PDA

View Full Version : October/Nov section questions

Rightfoot
08-21-2016, 19:05
I have 4 weeks starting the last week of October for a section hike. I loved the Georgia mountains and have been considering starting at Springer and heading Nobo. I've also considered Damascus and heading 4 weeks Nobo. Any thoughts or suggestions? Should I expect to see water an issue in both locations? I am a cool sleeper. My Mountain Hardware 20 is closer to a 30 degree bag. Will that be adequate or I have a Marmot 0 degree I could use as a blanket. I am guessing one might be a little cool and the other overkill????

Thanks

daddytwosticks
08-22-2016, 07:23
I'd get a true 20 degree down sleeping bag and still carry a synthetic or down lightweight jacket to supplement. I also sleep cold. Maybe something like a Western Mountaineering bag? Great products from WM. Good luck. :)

saltysack
08-22-2016, 09:03
I would not take the degraded bag....I froze my tail off in Ga in a synthetic 30 deg bag that had been stored compressed long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bronk
08-22-2016, 09:58
Springer to Hot Springs or Erwin would be a good trip for your time frame.

Bronk
08-22-2016, 10:01
Reason I'm suggesting that is the smokies and Max Patch would make a more dramatic end to your hike...even the trail down into Hot Springs is neat. Then you could sit there in a hot tub for a couple of days.

saltysack
08-22-2016, 10:47
Not sure of you if your shuttling but mountain Harbour would be a safe place to park/end and would probably work with you on price of that long shuttle tide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk