PDA

View Full Version : why is the stuff in my pack wet?

jefals
08-22-2016, 10:05
I had it packed, testing out the weight, and sitting on the back porch for the last couple of days. There's a 2.5l Osprey bladder in there, and this is in sunny, hot, dry Sacramento.
Well, not so hot right now; the mornings are cool
But I opened it up this morning, and everything is a little damp. Not soaking wet, tho. And the bladder is still showing 2.5l, tho the outside of it is also slightly damp. And some of the stuff that's damp was above the bladder.

I'm hoping this has nothing to do with the bladder and is because of natural condensation....or something like that...

Venchka
08-22-2016, 10:22
Were the damp items in a trash bag inside the pack? I assume this is your HMG pack? So much for waterproof backpacks.
Have a great trip!
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

jefals
08-22-2016, 10:32
no...not in a trash bag. Do I need to put it in a trash bag for protection from , I guess, the morning dew?

saltysack
08-22-2016, 10:43
Your brave to keep a bladder inside the pack without having your dry gear in something waterproof...another reason I don't use a bladder...my $.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HooKooDooKu
08-22-2016, 11:11
no...not in a trash bag. Do I need to put it in a trash bag for protection from , I guess, the morning dew?
I always place all the items I want to avoid getting wet inside a trash compactor bag (a little stronger that a basic trash bag). That way, my important stuff should stay dry in the rain, if I fall in a creek, or anything leaks inside my pack.

jefals
08-22-2016, 11:12
Your brave to keep a bladder inside the pack without having your dry gear in something waterproof...another reason I don't use a bladder...my $.02

Brave is probably the wrong word. It's probably the "nice" word, tho.☺
Ok, I'm putting the stuff in garbage bags. But still - I'm hoping this issue is due to the dew, and not a leaking bladder. Thoughts?

HooKooDooKu
08-22-2016, 11:40
It doesn't take much water to make things "damp" or simply wet feeling. So you might want to test your bladder for leaks. Keep in mind that stuffing you bladder in with your gear means it might have been under compression from the gear, so simply hanging the bladder and watching for leaks might not be enough.

Perhaps place the bladder inside a trash bag, seal the bag, and place some weight on the badder. If the bladder doesn't leak, there shouldn't be any wetness inside the bag.

saltysack
08-22-2016, 11:43
Brave is probably the wrong word. It's probably the "nice" word, tho.☺
Ok, I'm putting the stuff in garbage bags. But still - I'm hoping this issue is due to the dew, and not a leaking bladder. Thoughts?

Wet is wet...wet is cold!!! I'd try a compactor bag.

jefals
08-22-2016, 11:52
It doesn't take much water to make things "damp" or simply wet feeling. So you might want to test your bladder for leaks. Keep in mind that stuffing you bladder in with your gear means it might have been under compression from the gear, so simply hanging the bladder and watching for leaks might not be enough.

Perhaps place the bladder inside a trash bag, seal the bag, and place some weight on the badder. If the bladder doesn't leak, there shouldn't be any wetness inside the bag.
Thanks for this. I was about to head out for a section or two on the TRT this morning, and now thinking about it. I have had,a problem with a 3l camelbak that I know does leak when it's under pressure inside this pack, tho that bladder is fine in my other, bigger pack. I've hiked with the 2.5l in this pack before with no problem. But so far, it seems there's only a noticeable problem if the pack has been loaded up for days at a time...

Farr Away
08-22-2016, 13:06
We put our packs in the trunk; drove to the trailhead, and found both packs were soaked. Turned out to be an issue with a bite valve that wasn't "turned off".

-FA

Odd Man Out
08-22-2016, 13:36
Consider an odor barrier bag for your "must be dry" stuff (sleeping bag and clothes). They are lighter than compacter bags, water proof, and have the added advantage of helping to keep food odors off of your sleeping bag and clothes. There have been a couple recent threads about them.

dudeijuststarted
08-22-2016, 13:42
sounds like condensation to me. you can start with the Wal-Mart dry sacs and upgrade as you see fit from there.

jefals
08-22-2016, 13:47
We put our packs in the trunk; drove to the trailhead, and found both packs were soaked. Turned out to be an issue with a bite valve that wasn't "turned off".

-FA
I know that's not it, in my case. Although I've been reading that people are reporting proble n s with leaky Osprey bite valves. But the bite valve was on the outside of the pack....and, it's not leaking.

jefals
08-22-2016, 14:07
sounds like condensation to me. you can start with the Wal-Mart dry sacs and upgrade as you see fit from there.
That's what I'm hoping it is...Thanks!

saltysack
08-22-2016, 14:12
Consider an odor barrier bag for your "must be dry" stuff (sleeping bag and clothes). They are lighter than compacter bags, water proof, and have the added advantage of helping to keep food odors off of your sleeping bag and clothes. There have been a couple recent threads about them.

I bought some but the large isn't really a good fit...wider and shorter than compactor bag. I'm on the fence with them as pack liner.

jefals
08-22-2016, 14:35
how about the sleeping bag? with this backpack, the sleeping bag fits better if it's not in the compression sack. and I cram it in the bottom. I just tried putting it in a plastic garbage bag and shoving that in the backpack, but plastic bag easily split.
Does walmart or REI have dry sacks that the sleeping bag would fit in?

jefals
08-22-2016, 14:48
but, if I do put the sleeping bag in a dry sack, I think I'll lose the advantage of cramming it in loose? when it's in the compression sack, it's kinda like trying to pack a volleyball. I'm guessing, in a dry sack, it might be better than a colleyvall, but not as good as packing it loose...?

JC13
08-22-2016, 15:15
You need a contractor grade bag or a trash compactor bag. I used the same one for 10 days on the AT last month and the wife did the same. Put your sleeping bag in it, sleeping clothes, etc and then what I did was compress the bag into a small ball and slowly worked the air out. Then you roll it up stuff it in the pack and then pack stuff around it if you have gaps.

jefals
08-22-2016, 15:29
You need a contractor grade bag or a trash compactor bag. I used the same one for 10 days on the AT last month and the wife did the same. Put your sleeping bag in it, sleeping clothes, etc and then what I did was compress the bag into a small ball and slowly worked the air out. Then you roll it up stuff it in the pack and then pack stuff around it if you have gaps.
Ok, thanks

jefals
08-22-2016, 15:39
I'm thinking now that maybe y'all use these plastic bags, mainly because you're hiking the AT where you have to be concerned with wet weather, right? You aren't using them because you expect your bladders to be causing moisture problems - or are you? I would LOVE to get some of your rain, but the weather is bone-dry out here...

JC13
08-22-2016, 16:08
I have used it for both when I used a bladder, the water in it will cool overnight and cause condensation as the day heats up.

Just Bill
08-22-2016, 16:19
I had it packed, testing out the weight, and sitting on the back porch for the last couple of days. There's a 2.5l Osprey bladder in there, and this is in sunny, hot, dry Sacramento.
Well, not so hot right now; the mornings are cool
But I opened it up this morning, and everything is a little damp. Not soaking wet, tho. And the bladder is still showing 2.5l, tho the outside of it is also slightly damp. And some of the stuff that's damp was above the bladder.

I'm hoping this has nothing to do with the bladder and is because of natural condensation....or something like that...

Not knowing the weather in your area that'd be my guess.
Generally a 20 plus degree swing is enough to cool the water enough to then develop condensation in the morning. Sat a few days, and was on the porch in the shade so probably didn't get roasting hot in the sun during the day.
In theory- a trash compactor bag would have prevented the moisture from getting in- but your gear filled trash compactor bag might have just acted like a big bladder too filled with cold air and cold water and the pack itself would be damp.

Lotta "leaking" bladders on the hot humid AT are simply cold (40-50*) mountain spring water getting carried about on a 80-90* day with bazzilion % humidity.
"Ain't no such thing as a glass o' sweet tea that don't sweat in the summer, lol."

Course operator error is high on the list too- so double check things but if I remember right the Osprey's were pretty overbuilt bladders compared to a typical bladder so I doubt you messed up. Usually the only thing that I tend to do is accidentally compress the bite valve when I set the pack against something. If you have all the compression straps cranked down and a full bladder-any little pressure on the bite valve will cause it to leak.

Oh and if your shelter suddenly "fails" when you camp 5' from a mountain stream in Virginia in a katabatic valley- I'd be happy to buy it and your leaking water bladder for $20. :D

Just Bill
08-22-2016, 16:25
I'm thinking now that maybe y'all use these plastic bags, mainly because you're hiking the AT where you have to be concerned with wet weather, right? You aren't using them because you expect your bladders to be causing moisture problems - or are you? I would LOVE to get some of your rain, but the weather is bone-dry out here...

if you are using a trash compactor bag- just slide your bladder outside of it between your backpanel and the bag. No separate bag needed.

inevitably- be it condensation or an error- we all have a bladder leak. That said- we all walk in the rain every once in awhile too so getting wet once in a blue moon bit of an overblown issue I think.

If you lived and hiked on the water rich AT all the time... you might be able to dismiss the bladder as not worth the trouble. But for the rest of us who often have to carry 3-4 liters in other areas of the country... I'd learn to use a bladder. The safest to use is just a bladder with a cap. Give it a squeeze before you pack it up. After that, every part and piece beyond is a chance to fail but it's not that often that something leaks.

Slo-go'en
08-22-2016, 16:37
The 2.5L of water is causing the condensation to form due to it's thermal mass. This would not normally be a problem as you'd not have much of anything in the pack overnight.

jefals
08-22-2016, 16:45
The 2.5L of water is causing the condensation to form due to it's thermal mass. This would not normally be a problem as you'd not have much of anything in the pack overnight.

Great! I'm not sure what you mean by thermal mass -- but -- I was hoping it was something like that! :)
Thanks much!

saltysack
08-22-2016, 16:58
I've been using the same compactor bag for several years...put the bag in the pack first then stuff all dry cloths and quilt inside.

mikec
08-22-2016, 17:49
I always put a piece of Duct tape over the bite valve of my water bladder between the time I pack and the time that I hit the trail. And I also place all non-water proof items in a plastic freezer bag in my pack. At least these 2 actions make it less likely to have a pack full of wet stuff.

Alligator
08-23-2016, 01:38
Great! I'm not sure what you mean by thermal mass -- but -- I was hoping it was something like that! :)
Thanks much!If you are going to keep the bladder full overnight, you could also take it out of the pack.

Wise Old Owl
08-23-2016, 23:30
Swell I read most of the posts - I am with Odd Man Out... you misjudged the condensation... forget the trash bag around the bladder - won't work... I use a good trash bag for the entire back pack - not the bladder now. For the bladder I use a well made Reflectix with foil tape... Why? It reflects the heat from by back to not heat the water. I use a sill dry bag for the down sleep system and everything else is basically waterproof. No condensation will happen with this system unless its ex stream temps.

Hope this helps... if not request pics.

Leo L.
08-24-2016, 04:45
Not sure if this applies to the specific situation described, but I found that having sweaty cloths in the pack will attract humidity and cause condensation over night.
In real hiking life you will hardly ever put your sweaty clothes inside the pack overnight, but rather try to air them out.

neghsmoke
08-25-2016, 07:34
I can only assume it's exactly like a solar still. Anything that was holding any moisture at all, sat in the sun and condensate traveled upwards to settle on gear near the top of the pack.

Bronk
08-25-2016, 12:42
Best get used to everything in your pack being a little damp and smelling like mildew.