Makes one wonder how folks in the past survived without the nanny government "guidelines"...:)

eabyrd1506
08-24-2016, 09:00
And yet during my construction days I use to take a turkey sandwitch with MAYO for lunch, left it in my car for hours in blazing hot summer Alabama days and never got sick.
Also took meat sandwiches or EGG salad sandwiches for lunch in middle and high school, left in locker with no ill effects.
One can be a slave to goverment over reach or die.

Don't disagree, as I said I don't believe all they tell me and I've been known to grab a cold chicken leg off the counter even now when I go home to visit mom (Room Temp real fried chicken is just sooo good) but I've also fought the distress (which I think were due to deviled eggs in a picnic basket by Marsh Creek Lake) of rolling snake-eyes. Just sayin if I was trying to walk 2000+ miles that's not when I'd be rolling those dice

Deacon
08-24-2016, 11:24
Wayne

If you can't find the individual serving packets locally, Amazon has them, though you need to purchase three boxes of ten packets.

Venchka
08-24-2016, 23:44
If you can't find the individual serving packets locally, Amazon has them, though you need to purchase three boxes of ten packets.

Thanks. I found them. Right where they always were. Next to the bulk box. Smacks his head hard! Duh!
Wayne

Siestita
08-25-2016, 02:38
"Just start with some kind of granola-type cereal that you like, add some nuts, add some dried fruit, and add powdered Nido whole milk to your breakfast baggie. Will make either a hot or cold cereal. With different fruits, nuts, and starting cereals you can get quite a few different flavors. Like almond cranberry; walnut blueberry, peanut banana, etc." QWhiz

This is what I usually do, but with one difference--I first re-hydrate the dried fruit overnight. My dried fruit for one breakfast typically consists of a fistful of dried prunes, cranberries, apricots, cherries, or grapes (aka raisins). I use one quart/liter sized Gatoraide bottles as my water bottles. So, while fixing supper I put the next morning's dried fruit into a Gatoraide bottle along with a little water. The next morning I drink the resulting "juice" and eat the re-hydrated fruit with my cereal. It's good, but perhaps is an acquired taste. While I was growing up my mother would occasionally re-hydrate dried fruit at home.

JamesHenryTrotter
09-08-2016, 05:50
oats are always easy... add a little salt, turmeric, and powered honey = delicious and super light weight

Diamondlil
09-09-2016, 13:45
I dehydrate a lot of my own foods for the trail but I found this guy that freeze dries pretty much anything.
I put together these freeze dried ingredients for a great breakfast that only needs boiled water,
Eggs
Bacon
Ham
Onions
Celery
Mixed peppers
Mushrooms
and Hash Browns
Salt and pepper to taste.
Play around with the amounts at home till you get what you like.

https://www.facebook.com/Redwicks/

SWODaddy
09-09-2016, 15:18
Not that I believe everything the Govt tells me but I've fought the Big S before and it ain't fun - According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, you should discard any perishable foods, including hard-boiled eggs, that have been left at room temperature for longer than two hours. The two-hour guideline applies to eggs you have just cooked as well as chilled hard-boiled eggs taken out of your refrigerator. During the hot summer months, or any time the temperature exceeds 90 degrees Fahrenheit, throw out any perishable food left outside of refrigeration for more than one hour, FoodSafety.gov recommends.

While I appreciate that we have to be cautious with foodborn illness, the foodsafety.gov guidelines reek of lawyers and large gov't bureaucracy.

Many people have problems with French recipes that use eggs. The problem is that in France, they don't refrigerate eggs at all. The temperature difference screws everything up. Calling an egg unsafe after being left out for two hours is ridiculous IMO.