PDA

View Full Version : How to get on the trail when the world seems against you?

Cedar1974
08-22-2016, 06:07
Sorry if this sounds like I am dumping but I really need some advice. I decided to try and start a gofundme to try and help raise funds for my thru hike. After over 6 months no one even donated a dollar so I ended the campaign. I basically said since no one seems to care I am ending the campaign, and my mother commented with "Good idea." like giving up on my dream of walking the AT in general was a good idea.

I don't know why my family is so against me going on the trail. Between my mom constantly telling me I never follow through with anything I want to do, and my aunt actively looking for people dying on the trail to try and scare me away from the idea, I feel like I'll never get anyone who will help me get on the trail. I'll admit the gofundme thing may not have been a good idea, but I have seen people do the same thing and raise money for lesser goals.

But the reason I am writing this is because I need some advice. how do I convince my family that I won't get eaten by a bear or wolves on the trail, or get lost and starve to death? I swear, they don't think I can take care of myself. I am turning 42 this Saturday, and I still feel trapped by my family. How do I get out of this trap?

jimmyjam
08-22-2016, 06:31
Here's an idea: get a job and save your money. You're 42 right?

4shot
08-22-2016, 06:40
LOL. Good post. I'm sure some will take it seriously.

Cedar1974
08-22-2016, 06:48
Here's an idea: get a job and save your money. You're 42 right?

IHA ve a job now, and am living hand to mouth. I deliver sandwiches for Jimmy John's. The best thing though is because of where my store is located I get a 10% discount at the local outfitter Alabama Outdoors.

Cedar1974
08-22-2016, 06:49
LOL. Good post. I'm sure some will take it seriously.

I hope so. My main concern is how to convince my family the AT is safe when all they can see are the horror stories that come out about it over Facebook.

daddytwosticks
08-22-2016, 07:11
Grow up. Get an education (if not already) or develop some skills. Get a decent job or career. Become a section hiker. Life sucks and you can't always do what you want. Deal with it and adapt. Sorry if this seems too bunt.

Cedar1974
08-22-2016, 07:24
Grow up. Get an education (if not already) or develop some skills. Get a decent job or career. Become a section hiker. Life sucks and you can't always do what you want. Deal with it and adapt. Sorry if this seems too bunt.

Thanks you Captain Obvious. My problem is letting my family understand the trail is safe so they will at least support my dream emotionally not financially. As for getting an education, I have tried, and it was too damn expensive. I may try again next year once I have proof of residency and my tuition will be less.

Offshore
08-22-2016, 07:58
I hope so. My main concern is how to convince my family the AT is safe when all they can see are the horror stories that come out about it over Facebook.

Show them the actual crime statistics. Look all over this site and you'll see threads citing data or perhaps look at the ATC site. Not to jump all over you, but perception of trail crime not the real issue here. It seems to be that you are using lack of money and family disapproval as easy excuses not to do this. At 41 its beyond the time to develop some independence and self confidence. If you really want to attempt a thru, then put on the big boy hiking pants and do it. Get any job instead of asking relatives and strangers for money; stop asking for permission that you don't need, and decide if you really want to do this. If you do, then go do it. It would be a good experience on a number of levels.

JC13
08-22-2016, 08:09
Not sure why you need their support, if it is something you want to do, do it.

ScareBear
08-22-2016, 08:10
42 and delivering Jimmy Johns....maybe your family thinks the 6 months on the AT would be better spent trying to further yourself and upgrade your job. But, I'm probably responding to a troll...

FreeGoldRush
08-22-2016, 08:17
Sorry if this sounds like I am dumping but I really need some advice. I decided to try and start a gofundme to try and help raise funds for my thru hike. After over 6 months no one even donated a dollar so I ended the campaign. I basically said since no one seems to care I am ending the campaign, and my mother commented with "Good idea." like giving up on my dream of walking the AT in general was a good idea.

I don't know why my family is so against me going on the trail. Between my mom constantly telling me I never follow through with anything I want to do, and my aunt actively looking for people dying on the trail to try and scare me away from the idea, I feel like I'll never get anyone who will help me get on the trail. I'll admit the gofundme thing may not have been a good idea, but I have seen people do the same thing and raise money for lesser goals.

But the reason I am writing this is because I need some advice. how do I convince my family that I won't get eaten by a bear or wolves on the trail, or get lost and starve to death? I swear, they don't think I can take care of myself. I am turning 42 this Saturday, and I still feel trapped by my family. How do I get out of this trap?

Why did you think that spending your limited time to get someone else to pay for your thru hike was a good idea? I have not done a thru hike yet, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that a proper work ethic will help your chance of success and enjoyment on the trail considerably. :)

Cedar1974
08-22-2016, 08:18
Show them the actual crime statistics. Look all over this site and you'll see threads citing data or perhaps look at the ATC site. Not to jump all over you, but perception of trail crime not the real issue here. It seems to be that you are using lack of money and family disapproval as easy excuses not to do this. At 41 its beyond the time to develop some independence and self confidence. If you really want to attempt a thru, then put on the big boy hiking pants and do it. Get any job instead of asking relatives and strangers for money; stop asking for permission that you don't need, and decide if you really want to do this. If you do, then go do it. It would be a good experience on a number of levels.

I'm not asking for money, not anymore. I have a job (though not the best one) and I am saving up my money. At this rate though I may be able to hit the trail in the next 10 years, but I am getting my gear as I have the money. And no I am not trying to use lack of funds or my family's disapproval as an excuse no to do this. While lack of funds is a real hurdle I need to jump, I want my family to at least support me emotionally on the trail. I have a good family life, but they just can't see me as anything but a failure to launch case. This is part of the reason I want to thru hike, to prove to myself I can do something and take care of myself.

Slo-go'en
08-22-2016, 08:18
I'm guessing you also live in your parents home, don't pay rent or help with chores. Maybe that's why they think you can't take care of yourself.

Cedar1974
08-22-2016, 08:22
42 and delivering Jimmy Johns....maybe your family thinks the 6 months on the AT would be better spent trying to further yourself and upgrade your job. But, I'm probably responding to a troll...

No, you are not responding to a troll, and I work for Jimmy John's because it is the only place that would hire me with a 6 year gap in my work history because I was taking care of my Grandmother until she passed away, then going to school to try and get a better job only to find out to get my Masters, I needed to pay through the nose even after over 9000 in student loans because I have a few credits from out of state from almost 20 years ago.

But on that note, i am at least able to save my tips up to get myself on the trail eventually, since my paycheck is all spent on food, insurance and gas.

Hikingjim
08-22-2016, 08:24
You have a 42 year track record that speaks louder than words.

The idea of a gofundme for a hike speaks to your sense of entitlement and reliance on others. A good hike will be good for you (or anyone!). Save a bit, start small

Cedar1974
08-22-2016, 08:26
No, I live with my aunt, because I was helping to take care of my Grandmother who was suffering with Dementia until she passed away in 2012. Then I went to school and Graduated in 2015, with an associates, but when I tried to continue my education to get a real job it cost too much at the time so I am saving up with the job I have now, paying the only bills I have, as well as covering my own gas and food. And yes I do chores around the house as well. Also it would have just been parent since my father died last year.

Cedar1974
08-22-2016, 08:29
You have a 42 year track record that speaks louder than words.

The idea of a gofundme for a hike speaks to your sense of entitlement and reliance on others. A good hike will be good for you (or anyone!). Save a bit, start small

OK, you have a point. But I never hear people saying things like this about others who start gofundme campaigns to say, pay for a vacation to Disney World because they just got out of the hospital and can't afford it on their own. I am saving now, and I'll be damned if I don't get on the trail before I hit 65.

Cedar1974
08-22-2016, 08:30

Because I love them, and don't want them to be afraid for me.

saltysack
08-22-2016, 09:07
You are a grown man at 42! Get off the tit! Get a second job etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grampie
08-22-2016, 09:10
You sound very immature for a 41 year old. This said, I'm wondering why you think a thru-hike would be of benefit to you? To have a successful thru-hike you must have a positive attitude and a sense of self-assurance. From reading your post, you just don't have it.

Starchild
08-22-2016, 09:21
Several things, but what you are asking is in the path of spiritual growth. It was similar to my AT thru in some ways.

You need not convince them that the trail is safe, you need to convince them that are not going to stop you from hiking it and living your life as you need to live it, as it is something you need to do. Not doing so would be a death sentence for you (death in a spiritual sense, basically not living the life you were meant to live).

You may in this to convince them that you are capable of this journey, in the sense that many people have done it (and not in the safety sense - again don't go there, don't let them control the conversation that way), but just make the point that even a blind person thru hiked it, and that the trail is very well traveled to the point that everything is laid out to walk.

You may also cut them off on the basis that they need to accept you for who you are, if they do not than they don't know you and you don't care to associate with people who don't accept you for who you are.

Add to this prayer if you can to the degree you can involve it. In this (and using a multi-faith view), you are a child of God, not your parents child, in that pray to God to allow you to go and to open that door and to provide. In this you may find a path to walk, support for you and who you really are, and doors flying open to allow you to go. In this last item, by following this path, I found a new friend, quite out of the blue, 5 months out from my thru hike that drove me down to GA, and picked me up from ME, her offer set the start date. I also got overwhelming support for my AT Thru from about 50 people who I emailed from the trail who sent money, care packages, and paid for stays (and had me stay over with them where practical). I found a overwhelming level of support for who I am and what I was doing, much opposite of my dad who tried to dissuade me (he now supports that I did it).

I also found overwhelming support on the trail.

Good luck

dudeijuststarted
08-22-2016, 09:28
To trolls and non-trolls alike in this person's situation: Please don't attempt a thru-hike. There is nothing in it for you.

Malto
08-22-2016, 09:33
1) Stop looking for everyone's approval. You are 41.
2) People looking to gofundme for vacations get universally ridiculed. There has been multiple threads here on just that subject.
3) You need x dollars to hike. Two Options: increase income or decrease expenses. Can't get a better job, get a second job. You are not entitled to a multi-month vacation just because you want it.

Sarcasm the elf
08-22-2016, 09:56
In regards to your question of how to stop your family's overactive imagination about dangers on the trail: Youtube is your friend. Carefully select a few hiker video blogs that show how safe and social (even crowded) the trail is during peak season and send them the links. Do make sure to stay away from the couple of popular youtube channels run by partiers/stoners, not that I'm judging them but they're not the videos that you want to show to your family.

Cedar1974
08-22-2016, 10:10
In regards to your question of how to stop your family's overactive imagination about dangers on the trail: Youtube is your friend. Carefully select a few hiker video blogs that show how safe and social (even crowded) the trail is during peak season and send them the links. Do make sure to stay away from the couple of popular youtube channels run by partiers/stoners, not that I'm judging them but they're not the videos that you want to show to your family.

Thank you for this idea. I follow several of the more respectable youtube hiker channels, and will send them links.

Cedar1974
08-22-2016, 10:20
Several things, but what you are asking is in the path of spiritual growth. It was similar to my AT thru in some ways.

(Cut for length)

I also found overwhelming support on the trail.

Good luck

Thanks, I needed to hear that kind of encouragement right now.

Cedar1974
08-22-2016, 10:21
To trolls and non-trolls alike in this person's situation: Please don't attempt a thru-hike. There is nothing in it for you.

REally? If that's so, why did you do it?

TJ aka Teej
08-22-2016, 10:27
The World is not against you.
Seriously dude, you're not that important.

rhjanes
08-22-2016, 10:31
What is this associates degree in? What I'm getting at is, I see a lot of people with degrees for "growth" when there is zero job market for those skills. I had an interesting conversation with our now-25 year old....she did NOT follow that path. Has a terrific talent, went to school to further it and has a great job that she loves (and they love her.....gave her over $10,000 in raises last year....they don't want to even think about loosing her artistic skills).
So on the family worry front. My wife and family also raised that up as major concerns when a year ago, I told them I was heading to Arkansas for a 40+ mile, multi-day hike.....ALONE this time. (I didn't plan/arrange for other hikers to be with me, as in all other hikes). But the prior hike before that, the guy I hiked with had a SPOT device. he said it was EXACTLY for what I had told him on the ride up. "My wife and family raise all stink about me going alone". I came back and researched and decided to get the Delorme InReach. I went this last June up on my trip, alone. My wife LOVED it! She got twice a day text, over the GPS from me. She could see exactly where I was on the InReach map. AND, she could text me back. No more 'I don't think you should go alone....".

illabelle
08-22-2016, 10:34
1) Stop looking for everyone's approval. You are 41.
2) People looking to gofundme for vacations get universally ridiculed. There has been multiple threads here on just that subject.
3) You need x dollars to hike. Two Options: increase income or decrease expenses. Can't get a better job, get a second job. You are not entitled to a multi-month vacation just because you want it.

^Well said.

Cedar,
1) agree
2) agree
3) agree, but don't set your heart on a thru-hike or "multi-month vacation." Go out this weekend and hike. Be a section-hiker, or weekend warrior. By the time you get it all together, you may be physically incapable of thru-hiking, or you may be tied down caring for someone else who needs you. We all had dreams when we were younger that just don't work out. Career, family, health, finances... Don't stop dreaming, but don't keep dreaming either. Wake up! Adjust to life as it is, not how you want it to be.

Your story reminds me of one of my brothers. He's approaching 60, but has never been fully independent. I'm sure your circumstances are different from his, so I won't pretend that I somehow have the formula for your life. I will say you don't need an education to make something of yourself. Look around you. You see something that needs to be done? Do it. Make yourself useful.

Cedar1974
08-22-2016, 10:34
The World is not against you.
Seriously dude, you're not that important.

Doesn't make it feel any less true though. Sorry, just in a bad mood today, and everyone telling me to get a life and a second job (which down here doesn't exist)doesn't really help. Heck I was lucky to find the first job.

Bronk
08-22-2016, 10:39
The thing is you don't convince them. You don't have to. You're an adult. Asking them to pay for it is another thing altogether, but you don't need their permission or approval. Just scrape the money together and go. End of discussion.

This topic comes up on here quite a bit. The bottom line is that in most cases you won't overcome the resistance of family or friends. You won't change their mind. The only question is are you strong willed and independent enough to live your own life or are you going to cave in to whatever your mommy tells you you're allowed to do for the rest of your life.

Odd Man Out
08-22-2016, 10:43
People's fear of hiking is not rational, so addressing it by rational means is probably not going to work. If it were that easy you would only have to point out that the death rate from all causes for AT Hikers each year is very low (impossible to get a firm number, but it is close to zero). In all of the AT states, there have been only 7 people killed by bears in the last 115 years (I believe that none were AT hikers). But in Alabama alone there there are more than 800 fatalities by automobile each year (particularly relevant for a delivery driver). Nation wide about 30 people are killed each year by falling furniture. More than that are accidentally shot by toddlers with a gun. By removing yourself from cars, furniture, and toddlers, your chance of accidental death drops significantly while hiking. Unfortunately most people suck at doing rational cost-benefit analyses. Your best bet is to take the advice offered above and just ignore what other people think (see Malto's #1).

Lnj
08-22-2016, 10:47
I'm not asking for money, not anymore. I have a job (though not the best one) and I am saving up my money. At this rate though I may be able to hit the trail in the next 10 years, but I am getting my gear as I have the money. And no I am not trying to use lack of funds or my family's disapproval as an excuse no to do this. While lack of funds is a real hurdle I need to jump, I want my family to at least support me emotionally on the trail. I have a good family life, but they just can't see me as anything but a failure to launch case. This is part of the reason I want to thru hike, to prove to myself I can do something and take care of myself.

Then just do it and earn their support versus begging for it. If you actually do it, and complete it, it will earn your family's respect, just because you did something hard and stuck to it, which is what they think you won't do. Best way to shut a negative mouth is to fill it with your success. Prove them wrong and accept that they have good reason to doubt you. Give them good reason to believe in you. BUT first... you have to believe in yourself. Your a grown man. Act like one. You need no one's permission to do anything that is legal.

Traffic Jam
08-22-2016, 10:47
Because I love them, and don't want them to be afraid for me.

Every family worries about their loved ones. Hike a lot and come back alive. Seriously, that's the best validation for your family that you're competent enough to be alone in the wilderness.

Sarcasm the elf
08-22-2016, 10:48
People's fear of hiking is not rational, so addressing it by rational means is probably not going to work. If it were that easy you would only have to point out that the death rate from all causes for AT Hikers each year is very low (impossible to get a firm number, but it is close to zero). In all of the AT states, there have been only 7 people killed by bears in the last 115 years (I believe that none were AT hikers). But in Alabama alone there there are more than 800 fatalities by automobile each year (particularly relevant for a delivery driver). Nation wide about 30 people are killed each year by falling furniture. More than that are accidentally shot by toddlers with a gun. By removing yourself from cars, furniture, and toddlers, your chance of accidental death drops significantly while hiking. Unfortunately most people suck at doing rational cost-benefit analyses. Your best bet is to take the advice offered above and just ignore what other people think (see Malto's #1).

Toddlers don't kill people with guns, that would be too quick and humane for their liking. They kill you slowly through stress, sleep deprivation and panic. Trust me... :eek:

gracebowen
08-22-2016, 10:52
Cedar,

Myself personlay im planning a hike too.

Wal-Mart has a pack for $65.
Im gonna make an Apex climashiels blanket for less than $100 and use a cheap blue tarp for shelter.

Oh I know ill get some flack over a walmart bag but ive read lots of journals where people paid for kelty and such bags. They didnt like them or they broke and they got new packs anyway.

My AT hike is gonna be one and done for a multimonth hike.

I understand the family thing too. Just tell them you love them but youre gonna go.

When you need new clothes try to buy non cotton so one you get used to wearing it and 2 you already have it. Thrift stores are great for clothes.

When food is on sale buy it and stock up. Try to get into the main mindset of if its not on sale I dont need it.

You may have to adjust your eating habits some but it will be worth it.

I support a family of 4 on 2400 a month and 1/3 of that pays the mortgage. Another 1/3 goes to fixed expenses.

Maybe not but I bet if you tried and looked you could find ways to cut back.

For additional income could you mow lawns or clean houses.

Even with no mower maybe you could use their mower. I have a mower and many times ive paid simeone to use it to mow my yard.

If there's a will theres a way. My thru hike will be on a budget but im used to that. A budget hike can still be a good and sucessful hike.

For everyone whos gonna say it anyways at any rate I will have a very nice section hike.

saltysack
08-22-2016, 11:47
Cedar,

Myself personlay im planning a hike too.

Im gonna make an Apex climashiels blanket for less than $100 and use a cheap blue tarp for shelter.

Oh I know ill get some flack over a walmart bag but ive read lots of journals where people paid for kelty and such bags. They didnt like them or they broke and they got new packs anyway.

My AT hike is gonna be one and done for a multimonth hike.

I understand the family thing too. Just tell them you love them but youre gonna go.

When you need new clothes try to buy non cotton so one you get used to wearing it and 2 you already have it. Thrift stores are great for clothes.

When food is on sale buy it and stock up. Try to get into the main mindset of if its not on sale I dont need it.

You may have to adjust your eating habits some but it will be worth it.

I support a family of 4 on 2400 a month and 1/3 of that pays the mortgage. Another 1/3 goes to fixed expenses.

Maybe not but I bet if you tried and looked you could find ways to cut back.

For additional income could you mow lawns or clean houses.

Even with no mower maybe you could use their mower. I have a mower and many times ive paid simeone to use it to mow my yard.

If there's a will theres a way. My thru hike will be on a budget but im used to that. A budget hike can still be a good and sucessful hike.

For everyone whos gonna say it anyways at any rate I will have a very nice section hike.

Nothing wrong with being frugal...keep an eye out for quality used gear rather than something that's not proven or comfortable...Wally world pack.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swisscross
08-22-2016, 11:51
I feel much sympathy for folks trying to make ends meet opposed to ones sucking the teat of our goverment.
If JJ is truely the only job you can find, good on you.
I am glad you canceled the GFM account. I see very little good from this type of begging.

Do your best, save as much as possible and hike as long as you can.

Odd Man Out
08-22-2016, 13:39
Toddlers don't kill people with guns, that would be too quick and humane for their liking. They kill you slowly through stress, sleep deprivation and panic. Trust me... :eek:

Yet another good reason to go hiking. ;-)

jefals
08-22-2016, 13:43
You're getting quite a bit of feedback here. it's what people experience when they read what you wrote. Some of it may sound negative, and the question is, what if anything are you going to do with it? Often, the natural thing is to get defensive, recite excuses, come up with rationalizations why these folks' perceptions of you are flawed.
But - there's a cliche - it's hard to see the picture when you're in the frame. if several people have told you the same thing, there might be something to it, and you can either listen, look at it, see if it might be true and something you'd like to work on changing - or, just ignore. I don't think anyone's trying to be "mean". They're giving you their honest feeling. Can you be open to it?
Families.
Some families are encouraging by nature. Their kids may aim for the stars from a young age. Some families aren't. They fill their kids' heads with limits: You're too short, you're too skinny, you're too fat, you're not smart enough. Whatever. Maybe it's because of their own failures or frustrations. In my case, I guess they wanted us all to be fat. I remember these great big ole steaks, all buttered up, and loaded potatoes. and we had to sit there till we ate the whole thing... "Clean Plate Club "!
But they made a mistake later on and sent me to military school, where I learned self discipline and most important, that my life was in my hands and my only limits were in my head.
Get experienced day hiking. Then do some backpacking - not too far from home. Out and back, one night trips. Then take a couple of 5 day trips. Then do a two week. You will gain confidence and knowledge, and your family should get comfortable. At least they won't be able to say you don't know what you're doing, when they see you've been slowly gaining experience. .

dudeijuststarted
08-22-2016, 14:01
I did it because my mind was ready. If you're real, and you're really 42 and starting gofundme accounts and are dependent on your family's approval, your mind is not ready. A big step would be moving out of your family's house, not a 2000+ mile journey that will drop you off in the same place you tried to run from.

capehiker
08-22-2016, 14:49
Cedar- at age 41 I was retiring after 23 years in the military. I stopped having to validate my decisions to my parents when I left for boot camp at age 18. Grow up! The whole world isn't against you so stop being the victim. Save $6,000 and then go hike. There are dozens of service industry workers who find a way to hike the trail. Tell your family to go pound sand, save the money, and then go hike. It's really not that hard.

RockDoc
08-22-2016, 15:49
Even fairly motivated people only have a 28% chance of finishing a thru of the AT.
I'm hearing somebody without experience doing a lot of dreaming.
The suggestion to get hiking experience is a good one. Get out there and stop navel gazing. Go for a day or a week before you decide to go for 6 mos.

futureatwalker
08-22-2016, 16:15
Hi Cedar,

One way of thinking of it is that the AT costs $30 a day to hike. (I don't want to defend this number; I'm sure someone somewhere can hike it for a buck a day. But let's just take this number as a starting point for the conversation.)

Every time you save $30, you've bought a day on the trail. So just start buying days.

Second point: stop asking permission to live. Quietly start putting your gear together, and going on training hikes. Ask for forgiveness once you have a photo of Katahdin. (And by then, you'll have convinced the doubters anyways.)

I wish you the best.

gracebowen
08-22-2016, 17:41
The Wal-Mart pack is ozark trails 45l. Attached rain cover. Adjustable torso length. I loaded it up with about 20 lbs and walked around for an hour. It wasnt full and it felt good. I just wished it had more pockets.

gracebowen
08-22-2016, 17:49
Yet another good reason to go hiking. ;-)

And if they fail as toddlers they try again as teenagers :).

gracebowen
08-22-2016, 17:50
Hey I meant to quote elf too.

soumodeler
08-22-2016, 18:01
Even fairly motivated people only have a 28% chance of finishing a thru of the AT.
I'm hearing somebody without experience doing a lot of dreaming.
The suggestion to get hiking experience is a good one. Get out there and stop navel gazing. Go for a day or a week before you decide to go for 6 mos.

I was wondering when someone would post this.

The odds are NOT in your favor for completing a thru hike, even when everything else falls into place. You do not seem to have any of the other things lined up, so it is that much harder for you. You could save up thousands of dollars for the trip, buy hundreds if not thousands more in gear, add in transportation to the trail and set off, only to be off the trail a week or a month later. It happens to way more people than you realize. I planned for 11 years, had all the gear, the time, the money, a job to come back to, supportive family and friends, etc, etc- and 18 days into my hike I was lying in a hospital bed with a major MRSA infection that took a 2 week stay and $65,000 in medical bills to get over.

My point is, while I applaud you for wanting to do this, it sounds like you would be better served in the long run by getting your life in better shape first, then worrying about a thru hiker later on. Section hiking is not a bad thing. You can do it without quitting your job, you can still go to school, take care of family, etc.

If you choose to go, I wish you the absolute best of luck.

Water Rat
08-22-2016, 20:06
Actions speak louder than words. If you truly want this thru-hike to happen you will work hard to make it happen.

Sometimes the only way to convince others you can do something is to just go out there and make it happen. Then hope that your family chooses to cheer you on. If you show them/prove to them (via actions) this is something you are truly serious about, then maybe they will come around. If not, you are not out anything - You will have accomplished your goal. Anything worth doing requires hard work.

My only suggestion is this - Start with small goals and work your way up to the larger goal. If you only have one goal at the very end it is easy to get discouraged by the amount of time it takes to meet your goal. However, if you set small goals along the way, Each goal met is a feeling of accomplishment. That just might improve your odds of success.

You had no job, so you got a job (one goal down!).
You got a job and you are saving money (two goals down), etc.
They really do add up. Think of each goal as a part of your hike... At the end, even if you have changed your mind about wanting to hike, you have shown yourself you have the ability to work toward something.

DavidNH
08-22-2016, 22:23
Cedar1974, as one who successfully through hiked the AT northbound in 2006 allow me to offer some unsolicited feedback. Let's say you complete the trail. Afterwards, people will be impressed but no one really cares. Your life will be right back where it was before your hike, or perhaps even a bit behind after you have to at some point re-employ yourself and that aint easy to give up the freedom you had on the trail.

But beyond that.. trying to raise funds (since you apparently are broke) via go fundme is silly. I mean you are asking folks to pony up the funds for your vacation/adventure. If you want to raise funds.. do it for a cause (against cancer, and such).

As for hazards of the trail.. people think of bear attacks or crazy nutsos with ax waiting to chop someone. That is highly unlikely to happen. Your biggest concerns in terms of danger will be blisters, falls, getting Lyme disease etc. All stuff you can avoid by being smart and cautious.

Your big challenge right now it seems is money. So as i see it you have two options moneywise:
1) find a hot rich girl who loves backpacking and will join you and pay your way and hers (and how likely is that??:-?)
2) Either find a better paying job or get a second job and stash some money away. I recommend having a good 5000$ saved for the trip (you might not use it all but you should have it). This is not a free 5-6 months. You go into towns, stay at hostels (even a hotel or two) go to grocery stores and eat at restaurants. yes you will hit the restaurants.. you will be so hungry.
Finally... ask your self how much do you really want to thru hike the AT? Perhaps another trail.. requiring maybe 1-2 months to hike might be more appropriate? You could hike the Vermont Long Trail in a month, the Colorado Trail in 1-2 months for instance. also.. what if it rains for days on end? that could get pretty miserable. Just asking you to do a reality check here!

-Rush-
08-23-2016, 05:56
1) find a hot rich girl who loves backpacking and will join you and pay your way and hers (and how likely is that??:-?)

This works, but ugly women have money too, so don't rule those out. You might even be a big hit with some larger women since you work at Jimmy Johns.

I don't even know what to say to this thread, which is why humor prevailed, but seriously.. If you don't have the means, the experience, or the support.. you might as well be obsessing over climbing Everest or scaling the Eiger. My advice is to quit obsessing over thru-hiking the AT and start planning some day and overnight adventures outdoors. Spending a few nights a month outside, on a mountain, with a campfire and your thoughts, can do wonders for the soul. It costs very little too if you've already got the basic gear.

Old_Man
08-23-2016, 10:29
I was in a similar situation Cedar. One of my money making schemes involved temporary seasonal work at National Parks. Most of these places provide room and board to their seasonal employees. They're always looking for custodial crews to work in the lodges. If you have retail/customer service experience you can work in the store or at one of the cafeterias. If you stay for the entire season there is usually a bonus added on to your final paycheck. They pay is not great but you're living in wild places, removed from the expenses of society, meeting cool people, and working towards a goal. If you're interested, check out the postings over on http://www.coolworks.com/

Berserker
08-23-2016, 12:05
Section hiking is not a bad thing. You can do it without quitting your job, you can still go to school, take care of family, etc.
Not only is section hiking not a bad thing, it's a really good thing. I don't get why so many come on WB and are obsessed with thru hiking...ok, I do get it but I think everyone knows what I mean. Thru hiking for those who haven't hiked much or at all is a dream and something to strive for, so I get that. The reality though is that if you are not a hiker or don't have much experience you need to realize hiking can become a grind. Heat, cold, rain, bugs, pain, etc. are all things you're gonna be dealing with day in and day out. So to the OP if this whole thing is really just about hiking, then just get out there and start doing some hikes.

full conditions
08-23-2016, 12:14
Soooo... maybe before saving up a ton of money to go hiking and spending a ton of money on gear to go hiking and arranging a bunch of time of to go hiking - it might be a good idea to find out if you like hiking. Perhaps a week-long trip on a trail near you would help you figure out whether its something you like - after all, you're signing up for a (roughly) five month excursion. For myself, I hiked the AT because I love hiking. Period. I wasnt looking to change my life or test myself (although it did both of those things) I just wanted to hike the AT. But before I took off on my thru hike, I did several multi-day hikes to be sure that it was something I really liked doing. I know that plenty of folks have done successful thru hikes without having walked further than from their parking spot to their office cubical but it aint something I would recommend. YMMV.

Just Bill
08-23-2016, 12:25
So- lets just take accidents- of which as a freaky fast sandwich slinger you would be more likely than average to die from on a day to day basis.
(136,053/365 days a year) is 372.75 deaths per day in the good ol USA from an accident.

While I don't have it off hand (you could show some initiative here) I would imagine that 372.72 deaths per DECADE is high even if you included every visitor to the Appalachian Trail of every type (day use, overnight, etc.)

Rough ballpark guess?... 100 thru-hikers have died on trail in the history of the trail if you included heart attack, stroke, etc. The total number of murders is surpassed almost daily in Chicago.

Much lower than the 117.18 people per day who commit suicide due to whatever reasons lead to this choice while living safe and productive lives in our fine society.

All that said- maybe best to pick a more realistic trail (shorter timespan off work and lower funds needed in the bank) given your current position in life overall.

Not that I want to get nasty- but if I wanted to fund someone's hike...
I'd have to say one of the 20 or more vets who commit suicide every day after serving this country would be real high on my list.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm
Number of deaths: 2,596,993
Death rate: 821.5 deaths per 100,000 population
Life expectancy: 78.8 years
Infant Mortality rate: 5.96 deaths per 1,000 live births
Source: Deaths: Final Data for 2013, tables 1, 7, 10, 20[PDF - 1.5 MB](http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr64/nvsr64_02.pdf)
Number of deaths for leading causes of death:

Heart disease: 614,348
Cancer: 591,699
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 147,101
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 136,053
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 133,103
Alzheimer's disease: 93,541
Diabetes: 76,488
Influenza and Pneumonia: 55,227
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis: 48,146
Intentional self-harm (suicide): 42,773

OkeefenokeeJoe
08-23-2016, 12:26
Please tell me, who filleted the backbone out of your back?

There are 24 hours in a day, 7 days in a week, why do you only have one job?

You are an able bodied man and should be working at least two, maybe three jobs. For any person with a reasonable work ethic, $6000 should be attainable in short order.

OkeefenokeeJoe

DLP
08-23-2016, 12:27
How do I convince my family that I won't get eaten by a bear or wolves on the trail, or get lost and starve to death? My advice is to start small with weekend and week long hikes. 1. Backpacking will just be something normal and routine that you do. The best way to convince people that hiking is safe and you are competent is to walk out of the woods a dozen times in one piece with fun stories. (Keep any scary stories, if/when you do get lost, to yourself).

2. A long weekend trip doesn't require a fundraiser. 😀

I haven't read others replies. But I have been there with nervous family members. Do enough short trips and return uneventfully home enough times... They don't even ask to see pictures anymore.

OCDave
08-23-2016, 12:31
...I don't know why my family is so against me going on the trail... how do I convince my family that I won't get eaten by a bear or wolves on the trail, or get lost and starve to death? I swear, they don't think I can take care of myself. ...

Cedar1974,

Have you considered that your family is right? No one knows you better than they. If they feel you might have difficultly caring for yourself on an extended trip, perhaps they have some basis for that belief.

Your posts on this thread suggest you lack some skills required to function as an independent adult. Perhaps if you could demonstrate to your family your ability to gain and keep employment which would provide a livable wage, they might have more confidence in your ability to survive the challenges of a long distance hike. Perhaps if you could fund your adventure with dollars earned rather than dollars donated, your family might recognize a strength of will in you that you have thus far failed to exhibit. Perhaps if you exhibited sound judgement in your daily routine for a period of time, for at least the same duration as your hike will be, your family might see in you the capability to survive your hike.

A parent is responsible for nurturing and supervising a child until that child is capable of facing the world independently. Perhaps you're just not there yet.

Good Luck

DLP
08-23-2016, 13:02
The ways that people die in the backcountry are:
1. Falls
2. Drowning
3. "Natural causes" ( heart attack, stroke, etc.)

Most of the people who die are day hikers. There is often an "This will be EPIC!!!!!" group mentally that is a factor. Like one person does something risky and/or dumb and the rest of the group join in.

Yosemite waterfalls take out several people a year. Not sure if these are officially falls or drownings. But there are often idiots taking photos out past signs that say, "Danger!! Stay away from the falls!!".

The most dangerous part of any uneventful or non-epic hike is driving to and from the trailhead.

But really, statistics won't convince your family. Just walk out of the woods 5, 10 or 20 times with boring, uneventful stories.

eabyrd1506
08-23-2016, 13:20

+1 - Your 42, given how you describe your job you've nothing to lose. Go for a walk and don't come back till you get to Maine

eabyrd1506
08-23-2016, 13:23
I stopped having to validate my decisions to my parents when I left for boot camp at age 18.

Gee, so did my now 19 year-old son. Proud as hell of his decision to serve and willing to treat him as an adult given the responsibility he's shouldered but my God his attitude sucks.

Sorry, needed to get that out

kayak karl
08-23-2016, 14:55
Get YOUR life together.......then maybe, maybe plan a hike.

scudder
08-23-2016, 22:23
Life is complicated sometimes. And no-one on this forum gets your situation like you do.
If you want to hike, you will find a way do it. You may have to downsize the goal from AT thru hike to something a little less ambitious. In any case, some practice seems like a good idea . A day, a weekend , or a week on the Pinhoti Trail might be a good place to start. A great way to test gear, and see if you enjoy the activity. And if you keep coming back alive, and happy for the experience, people who love you will see that.
If you are not truly trapped by family commitments , your food service experience is a job skill that is in demand many places . If I was you, I'd take a look at the webpage mentioned in post # 53. Look into ski resorts, park concessions,maintenance. Just a couple ideas, hope you find what you're looking for.

Wise Old Owl
08-23-2016, 22:53
Cedar Tree has been most likely chased off this thread. Some here were quick to judge others not so much. There is diversity here that was overlooked. Seriously - Cedar needs to get out there without judgement from us or his family and build better relationships with other hikers on the trail. My answer is "JHYOH" back when we were kids it was " Do your best"

4 pages in two days? Ouch.

I am not sure if this is relevant, But I have spent time with a good friend in the past with an educated "librarian" with a doctorate and regardless of the thread the "thought process appears to be the same" There is more to tell but it would not add to the thread.

MuddyWaters
08-24-2016, 06:41
Hiking is a vacation.

You earn vacations.

People who earned the time off and money to do it, will not have any sympathy for someone that doesnt want to do so, and wants to whine about why their case is special.

Greenlight
08-24-2016, 07:06
You convince your family that you won't get eaten or starve to death by actually hiking the trail, then coming back and saying, "tah daaaaah, I'm still alive." If you're 42, working at Jimmy John's and presumably living with your parents, you have already proven to them that you can't take care of yourself. The way to stop feeling trapped by your family is by getting a job that pays your bills and moving out of their house.

...how do I convince my family that I won't get eaten by a bear or wolves on the trail, or get lost and starve to death? I swear, they don't think I can take care of myself. I am turning 42 this Saturday, and I still feel trapped by my family. How do I get out of this trap?

BonBon
08-24-2016, 07:49
Since you are living with someone and have low expenses, just keep plugging that money away. If you are in fact a real person and this isn't just a post to rattle the cages of the resident grumpy bears, (which, frankly, it really sounds like) I admire you for taking care of your grandmother. So many walk away from aging family members because they are too busy being all the things others have suggested in this thread that you be. So now Grandma is gone and you are in a situation where you can save money. Sounds like you could add a second job to accumulate more money. Turn your relatives on to Trail Journals and let them follow the hike of a few out there this year. The journals will talk about all the people, the road crossings, the hostels and will put their minds at ease.
Not everybody in this world is cut out for the box everybody wants you to get into- the educated tax paying upwardly mobile over-scheduled american man/woman we should all become. Embrace your relative freedom-make the most of it- shake off the should (what you SHOULD do) -hike the trail. Then you will know if it is your panacea.

greenpete
08-24-2016, 11:52
"If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it." (Frank Zappa)

I honestly don't mean to be cruel here. I hope you actually do complete a thru hike. But you need to think for yourself, and do for yourself.

gpburdelljr
08-24-2016, 13:41
Hiking is a vacation.

You earn vacations.

People who earned the time off and money to do it, will not have any sympathy for someone that doesnt want to do so, and wants to whine about why their case is special.

You hit the nail on the head.

Runsalone
08-24-2016, 15:35
Guys I think were being taken for a ride here.

turtle fast
08-24-2016, 15:52
When it comes down to it, the best way to convince your family is to just do it...safely. Their real hang up is the fear of the unknown and if you learn the skills, educate yourself on the trail and hiking/camping techniques it may allieviate some of it. I think though that they will always have concerns until you actually do it.
Save your cash when you can, cut some of your expenses when possible like eating out or going to movies, etc. I'd also look into getting a side job for the days you are not working at Jimmy Johns...sooner vs later you'd earn enough to do what you wanted to.

Berserker
08-25-2016, 11:46
Guys I think were being taken for a ride here.
Yeah, but the ride is what makes these threads so entertaining to read and participate in.

Bronk
08-25-2016, 12:14
Cedar,

I walked 850 miles carrying a $10 fifty degree Walmart sleeping bag. And I left from Springer near the end of February. It snowed. It rained. It was cold. I was OK. I've often camped under a $10 blue tarp from Walmart as well. Nowadays I use the $30 Walmart tents because my dog tends to destroy tents. I made an alcohol stove with a pocket knife and a beer can just north of NOC and cooked with it for over 700 miles. You don't have to have expensive gear to hike.

Bronk
08-25-2016, 12:22
When you need new clothes try to buy non cotton so one you get used to wearing it and 2 you already have it. Walmart is also a great place to buy hiking clothes. Think a year or two ahead and buy at the end of the seasons. You can buy fleece shirts for $5 at the end of the winter and synthetic tshirts at the end of the summer for 2 or 3 dollars. Same for nylon shorts and jogging pants which are great for hiking also.

kayak karl
08-25-2016, 13:36
ain't anything new. he was giving advice 2 years ago on this very topic http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/106416-Parental-Concerns?p=1915606#post1915606

gracebowen
08-25-2016, 14:14
Thx Bronk I might just buy a Wal-Mart bag after all. They are small and light. Plus im leaving in April for a HF head start north to khadin. Return to HF and finish sobo.

gracebowen
08-25-2016, 14:15
Khatadin, stupid small cell screen.

gpburdelljr
08-25-2016, 16:56
Khatadin, stupid small cell screen.
Still missed. Katahdin

Runsalone
08-25-2016, 20:11
ain't anything new. he was giving advice 2 years ago on this very topic http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/106416-Parental-Concerns?p=1915606#post1915606

Oh good lord. Lol thats funny right there.

Berserker
08-26-2016, 10:18
Ha ha ha...nice sleuthing. So it appears the OP already has this covered and is maybe just testing us to see if we give sound advice. :-?

So did we pass the test?

Gambit McCrae
08-26-2016, 11:29
Popcorn is popped, the show is playing and I am late!!!

Cedar if you fund my hike, I will fund yours. Ive made 45 trips, driven over 27000 miles and kept a full time job while doing so in the past 2.5 years. Nobody has come knocking on my door wanting to "fund" me.

This thought process of "I deserve for others to pay for my vacation" is so outrageous selfish and liberalistic that is destroys the original idea of the trail, to bring people closer together for the betterment of the community. It is one thing to give someone a pasta side because they are short a meal. It is another to expect a free ride to walk in the woods for 6 months.

42 and a delivery man living with aunty doesn't exactly sound like a award winning portfolio. Go save a bus full of children, create world peace, cure cancer, then Ill fund your damn hike. Until then, better yourself before you look for extracurricular activities as extensive as becoming unemployed even further then you already are to then become homeless and hunker in wooden boxes with strangers in the woods.

Here is what concerns me as I am using you as a sample of society in America today...A 28 year old is having to explain to a 42 yo why this isn't even in the realm of what you should be focusing on in this stage of your life.
You are 1 pizza box and an action figure away from starring in 40 year old virgin II... Not. Kartl Metzer....

Best of luck to ya!

ScareBear
09-09-2016, 10:05
No, you are not responding to a troll, and I work for Jimmy John's because it is the only place that would hire me with a 6 year gap in my work history because I was taking care of my Grandmother until she passed away, then going to school to try and get a better job only to find out to get my Masters, I needed to pay through the nose even after over 9000 in student loans because I have a few credits from out of state from almost 20 years ago.

But on that note, i am at least able to save my tips up to get myself on the trail eventually, since my paycheck is all spent on food, insurance and gas.

Sorry that your family isn't supporting your efforts, but have you tried looking at your life through their eyes? 42, college graduate, Jimmy John's delivery driver, living at home with relatives/parents. Barring any current injury or illness, I don't accept the excuse of a 6 year gap in employment as any reason for not pursuing a better job. Do you think Jimmy John's is filling in your resume gap? I think your people may see your inability to progress and succeed in day-to-day life as an obstacle to your successful completion of an AT thru hike. YMMV. JMHO.

Don H
09-09-2016, 10:41
Apparently Cedar1974 is not responding although he did recently post in another thread, too bad since some people have some good advice. Feedback is a gift, even if you don't like it.

Dogwood
09-09-2016, 11:44
Convincing through overall safety stats and of solo female thru hiker accounts is a good way to convince your family the safety of the AT IN AND OF ITSELF. http://www.backpacker.com/skills/beginner/wilderness-threats/7-tips-from-female-solo-hikers/. I like offering to my family how more insecure/unsafe it is every time we get behind the wheel of a motor vehicle risking life and limb yet when prepared and alert the risk goes down. This meshes nicely with the second admonishment of advice.

Consider taking either the Backpacker Thru-Hiking 1012 Online Course or Warren Doyle's Appalachian Trail Institute's Class. IGNORE the WB naysayers. Sometimes we assume we know more than we do. Either of these classes will help you to not only complete an AT hike but prepare for one including addressing trail budget/money raising issues. Either of these classes will fast track you to being ready for an AT hike!

http://www.backpacker.com/skills/beginner/pre-trip-planning-beginner/thru-hiking-101-online-course/

http://www.warrendoyle.com/ati/

Once you finish either of the classes you'll not only be more solid to hike but can point out that you can/DO indeed finish what you start to your family!

Next, go on pre AT hike multi night backpacking trips. The world is not against you and even if it was, so what! So what. If you don't mentally get over "the world is against me mindset" you're not mentally fit for a long AT hike.

Maydog
09-10-2016, 05:55
Go do some weekend backpacking trips first. You don't need as much money or expensive gear. You will enjoy yourself and your family will probably get more comfortable with the idea of you doing longer hikes. plus, you need some experience before you strike out on a very tough (but doable) journey. If you aren't currently hiking 5 miles in hills with a 25lb pack, get used to that. Then go 10, then 15. Then start thinking about going 15'ish miles per day for 5 or 6 months straight. Baby steps!

Don't focus on past failures or on current circumstances. Set yourself some achievable goals and go achieve them. You spent 6 years caring for your grandmother. Not many people will do that, and I respect that. That is a worthy accomplishment. Anyone that says otherwise is either not thinking clearly, or they are unable to put other's needs ahead of their own. You may not be where you'd like to be at 42, but 45 can look very different and 50 can look even differenter:).

Cedar1974
09-10-2016, 09:31
... If you aren't currently hiking 5 miles in hills with a 25lb pack, get used to that. Then go 10, then 15. Then start thinking about going 15'ish miles per day for 5 or 6 months straight. Baby steps! ...

See, here is the biggest problem with living on the Gulf Coast. There are no hills within 100 miles of where I live. As for the weekend hiking, I may start doing that once things start to settle down here.

To answer some of the others, this original post was written by me on a very bad day. I was feeling depressed, and my family was dumping on me that morning about the trail. Things have gotten better for me here and I haven't given up, I'll just have to wait a few more years instead of going next year with the person I was originally going to hike with. Might be better off, since she basically wants to hit the trail to escape her mother.

In other news, I found out that because of where I work, I get a discount at the Local Outfitter who's store is just a few doors down from where I work. I am also considering to apply for a job at the Outfitter, and they may even encourage my thru hike as good experience for the job for all I know.

Dogwood
09-10-2016, 11:09
You have this thinking that pictures this ideal scenario of things. When that picture isn't provided in real life as you believe your thinking can get increasingly negative with more and more complaints and not being appreciative of the resources you have to help solve the problem leading to a problem oriented mindset than solution oriented mindset. Don't magnify the problem. Know the problem/issue/challenge for what it is, just another thing that will be overcome, BUT DON'T GET PERMANENTLY STUCK THERE IN THE PROBLEM/ISSUE/CHALLENGE WHICH IS WHAT YOU'RE DOING. THINK about what you have to work with from a positive frame of mind. Yes, I see the Gulf Coast is flat. But I don't let what I see in that picture stop me. I don't stop at that picture. OK the Gulf Coast is flat elevation wise but mistakenly assuming you can't hike or prepare for hiking at the AT's elevation is pure rubbish. OK, you've identified some issues, challenges, etc but don't let your thinking get stuck there!

Living on the Gulf Coast is not a problem because there are no hills. I know. I once lived in pancake Tampa and Ft Myers preparing for hikes. It's been discussed here on WB before. You do NOT need to be in wilderness or at 3ooo ft elevations to gain hiking strength for the AT!!!!!!! I would walk the soft sand beaches, high arching bridges with a pedestrian walkway, and wade in the gulf up to waist deep water parallel to the shoreline wearing a loaded backpack. You have water all around you. Hiking in water even if it's just a pool especially wearing a pack will make you more prepared for the hikes! Wading in shallow water in a pool or the Gulf wearing ankle weights can be a good workout that translates to greater hiking strength. I would walk stadium steps at U. of S. Fla or Tampa Stadium or the steps at Tampa Int AP or along the paved waterfront and through and up steps at Tampa University. I would walk to the grocery store and back with my groceries in a backpack. I would walk across the U. of S. Fl campus and back home. I would walk through the then USF Botanical garden. I would and still do walk curbs and vacant parking lot roadway/parking space painted lines and a unused railroad track balancing on one rail. I did all this in the favorable yr round weather of FL just as there is in Alabama. To this day as a result of doing all that backpacking/walking in the heat and humidity of Florida I'm a far better high heat high humidity backpacker.

I sincerely hope this is rubbing off.

pickNgrin
09-10-2016, 11:23
Cedar - there are a lot of great do-it-yourself (DIY) ideas on youtube and elsewhere. You can make a good bit of gear yourself and save a bundle. For instance, you can make a complete lightweight cook kit including a stove for just a few bucks using cans and other easy to get materials. A lot of lightweight hikers actually prefer these to expensive store bought alternatives. Do some searching. If you have access to a sewing machine, you can make quilts, a camping hammock, and a tarp for much cheaper than buying commercial gear. There are good DIY ideas on https://hammockforums.net. Good luck.

rickb
09-10-2016, 11:34
... wade in the gulf up to waist deep water parallel to the shoreline wearing a loaded backpack. You have water all around you. Hiking in water even if it's just a pool especially wearing a pack will make you more prepared for the hikes! Wading in shallow water in a pool or the Gulf wearing ankle weights can be a good workout that translates to greater hiking strength.

Yikes..

That is probably some of the worst advise ever on Whiteblaze.

I wish you well.

At the risk of giving my own bad advise (but surely not so bad as that) I would recommend you work hard to find some outdoor activities that might fill your soul if you give them a chance -- whether they it is just watching Pelicans fish before start your shift, joining an adult soccer league, working up to the challenge of running a 5k, learning the stars after you end your shift, or whatever. Our options are wide open-- but not always so easy to see.

The AT will be waiting for you-- it's a great goal to work towards.

Maydog
09-10-2016, 11:48
All good advice. I might also add: If a stadium isn't available or nearby, find a tall building and walk the stairs up and down with a loaded backpack. In my opinion, stairs are much harder than hills. If you get used to stairs, hills shouldn't be a problem. If you really want to do this, you will find a way. A friend of mine used to ask people, "I know you want to, but do you want to bad enough to do something different?"

I would walk stadium steps at U. of S. Fla or Tampa Stadium or the steps at Tampa Int AP or along the paved waterfront and through and up steps at Tampa University. I would walk to the grocery store and back with my groceries in a backpack. I would walk across the U. of S. Fl campus and back home. I would walk through the then USF Botanical garden. I would and still do walk curbs and vacant parking lot roadway/parking space painted lines and a unused railroad track balancing on one rail. I did all this in the favorable yr round weather of FL just as there is in Alabama. To this day as a result of doing all that backpacking/walking in the heat and humidity of Florida I'm a far better high heat high humidity backpacker.

Dogwood
09-10-2016, 13:09
Yikes..

That is probably some of the worst advise ever on Whiteblaze.

Really Rick? Interesting, especially since you don't even know how to spell the word advice much less offer it regarding water work outs. And, from what level of personal experience do you say that? Have you waded in the Gulf? What experience do you have working out in water? water aerobics? resistance training in water? with the term aqua fit? with crossover benefits from water workouts that translate into backpacking?

I guess you know better than the large chains of Fitness Clubs, professional Sports Trainers, Olympic athletes, Rehab Physiologists, Fitness Trainers, Aquatic Professionals, Swimmers, Polo Players, Olympic Water Dancers, Divers, etc or those employing Physical Fitness Trainers, Exercise Physiologists, Rehabilitation Instructors, M.D's, Psychiatrist's/Mental Conditioning Coaches, Personal Trainers, Olympic Athlete Trainers???

Better tell all these people they are offering bad advice too:

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/express/20-minute/20-minute-water-workout/

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20692113,00.html

http://www.humankinetics.com/excerpts/excerpts/benefits-of-water-during-exercise

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2012/10/benefits-of-water-based-exercise/

http://hydroco.com/hydroco-benefits-of-water.html

http://www.healthfitnessrevolution.com/top-10-health-benefits-water-aerobics/

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2016/02/19/benefits-water-exercises.aspx

http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swimming/health_benefits_water_exercise.html

http://www.core-condition.com/core-exercises/are-pool-workouts-productive-the-benefits-of-resistance-training-in-water/

http://www.besthealthmag.ca/best-you/fitness/7-reasons-to-try-aquafit/

rickb
09-11-2016, 09:48
Really Rick? Interesting, especially since you don't even know how to spell the word advice much less offer it regarding water work outs. And, from what level of personal experience do you say that?

Wading waste deep in the ocean with a fully loded backpack is simply not a good way to prepair for a threw hike.

One need not have the kind of experiense ewe seem to be looking for to make such an observation-- though I did a threw hike a long time ago, and have waited waste deep in the ocean with a backpack of sorts (BC and tank) a bit moor recently.

But all that hardly matters-- common cents is all you need.

An excersize program should be effective, sustainable, appropriate to the objective, possibly fun, and pose little risk to self and gear.

But I suspect you know all that.

egilbe
09-11-2016, 10:11
Really Rick? Interesting, especially since you don't even know how to spell the word advice much less offer it regarding water work outs. And, from what level of personal experience do you say that? Have you waded in the Gulf? What experience do you have working out in water? water aerobics? resistance training in water? with the term aqua fit? with crossover benefits from water workouts that translate into backpacking?

I guess you know better than the large chains of Fitness Clubs, professional Sports Trainers, Olympic athletes, Rehab Physiologists, Fitness Trainers, Aquatic Professionals, Swimmers, Polo Players, Olympic Water Dancers, Divers, etc or those employing Physical Fitness Trainers, Exercise Physiologists, Rehabilitation Instructors, M.D's, Psychiatrist's/Mental Conditioning Coaches, Personal Trainers, Olympic Athlete Trainers???

Better tell all these people they are offering bad advice too:

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/express/20-minute/20-minute-water-workout/

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20692113,00.html

http://www.humankinetics.com/excerpts/excerpts/benefits-of-water-during-exercise

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2012/10/benefits-of-water-based-exercise/

http://hydroco.com/hydroco-benefits-of-water.html

http://www.healthfitnessrevolution.com/top-10-health-benefits-water-aerobics/

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2016/02/19/benefits-water-exercises.aspx

http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swimming/health_benefits_water_exercise.html

http://www.core-condition.com/core-exercises/are-pool-workouts-productive-the-benefits-of-resistance-training-in-water/

http://www.besthealthmag.ca/best-you/fitness/7-reasons-to-try-aquafit/

Not one of those mention hiking with a pack on in the ocean. I can see a quick death by drowning occuring fairly often.

Dogwood
09-11-2016, 11:08
One from Mass and one from Maine likely neither who know the GULF of MEXICO BEACHES or the GULF'S TYPICAL CONDITIONS commenting on things they aren't familiar. I'm not suggesting anyone get into the open exposed Atlantic Ocean's larger typical beach waves/surf or sometimes uneven bottom or into a rip current anywhere or enter the Gulf of Mexico under high surf conditions. The Gulf of Mexico beaches are typically wide sandy gently contouring(few steep underwater drop offs unless near inlets, passes, etc) with VERY MODERATE SURF. Hence, why the Gulf of Mexico isn't normally suggested as a surfing destination in AL, Fl or TX for professional surfers.

http://alabamarealestate.beachmls.net/2016/04/gulf-shores-condo-for-sale-by-owner.html

Picture of typical Gulf Shores Alabama Gulf of Mexico conditions I was suggesting to wade wearing a loaded backpack.

Not writing a book. Seems common backpacking sense should not have to be always communicated to those offering opinions in a backpacking forum, but same conditions apply wading in the Gulf of Mexico, a more protected body of water than the open Atlantic or Pacific Oceans, as does fording a body of waste deep water backpacking. i.e.; unbuckle hip belt or wade the gentle shores of the Gulf of Mexico wearing only a book bag type backpack with no hip belt, don't go too deep, don't enter Gulf under higher surf conditions, etc.

Why don't we stay on topic suggesting to the OP solutions rather than debating me as seems both your intent?

rafe
09-11-2016, 11:19
Really Rick? Interesting, especially since you don't even know how to spell the word advice much less offer it ...

Seems common backpacking sense should not have to be always communicated to those offering opinions in a backpacking forum, but same conditions apply wading in the Gulf of Mexico, a more protected body of water than the open Atlantic or Pacific Oceans, as does fording a body of waste deep water backpacking.

. . . . . . . .

Dogwood
09-11-2016, 14:39
Could have made my replies with a better attitude not being so in your face confrontational whether I know or think I'm right or not. I have to be responsible for my behavior. Apologies to Rick, Eglibe, and Rafe. :)

Bronk
09-11-2016, 17:17
I was living in Florida when I decided to attempt a thruhike. I worked on the 8th floor and started taking the stairs. Find someplace with a lot of steps.

Jwinder28
09-16-2016, 17:34
Listen man, disregard all these other asshats that just want to give you the bare minimum of their time and regurgitate a bunch of the hateful **** they probably heard before their hikes. Hell, they're probably so brain washed from the fear culture that they're saying the things that kept them from hiking or believing in the real message of the trail in the first place. That message is "believe in yourself and others because you're stronger than you know, and there are still good people and we're stronger together than all the hate", and when you realize your value as a person, then others cant help but start to see that too, and their surface judgments about you become more positive. You'd think hikers would realize some of the most important lessons like "it doesn't matter how long it takes you to get here, just that you keep making one step at a time". The fact that you're 42 is no excuse for someone to write you off or insinuate that you're irresponsible because you haven't found your rhythm yet. The fact that you're willing to shake your life up and try something totally new and step out of your comfort zone is amazing and profound. I cant believe the lack of support you're receiving from supposed "outdoors people". Maybe they need to spend less time getting cynical on the web and widen their perspectives in the face of real world beauty. ASSERT YOUR VALUE friend, because if you aren't your best friend then nobody is going to be. You are a brave and amazing human being, even if (what sounds like) your toxic family cant seem to wrap their minds around you trying something new and get their heads outta their asses long enough to show you some of the support that you so selflessly showed your nan. I'm here to tell you that you have friends everywhere in all the hills and dark corners, even if you haven't met us yet. How dare these ******** try to invalidate your struggle simply because they struggle too, that lack of compassion is a direct indicator that they are lesser men and need to be schooled about what real strength is. Real strength is lifting people up when they need it, because you can. If you have the ability, you have the responsibility. We are all in this together, as a culture, and that being forgotten is the greatest disservice we can do for our children. So that's why I took the time out of watching my Dad (who is also dying of dementia) today to write you this paragraph, because you deserve better. I want you to know that and believe that more than anything. You will hike, and it will hopefully show you what it showed me. That hope is worth it, and so are you. Anyone spewing anything but reasonable solutions to someone with a problem should be treated like how they're acting. Like a spoiled child. You aren't entitled for asking for help. They are for thinking that makes you less than them.

**** the haters, spread hope and remember. A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

Crookedfoot. (insta; Crooked_foot, hmu sometime)

Traffic Jam
09-16-2016, 22:11
Listen man, disregard all these other asshats that just want to give you the bare minimum of their time and regurgitate a bunch of the hateful **** they probably heard before their hikes. Hell, they're probably so brain washed from the fear culture that they're saying the things that kept them from hiking or believing in the real message of the trail in the first place. That message is "believe in yourself and others because you're stronger than you know, and there are still good people and we're stronger together than all the hate", and when you realize your value as a person, then others cant help but start to see that too, and their surface judgments about you become more positive. You'd think hikers would realize some of the most important lessons like "it doesn't matter how long it takes you to get here, just that you keep making one step at a time". The fact that you're 42 is no excuse for someone to write you off or insinuate that you're irresponsible because you haven't found your rhythm yet. The fact that you're willing to shake your life up and try something totally new and step out of your comfort zone is amazing and profound. I cant believe the lack of support you're receiving from supposed "outdoors people". Maybe they need to spend less time getting cynical on the web and widen their perspectives in the face of real world beauty. ASSERT YOUR VALUE friend, because if you aren't your best friend then nobody is going to be. You are a brave and amazing human being, even if (what sounds like) your toxic family cant seem to wrap their minds around you trying something new and get their heads outta their asses long enough to show you some of the support that you so selflessly showed your nan. I'm here to tell you that you have friends everywhere in all the hills and dark corners, even if you haven't met us yet. How dare these ******** try to invalidate your struggle simply because they struggle too, that lack of compassion is a direct indicator that they are lesser men and need to be schooled about what real strength is. Real strength is lifting people up when they need it, because you can. If you have the ability, you have the responsibility. We are all in this together, as a culture, and that being forgotten is the greatest disservice we can do for our children. So that's why I took the time out of watching my Dad (who is also dying of dementia) today to write you this paragraph, because you deserve better. I want you to know that and believe that more than anything. You will hike, and it will hopefully show you what it showed me. That hope is worth it, and so are you. Anyone spewing anything but reasonable solutions to someone with a problem should be treated like how they're acting. Like a spoiled child. You aren't entitled for asking for help. They are for thinking that makes you less than them.

**** the haters, spread hope and remember. A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

Crookedfoot. (insta; Crooked_foot, hmu sometime)

Thanks for this, love it! <3

4shot
09-17-2016, 07:52
**** the haters, spread hope

I lol'd. thanks for posting this.

-Rush-
09-18-2016, 06:43
Real strength is lifting people up when they need it, because you can.

It sure is a lot easier when they are in the ocean with a full pack and weights on.

volleypc
09-19-2016, 13:35
Why do so many people feel entitled to think someone owes them something. You have a job... great. if you can't make enough to pay for this then get a second job. I am sorry but I am so sick and tired of people asking for handouts instead of working, planning, and saving for something.

rafe
09-19-2016, 14:14
Why do so many people feel entitled to think someone owes them something. You have a job... great. if you can't make enough to pay for this then get a second job. I am sorry but I am so sick and tired of people asking for handouts instead of working, planning, and saving for something.

Haven't read the whole thread but I don't recall the OP asking for handouts.

volleypc
09-19-2016, 14:16
Haven't read the whole thread but I don't recall the OP asking for handouts.

Guess you and I have a different opinion on GoFundMe accounts.

rafe
09-19-2016, 14:42
Guess you and I have a different opinion on GoFundMe accounts.

Different thread.

Maydog
09-19-2016, 15:51
Same thread.

Different thread.