PDA

View Full Version : Water availability in GA - Aug/Sep

CallMeetHike
08-22-2016, 00:02
I'm starting a one week section hike heading North from Springer next week & was hoping for some last minute tips/updates about the water availability right now. I will be finishing up around Unicoi Gap.

Trailweaver
08-22-2016, 00:19
If you get in touch with the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega they would most likely be able to tell you all you need to know.

Last Call
08-22-2016, 02:59
Plenty of water on the trail......

daddytwosticks
08-22-2016, 07:15
I'm also interested in any info. Probably going to be on the trail from Hogpen Gap to Unicoi over the Labor Day weekend. :)

FatMan
08-22-2016, 07:56
Plenty of water on the trail......Posts like this make this site dangerous. Water is a problem right now in GA. Currently there is no water at Black Gap Shelter, Springer, Stover Creek Shelter, Woody Gap, Jarrard Gap, Woods Hole Shelter, Slaughter Creek spring, etc.

Basically no water from Amicolola until Stover Creek (not shelter), Hawk Mtn Shelter to Justus Creek (always, but Ron Brown tries to keep water jugs at Cooper Gap),Gooch Gap to Lance Creek, Lance Creek to Neels Gap, Neels Gap to Low Gap Shelter. And I was speaking with Ron Brown a couple of days ago and he confirmed that it is ever worse the further north you go.

Yeah, we have had quite a bit of rain lately but that has little effect on springs. Our dry Winter and Spring pretty much will keep the springs dry well into the fall. All the creeks are running well due to the rain, but most water sources here in GA are springs and they are mostly dry.

Be prepared to carry a larger water supply than normal and check with all oncoming hikers for the next source. I keep pretty good first hand knowledge from Springer to Neels. Ron Brown is keeping a fairly updated water report on his Face Book page so you can check there for points further north.

jboggg
08-22-2016, 10:13
The piped spring at the Whitly Gap shelter was flowing strong last weekend (August 14th).

CallMeetHike
08-22-2016, 20:46
Posts like this make this site dangerous. Water is a problem right now in GA. Currently there is no water at Black Gap Shelter, Springer, Stover Creek Shelter, Woody Gap, Jarrard Gap, Woods Hole Shelter, Slaughter Creek spring, etc.

Basically no water from Amicolola until Stover Creek (not shelter), Hawk Mtn Shelter to Justus Creek (always, but Ron Brown tries to keep water jugs at Cooper Gap),Gooch Gap to Lance Creek, Lance Creek to Neels Gap, Neels Gap to Low Gap Shelter. And I was speaking with Ron Brown a couple of days ago and he confirmed that it is ever worse the further north you go.

Yeah, we have had quite a bit of rain lately but that has little effect on springs. Our dry Winter and Spring pretty much will keep the springs dry well into the fall. All the creeks are running well due to the rain, but most water sources here in GA are springs and they are mostly dry.

Be prepared to carry a larger water supply than normal and check with all oncoming hikers for the next source. I keep pretty good first hand knowledge from Springer to Neels. Ron Brown is keeping a fairly updated water report on his Face Book page so you can check there for points further north.

Thank you this is extremely helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CallMeetHike
08-22-2016, 21:35

Sorry for the double reply, just want to make sure I am understanding your post correctly. You are saying that Gooch, Lance, & Neels all do have water currently? I just checked out Ron Brown's page as well. Thank you!

FatMan
08-23-2016, 06:47
Sorry for the double reply, just want to make sure I am understanding your post correctly. You are saying that Gooch, Lance, & Neels all do have water currently? I just checked out Ron Brown's page as well. Thank you!That is correct. I would fill up at the Gooch Shelter instead of at Gooch Gap. The stream at Gooch Gap is quite a ways down hill and the piped spring at the shelter is running very well and need not be treated IMO. (I drink from it several times a week)

Enjoy your hike.

stir crazy
08-24-2016, 16:20
Great info. Was going to do an overnighter to Springer Mtn. on the approach trail on Monday. I guess I'll need to rethink that plan. I've been up there several times and the spring was always running. It has been a dry summer for N. Ga.

CallMeetHike
08-25-2016, 00:37
How many liters of water would you suggest having on you to make it to each place to refill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JC13
08-25-2016, 08:48
Water carried is going to depend on you personally, I normally drink a gallon plus everyday so on the trail it made it harder to keep up IMO. Some days I was going through 8+ litres. Mileage listed below in case you don't have a guide.

Stover Creek is ~ mile 2.7 if I recall.
Three Forks is mile 4.3. This was flowing very well when we came through in July.
Hawk Mtn. Shelter is 8.1.
Justus is 14.4.
Gooch Mtn. Shelter is 15.8.
Lance Creek is 24.3.
Neel Gap is 31.7.

Uncle Joe
08-25-2016, 09:25
I'm also interested in any info. Probably going to be on the trail from Hogpen Gap to Unicoi over the Labor Day weekend. :)

There's a creek at Low Gap Shelter that should have water. There's a creek between there and Chattahoochee gap that could be iffy. Chattahoochee Gap has a spring down the hill on the right which is the start of the Chattahoochee River but even in good years I've been told it's a low-flow. I camped there but didn't use the water source so I can't confirm but the 4 guys I was hiking with were concerned enough to literally fill 2 jugs at the creek before to avoid using it. Just before Blue Mtn Shelter is another spring on the left, literally right beside the trail. Given the situation with the springs right now, I'd say fill at creeks if possible.

Bubbabuzz
08-25-2016, 13:51
Thanks for the input. I was debating doing a solo from Springer to Neel Gap over Labor day weekend. I use the Guthooks Guide app but it's always great to have first hand reports from fellow hikers. May reschedule until the fall.

Zman
08-28-2016, 12:51
I am also looking for a solo hike Labor day weekend from Springer to Neels Gap. I must be interpreting Fatmans input wrong. NOt sure if he is saying there "is" or "is not" water behtween all of these two point destinations he listed. He does certainly seem knowledgeable about this part of the trail though.

JC13
08-28-2016, 18:24
I am also looking for a solo hike Labor day weekend from Springer to Neels Gap. I must be interpreting Fatmans input wrong. NOt sure if he is saying there "is" or "is not" water behtween all of these two point destinations he listed. He does certainly seem knowledgeable about this part of the trail though.The places he lists are the only places with water.

CharlieWhisky
10-08-2016, 18:16
Hi, I read your post from August and wondered if water conditions are still as bad. A friend and I will spend four days traveling south from Woody Gap on Oct 15.
Do you know if I can I depend on streams flowing?
Are any shelter supplies absolutely dependable?
I am considering caching water at various gaps on the route, Gooch,Cooper, High Tower, and the springer parking lot. In your opinion, is this necessary?
Thanks in advance,

chuck Wahlquist

LadyBugg
10-08-2016, 19:13
Hi, I read your post from August and wondered if water conditions are still as bad. A friend and I will spend four days traveling south from Woody Gap on Oct 15.
Do you know if I can I depend on streams flowing?
Are any shelter supplies absolutely dependable?
I am considering caching water at various gaps on the route, Gooch,Cooper, High Tower, and the springer parking lot. In your opinion, is this necessary?
Thanks in advance,

chuck Wahlquist

Hello! I just finished a section hike from Springer to Neels. Gooch shelter has water and Hawk Mtn shelter has water for sure. Ron's Shuttle is a good place for info regarding the water at the moment. Not sure if he's on this forum, but he updates on Facebook.
Since we headed north, we started with water and didn't need our cached water until Woody Gap. Hth.

FatMan
10-09-2016, 07:46
You will find water at:
Gooch Gap
Gooch Mtn Shelter
Blackwell Creek
Justus Creek
Hawk Mtn Shelter
Three Forks
Stover Creek

CharlieWhisky
10-10-2016, 07:27
Thanks a lot!

Maineiac64
10-10-2016, 22:03
Fatman, what about nobo from neels and also unicoi?

DralaHiker
10-15-2016, 20:33
Fatman, what about nobo from neels and also unicoi?

Jarrard Gap is a few miles west of Blood Mtn. At Jarrard Gap a gated gravel road crosses the AT. Follow the road to the north, downhill. In just over .25 mile see cabins on the left. A reliable creek is just behind the cabins. There is an approach trail nearby to springs that form the creek (if the spring at Woods Hole is dry, these springs would be dry, too), but the road is easy to spot in the dark. Lake Winfield Scott FS campground is about a mile further down the road.

Between Unicoi Gap and Tray Mtn. you'll pass through Indian Grave Gap where the AT crosses a gravel FS road. To the east, less than 100 feet from the AT crossing, is a gated gravel road going downhill. A reliable stream is about 250 yards down, called High Shoals Creek.

The whole souteast needs a really wet winter to recharge the groundwater!

Cheers,
Drala

10-K
10-16-2016, 07:40
I got back last Sunday from hiking Springer to Fontana and it's was manageable with on trail water sources - a lot of dry water sources but no where near a level that I'd consider dangerous. You just have to plan.

In actuality there were enough jugs of water at gaps and road crossings to provide water but I'd never rely on a water cache.

maptester
10-16-2016, 13:38
Just hiked from Hogpen Gap to Unicoi Gap (10/15/2016). Water is available in few spots, you just have to plan. Having a small cup to dip water out of the small puddles would be helpful.

Low Gap Shelter. The small stream in front of the shelter is flowing but the smaller one you step over to get to the shelter is dry.

There is a small trickle immediately pass Low Gap on the trail. This could easily dry up soon.

The next water is a few miles up the trail, probably coming off Horsetrough Mtn. It is flowing thru a culvert under the trail and is spilling out the other side. Easy fill up here.

Chattahoochee Gap spring is slowing flowing. Looks to be flowing from the original spring location--a cup to dip would help here. Also, fresh bear scat right next to the spring so be aware, the wildlife are seeking water too. Very steep trail down to the spring.
36582Bear scat is the dark blob in the middle. 36583Deepest water is the rock dead center.

Blue Mountain Shelter water. There were a few seeps on the way up Blue Mtn but barely had any flow. The water near the shelter (you pass it trail going NOBO before the shelter) is flowing slowly.

It seems that most people hiking pass Unicoi had arranged with one of the shuttle drivers to deliver water in jugs at Unicoi Gap since is appears the next good water is the spring at the Tray Mtn. Shelter. I would not let the lack of water keep you from hiking--the woods are beautiful and the trees are starting to change. Happy Trails.